Proper no-PvP toggle!

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Proper no-PvP toggle!

Unread post by Wain »

It looks like they're working towards a proper PvP toggle in WoD that will prevent you accidentally flagging yourself when you hit some nob who is jumping up and down on the mob you're trying to loot, or try to heal someone already flagged.

To me, this is the most exciting feature of WoD I've heard so far. Keep in mind it's just something they're working towards, so it could still not happen.

Bashiok's post today:
The systems that can cause someone to flag can absolutely at times be involuntary, which is notably frustrating.
In any case we are continuing toward a goal of a PvP on/off toggle for players on PvE realms to be added in Warlords of Draenor, which would absolutely and in all situations allow someone to refrain from becoming flagged regardless of their actions. Heals toward flagged players would fail, coalescing to PvP realms wouldn't be possible, misclicks and AoE's would never damage a flagged opponent, etc. It's actually quite a bit of work because of all the systems involved, but it's still something we think PvE players should have, and how the game should work for them.
Frankly I'm surprised it wasn't this way from the start. Much as I understand WoW's systems are complex, I can't help but feel this was an excuse and some sociopath in the early days really just liked the idea that players might accidentally get flagged :P
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Re: Proper no-PvP toggle!

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Man I hope they do this. I can't count the amount of people who flag themselves in the Timeless Isles around the rares DX
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Awh. Guess I'll have to go 'hunting' in other ways then D:

Siggy under construction!

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Good, good. Involuntary pvp should be reserved for pvp servers.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Yay just yay! I used to HATE those ppl on the BC island...on top of the flight master ergh!

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

THANK GOD OMG YES!

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

This is AWESOME news!!! Especially if it comes to pass!!! So many times getting flagged for healing a person who was flagged, or AoE on world boss adds and bam! flagged because some ass on the opposite faction was waiting there...

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

pawprintedheart
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, WrA

Unread post by pawprintedheart »

Oh thank God!! I'm tired of the people who flag themselves on the Timeless when fighting the big bosses, only to wait for you to get tagged and attack you. And ha! I'll finally be able to farm for that sprite darter egg/silk without having to worry about accidentally tagging the night elf npcs. Never was a problem til the other night when an alliance decided to use my accidental flag of myself to flag themself and do their best to chase me off. :headbang: I sooooo can't wait for this!!!
Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Norgannon EU (H) - Thrall EU (H) - Antonidas EU(A)

Unread post by Finduilas »

I really hope it can be done. My realm is an "ally" realm. Around 80% of our population is ally and I'm horde. I can't count how many wipes we had on worldbosses due to flagged allys jumping around like bunnys in hope to flag all our raid and then kill us all. It's also the reason why I came to use the glyph of fetch on the Timeless isle. tons of allys stacking flagged on killed rares waiting to kill you with 10 allys versus 1 horde is just horrible. Now I just target the boss with its Silver Dragon Symbol and let my pet fetch the loot -> no clicking around on flagged players.
I absolutely love open world pvp (when levelling in the barrens I always logg out Findu on X-road) but only if it's a fair situation. Sadly our allys are mostly dickheads on Norgannon. They kill rares while you're taming, they steal rares while you are clearing the nearby adds, they make good use of /spit and afterwards /laugh. I was on other servers with low horde population but I never met so many horrible allys as on Norgannon - seems like my server is a pit to collect them. If I had any chance against them I'd do more open pvp by flagging myself, but no they only show up in packs :(

current signature thanks to Ashaine

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

While this is a good step and loooong over due, I still wish they'd just leave PVP only to PVP servers.

I mean aside from when you run into an enemy town or city, it should be completely disabled on PVE servers
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

So finally a "No" means "No", huh?
/like :)

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

This is a long overdue improvement.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

"About time" is all I can say. I had always wanted to see a "lawful" option like some other games have had, where you can't PVP at all on that character (which would also mean you couldn't get some achievements as they are in game, but that was a tradeoff I was willing to make).

I've always been strictly PVE and I think my main has only ever killed 2 other players total (neither was accidental, but I wasn't proud of it either). At least as a hunter you have some control over it: Fetch is a great way to avoid accidentally clicking someone while looting, and you can't AE flag with hunter abilites nor flag from buffing others. But I always felt bad especially for healers especially, that they'd be healing a world boss and then a single flagged player would show up and all the healers would get flagged too.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

peanutbuttercup wrote:you can't AE flag with hunter abilites nor flag from buffing others
Sometimes when I have one of my spirit beasts out, I'll throw a heal on someone just for fun. Usually I'm good about checking for flags first, but I have been careless on occasion.
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

OH THANK GOD!
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

GormanGhaste wrote:
peanutbuttercup wrote:you can't AE flag with hunter abilites nor flag from buffing others
Sometimes when I have one of my spirit beasts out, I'll throw a heal on someone just for fun. Usually I'm good about checking for flags first, but I have been careless on occasion.
Well that's true though it falls in line with healers getting flagged through no fault of their own from just doing what they're supposed to be doing, as opposed to "Hey I used Multi-shot... what the heck?!"

There might be an ability that would accidentally AE flag you as a hunter but I haven't seen it happen yet.
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

peanutbuttercup wrote:
There might be an ability that would accidentally AE flag you as a hunter but I haven't seen it happen yet.
My candidates would be: explosive trap, aggro-whole-instance aka barrage and multishot/beast cleave :P I don't know, though, up until now I've mostly played on a pvp serv anyway.

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Myrrmi wrote:
peanutbuttercup wrote:
My candidates would be: explosive trap, aggro-whole-instance aka barrage and multishot/beast cleave :P I don't know, though, up until now I've mostly played on a pvp serv anyway.
Yeah I've fallen into the pvp trap with multishot more then once with the timeless Isles rares and I think explosive trap might of done it too. I use both all the time so it's hard to tell what skill flags me XD
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

cowmuflage wrote:
Myrrmi wrote:
peanutbuttercup wrote:
Yeah I've fallen into the pvp trap with multishot more then once with the timeless Isles rares and I think explosive trap might of done it too. I use both all the time so it's hard to tell what skill flags me XD
Hmm I have used explosive, barrage and multi/beast cleave in the middle of massive PVP flagged world boss groups and never been flagged by it (i.e. Galleon tended to make you just fire at anything that moved).

The last time I accidentally did flag I had been too lazy to click on Fetch and went to loot a rare on Timeless Isle and ended up auto shooting a player who was also looting - but I ran away since I didn't mean to do it and the guy didn't follow. Whew!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I did notice the legendary cloak proc force pvp when I switched targets by tab targetting. It just keeps firing away, so if your tab target switches to a pvp player, even for a second, you can get flagged, even if you're not in attack mode. Between that and all the battle pets I've accidentally mowed down I could burn that cloak at times. :P
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.