Anyone else got the "computer can't handle WoD" blues?

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Kintsugi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Elune, Wyrmrest Accord, Earthen Ring

Anyone else got the "computer can't handle WoD" blues?

Unread post by Kintsugi »

While I'm excited about the expansion, the new character models and all that...I know I'll be watching from the sidelines. My computer doesn't even meet minimum system requirements for WoW now (how I can still play, albeit with a whopping 6 fps, is beyond me). I know there's no way my computer will be able to handle WoD, and no way I can come up with the money for one that can *sigh* Anyone else in the position of "dang, this will be awesome...too bad I can't play it"?
Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Re: Anyone else got the "computer can't handle WoD" blues?

Unread post by Aeladrine »

I am a little bit. I've been needing to get a new computer for a long time, and I should HOPEFULLY be getting one before WoD comes out. If not... I'll hope I can somehow run it?
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog

Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

I feel for you :( Till around the middle of MoP I've been playing WoW on this wee Shelly:
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabook ... _Seashell/
I was happy when she managed to get to 5fps, and it was only possible on poorest setting posible, with a zoomed-in straigh downward look, so my area of vision was around 20-30y at best. The Shrine was Lagaran's older brother and things like Elegon's or Primordius room would downright freeze me just after a pull. Of course anything more than leechng to other people backs in LFR was out of question.

Thankfully I was able to get a new machine and I'm quite confident in Heiral's capability to handle WoD. He runs MoP on Good without trouble, and I'm even able to raid in a 25-man group with only occasional lag.
Still, I've cringed when they announced, with such an enthusiasm, that after passing through the Dark Portal, you'll see thousands upon thousands of Iron Horde forces. Like... really? Add to it hundreds upon hundreds of players in the early-expac rush and just enjoy the (slide)show. I know Heiral'll do ok, in the worst case I'll just have to tone the settings down a bit, but I don't want to lose friends who can't justify the expense of getting a new machine just for a game :/
I think the object clutter and lightning quality is the main problem for the hardware to handle, for sure much more serious than the new models. I don't (and didn't with Shelly as well) see much difference between the performance around old races characters and pandamoniums.

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Rhapture
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Stormrage

Unread post by Rhapture »

I haven't been able to play for a while now. My laptop is dying and blackscreens as soon as log on, lately it even crashes in facebook. There is no way I can play the expansion. I do need a computer for school though, so I may have to get a new one out of necessity. If that happens I will be sure it is a desktop that can run WoW.

Many thanks to Sookie for the awesome signature and avatar

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I'm saving up for a Puppy build + a new version of windows. Hopefully I'll have it by WoD.
Smyelmdar
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem/Kilrogg/Nagrand EU

Unread post by Smyelmdar »

I've been thinking of this too. Also, my computer is so old that it can't run anything above Windows XP. And since they will not be updating/supporting XP anymore soon, I'm gonna have a serious problem. :(

I'll be waiting on the highland, with its wonderful serenity.
Where the stars glow and the brooks flow, that's my way of life.
When the mountains on the highland, and the nature is surrounding me, when the wind blows, that's all I need.

Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU- Kazak

Unread post by Malackai »

Smyelmdar wrote:I've been thinking of this too. Also, my computer is so old that it can't run anything above Windows XP. And since they will not be updating/supporting XP anymore soon, I'm gonna have a serious problem. :(
If you have some experience with building your own pc you can always look for some secondhand parts.

Thats how I usually upgrade my pc financially it is less painful seeing you don't have to buy a completely new pc :P once every while I just get a new motherboard plus a CPU plug in my current HDD and RAM and I am done for an other 5+ years or so XD
My flightrising: Flight Rising
My DA page: http://malackai.deviantart.com/
Smyelmdar
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem/Kilrogg/Nagrand EU

Unread post by Smyelmdar »

Malackai wrote:
Smyelmdar wrote:I've been thinking of this too. Also, my computer is so old that it can't run anything above Windows XP. And since they will not be updating/supporting XP anymore soon, I'm gonna have a serious problem. :(
If you have some experience with building your own pc you can always look for some secondhand parts.

Thats how I usually upgrade my pc financially it is less painful seeing you don't have to buy a completely new pc :P once every while I just get a new motherboard plus a CPU plug in my current HDD and RAM and I am done for an other 5+ years or so XD
Yeah, that's probably how I'll do it too. Unless my family decides to give me a new computer. Rounding a sharp corner soon, and then we usually give bigger gifts. :P

I'll be waiting on the highland, with its wonderful serenity.
Where the stars glow and the brooks flow, that's my way of life.
When the mountains on the highland, and the nature is surrounding me, when the wind blows, that's all I need.