Hydras WILL be tameable!!!!!

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Schlimazel
Realm: Mal'Ganis

Re: Hydras WILL be tameable!!!!!

Unread post by Schlimazel »

I was all for that new hydra model, and then I saw the walking animation.

I don't want it anymore. :I
Yoruko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem (EU)

Unread post by Yoruko »

Is there any information if they're going to keep the old models in game/tameable? There seems to be a distinct lack of a white newmodel!hydra so I'm a little worried. D:

Anyway, otherwise I really love this new model. The change to a quadruped body is rather surprising, but I welcome it! Large reptilian beasts are right up my alley. >:3 The purple/black and green ones are especially nice looking to me personally.
Miacoda
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

Yoruko wrote:Is there any information if they're going to keep the old models in game/tameable? There seems to be a distinct lack of a white newmodel!hydra so I'm a little worried. D:

Anyway, otherwise I really love this new model. The change to a quadruped body is rather surprising, but I welcome it! Large reptilian beasts are right up my alley. >:3 The purple/black and green ones are especially nice looking to me personally.
I don't think the old hydra models are going anywhere. I would think Blizzard has a very clear understanding that they have a huge fanbase. :lol:

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Yoruko wrote:Is there any information if they're going to keep the old models in game/tameable? There seems to be a distinct lack of a white newmodel!hydra so I'm a little worried. D:

I am sure both the old world and Outland models will be tameable. After all, in the initial post in which he announced tameable Hydras, his lowbie nelf test hunter is using the old hydra model:

https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/449614256095641601

Schlimazel wrote:I was all for that new hydra model, and then I saw the walking animation.

I'm sure they're not done with it yet. I mean.. how many iterations of the Quilen skeleton did we get again? Plus, the model being awesome, but the walk animations looking a bit off is being pointed out already!
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Malackai wrote:WTB megaera like coloring it would be awesome for a rare spawn I would camp it so hard >_>

That's.. that's actually a really good idea for a rarespawn. Go suggest it to Muffinus. It gives me Chromatus vibes, too!
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Yoruko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem (EU)

Unread post by Yoruko »

Qraljar wrote:I am sure both the old world and Outland models will be tameable. After all, in the initial post in which he announced tameable Hydras, his lowbie nelf test hunter is using the old hydra model:
Oh yeah! I did see that screenshot before but I guess I forgot about it in my excitement! :D Thanks for reminding me. *goes to stare at the white hydra model some more* SOON.
Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

This is the first thing that gets me excited about WoD yay new Hydras! I like the redish one.
Rower
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Rower »

Schlimazel wrote:I was all for that new hydra model, and then I saw the walking animation.

I just saw it too...and I agree, what a terrible animation (imo) :lol: Well I'll tame one of the old ones ;)
Neilaren
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo (H), Mok'nathal (A)

Unread post by Neilaren »

Qraljar wrote:
Malackai wrote:WTB megaera like coloring it would be awesome for a rare spawn I would camp it so hard >_>

That's.. that's actually a really good idea for a rarespawn. Go suggest it to Muffinus. It gives me Chromatus vibes, too!
I could see that working. Combines all the nice vibrant color choices too (poor fourth black hydra color, though, maybe it could be the tail, heh).

This quadraped hydra model reminds me of those dragon-type enemies from Final Fantasy X. Well, I'm pretty sure they were referred to as a "dragon" species. Most of the names I can't remember but a late-game red one was called Nidhogg. The faces on these models are... strange, though?
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Qraljar wrote:http://i.imgur.com/b5YHw2k.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/amLoLDr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FH33ePs.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CKH8v2l.jpg

Pictures of the new hydra model. This also by Inico. This might be helpful to Wain especially, if he wants to add them to the thread, but also just nice for people who want to look at detailed stills!
I like the blue and red ones. They look nice with the 4 legs.
Schlimazel
Realm: Mal'Ganis

Unread post by Schlimazel »

Qraljar wrote:

I am sure both the old world and Outland models will be tameable. After all, in the initial post in which he announced tameable Hydras, his lowbie nelf test hunter is using the old hydra model:

https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/449614256095641601

Not only that, but when have they ever replaced a model like that? Getting new tiger models in Pandaria didn't replace the old models. Stumpyhydras are here to stay!
Qraljar wrote:

I'm sure they're not done with it yet. I mean.. how many iterations of the Quilen skeleton did we get again? Plus, the model being awesome, but the walk animations looking a bit off is being pointed out already!
And I was one of the people pointing it out!
But that's true, the Quilen did get changed, so there's still hope for the new hydra.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

so I wonder when I died- seeing as how I have gone to heaven. I mean that black one? seriously? its like everything that's good in life all wrapped into one glorious ball of awesome. I need a fainting couch right now!
your name shall be Shkkar and you shall be my Shkkar *snuggles black one.*
soon...

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I hate to be a downer but I'm afraid I don't care for this new hydra at all as it looks right now :( Short necks on freaking HUGE body. Maybe it took steroids and its, er, heads shrunk while its body grew. I feel they at least need to stretch the necks a bit.

I do like the tail though!
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I definitely hear you Wain, the small heads/necks are the main issue I keep seeing, especially when I look at it from the side since the body looks way too big for them.
If you view it as a creature with only one head then the size difference is quite glaring. This has no alterations aside from erasing the other two heads:

Still, I might just be easy to please, but everything else looks so nice and polished I think I could overlook it.
Attachments
Image1.png
Image1.png (190.88 KiB) Viewed 3631 times
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Just uploading a few cropped versions of Veph's shots (thanks Veph!) to use in the OP.
Attachments
blue.png
blue.png (296.98 KiB) Viewed 3631 times
green.png
green.png (303.86 KiB) Viewed 3631 times
red.png
red.png (318.49 KiB) Viewed 3631 times
purple.png
purple.png (297.55 KiB) Viewed 3631 times
pawprintedheart
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, WrA

Unread post by pawprintedheart »

I agree. Head is smalllllll. But darn, looking at those screenshots...I might not care. o.O
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

And here is a YouTube video of the colour variations and some movements. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltxd1cUQ6fg

(Please excuse if this was already linked, I could not see if it was)
Vephriel wrote: Still, I might just be easy to please, but everything else looks so nice and polished I think I could overlook it.
This ^

As much as I think the model would very likely improve by adjusting the size of the head/heads to a larger proportion, it already looks so dam smexy I almost don’t want to seem ungrateful... :?

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

I didn't care for the old world hydras, only interested in the BWD one just because it looks pretty cool and might provide a challenge to tame.

But these new ones are pretty sweet. I would totally tame one. To me the heads dont look too small, the front legs/chest look way too hulking for the rest of the body. The walk animation is funky, but if the pet was actually running beside me, the animation makes more sense to me.

Overall, step in a good direction. Quilin also had a lot of pose changes before Pandaria went live, so I wouldn't be surprised if these guys got tweaked a bit too. But definitely will get a hydra now!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I'm afraid for me it's the reverse. I can ignore small imperfections and lower resolutions as they're not really obvious with your camera panned back. What you do see is the overall shape, and for me that thing will just feel a bit wrong.

Still, it's early days and it could look very different in a couple of patches. Also, if they don't want the necks to be too extend too far normally, I wonder if they could experiment with "swan" necks, so they fold back in an "S" when the thing is moving, but it's still obvious they're long and they can extend out during various animations. Maybe it's too difficult, not sure.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

The proportions are the major turning off point for me. It looks like someone got sloppy with a growth ray and forgot to do the head XD