Changes to Hunter Pet Families in 6.0

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Changes to Hunter Pet Families in 6.0

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

PVPers would scream about a pet having a deathgrip though. Like... I can hear the proto-QQ even now.

They could make it so it doesn't affect players but that seems like more trouble than they're historically willing to go to.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

chrth

Unread post by chrth »

Forget Deathgrip, we need Lifegrip. Pet picks up player and carries her over to you. We'll give it to dogs.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Nachtwulf wrote:PVPers would scream about a pet having a deathgrip though. Like... I can hear the proto-QQ even now.

They could make it so it doesn't affect players but that seems like more trouble than they're historically willing to go to.

Yeah, I know, sadly just a pipe dream :(

Especially as they have already removed Horn Toss from Rhinos (You know, cause that was so OP with its massive damage and its super short cooldown…. not -_-) I don't think I have actually EVER seen a Rhino in PVP come to think of it. :|

But yeah anything interesting on that front that may cause any PVP issues will be a no-go. Just looking at what was left (Fun wise) that thy could maybe use in pet families. The fact that we are getting flutter (slow fall) got me thinking. Anyways, yeah wishful thinking on the pet grip.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Tankperson
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Tankperson »

Oh sure finally they come up with awsome new wolf models and they give raptors crit buff : sigh : Oh well I will be keeping a spore bat in my rotation now with the haste. But if it's true shale spiders no longer being exotic will be really nice as I like those just like Suv more then BM
Tankperson
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Tankperson »

SpiritBinder wrote:
Nachtwulf wrote:PVPers would scream about a pet having a deathgrip though. Like... I can hear the proto-QQ even now.

Yeah, I know, sadly just a pipe dream :(

Especially as they have already removed Horn Toss from Rhinos (You know, cause that was so OP with its massive damage and its super short cooldown…. not -_-) I don't think I have actually EVER seen a Rhino in PVP come to think of it. :|

But yeah anything interesting on that front that may cause any PVP issues will be a no-go. Just looking at what was left (Fun wise) that thy could maybe use in pet families. The fact that we are getting flutter (slow fall) got me thinking. Anyways, yeah wishful thinking on the pet grip.
I used a Rhino once in eye of the storm punt a few ally's off the cliff and then that was it hate really really big pets.
Jhonny Lopes
Realm: Azralon

Unread post by Jhonny Lopes »

Im loving the changes!! A lot of pet families will have more utility on raids now, im happy i will be able to play with my others pets and keep helping the group with a cool buff/debuff spell :D

Also, are you sure about the hydra and the riverbeast special ability? Where did you see it? I was hoping for them to need to make a quest or hunt a item like we did with the direhorns and then they could get a bonus ability to make them special ;/

And please blizz, buff direhorns! I love to use my saura but she got a useless ability x_x
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

If they did add a death grip, I'd suggest sandreavers. They seem to have a knack for teleporting attackers back to them. At least 2 of the 3 in the game do, which granted isn't many.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Re: moving buffs around...

RIGHT NOW yeah, maybe crit isn't the best, or mastery's useless or whatever. Where the coins will land -after- this is all over? I have absolutely no idea. For all I know, a crit buff might be exactly what we want. Also, none of these give multistrike, which is one of the new secondary stats they're adding.... I think we're more likely to see that (what a great stat for hydras) than anything else.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

I was kind of hoping the new hook wasp would get a death grip. (They have an uncanny resemblance to a StarCraft unit that can do just that.) But oh well. still hoping Hydras get their buffed moved around since right now they will be contending with my spirit beast. but all in all I am loving a lot of these new pet changes.

Besides, I tried using a rhino in RBGs and after two or three games I abandoned her. I probably wouldn't fair well with a special pet ability you have to position- and tanks would hate me in heroics. :lol:
Last edited by SylviaDragon on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

SpiritBinder wrote: I don't think I have actually EVER seen a Rhino in PVP come to think of it. :|
Should have sold tickets for my CtA EotS from the start of MoP :P Daisy the psycho-rhino + glyphed explosive trap = "I believe you can fly~!!" on the flag respawn spot :D
True, though it was situational at best, and really useable just for those who felt like being a bit trollly.

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
chrth

Unread post by chrth »

Nachtwulf wrote:Re: moving buffs around...

RIGHT NOW yeah, maybe crit isn't the best, or mastery's useless or whatever. Where the coins will land -after- this is all over? I have absolutely no idea. For all I know, a crit buff might be exactly what we want. Also, none of these give multistrike, which is one of the new secondary stats they're adding.... I think we're more likely to see that (what a great stat for hydras) than anything else.
There has been no hint that Blizzard will be adding a buff for multistrike (or any other new secondary), and since it sounds like they want to trim the number of buffs/debuff I find it unlikely they'll be adding one. If they do, yes, hydras make perfect sense for a multistrike buff :)

Administrative note: When I have time later this week I'll clean up the first two posts (I'll make a separate section for Exotic abilities) as well as put in links to the abilities to make it easier to verify them each build.
Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU- Kazak

Unread post by Malackai »

For those that want to check the skills out in a sheet overview I updated my personal list.
Ill try to keep it updated as much as I can.

Right now it seems some pets have an overload of skills where others still seem to be lacking.

Google doc link

edit: adjusted the link so you can semi-filter on skills
My flightrising: Flight Rising
My DA page: http://malackai.deviantart.com/
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock »

While I imagine that PVPers are sad, it will be nice to bring a better variety of models to raids. Boars are high on my list.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Honestly? If the shift is to move the pets' PvP abilities to the hunter directly, I'm not going to be sad at all. Pet micromanagement in PvP is horrific, at least for my skill level.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

Moving PvP abilities to the hunter would be cool. We could even (however doubtful) get a melee ability or two back. If by some rare chance you don't have a pet with crit, we could give raptor strike or wing clip back, maybe just glyph it in with disengage. Raptor strike, you do a melee sweep in front of you for a tiny bit of damage, leap back and get a temporary crit boost. And wing clip, of course, would just slow them and do a disengage. But there's that web talent for something similar already... hrm. Anyone else miss hunters with melee abilities?

Back to business, I'm looking forward to some of these buffs diversifying and becoming more spread out, but it feels like some uniqueness in each pet, BM or no is being taken away. I feel like the devilsaur's eating ability won't be used much just like the feed pet ability they kept even after Happiness was removed.

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

Ickabob
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Ickabob »

Now we'll see more variety in what pets people bring, especially in PVP. So tired of seeing people using the same lame spiders or monkeys.
Neilaren
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo (H), Mok'nathal (A)

Unread post by Neilaren »

Did I DIE and go to a heaven where Nether Rays got attention!?

You get a Nether Ray! And YOU get a Nether Ray! EVERYONE GETS A NETHER RAY!

[You can hear Neilaren's screeching echoing for miles.]

Now they just gotta add a rare spawn named Terrato and I'll KNOW I'm getting my chain yanked.
chrth

Unread post by chrth »

It looks like Spirit Beasts may be missing an ability; it feels like they should get another one to match up with the other exotics (I don't think they would consider prowl equal, but maybe they do?)
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

PrimalTazza wrote:...
Back to business, I'm looking forward to some of these buffs diversifying and becoming more spread out, but it feels like some uniqueness in each pet, BM or no is being taken away. I feel like the devilsaur's eating ability won't be used much just like the feed pet ability they kept even after Happiness was removed.
The eating ability used to be a cunning family talent called carrion feeder, which was a little weird because hyenas and carrion birds, which you'd think would eat carrion, couldn't. A self heal for devilsaur would be redundant, but a graphical 'grow' wouldn't be. That used to be a side-effect of monstrous bite. If my devilsaur would increase in size for each body it gobbled up, I'd definitely bring it, even if there was no utility to the ability.
Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU- Kazak

Unread post by Malackai »

Updated the sheet with the latest Mmo changes:

Google doc link
My flightrising: Flight Rising
My DA page: http://malackai.deviantart.com/