Models old and new

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Models old and new

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Someone needed to do this.
Chimera
Boar
Elekk
Clefthoof
Talbuk
Ogre
Wolf
Velen

There you go. Give me more and I'll update it.
MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Models old and new

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

I really like how Velen's face looks now for some reason...
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Thanks for these!

...not as enamored of the boar now that I've seen a side view. Looks like it should tip over onto its snout.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah I think they did a great job with Velen. He looks just like Velen still, but more like hi-def Velen. Great work.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Noooooo~! Don't touch my Talbuk D: I hope I can still keep the old version. I love the short tail and the way the face looks on the old one ;.; The new one is nice, but still. Old one plz.

Also, the new Chim needs some meat on dem bones.

Other than that though, they look pretty nice~!

Siggy under construction!

Chimera
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

I need like thirty Talbuks and wolves.... each. >.>

Also I saw a comment about these new models on tumblr (the ones who got horns and/or super muscles) and it was actually really funny, depressingly sad, and really seemingly true.

Blizzard has a masculinity problem.

^not my opinion or thought when I first saw these models, just the gist of what the comment I had read on tumblr said, but I do actually have to agree with them now that it's been put out there.

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

I did not care for the comment on Tumblr saying everything is phallic. Like last time I checked phallic things tend not to be spiky :p Least to me anyway :lol:
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Chimera wrote: Also I saw a comment about these new models on tumblr (the ones who got horns and/or super muscles) and it was actually really funny, depressingly sad, and really seemingly true.

^not my opinion or thought when I first saw these models, just the gist of what the comment I had read on tumblr said, but I do actually have to agree with them now that it's been put out there.
Yeaaah, I saw that post and laughed. I like the new models and all (especially the boars and wolves) but I feel like they're going a tiny bit too far with the SPIKEY PLATEY SPIKES thing. The elekk and clefthoof just... look kind of ridiculous now. >.< They don't need spikes coming off of their already huge tusks! I like armor plating and spikes as much as anyone, but they kind of look comical now.

I am impressed by the quality of the models, I'm just never going to take the wildlife seriously.

(I didn't think it was phallic at all! Or at least, the comment on tumbr that I read. Masculinity problem, to me, = if it's not spikey and vicious it's not MANLY. Has more to do with stereotypes than- uh, anatomy.)

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Awesome I love the new talbuks and wolves :)

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

To me, the tusks on the new Elekks and Clefthooves are far too big. I like the bodies but the poor Clefthoof would never be able to graze at all with those huge tusks preventing him from lowering his head. I really think the Clefthooves should lose the tusks completely and the Elekk's should be about half the size. I prefer the old Chimera look but the rest of the new ones I really like.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

I still think the new Talbuk would work as the leader of a herd of the old ones.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Also I like seeing how the effects of the fel energies had on things too. It seems to make you less bulky :lol:
Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

LupisDarkmoon wrote:
Chimera wrote: Also I saw a comment about these new models on tumblr (the ones who got horns and/or super muscles) and it was actually really funny, depressingly sad, and really seemingly true.

Yeaaah, I saw that post and laughed. I like the new models and all (especially the boars and wolves) but I feel like they're going a tiny bit too far with the SPIKEY PLATEY SPIKES thing. The elekk and clefthoof just... look kind of ridiculous now. >.< They don't need spikes coming off of their already huge tusks! I like armor plating and spikes as much as anyone, but they kind of look comical now.

I am impressed by the quality of the models, I'm just never going to take the wildlife seriously.

(I didn't think it was phallic at all! Or at least, the comment on tumbr that I read. Masculinity problem, to me, = if it's not spikey and vicious it's not MANLY. Has more to do with stereotypes than- uh, anatomy.)
Yeah, I definitely just kinda disregarded their idea that it was cause of a 'lack of' certain parts and focused on exactly how you described it :lol:

I'm wondering wtf they were thinking though, honestly, giving Clefthooves a whole crapton of huge spikes and TUSKS. The old Outland Clefthooves don't have any spikes aside from the blunt one on the front and no tell tale signs they EVER had tusks. Then all of a sudden they have huge ones all over. I know obviously the nether magic warped these creatures but this is just ridiculous and way over the top. Of course they do look cool though if we push aside the model differences, despite the tusks being far too large and awkward, and I do hope both models will find their way into a new family, along with Talbuks and Riverbeasts (we can hope right? :D)

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

I like to think that the ones we have now and these ones being two branches of the Clefthoof tree. With the new ones dieing out when Draenor became Outland.
Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

cowmuflage wrote:I like to think that the ones we have now and these ones being two branches of the Clefthoof tree. With the new ones dieing out when Draenor became Outland.
Oh, that would be interesting actually, I have a feeling that Blizz will just write the differences off to the nether energy warping everything, but I would looooove for there to be distinct breeds with varying features aside from colors.

Unfortunately, my reason for doubt is because that means the original model would be in dire want of a skin overhaul (Blizz could just throw the old model in but then the graphics would look wonky side by side like that and perhaps to customers who like to complain, lazy) and they just produced a full on new model (minus, probably, an updated skeleton. Unless they want to tweak the skeletons of these new creatures to fit their skins)

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah I'm still wondering about this whole old vs new thing.

Some (like Velen) are clearly meant to be exactly the same thing, but higher res. Others *seem* to be intended to be the same beast as the Outland version, just bulkier and maybe less degenerated (remember, Draenor is meant to be a much more hostile world than Azeroth and so things are meant to be on steroids). But others seem to be different beasts in the same family. For example, clefthooves, elekks, chimaeras and wolves I cannot imagine them "degenerating" into the Outland versions. The Chimaeras, especially, seem to bear little relation at all.

So I wonder if, if they still look good enough, we'll see some of the Outland models used in parts of Draenor. I could still imagine most of them being usable. Maybe not the jagged old worgs though.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

I don't think the elekk look too ridiculous. Though they could loose a few inches to their tusks... Cleft hooves however I do agree look odd. I still like them a lot, just that it wouldn't hurt them to loose them completely or at least have tiny ones... But as I say with all models at least it's still alpha, and we could still see some changes.

And it would be nice to have a few old models in draenor. I wish even more though they'd just update the textures on the old ones if they do end up using them... Just leave the models themselves alone.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Look at all them polygons! :lol: :mrgreen:

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

All this does is give me hope that they are secretly giving us playable Ogres and Arrakoa
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Yoruko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem (EU)

Unread post by Yoruko »

I'm a little miffed that Blizzard is again going to the "let's add brown to every palette in game" way. I know it's just a personal pet peeve since brown is one of my least favourite shades, but does the talbuks really have to lose the original horn colour and be replaced with a mesh of brown and red? (As well as the much more simplified fur patterns. The contrasty dark patches are all but gone!) I always thought the original talbuk colours were really elegant and made them much more reminiscent of actual ungulates. The new one kinda looks like a... reptile? Some kind of a qilin?

All in all, the new models are very good and nice and I love them, but I wish the palettes were more true to the originals. Don't be afraid Blizzard! You don't need to go down the rocky road of "brown and grey palettes make your game serious!"

Edit:// I kept staring at the "white" talbuk a bit more and the base colour for the horns actually isn't exactly brown, but it really wouldn't hurt to be more steel-blue like the comparison palette. :S Maybe I just have rosy-nostalgia goggles for the Burning Crusade palettes.