Difference between Rylaks and Chimaeras

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Difference between Rylaks and Chimaeras

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

Both species look extremely similar. Why not put Rylaks in the Chimaera family and give us Clefthooves and put them in the Rhino family?
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Re: Difference between Rylaks and Chimaeras

Unread post by Slickrock »

Well, you could combine ravagers and sillithids as well.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

PorrasouxRex wrote:Both species look extremely similar. Why not put Rylaks in the Chimaera family and give us Clefthooves and put them in the Rhino family?
Allegedly because of the different animations.

But I find it questionable, given that the new Ravagers have new animations (for a big part, they do. They have a heavily modified Silithid skeleton), and the new Boar has Direhorn animations. There are various examples to refer to when trying to point out the inconsistencies, but I don't think they will change it. I mean.. I like the Rylak model, and I'm happy to see it tameable. But two things: I would have rather had it in the Chimera family, rather than letting the old Chimera family rot when it doesn't have to. This way, we could have had a more worthy family.. like Pterodactyls/Pterrorwings/Skyscreamers.

And 2. Above, (1) counts especially so when they're not only making a new family when they can put the Rylak in the existing family, but also don't plan to make the only other ever likely Rylak variation (the more reptile one with the venom sacs) tameable or a part of the Rylak family.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Slickrock wrote:Well, you could combine ravagers and sillithids as well.
That's only been true since the new ravager models, and even then, it isn't the same situation.

As for the original question...

Hook wasps now wasps due to similarity. Rylaks now tamable. New pet class? If so, can't you apply same logic and add to chimeras?
Muffinus wrote:It's got ground anims, and in practice doesn't look at all like a Chim, hence the new family.
Okay, so...

Similarities
* Two heads with horns
* Lizardlike/mammalian body and legs, feet with 3 claws
* Two long tails
* Bat-like wings (different style, though)

Differences
* Rylaks have grounded animations.
* New Rylaks are more mammalian in appearance than their mutated Outland cousins.

In-game spells seem to indicate the Rylaks have lightning/ice breath powers... similar to many existing Chimaeras.

But because this one doesn't fly at all and instead flops along the ground (Select "Run"), it is deserving of a different family. :?
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Imho, the model is chosen as the new family is so that it can showcase its flying animation while its levitate buff is active.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

pop wrote:Imho, the model is chosen as the new family is so that it can showcase its flying animation while its levitate buff is active.

I stand by the idea that they need to make a spell that they give to every pet that uses a model (they can make such a system no doubt) that can switch between flying and ground animations that is basically.. not a buff. Just a flavor ability that allows the player to switch between flying and ground animations.

This goes for:

Rylaks
Ravagers (new model)
Pterrorwings (if they ever become tameable)
Kunchongs (if they ever become tameable)
Dread Ravens (if they ever become tameable)
Nerubian flyers (bat-like ones)
Bats (if they ever get ground animations)

And many more. Really, it'd be such a waste if they didn't. And they can easily do it and make many people happy.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Zalani
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring, Arathor, Moon Guard(US)

Unread post by Zalani »

I love the new Rylaks,but I do agree with the fact that they should be in the same family as Chimeras.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Equeon wrote: Differences
* New Rylaks are more mammalian in appearance than their mutated Outland cousins.
Yeah, I always thought they'd make brilliant updates for the Azeroth chimaeras, which are more mammalian in form.

The unused new chimaera model would probably make a better match for the Outland ones and I do wonder if that was the designers' initial intent.

Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

compare the new Rylak to the old world chimera instead of the outlands one. its the exact same thing. one just has more bells and whistles on it. Honestly i think they just took a look at the dragonfly, realize they messed up and used this as a quick fix to hide the mistake. To put it bluntly, i think Rylaks are lazy.

so we know they have new animations and a new model and Blizz claims that it justifies a new family but if you take a quick look through other pet families you would see that this is not the case.

Dogs: demon hounds and mastiffs. different models and animations.
Silithid: three different models, each one looking drastically different from the other. completely different animations.
Worms: you got three different models there. two models share animations I think, then the grubs/caterpillars have their own set.
wasps: silithid and glow fly
Spirit beasts: a large range of models and animations. some solid some ghostly
Hydras! Aside from also having three heads, the new model looks nothing like the vanilla ones! new textures,models, ect. huge change. Still a hydra. (not that I'm complaining.)
Ravagers of course.
snakes. You have the standard cobra, the pythons who look to be coming in wod and best of all you have the flying-ghost-dragon-snakes they just added.

The list can just keep going on and on. They don't have an argument for it. Hopefully things will change seeing as its all still Alpha. I would really love to see Rylaks being a family of feathered raptors since we have the models for it. Or they could make the pterrorwings a family. they got lots of models both old and new and the family already has a strong fanbase filed with hungers begging blizz for their flying dinos. They wouldn't even have to think up a new ability for it since its a flying creature that could absorb the dragonfly-destined slowfall.

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

It really doesn’t need any extra confirming as the visual differences within other families are just so obviously much more diverse compared to that of the two now different families of Rylaks and Chimeras (even if they have completely different animations). But for those of us old enough to remember, each time I see this argument... This sucker pops into my head... in fact I've been whistling the dam thing all day now.

Oh the Memories :lol:

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Tsuki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Tsuki »

I guess it's like...
there are many turtles, who look different, yet a tortoise may look like another turtle, but those turtles are more closely related than the tortioise is to that turtle, so trutle A and turtle B are in the turtle family and tortoise C is in the tortoise family, despite turtle A looking like tortoise C?
... well but... all turtles and tortoises are in a single family in WoW...
WoW fauna are weird :|

~Signature made by Serenith~Image~Signature made by Serenith~

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Ahhhh spirit! I forgot to add water strider to my list. They probably have the biggest family differences out of all the pets. I should have remembered since i often use both models for fishing and raids. :lol:

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

SpiritBinder wrote:It really doesn’t need any extra confirming as the visual differences within other families are just so obviously much more diverse compared to that of the two now different families of Rylaks and Chimeras (even if they have completely different animations). But for those of us old enough to remember, each time I see this argument... This sucker pops into my head... in fact I've been whistling the dam thing all day now.
Oh the Memories :lol:
:lol:
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Rylaks might not be a good solution for a new family, but please don't refer to the devs as "lazy". They're clearly working their guts out for this expansion.

I believe there's usually a lot more to it. At Blizzcon when the dragonfly was announced, it was probably little more than concept art and some model artist prototypes, and the developers had likely not seen very much either. What seems good on paper may simply not turn out to be feasible in practice. The artists make modifications, and suddenly what the developers thought would be a new family are just like other wasps. So then they're left trying to think of an alternative. Clearly most of us don't think that rylaks are a good choice of alternative, and maybe they'll come up with something else yet, but I don't think they're taking an easy path simply so they can head out for beer or something.
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

Wain wrote:Rylaks might not be a good solution for a new family, but please don't refer to the devs as "lazy". They're clearly working their guts out for this expansion.

I believe there's usually a lot more to it. At Blizzcon when the dragonfly was announced, it was probably little more than concept art and some model artist prototypes, and the developers had likely not seen very much either. What seems good on paper may simply not turn out to be feasible in practice. The artists make modifications, and suddenly what the developers thought would be a new family are just like other wasps. So then they're left trying to think of an alternative. Clearly most of us don't think that rylaks are a good choice of alternative, and maybe they'll come up with something else yet, but I don't think they're taking an easy path simply so they can head out for beer or something.
I agree. This expansion is turning out beautifully so far, and we've only seen one zone! ;)

I'm still praying for tameable Clefthoofs. I think I'm the only one in love with their "savage" new looks.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Wain wrote:Rylaks might not be a good solution for a new family, but please don't refer to the devs as "lazy". They're clearly working their guts out for this expansion.

cough*pterrorwingsandeveryonewouldjumphappyandstuff*cough
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

PorrasouxRex wrote:

I agree. This expansion is turning out beautifully so far, and we've only seen one zone! ;)

I'm still praying for tameable Clefthoofs. I think I'm the only one in love with their "savage" new looks.
How I wish Clefthoofs are part of the Rhino family. Rhino currently have one model with .different colours only.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

As long as the Rylaks' abilities aren't identical to Chimaeras, then it will be a new family, even though Rylaks and Chimaera are pretty much the same thing. The lizard-deer Rylak/Chimaera still would be great, I prefer it to any other model of any other Rylak or existing Chimaera.

A way to toggle flying/walking would be superb, like the bear's 'hibernate' or bird's 'trick'. I'm not sure about bats doing it though. I expect the people who would be doing this are busy right now. But I hope it's near the top of a todo-list.
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

...wait you mean Blizz CAN'T make up new models and animations and skins out of nowhere especially while they're working on new zones and completely revamping the races and having to make new animations and refitting armor and making sure that all works correctly, not to mention new lore, content, debugging, and all around trying to make a game?

I dunno, Wain. If you ask me, Blizz just seems lazy. ;)
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Azunara wrote:

...wait you mean Blizz CAN'T make up new models and animations and skins out of nowhere especially while they're working on new zones and completely revamping the races and having to make new animations and refitting armor and making sure that all works correctly, not to mention new lore, content, debugging, and all around trying to make a game?

I dunno, Wain. If you ask me, Blizz just seems lazy. ;)
It's not lazy, but likely a lack of resources being applied.
Account has been closed at user's request.