Gara

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Re: Gara

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Like you said, the quest would have to be neutral, as Gara isn't exclusive to one faction. But what quest? What achievement? Does completing some quest or achievement related to the Pillars push us into a different phase of the area? I just don't know.

Did we ever finish auchindoun on heroic and normal? It's pretty glass..y.

Sigh.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Darius
Realm: Durotan

Unread post by Darius »

Or maybe he just meant that as in, "nothing insane." Because technically being BM is a prerequisite.

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Well, that really doesn't get us anywhere though does it? We've already tried seemingly everything - there must be something, obviously. But unless we happen upon something randomly we still don't know what to do or where to go... We don't even know where to begin.

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Anyone tried getting the void lantern buff while standing on the altar thing that's give you the overpowered buff? I'm sure there's more than one altar that'll give the buff, but you'll have to wander around to see.

If the dude took her to the void, then the void lantern only gets us halfway, right? The overpowered buff says something about channeling the power. What if we use that power, to fuel the lantern and this pushing us through to the void?

I thought on this while brushing ma teeth :D you can tell I don't have a very eventful morning.
Leorina

Unread post by Leorina »

You mean the Font of Power?

I've been having issues with that randomly dropping off (when I call my pet) but I gained it with the buff up if that's anything (didn't do anything though).
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Yeah. The Font of Power. I know if you move the buff will go away, but it's got all these buffs suggesting that you need to move around and stuff, if I'm correct. So if someone uses the void lantern while stood on this Font, perhaps the extra power will switch us over to the void where Xan is turning Gara. Our pet is dismissed, as it couldn't come over, and then Xan tires to kill us. Perhaps Gara steps in and she's tainted into a void wolf? Then we kill Xan and Gara wants us to tame her. Thus, we feel close to her because she saves our life?
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Muffinus said "I would argue that the convo would be "what does this do?" as opposed to "how do we get X?"

Don't know if I'm understanding this right but does that mean we're using the lantern wrong or?

Or maybe I'm looking for a hint in everything at this point.

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

Unread post by Bendak »

My take on this is I think the overall concept is awesome for a new type of challenge tame, but I think a few small changes could have made it flow a bit better without needing any datamining. For example, if the disturbed grave was there from the beginning, it would have been a clue for the effigy thing instead of having to look up the spell saying the effigy summons Om'ra. Maybe some flavor text on the white items so they don't just look like vendor trash (other vendor grays are also BoP after all).

I thought I would be /facepalming when the next step was discovered. Sort of like "how the heck did I miss THAT?" but this was not the case! I totally know why I missed it... because there wasn't a clue! Though finding the void lantern was fairly obvious. Gara was taken to the void, better go check out those bad void guys! ;)

But Muffinus is probably right that it was a mistake to spill the beans that it even exists on twitter. It would have been figured out eventually. The tone of this thread would probably be a bit different too. For those getting frustrated, I'd advise taking a break. That's what I'm doing. I went pretty hardcore after the effigy thing, testing out all of the logical places I could think of to find a void lord. Now I'm letting the dust settle.
Eyes of the Beast - My Hunter Blog
Drain
Realm: Dark Iron

Unread post by Drain »

I've been following along with you guys for awhile now, but just now registered finally after years of lurking here. And I have to say I agree 100% with what Gazer said. It's definitely a slap in the face to Muffinus IMO to say things like that. Negative feedback is one thing, and it's something that should be given if you find this "quest" to be absurdly difficult. But it's only been a couple days! If you're getting annoyed or upset then take a step back and catch your breath or just quit until live. This is why we can't have nice things, lol.

This kind of reminds me of the old epic hunter quest from vanilla. We were told there was one in game, but had to figure out how to piece everything together. No one had any clue what the four demons walking around in human form were for or how to "activate" them. Then we had to figure out what the two sinews did. It was a LOT of fun. I remember too before anyone thought of engineering we were stumped on how to beat the Un'goro one. Man now THAT was some good times. Was amazing how difficult that was when you consider it was in vanilla and nothing was too complex then. But anywho I'm going off topic now.

I'm really enjoying this hunt so far, and I hope we get more like it. I'd even go as far to say as the warlocks should get something like this for a new demon/demon skin since we're in Draenor afterall.
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

I havent been keeping up on this as i dont care to much about Gara XD
But seeing as this puzzle havent been solved yet i have to ask.

have anyone gone up to Gara with the berries but left all their pets in the stable?
Tried all the emotes(love/pet)?
Checked if there is anything in BC outland that might be related?
Simply talked to her/him. Maybe it would react to a line.

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

Guys, it seems a lot of people are arguing on these last few pages, and throwing around insults at each other is not going to solve things. Can you please table this vent/blame/arguement-fest for now before it gets even more out of hand? This board was about solving the mystery of Gara, and I can more than understand how frustrated those of you working on it have become.

But arguing, slinging slurs, getting angry with each other and quoting each other just to snap at someone is pointless right now.

Like others have said take a break, step away from this for now, come back if you wish to later, or just try it out in live after all the kinks of this tame have been filled.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Akyo wrote:I havent been keeping up on this as i dont care to much about Gara XD
But seeing as this puzzle havent been solved yet i have to ask.

have anyone gone up to Gara with the berries but left all their pets in the stable?
Tried all the emotes(love/pet)?
Checked if there is anything in BC outland that might be related?
Simply talked to her/him. Maybe it would react to a line.

Hehe, well, we did get to the next step, which included Gara being taken away by a Void God called Xan <Lord of Glass>. That's where we are stuck. We luckily, did get one hint, and that is: https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/508862249185067008

So, I guess that sort of eases it a bit.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Gazer

Unread post by Gazer »

Shade wrote:Can you please table this vent/blame/arguement-fest for now before it gets even more out of hand?
will do and soz.
Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU- Kazak

Unread post by Malackai »

Zgar wrote:
Edit: I found this, can't get in though. More Shattrath BS. Image
I actually got ported in from the other side on that one but I could not get out
there's a sagerei portal somewhere that ports you in :) there's nothing inside
My flightrising: Flight Rising
My DA page: http://malackai.deviantart.com/
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Anyway, to agree with Lupen and explain why, hoping that it won't be met with claims of childishness..

I have the feeling, that once it's all over, the reaction will be "Phew.. it's finally done. That's a relief." rather than "Whoa, that was cool! It took quite long, but that was because we weren't looking at this the right way.", and I think that's quite a shame. I could easily take a step back, watch the progress from afar and let the rest of the community do the work, but that's not the point. I'm not angry, I'm not upset. I'm simply disappointed at what, it, imho, could have been, if there had just been some vague clues hidden in texts. It would feel like a 'Sherlock'-thing, tracking Gara down, with just a few little hints embedded in the text that didn't make the entire thing trivially easy, but still kept it from being a randomfest where we just wildly click stuff until it works.

Of course, everyone will react differently once it's solved, but that's how I feel I will express my feelings on it. So please don't see people having criticism/being disappointed in how it seemed to have been handled as childishness. I was more than happy with the track tames once we found that out. I just think this was a very big missed opportunity, given that a few tiny little, in-game clues could have improved it significantly for me. The texts the clues were in could also have been used to add a bit more of a lore/story to Gara, allowing us to bond with her even more.

But that's the last I'll say on this.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Leorina

Unread post by Leorina »

Well that didn't work...

I share my sentiments with Qraljar. I really love riddles and puzzles.
But this, people are just going to hear about Gara and then follow a guide.
When I first heard about Gara, I tried to do it without any hints but was immediately discouraged by the lack of directions.
Sure, if it was more riddle-y, people would still look up a guide, but as it stands there isn't much of a chance.

Loving the entire community involvement though and I think that's the best thing about this so far.

Just thought of something, maybe if this is how it is, we could make up our own sort of riddle guide for people who still want to figure it out but don't feel like giving themselves minor concussions over it.
Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Well when I get home from work I will start on clearing the zones and doing the quests "like a normal leveling hunter" maybe we simply overseeing something because most of us (or perhaps all? that are trying to figure it out are on premades)

What I do think is there a chance that Xan "lord of glass" was actually a naruu before he got corrupted? maybe we need to find leads as which naruu he was before he got corrupted?
I don't know I am running out of ideas XD

I did see getting one Naruu corrupted in front of my eyes in Oshu'gun

Anyone scoured through Zanger sea btw?
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

-edit-

Not worth it.

But let me get one thing straight, Gazer; I'm very thankful that the hunter community has gotten the attention it has, from the new tamable pets to Gara, but am I not allowed to give constructive criticism and feedback? That is what beta testing is for, isn't it? Or was I mistaken? I love a good challenge just as much as anyone, and have very much enjoyed working with the hunter community to solve this. I don't mind if it takes awhile to tame Gara and solve this; I love unique tames, especially those with a story - I much prefer that to camping a rare spawn. But it's becoming less and less "fun and exciting" as we exhaust more ideas with little to no progress... We need some kind of direction, as this has become a literal wild goose chase; all any of us has been asking for (keyword ask, not demand) is a hint.

If we don't get one, fine. But I'm just giving my opinion like everyone else.

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Drain
Realm: Dark Iron

Unread post by Drain »

Anywho back on topic. I'm just curious myself if I can help out and try to figure this out on one of the instant level 100 hunters on the beta or if I need to level one up to 100 myself to unlock/trigger something? I'd hate to think that the reason for not figuring this out is because it's only available to people who did certain quests or something like that.
Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Drain wrote:Anywho back on topic. I'm just curious myself if I can help out and try to figure this out on one of the instant level 100 hunters on the beta or if I need to level one up to 100 myself to unlock/trigger something? I'd hate to think that the reason for not figuring this out is because it's only available to people who did certain quests or something like that.
Well when I get home from work I will start on clearing the zones and doing the quests "like a normal leveling hunter" maybe we simply overseeing something because most of us (or perhaps all? that are trying to figure it out are on premades)
I am on a premade lv 100 horde only did maybe 5-6 breadcrumb quests

And I am just as the rest on the void lantern part of the quest