Pet "Dress-Up" items?

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Pet "Dress-Up" items?

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Was wondering about the nifty visual that void wolves have that was not present on Gara, but sadly as it's not attached to the base model, no luck, but it did raise the potential issue of addressing it in another way, maybe via a "Dress Up" item per say.
@Muffinus Not sure of the tech, but at all possible 4 Gara to have the same visual effects that other Void wolves do?

@Dravenor Anything that's not in the base model (3d model view) is added later and not avail. after taming, maybe hunter pet dress-up items?
I think this is a great idea personally, what do you guys think? What could be a fun way or interesting way to have to this potential visual option added in?

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Pet "Dress-Up" items?

Unread post by Lisaara »

That'd be cool. Maybe hunter specific enchants to pets that are visual only?

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Tall striders in lingerie.
That is all. :lol:

Siggy under construction!

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Collars, glows, auras...

I think this would be a great idea!
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

It's like my mind has been read. This way any hunter could get a visual trophy, and it wouldn't end up with every hunter having the same pet. I was trying to make a short list of the ones I thought were coolest, but I only got it down to ten eleven:
edit:
remembered a place with "drunken bubbles".
Last edited by Xota on Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Or just let us tame appearance buff pets. :? That's all the dress up I need. :lol:

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Honestly not sure why the effects aren't ON the base models for those. There are separate models for the fel, fire and shadow wolves, completely distinct from the standard Draenor wolf. Why even bother to do that unless it's so you can include those effects at model level?
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Your guess is as good as mine. Just kind of a bummer they're so different. :(

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

Unread post by Bendak »

Xota wrote:It's like my mind has been read. This way any hunter could get a visual trophy, and it wouldn't end up with every hunter having the same pet. I was trying to make a short list of the ones I thought were coolest, but I only got it down to ten eleven:
edit:
You covered the major ones here.

It would be great if pets had a "pet collar" slot or equivalent where we could apply these effects. The effects are already there, but I'm not sure how hard it would be for Blizzard to implement. Stuff like the ice paws would be easy in theory. They probably have a method to just say "attach ice effect to the feet bones" but it may not be that simple. What about flying pets, etc.? I guess they could restrict certain effects to certain families, but that is where it gets complicated.

Another effect I'd add to your list is this leaves one: http://www.wowhead.com/npc=4462 It looks pretty neat in motion since it leaves a trail of the floating leaves. I originally referenced it in a post I did here about hunter glyph ideas as alternative Camouflage graphics: http://eyesofthebeast.com/2014/08/fun-h ... yph-ideas/

The various collars could be acquired by taming a pet that already has it applied, which unlocks it for use on your other pets. Sort of like back in vanilla when you had to tame pets that knew specific abilities so you could train your other pets in said abilities.
Eyes of the Beast - My Hunter Blog
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Xota »

Oo, I like the leaves too. Make that 12. I'd put leaves on a pandaren stag for a "god of the forest" look.
Ya, some of the effects wouldn't attach to some models very well. Rays and Sporebats don't even have necks. It could be like weapons that have a built in-glow, that weapon enchants don't visibly show up on. That would be quite a disappointment, though, if you spent your hard-to-acquire dress-up item and it didn't show up. Maybe you could dressing room the dress-up item (ctrl + left click) and it would show what it would look like on your current pet.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Bendak wrote:
Xota wrote:It's like my mind has been read. This way any hunter could get a visual trophy, and it wouldn't end up with every hunter having the same pet. I was trying to make a short list of the ones I thought were coolest, but I only got it down to ten eleven:
edit:
You covered the major ones here.

It would be great if pets had a "pet collar" slot or equivalent where we could apply these effects. The effects are already there, but I'm not sure how hard it would be for Blizzard to implement. Stuff like the ice paws would be easy in theory. They probably have a method to just say "attach ice effect to the feet bones" but it may not be that simple. What about flying pets, etc.? I guess they could restrict certain effects to certain families, but that is where it gets complicated.

Another effect I'd add to your list is this leaves one: http://www.wowhead.com/npc=4462 It looks pretty neat in motion since it leaves a trail of the floating leaves. I originally referenced it in a post I did here about hunter glyph ideas as alternative Camouflage graphics: http://eyesofthebeast.com/2014/08/fun-h ... yph-ideas/

The various collars could be acquired by taming a pet that already has it applied, which unlocks it for use on your other pets. Sort of like back in vanilla when you had to tame pets that knew specific abilities so you could train your other pets in said abilities.
I love these ideas! I hope this might make it in game, it sounds really fun. :)
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

If these make it in the game, I would want to request that it be allowed for other pets as well. Demons, water elementals, zombies, et cetera. Maybe it would be more likely to make it in if other people got the chance for some extra 'specials' as well!

I would possibly need to remove the 'chained collar' as an option, though. As much as I'd love to have a collar on my pets, while the others are things which can be added as a simple overlay on any pet out there, a collar would have to identify what type of pet, where the neck was, if it even *had* a neck (where would the collar be on a moth, scorpid, tripod, or crab, for example). *Possibly* the 'dripping blood around the mouth' as well for the same reason.

The frosty feet should be easy enough, though; just adding a frosty effect on their 'hit circle'. It might not be exactly on the feet, but it will be close enough that it'll look like it.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Masquerain
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Azuremyst

Unread post by Masquerain »

Kurasu wrote:If these make it in the game, I would want to request that it be allowed for other pets as well. Demons, water elementals, zombies, et cetera. Maybe it would be more likely to make it in if other people got the chance for some extra 'specials' as well!.
I agree. Blizzard would be more likely to implement some vanities like this if they were relevant to more than just one class. Pretty appearance buffs for all pets, please! Maybe something attached to Enchanting prof, or the Enchanter building in garrisons?
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Xota »

TBH, felguards and wrathguards already can dress up with weapons. We're the ones being left behind! And hunters don't even have visible weapon enchants anymore. Not that I would begrudge other pet classes their fun. Poor mages don't even have a unique name for their pet, and only two models.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

They are all really cool ideas :) I like the idea of changing warlock pets too - floating eye to void hound please!!!

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Most effects fall into 6 universal categories that I’ve been able to identify, this is if you if you include 3d Model additions like Kung Dins Chain, Lone Hunters Sword and Princesses Bow. With these visuals being very specifically located and various, I’m not sure how easily and universally they would be able to be introduced, But I’ll include them none the less.

These effects can also work all in tandem at the same time with no problem, which can be seen at its best doing so when you face Deathwing in Demon Soul and are enhanced by the aspects four "Presence" Buffs.

The six main visuals effecting pets are:

(ALL PET EXAMPLES MENTIONED BELOW CAN BE FOUND HERE)

1. This area on all pets can vary, though they are already set on all pet models in game as they already glow when they gain certain buffs such as bloodlust/heroism, Kalecgos' Presence. This is normally set to claws and paws (Like Icepaw Bears) but on models like carrion birds, it's set to their wings (Like Fire Rocs) or other places, It can appear where ever it is set in the database to that model type.

2. This is the allover effect, such as Duskstalkers, Mutant War Hounds and the Oil Stained Wolf/Hawk. Effects that change entire models colour/transparency, eg. turns green from a poison, or purple from curses, etc.

3. This effect normally sits in the core of the model, the center or heart. This is the same location/effect that the void wolves show, Felscale Crawlers, Fluttering Moths and when you used to be able to use the cremation torch on pets for the fire effect.

4. This one is a Location based effect that emanate from underneath, sits below the model. Examples are the Sha effects on the Sha-haunted cranes and Black Bengal Goats, the Angered Arakkoa Protector and Nozdormu's Presence.

5. This one I’m not 100% sure about, I assumed it was the same as number 3, but in pets such as Tainted Black Bear, Nightstalker and Screecher, it’s pretty clear that it’s showing around the mouth/head so I’ll also include it. The only other to have a similar positioning that I could find was Spiteflayer.

Again as mentioned, there are a large variant of these, from swords, to Grain Bags and Mining Picks, etc. They vary a lot and are almost limitless possibilities, but with that said would also take a lot of time and work to try and implement over all tameable beasts.

Again many if not all of these can work together, and many pets we already know to have appearance buffs do, like the Oil Stained Wolf and Sha-Haunted beats looks to have Both number 2 and number four, and the Mutant War Hound has a Combo of 2 and 3.

I seriously LOVE the idea of implementing these in some way, and as mentioned by Bendak, (and by Frostheim to Ghost Crawler many years ago originally) some kind of Pet Collar would be an excellent candidate. Maybe we could collect different collars, or maybe we buy/unlock/earn the collar (ala Hunter Green fire quest? ) and then can change/augment it via different collected spells/items. Maybe these could drop from rares, or sold by rep factions, or be quest/achievement rewards, etc, etc, etc.

Also, there could be variants with any of these effects to choose it style/area?

• Fury of the Flame (Fiery effect in the area of number 1)
• Shroud of the Flame (Fiery effect in the area of number 2)
• Soul of the Flame (Fiery effect in the area of number 3)
• Path of the Flame (Fiery effect in the area of number 4)

• Fury of the Frost (Icy effect in the area of number 1)
• Shroud of the Frost (Icy effect in the area of number 2)
• Soul of the Frost (Icy effect in the area of number 3)
• Path of the Frost (Icy effect in the area of number 4)

• Fury of the Storm (Lighting effect in the area of number 1)
• Shroud of the Storm (Lighting effect in the area of number 2)
• Soul of the Storm (Lighting effect in the area of number 3)
• Path of the Storm (Lighting effect in the area of number 4)

Etc, etc, etc. Really the sky is the limit. :D However all of that said, there is also a respectful limit in which we could hope/ask to be gifted of any of these, as it’s really pretty small niche.

What ever the system/way it’s implemented, I would be well beyond ecstatic to have access to any of this fun customizable options for our pets… it would just make me so freaking happy :D
Attachments
Pet Effects.jpg
Pet Effects.jpg (97.96 KiB) Viewed 4775 times

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

That's hugely helpful, SB! It also helps show the general area where the items could be put. Like for instance, using section 5 for the aura, we could *easily* do the 'dripping blood' mentioned above, where I wasn't sure if it would be an option or not.

The 'chain collar' buff will still have to be dropped, I think; without a single 'aura' area, the collar was specially made for that one single mob, and thus I'd say making a new spot for every single hunter pet would probably be more trouble than it would be worth. Let's just ask for the equivalent of a mini-pet leash for big pets, instead. Besides, I have a friend who would just about *kill* to have a leash for her Voidwalker. ;)
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Xota »

As much as I would want a drunken Gorilla or spider egg infested Hyena, I'd prefer having effects available at locations 1-5 rather than none. Probably once the ability to have persistent special effects is coded for pets, those location 6 effects that already exist on wild beasts could at least stay on those beasts through taming (and arenas).
Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

Unread post by Bendak »

Made a blog post about this topic. Thanks Xota and SpiritBinder for the ideas. Would be awesome if this happened at some point. :) http://eyesofthebeast.com/2014/09/hunter-pet-collars
Eyes of the Beast - My Hunter Blog
WildcatTM
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by WildcatTM »

I've always been a fan of this kind of idea. It annoyed me so much that Blizzard fixed the glitch tame rather than simply making the the pets with the advantages buffs unavailable. I would love to see some kind of quest or something. I regard not taking a sha pet so much,