Hunter spec change discussion

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Hunter spec change discussion

Unread post by pop »

[MOD NOTE: I have merged two threads on Hunter spec changes since they were discussing the same things, and changed the title accordingly.]

What we know so far;

Artifacts

* All specs will get an artifact that it has its own talent system and a system to help to change their appearances.

* Artifacts can be transmogged but other weapons cannot be transmogged into them.

Survival
- Survival is going to be a melee spec in 7.0. This is confirmed by Icy Vein's interview with the developers from Blizzard.
- Survival's artifact is the Eagle Spear

Beastmastery
- BM is ranged with pets. It is possible the artifact that they going to wield is possibly an updated Hemet Trophy's gun.

Marksmanship
- A great possibility That MM will be a ranged spec without any pet. This has been confirmed by Icy Veins as well.
- MM artifact's is a bow
Last edited by pop on Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:35 am, edited 9 times in total.
Bheleu
Realm: Arathor

Re: survival is melee?

Unread post by Bheleu »

:( Can I transmog it into a gun?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I hope this is the case. It would really differentiate one of the hunter specs. Currently they aren't all that different in combat function. You stand back and you shoot. Making one of them hand-to-hand would be awesome. And spears are traditionally such a hunter thing but we simply can't use them.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I'd love for Survival or beast master to be melee.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Bambu
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo/Eitrigg

Unread post by Bambu »

I'm so down with Survival going melee or spear-throwing. Adds some nice variety imo.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

I just hope it doesn't benefit most from Lone Wolf. I want my pet at my side if Survival goes melee.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

It would be cool charging into battle with your pet at your side, but personally I've always pictured survival as that lone wolf type; crouched down in hiding with a poisoned spear in hand, ready to ambush the enemy. So it wouldn't surprise me if lone wolf is their go-to spec.

Part of the fun of being a hunter is having your pet though. :/

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Ebonrook
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (US)

Unread post by Ebonrook »

Honestly, I'm kind of stoked at the idea. I've always liked the idea of the Survival Hunter of old – it's just that the kit was so scattered and anemic that it didn't really work. If this legendary is saying that they're thinking of trying to re-invent Survival spec into something akin to how it once was? I am definitely listening...

And while this is definitely pie in the sky thinking, I can't help but consider it. With the recent reveal of Rexxar being a playable ranged Warrior in Heroes of the Storm, I can't help but consider the possibilities of a melee-based, ranged capable, tank spec. I doubt it'd happen, but man... I can dream. I'd play the HECK out of a hunter tank.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I now have a reason to roll a Tauren Hunter.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

pop wrote:I now have a reason to roll a Tauren Hunter.
It would be awesome if you can get one of the new moose tauren, with a moose pet, riding a moose mount.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I made a troll hunter practically my first day, back in vanilla. When got some throwing weapons, I was dismayed I couldn't use any abilities. Maybe I'll finally be able to unmothball him.

I just hope I'll be able to still use a gun on my dwarf hunter.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

None of my hunters are Survival, so I can't speak from that side of the spec tree.
But if BM becomes melee, sadly, it will be the last day I play WoW.
I play hunter BECAUSE I detest playing close-combat melee classes.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

SetsunaChan
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by SetsunaChan »

Sukurachi wrote:None of my hunters are Survival, so I can't speak from that side of the spec tree.
I think Bm is getting an artifact gun if you look at this image from mmo-champ http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/ne ... nel003.jpg there is a bow and a gun. The bow is for marks hunters so, if the spear is for surv then the gun has to be for bm spec.

And also going on the motif of the gun i'd bet we get it from Hemet since it's all trophy big game looking.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Sukurachi wrote:None of my hunters are Survival, so I can't speak from that side of the spec tree.
Yeah I agree - I play hunter as my main because I dislike melee combat (and the only one i was ever good at was kitty druid). Saying that I doubt all hunters will be melee - kinda glad i main MM though now!

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

They aren't going to make 'all hunters melee' because I deffo saw both a gun and a bow in their slide of potential class weapons. I do think they MAY shift Surv to melee since it originally kind of had that bent, but was terribly, terribly inefficient and clumsy (and thus basically worthless).

Frankly, I think that'd be great, because it just adds more options for players who do like melee. Also consider the fact they may let you chuck it at people too, so there's that.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Nachtwulf wrote:They aren't going to make 'all hunters melee' because I deffo saw both a gun and a bow in their slide of potential class weapons. I do think they MAY shift Surv to melee since it originally kind of had that bent, but was terribly, terribly inefficient and clumsy (and thus basically worthless).

Frankly, I think that'd be great, because it just adds more options for players who do like melee. Also consider the fact they may let you chuck it at people too, so there's that.
I think just letting hunters have their stat sticks back (if only in a cosmetic form with maybe an extra ability for surv to throw theirs) would be a great thing. I really miss my staves/polearms but then I guess we have our bows on our backs now to display...hmm. I wish we had quivers to display too (like when you got the epic one from the dragon of nightmare back in the day) guess my love of xmog is showing!!

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

I can't stand the guns. I always use a bow. as a BM player I would be a sad panda if i missed out on the bow they previewed. Hope we can at least xmog these weapons.

I don't know how everyone would feel if surv was melee. its my off spec and as someone who chooese to play a hunter due to my absolutely horrid melee skills, seeing it go melee with no alternative would make me sad. bows and guns are already so exclusive. wouldn't things become lopsided if the total amount of players that could use ranged weapons boiled down to two hunter specs?

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I hope I can transmog The Eagle Spear into this

http://www.wowhead.com/item=72814/axe-o ... chieftains
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

If any hunter spec went melee, I figured it would be Beastmaster to be more like Rexxar. Survival can certainly work too. Can't wait to see how this shakes out.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

They're still not confirming one way or the other:
https://twitter.com/CosmicGuitars/statu ... 8067491840

The reaction has been pretty positive though. And when you compare hunters to other classes, our spec differences currently are pretty subtle. A bit of a shake up would be good, especially if it's only one spec of three.