Demon Hunter

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Demon Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Demon Hunter

Where do we start?
1. You can only be as either a Night Elf (Alliance) or a Blood Elf(Horde) Demon Hunter
2. You can customize your Demon Hunter's Horns (or no horns), scaly skins etc
3. There will be two specs; Havoc will be the Melee DPS spec while Vengeance will be the Tank spec.
4. Havoc gives you demonic wings while Vengeance gives you spiky bony plates and portrusion
5. They are leather an agility leather wearing class and can wield a new type of weapon; Glaives. It is a 'pair' weapon.
6. It's a hero class; starts at a high level. Their levelling will start at Shardoom; Sargeras' home planet. Illidan sent us to fight the Legion.
7. It is a hero class; it will start at a high level
8. We will end up in a high facility prison and will be freed by wardens when the Legion attack.
Tankperson
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Re: Demon Hunter

Unread post by Tankperson »

They look interesting I will more then likely try one out but like normal won't over take my place of my hunter. If the DK starting level is anything we'll more then likely start around lvl 85 25 lvls lower then the current cap. Though I do feel there should have been more choices for race but oh well no big deal in the long run.
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock »

Appears it's essentially a new twitch class like monks. Not interested, ranged for me.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

I don't mind them being elf only-I do like those. Blood Elf is the only horde race I will play, and for Alli I am usually dranei or night elf.

The most interesting thing to me about the DH is the seeing through walls thing. My first thought upon hearing that was the dev team must have played a lot of Dishonored. Will be interesting how that mechanic will work.
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Sha'Halo

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

pop wrote: Demon Hunter

Where do we start?
1. You can only be as either a Night Elf (Alliance) or a Blood Elf(Horde) Demon Hunter
From a lore prospective, and where they're 'coming from' it makes sense. The only ones to be Illidari were BEs and NEs. That said, it's not like they couldn't train more.
From the lore prospective of the ones being released from jail that were made back in BC I get it.
From a game standpoint it seems.... if I'm being honest. Lazy. We got monks and the monks taught others how to be Monks. We got DK's across the board. Etc. OTher races could embrace the Demon hunter stuff same as the elves. Maybe not all races. (A demon hunter gnome seems silly to me. Frankly so does a demon hunter tauren. But Demon hunter humans? Sure. Draenei? Maybe. Etc) The demon hunters could surely teach new ones. It's not like we've a shortage of demons to use. So yeah the two race restriction seesms... lazy. It seems like they didn't want to have to redo each race with a demon hunter overlay and do the work. I get the 'lore' part, but from the 'lore' they chose to go that route. instead of breaking out a whole legion of demon hunters out of prison we could have one on each faction side that we broke out to train our 'new generation' of Demon hunters, and opened it up to more races. That's a choice blizz made that seems lazy to me.
pop wrote: 2. You can customize your Demon Hunter's Horns (or no horns), scaly skins etc
Looking forward to the options here. I hope there's more than just 'HERMURGURD HUGE' horns. Some of them look really silly. They put Loki to shame with his helmet.
pop wrote:
3. There will be two specs; Havoc will be the Melee DPS spec while Vengeance will be the Tank spec.
Again.. this some what strikes me as lazy. Why not throw a third spec? Even if it was just a different DPS spec? Pally's have one of each. Shamen have two dps + a heal. hunters have three dps.

There's no reason 'not' to give them three specs. Other than lazyness. Should demon hunters have a heal spec? No. lol likely not, but give us a tnk and two dps. Have one be melee, have another be more magic, or throwing the glaives. etc. The two specs are nice, but again. Seems... lazy. That can't be how it was from the start. They didn't go 10 years and then suddenly "Ok everyone... new idea... just TWO SPECS!!"

"People will bitch!"

"Well they're getting Demon hunters they should STFU"

They had to have started with 3 and dropped one along the way.
pop wrote:
4. Havoc gives you demonic wings while Vengeance gives you spiky bony plates and portrusion
Those look pretty cool.
pop wrote:
5. They are leather an agility leather wearing class and can wield a new type of weapon; Glaives. It is a 'pair' weapon.
Glad for this. I hope Glaives stay exclusive. Except for the ones out of BT which.. .noone uses because they're low level and you can't tmog them. I'm happy with the glaives being DH only.
pop wrote:
6. It's a hero class; starts at a high level. Their levelling will start at Shardoom; Sargeras' home planet. Illidan sent us to fight the Legion.
Well the DH are being sent on a mission. It hasn't said what the mission was. I get the feeling it was more a sneak and grab or something not just 'Go here and kill everyone.' I got more the 'secret mission' aspect of it.
pop wrote:
7. It is a hero class; it will start at a high level
You just said that. ... in number 6?
pop wrote: 8. We will end up in a high facility prison and will be freed by wardens when the Legion attack.
The prison looks pretty cool too. I wish we had a warden class to go along with the Demon hunters. That'd have been cool. To get wardens and their chackrams.

Slickrock

Pepsi Jedi wrote: They had to have started with 3 and dropped one along the way.
That's what they said at the event. 2 dps specs didn't feel right.

What I want them to do is take one of the rogue specs and turn it ranged (Diablo DH style)
MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

The fact that only elves can play the class makes it a huge turn off for me. Never really liked them, and the only time I played an NE was to make a druid, which was quickly abandoned when Worgen druids were introduced. I understand it's a lore thing, but when has that ever stopped them before? Plus the class feels like they took rogue and lock combined together overall. There's a couple of fun/flavor abilities like double jump and seeing stealth, but that's about it. And again, another tank/melee dps class added. I never really found the idea of the DH exciting to begin with other than the "Oooo dark and badass anti-heros" which reminds me of the DKs all over again.

Right now, the possibility of me playing one is very low. Would've preferred something that would've actually added to the diversity of the various classes (Tinker would've been interesting at least).

Starting area sounds neat tho, I might make one just to see it, if I have any character slots available...
Slickrock

MaximumOverdrive wrote:The fact that only elves can play the class makes it a huge turn off for me. Never really liked them, and the only time I played an NE was to make a druid, which was quickly abandoned when Worgen druids were introduced. I understand it's a lore thing, but when has that ever stopped them before? Plus the class feels like they took rogue and lock combined together overall. There's a couple of fun/flavor abilities like double jump and seeing stealth, but that's about it. And again, another tank/melee dps class added. I never really found the idea of the DH exciting to begin with other than the "Oooo dark and badass anti-heros" which reminds me of the DKs all over again.

Right now, the possibility of me playing one is very low. Would've preferred something that would've actually added to the diversity of the various classes (Tinker would've been interesting at least).

Starting area sounds neat tho, I might make one just to see it, if I have any character slots available...
Been thinking about it.. and my guess would be that some of the models just would not work well with other races. Trolls could work, and perhaps Worgen, but Draenei probably could not because of lore anyway, and the rest of the races would look silly. Except perhaps for undead.

But yeah.. Lore.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I think a lot of people forget about lore. Lorewise, it's been tradition for centuries that only elves learn it. They haven't taught other races and likely never want to. I'm thrilled they're actually following the lore that's established (which monks had no lore, so that argument really doesn't work.) rather than tossing it out the window.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Slickrock

Also, the DHs are almost more like a caste system. Being a DH is something you are almost "born" to, like a DK, It's not like monks where everyone who can meditate could learn it.

And.. I get the impression the DHs have been on ice for a while?
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Not so much on ice as it is...imprisonment(Unless thats what you mean). So no one's been able to teach anyone.

For those who don't know demon hunter history, this is a good overview: http://wow.gamepedia.com/Demon_hunter

As it states, almost all demon hunters are night elves. Illidan likely trained a few blood elves too. Also, if you notice, the notable demon hunters are all elves.

LisaaraPokefarm

Slickrock

Yeah, on ice, as in long-term imprisonment (statis?). Not an area of active recruitment.
MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

Oh I hear you on the lore, trust me lol. It's just that...there's been times where they didn't let lore stop them from doing stuff, with the Draenei being the biggest example. Most of the time I'd prefer they followed the lore, but this is one of the few times I wish they didn't.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Ah, then yes slick. They've been on ice, so to speak, cause the night elves, much like they were with the mages except worse, were like "Screw you guys! To prison with ye!"

I'm glad they did. I would've been annoyed if they didn't and Blizz would've gotten a CRAPLOAD of backlash if they hadn't...and likely made a laughing stock. A company/author that doesn't follow their own lore ends up losing more fans than caving into those that didn't want them following it. Consistency is a must for storytelling. ;)

LisaaraPokefarm

Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

MaximumOverdrive wrote:The fact that only elves can play the class makes it a huge turn off for me. Never really liked them, and the only time I played an NE was to make a druid, which was quickly abandoned when Worgen druids were introduced. I understand it's a lore thing, but when has that ever stopped them before? Plus the class feels like they took rogue and lock combined together overall. There's a couple of fun/flavor abilities like double jump and seeing stealth, but that's about it. And again, another tank/melee dps class added. I never really found the idea of the DH exciting to begin with other than the "Oooo dark and badass anti-heros" which reminds me of the DKs all over again.

So basically you didn't like the concept before the expansion was ever announced. When it became reality you aren't interested, dont' want to play them, as you'd determined before they were unveiled, that you wouldn't like them, and from a hand full of powers, have decided what they 'are', and that you don't like it?

*chuckles* I'm not sure you're their target audience on this one Max.

Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Slickrock wrote:Also, the DHs are almost more like a caste system. Being a DH is something you are almost "born" to, like a DK, It's not like monks where everyone who can meditate could learn it.

And.. I get the impression the DHs have been on ice for a while?
No. They were trained by Illidan, and most of um went nuts. It's not something you're born to.

Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

I agree that in the lore, previous ones were all elves.

But as pointed out that hasn't stopped them in the past. It's not like they're all dead. We're going to see thousands of them when the expansion hits. lol High level ones imprisoned ccould train 'new' ones when they get out. (I.E. low level)

It's not like it's a 'lost procedure' like Valerian steel or anything.

As I pointed out previously, the ones we're getting now, are ones that were 'locked up' in secret before, but Bliz could have just as easily freeed TWO Demon hunters, and had them train the new ons, vs having a secret prison full of secret prisoners, that we're now turning to in our hour of need.

Slickrock

Pepsi Jedi wrote:I agree that in the lore, previous ones were all elves.

But as pointed out that hasn't stopped them in the past. It's not like they're all dead. We're going to see thousands of them when the expansion hits. lol High level ones imprisoned ccould train 'new' ones when they get out. (I.E. low level)

As I pointed out previously, the ones we're getting now, are ones that were 'locked up' in secret before, but Bliz could have just as easily freeed TWO Demon hunters, and had them train the new ons, vs having a secret prison full of secret prisoners, that we're now turning to in our hour of need.
We might get an answer as to why not when we see the starting zone. If Illidan did the training, and something was lost after than, might not be possible. We'll see.
Slickrock

I think it's also for art/design reasons too.

(Dibs on a tauren named Madcow if they change their minds).
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Slickrock wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:I agree that in the lore, previous ones were all elves.

We might get an answer as to why not when we see the starting zone. If Illidan did the training, and something was lost after than, might not be possible. We'll see.
Yeah, but that's a choice they made. It's not a documentary. lol if they wanted to do it differently they.. could just write a different story. Right?