Possible new pet models?!

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: Possible new pet models?!

Unread post by pop »

Razzy wrote:Really really don't care for the new bear model and its pinched back, so I edited it to something I personally would have liked to have seen. I was never a fan of the old bears' skeleton. I wish they'd redone that too, but that could possibly (hopefully) still be in the works.

(edit: added the ear and a different eye)
}

YES THIS I LOVE YOU
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Having a Tauren bear druid also, I'm really put off by the new model, and the main reason is the eyes. I have NO idea why but the new models eyes are really low quality, grey, murky and dark. Compared to the current model, I just don't understand. The new model has has a few added bits here and there that were only on the skin prior like some jewellery and the likes, and the fur texture are much higher in areas, but the eyes I just can't see past. It's the same for most all the new druid bears, murky, almost blind looking eyes for the most. The best of them is the troll imo, as they don't have any irises and can get away with it easier.

The new eagle model also suffers from murky eye syndrome, no spark, not much life in them... I hope it doesn't become a "Thing" :|
Attachments
Druid Bears.jpg
Druid Bears.jpg (706.83 KiB) Viewed 11767 times

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

SpiritBinder wrote:Having a Tauren bear druid also, I'm really put off by the new model, and the main reason is the eyes. I have NO idea why but the new models eyes are really low quality, grey, murky and dark. Compared to the current model, I just don't understand. The new model has has a few added bits here and there that were only on the skin prior like some jewellery and the likes, and the fur texture are much higher in areas, but the eyes I just can't see past. It's the same for most all the new druid bears, murky, almost blind looking eyes for the most. The best of them is the troll imo, as they don't have any irises and can get away with it easier.

The new eagle model also suffers from murky eye syndrome, no spark, not much life in them... I hope it doesn't become a "Thing" :|
I thought that was just MMO-Champion low texture datamining syndrome?

Because the textures in general look low-quality, even though they have more detail. Have we seen these forms in-game yet?
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I was gonna say, it just looks like the lighting in the model renderer, to me. It'll be way brighter in game with in-game lighting.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Qraljar wrote:
I thought that was just MMO-Champion low texture datamining syndrome?
Oh I sure hope so :(

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I wonder if they will have glowing eyes in the game. In which case they may have reduced the background texture to suit. If you look at some of the character models (but not all) that have glowing eyes, they're missing eyeballs entirely. It would seem odd they'd do this for a tauren druid though.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

I think (and hope) it really is the model viewer... The whole model, not just the eyes, seem a bit dark.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Razzy
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Razzy »

Bhando wrote:Wow, that looks awesome!
Why don't you apply for a designers job @ Blizz? ;)
Haha, that's very kind of you! But I don't think they'd hire me just because I know my way around the lasso tool in Photoshop.. :lol:

Glad you guys like the edit! Wish there was some way to edit it and give it animations too
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Razzy wrote:
Bhando wrote:Wow, that looks awesome!
Why don't you apply for a designers job @ Blizz? ;)
Haha, that's very kind of you! But I don't think they'd hire me just because I know my way around the lasso tool in Photoshop.. :lol:

Glad you guys like the edit! Wish there was some way to edit it and give it animations too
Once there is a Legion modelviewer, you can easily export the model and alter the model/rig in Cinema4d. I've done it with other models.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The new wild kodo model is definitely replacing the original one in the old world. I think they did a pretty job of keeping them true to the original, although these have clear scales while the original had hide. Just found these in Desolace:

The mounts and pack beasts in the area (and in the mount journal) are still using the old model. This makes me wonder if MMO-Champ found the new mount model on the distribution server and it's not in the current Alpha release. I certainly haven't found it.
Attachments
KodoWoolly.jpg
KodoWoolly.jpg (599.07 KiB) Viewed 11767 times
KodoGrey.jpg
KodoGrey.jpg (484.19 KiB) Viewed 11767 times
KodoYellow.jpg
KodoYellow.jpg (594.54 KiB) Viewed 11767 times
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Man, the new kodos are so wonderful and faithful to the originals it makes me wonder how they can come up with something so drastically different as the new bear. :( I just want this same attention to detail applied to the bears along with any other creature revamps. I know they're capable of it. I've seen it in the core hounds, the kodos, and a number of other old world mobs. But those bears are just killing me every time I look at them, and it's clear they really are aiming on permanently replacing a lot of older models.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Vephriel wrote:Man, the new kodos are so wonderful and faithful to the originals it makes me wonder how they can come up with something so drastically different as the new bear. :( I just want this same attention to detail applied to the bears along with any other creature revamps. I know they're capable of it. I've seen it in the core hounds, the kodos, and a number of other old world mobs. But those bears are just killing me every time I look at them, and it's clear they really are aiming on permanently replacing a lot of older models.
Couldn't agree more!!

Oh, I also edited my above post. There is an actual major difference to the old kodo model, and that's that the new ones very obviously have scales, while the originals had more of a deeply creased hide, more like mammal skin. The changes make them far more likely as reptiles. I also think the changes aren't especially glaring, either. They're obvious once you notice but they don't seem to detract from the original design.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Vephriel wrote:Man, the new kodos are so wonderful and faithful to the originals it makes me wonder how they can come up with something so drastically different as the new bear. :( I just want this same attention to detail applied to the bears along with any other creature revamps. I know they're capable of it. I've seen it in the core hounds, the kodos, and a number of other old world mobs. But those bears are just killing me every time I look at them, and it's clear they really are aiming on permanently replacing a lot of older models.

I think they were trying to make the bear more anatomically correct but failed.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

THAT VIDEO OF THAT RAT MOUNT IS SCARY

can we have a rodent family Blizz? Include Porcupine and RATS!

GIANT RATS!
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I gonna name my mech dog Sparky ;3
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

pop wrote:I gonna name my mech dog Sparky ;3
Perfect! :)
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

OH MAG GERD. Those kodo are AMAZING. WTG on those Blizz. *anxiously awaits new thunder lizards*

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

I just hope they don't replace the old Azeroth cats and wolves with the Draenor/MoP ones and call it a day in the future. I'm hoping since they haven't already, they won't... It's just that while I like the WoD wolves and love the MoP tigers, I like the old world Worgs, Coyotes, Sabers and cats too. Hopefully if they get around to replacing everything they'll do as good of a job as they have with Nagas, Kodos, core hounds and the various mini pets. Also crossing my fingers for hyenas soon!

And of course like the rest of you I'm hoping they'll still tweak the bear... Even if they don't fix the anatomy, since the old one has the same posture... At least fix the eyes, goatee and maybe narrow the snout? I just don't understand why they chose to change it up so much.

If it was a new "breed" of bears that weren't meant to replace the classic bears that'd be one thing, but...

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

The tigers don't look like the sabers, though... they don't have sabers, for one thing, and plus there's three very distinct 'breeds' of saber (basic cat, hunched mount type, and lion).

They do need an update, though, good grief. The jaggies on their manes (for wolves/worgs and lions) are so hideously obvious now... they look almost 8-bit! I have no problem with them updating them as long as they're as close to their originals as the kodos are.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I suspect they'll replace the old cats at some point, but if so they'd need to replicate a frackload of old skins from the old model. And because the original tiger and saber models share 90% of their skins (and most of the skins are in game on both models), it'd really be best to come up with two replacement models (tiger and saber) at the same time which can share the same new skin files, or at least modified ones.