Transmog 2.0

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Re: Transmog 2.0

Unread post by Slickrock »

Umm.. yes, a few low level mog sets will be lost. Never was terribly fond of those sets, but... One benefit of this that has been pointed out is that we'll gain some leather sets that are becoming mail. But there's another benefit that has been missed sofar...

Now, your level 1 alt hunter that you start leveling or whatever will have full access to all your other mail sets to mog over those hideous heirlooms. That's a HUGE benefit, and might be one of the reasons they are making this change, so the armour type doesn't change in the middle of leveling.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I'm conflicted on the sub40 mail/leather issue that some classes run into. I'm not personally a fan of any of the sub40 mail, so I don't have a dog in the fight, but I can see it being a problem.

On one hand, it seems obvious that most the sub40 mail is meant for a strength wearer, although itemization at those levels is weird (such as the str/agi stuff). Taking the mog option away from hunters/shamans and giving it to plate wearers (who seem to the be the primary focus of the gear at level) makes sense to me. Had they not done the armor classes at level 40, I suspect the majority of sub40 mail would be plate and never meant to be worn by a hunter to begin with.

On the other hand, I'm not a fan of things being ripped away. The above reason, while it makes sense, isn't good enough to justify taking those mogs away. However that would make things weird if they indeed made plate wearers wear plate from level 1.

And then the third hand is the whole issue of unlocking the mog. Some of these are difficult/impossible to get nowadays.

Tough situation. No matter what they choose, they will make someone mad. I am all for using your armor class from the get go, but these mog implications (and the outrage that will ensue over key pieces/sets) could be bad. Heres hoping they treat this with a scalpel and not a sledgehammer.
Drayk
Realm: Velen

Unread post by Drayk »

Yeah I'm pretty confused with how they're going about with the scarlet set... If the new transmog system goes through like they say pretty much nobody will have the set, mail users won't have it any more because it will be plate and plate users won't have it because it was mail before.

Unless they change how the looks are unlocked not even your plate wearing alts could use it either.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Maybe the scarlet set should be made cosmetic, like the Stormwind guard set from the garrison. Or at least pre-existing sets should unlock xmog for both plate and mail.
Cynarea
Realm: Stormrage

Unread post by Cynarea »

I... I think I died... Holy crap, this is amazing. Do you know how many times I've sold mog items? Too many times! This is so awesome.

Is it appearance based? For example, if my druid makes Mechanized Snow Goggles (Leather) can my Hunter mog the Mechanized Snow Goggles? (Mail)

"Nothing's perfect, the world's not perfect, but it's there for us, trying the best it can.
That's what makes it so damn beautiful." -Roy Mustang Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (2009 anime)

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Cynarea wrote:I... I think I died... Holy crap, this is amazing. Do you know how many times I've sold mog items? Too many times! This is so awesome.

Is it appearance based? For example, if my druid makes Mechanized Snow Goggles (Leather) can my Hunter mog the Mechanized Snow Goggles? (Mail)
Sadly no, but if you made Mechanized Snow Goggles (Leather), you would be able to use them for any Demon Hunter, Monk or Rogue however, but not cross armor classes.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

It would be nice if you could transmog and learn one armour type either side of yours. So, for example, you could transmog plate to mail. That would allow enough leeway to solve the issue of switching armour types after low level and would cover most cases where art for a different armour type has been used on gear. For example there are many instances of old gear where mail uses plate art, cloth uses leather, or vice versa. Make it more costly, if need be.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

And it would probably solve some issues with plate always looking like plate.
Putting your Tauren warrior in an appropiate look is really a pain in the... Well, you know where.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

What is their main aversion to letting us mog without armor type restrictions? Is it still the fear of hindered visual class/gear recognition, that a Death Knight will wear full priesty looking gear and trick someone in PvP? I don't see how thats worse than a fire mage looking like a priest or a resto druid looking like a monk.
Cynarea
Realm: Stormrage

Unread post by Cynarea »

SpiritBinder wrote:
Cynarea wrote:I... I think I died... Holy crap, this is amazing. Do you know how many times I've sold mog items? Too many times! This is so awesome.

Sadly no, but if you made Mechanized Snow Goggles (Leather), you would be able to use them for any Demon Hunter, Monk or Rogue however, but not cross armor classes.

Oh, well thank you. I already made some and just wanted to be sure I didn't waste mats.

"Nothing's perfect, the world's not perfect, but it's there for us, trying the best it can.
That's what makes it so damn beautiful." -Roy Mustang Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (2009 anime)

Kalasta
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Uther

Unread post by Kalasta »

Hella Sweet.

A big thank-you to Tårnfalk for re-sizing this sig pic.

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Came across this on another forum...

http://blizzardwatch.com/2016/01/21/leg ... smog-sets/

Some lower lvl mail sets may go to plate making some mogs not possible in legion :(

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Ickabob
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Ickabob »

I'm hoping they at least give us some replacement items that use the same looks as the gear we're losing.

Otherwise, it would suck really hard to lose transmogs that we worked so hard to farm, especially removed stuff like the Scarlet Crusade mail set .
Slickrock

Wain wrote:It would be nice if you could transmog and learn one armour type either side of yours. So, for example, you could transmog plate to mail. That would allow enough leeway to solve the issue of switching armour types after low level and would cover most cases where art for a different armour type has been used on gear. For example there are many instances of old gear where mail uses plate art, cloth uses leather, or vice versa. Make it more costly, if need be.
So I'm on my hunter in a random dungeon or pug raid.. some nice looking mail shoulder drop, and... both the DH and the ret pally roll on them for tmog.. And then it's even worse, because if you can "learn" 3 types of tmog, then people will also be grabbing them for their alts.

Unless all loot goes personal, you want restrictions just to control the ninjas.

I'd also suspect they'd say that this goes against the class fantasy they are trying to build up.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

They wouldn't have to change current group loot rules in order to accommodate an all mog system though. Needing would still be locked to appropriate classes.
Slickrock

Quiv wrote:They wouldn't have to change current group loot rules in order to accommodate an all mog system though. Needing would still be locked to appropriate classes.
True, but I still think class fantasy is why they are doing it.

(Mind you that there's some plate and leather I'd love to have access to as a hunter, but I'm not expecting it.)
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Yeah thats probably true. I never saw the mog system as being tied to class fantasy directly, but I can see the armor classes certainly being tied to it. Despite my personal desire to see an open mog system, I imagine the only time they would do it is when sub numbers need bolstering.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Just giving this thread a bump, because I'm wanting to see (for those in Alpha) if any big changes have been made and/or any new info has popped up.

As a mad collector, I'm eyeing up many sets, and trying to decide what to keep, what to throw away, and what to cry over (OH MY GOD KURA'S SCARLET MAIL SET IS RUINED!)
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

The Scarlet set will still exist. They are making a mail and plate version of each.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

That, at least, is good news!

I've been trying to figure out how to keep up on things without getting into spoilers, so I have to tread so carefully. ;)
Come see Kurasu's stables!