Changes to the Beast Mastery Spec

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.

Would you want Beast Mastery to be able to have multiple pets out at once?

Yes
60%
No
14%
Maybe
25%
OMG It would be to Overpowered (Insert QQ)
No votes

Total votes: 63

Takanuka
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

Changes to the Beast Mastery Spec

Unread post by Takanuka »

They are the master of beasts, wouldn't it be neat for this time around to have multiple pets out at once since they are masters of beasts? Since Enhancement Shamans get duo pets albeit they are for limited time but still would be neat and giving us a unique way to play if blizzard might change the ways of play styles of the specs again. We all know none hunters will whine to oblivion and back about this if it did come to be how bm works but would be fun.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Re: Changes to the Beast Mastery Spec

Unread post by Equeon »

I've thought about this a good deal. As cool as the idea is, I recommend you think: how would this actually work?

In a magical universe where balance doesn't matter, the "default" is literally having 2 pets out at once. It would be broken, it would be wonderful, it would be loads of fun for... pretty much only the Beastmaster hunter.

So let's go to the next logical alternative.

[Master of the Pack] - level 110 talent
You can summon up to two pets at once, but each pet is half as powerful as before.

If you kept the health or the damage the same, then it would pretty much automatically become better than one pet. So with this, you at least have a baseline balanced ability. But then you have to consider all the nuances...

How would the pet action bars work? Would one bar work for both? If you have Growl turned on, would they both taunt the same target?

If they are separate bars, then could you send your pets to attack different targets at the same time? How would Kill Command or Intimidation work?

It just seems like way too much to function properly, and even then it might never be balanced.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Yup its pretty much every BM hunter's wet dream for this. My idea would be that BM hunter get's a talent where their exotic pets damage increased to 120% but can only one one out at a time. But they can also have TWO non exotic pets out at once but the damage would be reduce to 60% each. The reason for this is that Exotic has 3 abilities while non exotic has only one, so I think it would be quite balanced.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I don't hate it in concept but as Equeon suggests, the practical implementation of it may not be so effective or fun or usable. But maybe it will... I'm open to them coming up with a system better than anything I can come up with. I suspect that both pets would have to act in unison, you couldn't practically have two pet bars and focus on everything else you need to do as well.

I'd still prefer to see BM get more out of the individual pet. So extend the current "Exotic" family bonus power system to all families, but for BM only.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Wain wrote:I don't hate it in concept but as Equeon suggests, the practical implementation of it may not be so effective or fun or usable. But maybe it will... I'm open to them coming up with a system better than anything I can come up with. I suspect that both pets would have to act in unison, you couldn't practically have two pet bars and focus on everything else you need to do as well.

I'd still prefer to see BM get more out of the individual pet. So extend the current "Exotic" family bonus power system to all families, but for BM only.
It should same as Dire Beast; the second pet just attack the same target.

And on unrelated note I think Direbeast should be a BM baseline skill and Blink Strike is a baseline Surv and BM skill in Legion.
Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Ghostlands (H) & Kirin Tor (A)

Unread post by Kalhoun »

Wain wrote:I'd still prefer to see BM get more out of the individual pet. So extend the current "Exotic" family bonus power system to all families, but for BM only.
This is what I really want. And the ability to switch out what buff each pet does. I want my wolf to be able to battle rez.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

They would have to fix the placement of the pets. Right now if you have 2 things out, one is behind you. At least that feels odd to me if it were 2 pets and the second was stuck behind and not beside.

Tuning would be a matter of numbers and turning knobs. All this would really bring is a second NPC that BM has control of, meaning a BM hunter is now 3 NPCs. If they balanced HP and damage around that, it could actually become a liability in PVP.
Kalhoun wrote:
Wain wrote:I'd still prefer to see BM get more out of the individual pet. So extend the current "Exotic" family bonus power system to all families, but for BM only.
This is what I really want. And the ability to switch out what buff each pet does. I want my wolf to be able to battle rez.
Both of these. We master beasts, so being able to "train" them to do something masterful is very fitting. Yes I understand the whole ideal of some beasts are too wild and ferocious that only a master of beasts can tame them (and I'm not entirely opposed to the idea) but man I just want to choose what buff my pets give out of the available. Combat buffs or whatever.

However, we have a smattering of pets that do extra stuff now. Take turtles. Would this mean SV could give the turtle Crit but couldn't use Shell Shield?
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

yeah that would be cool. as someone who gets really attached to my pets the option of having multiple pets out at once would be neat.

I am also a strong supporter of being able to choose what buff your pet will use. I thought we may get that in wod but i was wrong.

Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

Sorry, pop, but having two pets out at once is not this BM hunter's wet dream, at least. All I can see is beast masters getting even more blame for anything pet-related that goes wrong in a raid or instance, regardless of whether or not our pet(s) were actually responsible. Not to mention the balancing and function nightmares that others have mentioned. I think I like the idea of extending bonus abilities to all the beast master's pets, whether they are exotic or not. Which, I suppose, might cause a few balancing issues of its own...but likely fewer than taxing the poor system AI more with two pets per BM hunter.

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Loridon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Loridon »

I voted yes but I think its difficult to implement this (especially to balance this)

Maybe the hunter can have 2-5 pets out but only 1 is active,the main pet.
The other pets are passive,like companion pets.
The hunter can use a skill to activate those pets for a periode of time(like stampede)
The activated pets take the target from the main pet.
When the time has elapsed the pets go back passive and follow the hunter again.
biscitandchina
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: winterhoof

Unread post by biscitandchina »

Hmm I can see this working for us pet collectors if at 110 you can get the talent but the catch is it has to be 2 non bm pets(Wolves cats etc)
You can still use your sb but it will only be 1 pet instead of 2. I do think that this could work considering the fact that flight masters are in a way hunters and due to a past experience( by mistake! dumb orcs) they summon up two gryphons/hippogryphs/wind riders so i can see how this can work if blizz can play the cards right.

Or it can be as simple as 1 fights and 1 is like a companion pet but bigger.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Tahlian wrote:Sorry, pop, but having two pets out at once is not this BM hunter's wet dream, at least. All I can see is beast masters getting even more blame for anything pet-related that goes wrong in a raid or instance, regardless of whether or not our pet(s) were actually responsible. Not to mention the balancing and function nightmares that others have mentioned. I think I like the idea of extending bonus abilities to all the beast master's pets, whether they are exotic or not. Which, I suppose, might cause a few balancing issues of its own...but likely fewer than taxing the poor system AI more with two pets per BM hunter.
well since you know, our spec name is Beastmastery, you know, seems like only fitting?
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Well if what most people would like is the ability to have two pets out, what about if it's just a visual thing?

Maybe make it a cosmetic glyph, that duplicates a shadow/non targetable copy of what ever pet you currently have as your 1st pet in your active stable. That way it would do no damage, not interfere with KC, Intimidation or any other Hunter/pet abilities, but simply add the look. If it made people confused in PVP, they could just disable it while flagged or something (you know, just in case someone complains :P) Hell it could even be something SV could use too.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

It would be kind of cool to cosmetically have any or all of your extra active stable pets out while you're adventuring, even if only one is selected for combat. Switch a pet and they just rotate into the damage position. But I'm not sure how spammy and disruptive that would be for others when someone covers the Auction House with their 5 moths :P
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I don't really see why BM can't have 2 persistent active pets at one time, since we already have Stampede and Dire Beast, albeit they are both cds.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Two pets.. Maybe. At half the damage as already mentioned.
Anything more than that? Well.. I'd rather not have my class be hated any more than it is :) Being OP can be fun and all.. But even that has its limits.

Siggy under construction!

Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I haven't read through the responses, so it's probably already been said..... As awesome as it would be, I just don't know how they could do it and make it work right, let alone be balanced. I think I'd rather see BM hunters get extra abilities for their pets, like they do now, but with ANY pet. Scrap the "exotic" pets, since there isn't much difference anymore, and let them get the most out of whatever pet they want to use. And then maybe.....I dunno, some kind of fancy visual indication to set them apart from Survival hunters' pets? I'm not sure what, exactly, but something.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Tsiya
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Tsiya »

Rhyela wrote:I haven't read through the responses, so it's probably already been said..... As awesome as it would be, I just don't know how they could do it and make it work right, let alone be balanced. I think I'd rather see BM hunters get extra abilities for their pets, like they do now, but with ANY pet. Scrap the "exotic" pets, since there isn't much difference anymore, and let them get the most out of whatever pet they want to use. And then maybe.....I dunno, some kind of fancy visual indication to set them apart from Survival hunters' pets? I'm not sure what, exactly, but something.
Collars? Or maybe a glow? Actually, I don't think Soggy the slimealisk would be able to wear a collar. I'd love for BM's to be able to "transfer" exotic abilities to non-exotic pets, or just let us pick which skills our current pet uses. My beloved non-exotics would love to come out and play, and to have the slow fall on something other than a floppy derpy rylak would be awesome.

My pets - My companions

Sig by Sookie!

Zulmalakhan
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Defias Brotherhood

Unread post by Zulmalakhan »

how about if they just do half dmg each and link the two pets HP like they did the Illidari council or the blood princes, that could work fairly well also they give some sort of buff or do a debuff on the enemy when they are both alive, this way it makes sense to have two, make it sort of a gamble talent where its bad if one dies but its good when both are alive, you know, give them a clever girl passive like in jurassic park, one distracts one attacks because they hunt in packs ;) 8-)
Demonicow
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Echo Isles

Unread post by Demonicow »

heres a better idea give us fervor as baseline(for all specs) cuz it was stupid in general to remove a perfectly good talent, also beast mastery used to "reduce the cooldown of your pet special abilities by 30%" in addition to allowing you to tame exotic pets could we see it make a return as well as a glyph for bm that allows us to ride our pets and also make hunter pets larger then they are up to a limit and this would be disabled in combat and let us have eyes of the beast again cuz why not?

lets make bm fun again
"Y’know, Taurens are born hunters. You ever see a Tauren catch a salmon out of a stream? It really is quite exciting. You ever see a Tauren stalk a python? 'Course you haven't. That's because Tauren are so adept at blending in with their surroundings."

"Five curses and spite live in each gnome this truth cant be ignored, the best way to get rid of a gnome is to throw that Gnome Overboard.""

Armory