More BM artifact variants

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
HunterFTW
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: muridain

Re: More BM artifact variants

Unread post by HunterFTW »

I must be the only person that likes the Guns. BUT I will be vary happy if I see a skin that matches Spirit beasts. Loque'nahak being my main BM baby I would love it if there is a skin out there that matches her. I also plan on trying Survival hunter so if I find a spear skin that matches my hydra more then happy. I like what I see so far but its just my opinion.
Ickabob
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Ickabob »

HunterFTW wrote:I must be the only person that likes the Guns.
Nope. I happen to love it, though I like some of the alternate color schemes more than others.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

HunterFTW wrote:... I will be vary happy if I see a skin that matches Spirit beasts
This is a very good point concerning the fantasy of the gun's story/design. Instead of the Techno-Magic angle, shouldn't a gun for Beast Masters revolve around the beasts they master? Some variants could be adorned with trophy skulls, but other variants could have design based on the spirit and silhouette of beasts, like a Spirit Beast.

But instead we get magic robot titan gun for beast masters. I wish I could make sense of it. It feels like they came up with an idea they liked (and I don't mind the story in-and-of itself) but then had to force it on hunters somewhere.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

That's how I feel about it, too. It's a neat concept, but it feels very forced to me. Beast-type guns would be really interesting, though!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Quiv wrote:
HunterFTW wrote:... I will be vary happy if I see a skin that matches Spirit beasts
This is a very good point concerning the fantasy of the gun's story/design. Instead of the Techno-Magic angle, shouldn't a gun for Beast Masters revolve around the beasts they master? Some variants could be adorned with trophy skulls, but other variants could have design based on the spirit and silhouette of beasts, like a Spirit Beast.

But instead we get magic robot titan gun for beast masters. I wish I could make sense of it. It feels like they came up with an idea they liked (and I don't mind the story in-and-of itself) but then had to force it on hunters somewhere.
I would had prefer the design based on exotic beasts; Chimeara, Corehound, Quillen, Shale Spider, Devilsaur, Rhino/Clefthoof etc
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Quiv wrote:

I'm really agree here too, they have made how many new forms for druid bears and cats, if they had gone down a similar Vein for BM hunters I'd would have loved that.

But then problems arise. Unless they just add auras/effects to your pet of choice (which by all means would be awesome) All BM hunters would be forced to use the one family type (all feral Druids are cats, so they can make a collection of awesome cat variants with no worry) So if they picked a wolf as the "artifact" it would most likey upset anyone who prefers one of the many other families.

If they added auras/effects to your current pet as I mentioned, well then BM would not have a shiny New Model and then others would feel let down, missing out.

Other issue is that we still HAVE to use a weapon in conjunction with out pet (feral Druids BEING the weapon, this in not an issue) So then what do they assign us? If they are giving bows to windrunner themed MM, I guess Guns are just more iconic than Crossbows ingane, though there are some awesome cross bow options.

My personal choice... Sure make it Gun, but have other skins that are crossbows. There are some artifacts that change from looking very similar to swords, to glaives, to fist weapons all from the one artifact.

A gun and mechanical repeating crossbow are not completley dissimilar. They have a lot more in common than a crossbow and bow. They're used/held in a similar fashion, use triggers to fire, etc.

And lastly, for a little flavor, maybe certain guns/crossbow skins could also add a visual effect to you current pet.

Eg. Let's say there is a Electic themed crossbow, once your pet start attacking its claws/paw/beak/what ever gets an electrical charged visual on them for a short duration after they attack?

It would be so tricky to make everyone happy, but I totally get it (I like guns, but the idea of being locked to one for new visuals for an entire expansion makes me pretty darn sad) I'm just glad I'm not in the designers shoes trying to get it right.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Well, we do have one mechanical repeating crossbow from the looks of it. Hopefully one or two more will be added later into beta.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Really?? Dang I must have missed it! Was that the "Cobra" looking one?

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

HunterFTW wrote:I must be the only person that likes the Guns.
I like them. I'm not fond of big flashy guns, I'm using the crafted level 2 model for mine now. I was using the trailseeker model before that (from a quest in STV). I kind of wish the elekk gun model didn't have the skull draped over it. IIRC, the most popular gun xmog is wolfslayer sniper rifle, from kara. I guess the trick is to make a model that isn't over the top, but still looks polished. I'm probably going to go with the first model, since it doesn't have a perma-laser on it.

And I absolutely associate guns with BM. I've only ever played BM on Xota, and she's only ever used guns. I didn't even fire a single arrow or crossbow bolt when you had to level weapon skills (I did max throwing though). I only equipped a bow after xmog came out. And I also copied the old gun sounds over so I don't have to suffer through my weapon whispering all the time. I like the ratatat-tat.

I get why other people like bows. Guns just don't feel right for some characters, just like bows just don't feel right for mine. But I think it's specious to say that guns don't fit BM, and fish for reasons like it would scare away pets. It's sufficient to want to be able to customize your own character, and that's the major downside to artifacts. Artifacts pigeonhole characters based on spec, not on character. And for people who want a different weapon type, they'll go a whole expansion without contemporary weapon art, in an expansion where weapon customization is supposed to be a key feature.

Also, I don't like the druid feral forms. They have weird stripes and a mane. I guess at least they don't have cow horns, but I just want to be a panther.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

My favorite is the Mark "S" Boomstick, so I totally feel ya. :) And Rhyela, like your hunter, has almost never used a bow. She's always been a gun girl. I admit that I like the idea of customizable artifacts, but I'm not thrilled with the fact that we're locked into one and one only per spec. I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to transmog over their artifacts, and all this time and energy spent will have gone to waste. :|

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Araucaria
Realm: Ghostlands

Unread post by Araucaria »

pop wrote:
Quiv wrote:

I would had prefer the design based on exotic beasts; Chimeara, Corehound, Quillen, Shale Spider, Devilsaur, Rhino/Clefthoof etc
Totally agree with that; the current gun models don't seem to have any connection to our pets, save the abilities, and BM is all about pets. Given that BM is the only one with the ability to tame Exotic beasts, then making a connection between pets and weapons could be through Exotics.
Here are two ideas that could possibly fit, and a bow slightly similar to the base gun, plus cobras
BM Artifact Exotic Guns.jpg
BM Artifact Exotic Guns.jpg (50.39 KiB) Viewed 12433 times
A steel Devilsaur head and a Spirit Beast emanating gun, like the shaman shoulders from DS
A double barrel gun with two Core Hound or Chimaera heads would probably look good :)
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Araucaria wrote:Here are two ideas that could possibly fit, and a bow slightly similar to the base gun, plus cobras
BM Artifact Exotic Guns.jpg
A steel Devilsaur head and a Spirit Beast emanating gun, like the shaman shoulders from DS
A double barrel gun with two Core Hound or Chimaera heads would probably look good :)
Very nice! This is exactly what I was referring to, weapons that have the spirit and silhouette of beasts since that is the core of our fantasy.

There are examples in game of items that also have beast flavor. Like mentioned, we already have examples of this with the (ironically) shaman shoulders from Icecrown Citadel and Dragon Soul. The spirit version of beast appears around them every now and then. Not every gun has to be a skull, but they could have done a lot with the spirit/nature/silhouette of beasts in their weapon design, instead of titan ray gun from the future.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

If they don't let BM/MM use the alternate models, then titanstrike should have a bow variant (and not just the sideways snake crossbow). I'd make it a compound bow featuring Thunderspark, like a cross between Chicken-splitter and Arathor.

The best example of an elven looking gun (I know of) is:
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Regardless.. I think hunters got one of the shorter straws when it comes to artifact design. They are nice, but certainly not on the top end of the design spectrum.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I just wish they didn't all look like a vacuum cleaner with a stock on the end.

Seriously, it's like... Artifacts by Dyson(tm)

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Nachtwulf wrote:I just wish they didn't all look like a vacuum cleaner with a stock on the end.

well, they DO suck.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Sukurachi wrote:
Nachtwulf wrote:I just wish they didn't all look like a vacuum cleaner with a stock on the end.

well, they DO suck.
Ironclaws
Realm: Icecrown/ The Venture Co

Unread post by Ironclaws »

Sukurachi wrote:

well, they DO suck.

Omg! I <3 you both! XD

But for real, I don't really like any of these skins. I'm so used to using a bow and I don't much like the sound effect of guns. They'll have to come up with something better (for my personal tastes) before I switch to it.
Heleos
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Medivh

Unread post by Heleos »

Nimrod wrote:I'll be glad I'll finally be able to transmog it to Lohn'goron. CSRs have refused to replace that quest reward for the past four years - finally be able to use it with Legion, though.
I'm doing the same or probably going with that cool gun from Karazhan.
Heleos
Night Elf Hunter
Medivh- US
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

The other thing folks aren't mentioning is that some of the weapon looks may require quite a bit of work to get..
Account has been closed at user's request.