Gnome hunters!

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Gnome hunters!

Unread post by Rawr »

Sylvanas is a Ranger NOT a Hunter, Ranger = Rogue + Hunter - Pet, no pet no issue with being Undead. I'm really really tiered of people glazing over things so they fit together better for them. Not harping on you Wain, I'm just sick of the Sylvanas argument being the only justification for Undead Hunters. :x :mrgreen:

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Rawr wrote:Sylvanas is a Ranger NOT a Hunter, Ranger = Rogue + Hunter - Pet, no pet no issue with being Undead. I'm really really tiered of people glazing over things so they fit together better for them. Not harping on you Wain, I'm just sick of the Sylvanas argument being the only justification for Undead Hunters. :x :mrgreen:
Nathanos Blightcaller says "Hey Hey!" :mrgreen:

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Rawr

Unread post by Rawr »

Corrupted creatures are not the same, undead/blighted/corrupted all like the Undead, but can Hunters tame them, no. Hunters tame Beasts, normal Beasts. Nathanos Blightcaller calls corrupted creatures to fight for him, he is more like a twisted Shaman in that regard. If Hunters could tame things like that my Huntress would have tamed Beauty a long time ago. :mrgreen:

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Rawr wrote:Corrupted creatures are not the same, undead/blighted/corrupted all like the Undead, but can Hunters tame them, no. Hunters tame Beasts, normal Beasts. Nathanos Blightcaller calls corrupted creatures to fight for him, he is more like a twisted Shaman in that regard. If Hunters could tame things like that my Huntress would have tamed Beauty a long time ago. :mrgreen:
But we can tame things like that. He originally had hyenas. After Cata he left behind some corrupted dogs that you could tame. They weren't special, just beasts with a corrupted glow that was lost upon taming.

But ultimately, no matter what your headcanon is, he is a hunter because Blizzard said he's a hunter.

Regardless of whether it's true in this case or not, the Warcraft story isn't always consistent, and to be honest it's not great literature and it's not a very original world. It's a story that is constantly re-adapted to fit a video game and and it's full of silliness and cliches and themes repeated ad nauseam and I don't think it deserves that level of scrutiny. Its strength has been in the game and not the brilliance and robustness of its underlying story. If you look too hard for consistency to fit your "headcanon" then I think you're going to be constantly disillusioned. Don't get me wrong, plenty of things still grate on me too (stupid Draenor wildlife) but ultimately you just have to accept that what Blizzard says about the world IS the lore.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

In hindsight they probably should of added gnomes back then instead of undead and added them for Legion as MM is kinda turning out to be the ranger class (which eliminates the whole living pet thing - ps I don't consider cockroaches in the same class as fluffy the wolf Wain :lol: ).

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Rawr

Unread post by Rawr »

"In life, Nathanos Marris was the first and last of the human ranger lords, trained by the high elves in the ways of war." He is classified as a Dark Ranger, Ranger, Hunter, the only thing I can find on him and Hunters starts in Cata (when Blizz started throwing lore out the window) so if he turned into a Hunter then, it doesn't surprise me. :| Also in game he summons skeletons when you fight him so they seem to have tacked on + Pet to him (I can't find anything on him while he is living having pets). Anyways I'm done ranting about this for now, back to Fallout 4 :D :mrgreen:

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

For me it's all so convoluted, sure people might not like particular direction lore is taking, but we also have lore that Rexxar is BM hunter wielding 2 X axes with a pet Dread Raven. The more ya want to make sense of wow, the more it's gonna hurt ya head. Just enjoy that aspects that you do, let the rest be what it is, a random magical make-believe world... of Warcraft :D

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Rawr wrote:Anyways I'm done ranting about this for now, back to Fallout 4 :D :mrgreen:
I feel like I'm one of only about 2 people not playing that right now ;) It must be good.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Rawr

Unread post by Rawr »

Wain wrote:
Rawr wrote:Anyways I'm done ranting about this for now, back to Fallout 4 :D :mrgreen:
I feel like I'm one of only about 2 people not playing that right now ;) It must be good.
GET IT :shock: My bf hates the Fallout/Elder Scrolls games, but he loves this one. He said it was the beginning, it hooked him and he wanted to see more (his Skyrim time is at max, 2 hours) he currently has about 75 hours clocked in FO4. Ok sleepy time now. :D :mrgreen:

Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Unread post by Thwip »

If you wanna get uber-technical about what a Ranger is or is not.... Here is the wiki article with a thorough breakdown. Now, whether you agree or not is another thing entirely.

I'm going to also go out of my way to say that apply lore so hardcore to an mmo game that is 90% focused on 'The Player' is usually hard to pull off in a consistent way. Most of the time we're breaking lore as is by being 'The Ones' to go defeat 'Big Bad X', not to mention everyone of 'The Players' is going through the exact same lore/quests/raids. When you really think about it, we're the worse Mary Sues ever since 'we' just happen to always be 'The Hero'. As far as I'm concerned, we're not the True Canon to the story, so having some nuances just so people can play X class with X race isn't that big of a deal.

Outside of Sylvanas, she has that whole troupe of Dark Rangers, quite a few of them are seen with Spiders in the newer Hillsbrad areas, the same pet type Undead hunters start with. There is also more then plenty of diseased/dead/ghost pets around. A few being right there in Tirisfal. Yet you can't very well tell a whole race that they're 'not allowed' to have living pets just because they started with an Undead.

And speaking as an Undead Hunter Main, I am pleased with my race. For me Undead with living pets are clinging to old memories of their past life. Outside of that, I can easily see Forsaken with any form of dead/diseased/ghost/bug/worm pets.

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Putting this here too because well obviously.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

This game feels unplayable until I can start a level 1 Gnome Hunter and level her with her mech pet. She would not be a BM hunter, she will be an MM hunter, MechMastery Hunter ;)
PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

Thwip wrote:If you wanna get uber-technical about what a Ranger is or is not.... Here is the wiki article with a thorough breakdown. Now, whether you agree or not is another thing entirely.

I'm going to also go out of my way to say that apply lore so hardcore to an mmo game that is 90% focused on 'The Player' is usually hard to pull off in a consistent way. Most of the time we're breaking lore as is by being 'The Ones' to go defeat 'Big Bad X', not to mention everyone of 'The Players' is going through the exact same lore/quests/raids. When you really think about it, we're the worse Mary Sues ever since 'we' just happen to always be 'The Hero'. As far as I'm concerned, we're not the True Canon to the story, so having some nuances just so people can play X class with X race isn't that big of a deal.

Outside of Sylvanas, she has that whole troupe of Dark Rangers, quite a few of them are seen with Spiders in the newer Hillsbrad areas, the same pet type Undead hunters start with. There is also more then plenty of diseased/dead/ghost pets around. A few being right there in Tirisfal. Yet you can't very well tell a whole race that they're 'not allowed' to have living pets just because they started with an Undead.

And speaking as an Undead Hunter Main, I am pleased with my race. For me Undead with living pets are clinging to old memories of their past life. Outside of that, I can easily see Forsaken with any form of dead/diseased/ghost/bug/worm pets.
Darkhounds/blighthounds weren't/aren't undead (or at least don't seem to be) and undead hound trainers in Howling Fjord even ask you to go help feed their hounds, which seems to imply a need to feed them. Undead vrykul, called vargul or something similar, can be seen with living Northrend saber-worgs.

The whole "hunters aren't rangers" argument is a little weird imo. If anything, rangers in WoW lore have been described as even more nature-y than what Blizzard seems to be making hunters out to be in recent years, and embody what a lot of the community seem to see hunters as. Rangers in the RPG (which is not canon officially, but come on, we don't have much else to go on) had druid-like abilities with some command of natural magic, they simply used it differently and preferred ranged weapons. Hunters in WoW have poisons and nature-damage inflicting shots, and one of the most iconic shots from way-back-when, arcane shot, can be argued as natural magic as well. The leylines are Azeroth's natural magical fonts, it wouldn't be too out there to think that a hunter/ranger is actually tapping into Azeroth to infuse raw, natural arcane magic with their arrow/bullet (or even a solid mass to MAKE a projectile, as arcane is weird and can take on the properties of other elements/matter) as they fire.

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com