Tamable Mechanicals confirmed!

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Tamable Mechanicals confirmed!

Unread post by Wain » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:46 pm

Lupen202 wrote:
Slickrock wrote:
Wain wrote:There is no way they'd require a profession in order to tame an entire family of pets because it would have the effect of making that profession feel almost obligatory....
What about Archeology? Would be a nice benefit there, for those that put in the work.
The problem with the "obligatory" argument is that if you make everything accessible without effort, then the value is diminished. Same problem crafting professions have.. why put in the work if you have the gold handy?
I'll be willing to bet that the spirit moose from Arch in Legion will be sellable.. and that makes me sad.
To be honest I don't really see how making a profession feel almost obligatory equals effort?
I'm still confused by that too. They've only just finished removing the profession stat bonuses which saw raiders pressured to learn the profession that had a stat bonus that matched their spec and not the one that fit with what they wanted to craft. I very much doubt that the class designers will want Hunters to feel like they must take Engineering to have access to the full scope of pets.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:13 pm

On the obligatory professions point...as a raiding hunter you actually feel obliged to take certain professions that benefit you most in dps as a raider in order to help your raid the most anyway - this isn't something new. Leatherworking for epic gear and another to either feed it or engineering for the goggles that were BiS for most expansions and to craft a weapon (gun).

So in some way you are obliged to take certain professions on some level...in saying that I get why people would want mechanical pets accessable to everyone and why some engineers who have without a doubt the most expensive profession to lvl would be miffed that every man and his dog would get cool mechanical pets that perhaps they feel they have earnt (?) by being loyal to the profession...as long as the book is a money earner for engineers I'm guessing that might balance it out. But I can see both sides of the coin to this.

Mechanical pets isn't something I'm as excited about as other people clearly are but they are a nice way to usher gnomes into the class and i'm all for that kind of effort :)

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:20 pm

I think the Nano-Bot injector should be crafted by engineers, but as a relatively cheap-to-make BoE item rewarded from a special hunter-only questline.
Professions are very easy and quick to level since Warlords of Draenor, and if you don't want to level Engineering, you could just buy it from the AH or get a guildie to make one for you.

Since Engineering was first added to the game, a large part of that profession was about crafting various gadget creatures to help you in combat or accompany you on your adventures. That's exactly what the new Mechs will do for hunters. The item is just too fitting to be unassociated with the Engineering profession... it would be like having a Dinomancer class, but still having a random unrelated drop for the book to tame Direhorns.

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:26 pm

Castile wrote:On the obligatory professions point...as a raiding hunter you actually feel obliged to take certain professions that benefit you most in dps as a raider in order to help your raid the most anyway - this isn't something new. Leatherworking for epic gear and another to either feed it or engineering for the goggles that were BiS for most expansions and to craft a weapon (gun).

So in some way you are obliged to take certain professions on some level...in saying that I get why people would want mechanical pets accessable to everyone and why some engineers who have without a doubt the most expensive profession to lvl would be miffed that every man and his dog would get cool mechanical pets that perhaps they feel they have earnt (?) by being loyal to the profession...as long as the book is a money earner for engineers I'm guessing that might balance it out. But I can see both sides of the coin to this.

Mechanical pets isn't something I'm as excited about as other people clearly are but they are a nice way to usher gnomes into the class and i'm all for that kind of effort :)
But aside from the goggles which do require engineering, the other crafted items do not require you to have that profession; I can go on my leatherworker and buy an engineered gun right now. So while you might feel the need to take a certain profession to save on costs, you aren't exactly obligated to.

Which is why I think it'd be perfectly fine if engineering was required to make the item, but then it could be sold on the auction house to anyone for a small to moderate amount of gold so you aren't obligated to take up engineering if you don't want to. This way, those who do happen to be engineers can make a profit but everyone with a little bit of gold will be able to go out and tame mechas.

But we don't know anything right now so no point getting worked up. For all we know the item could be from a rare or elite mob like the fel wolf, or a quest, or a faction...

Neiara - Vulpera hunter - Burning Blade (US)

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:20 pm

I wonder what mech pet ability will be? Self Desctruct? lol

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:48 am

pop wrote:I wonder what mech pet ability will be? Self Desctruct? lol
LOL that would be amazing.

Although annoying having to rez it all the time.

Or would it be repair pet? Rebuild pet?

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:50 am

Reassemble!

(Johnny 5 flash back)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.

Doc Privas
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Doc Privas » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:22 am

Ooooh this is great! :) I hope we can tame those dwarven golems aswell, I love them!

Cloudstrider - Highmountain Tauren Hunter
Argent Dawn EU

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:03 pm

Quiv wrote:

I WONDER WHAT CAN WE FEED THEM WITH? OMG OIL? GARBAGE?

Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm and Azuremyst

Unread post by Arthur » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:10 pm

It's mean to say but it would be really funny to me if mechanical pets exploded when they died. Like. Boom. Gone. Haha.

Hmm.. I don't think mechanicals would need food.. But it would be cool if you oiled them up to 'heal' them like you feed normal pets

Imagemounts - pets - armory - dragon lairImage

Oona

Unread post by Oona » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:23 pm

Tenryu wrote:Ooooh this is great! :) I hope we can tame those dwarven golems aswell, I love them!
Not to rain in the parade of those wanting to tame harvesters,shredders,feel reavers and what's not,but I got the feeling we will be limited to beast like mechs like the Mechano Striders,the mech scorpion etc.

Oona

Unread post by Oona » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:25 pm

pop wrote:
Quiv wrote:

I WONDER WHAT CAN WE FEED THEM WITH? OMG OIL? GARBAGE?
Energon?

Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Ghostlands (H) & Kirin Tor (A)

Unread post by Kalhoun » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:05 am

*MUCH EXCITE*

Albain
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Albain » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:09 pm

I have spent a good chunk of today flying around looking at various mechanicals out there, and I have to say I really hope it's NOT limited to the Companion Pet skins. There's a whole lot of interesting mechanical things to be tamed, and being limited to say, a clockwork squirrel and similar things, would be restrictive.

But on the other hand when they introduced a special tame last time it came with newly created beasts to go after! So I am going to be cautiously optimistic that we won't be going back and taming a mechanical sheep for our pet, but going forward into Legion entirely new and unseen mechancals to wrangle!

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:47 pm

Albain wrote: So I am going to be cautiously optimistic that we won't be going back and taming a mechanical sheep for our pet, but going forward into Legion entirely new and unseen mechancals to wrangle!
Although I'm not a gnome fan (i only have one gnome toon out of my whole account) I would totally roll one for a mechanical sheep pet!! :lol:

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Sha'Halo

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:50 pm

Albain wrote:I have spent a good chunk of today flying around looking at various mechanicals out there, and I have to say I really hope it's NOT limited to the Companion Pet skins. There's a whole lot of interesting mechanical things to be tamed, and being limited to say, a clockwork squirrel and similar things, would be restrictive.

But on the other hand when they introduced a special tame last time it came with newly created beasts to go after! So I am going to be cautiously optimistic that we won't be going back and taming a mechanical sheep for our pet, but going forward into Legion entirely new and unseen mechancals to wrangle!

You know, if I could tame and then sic a Mechanical sheep on someone. I'd be a bit more interested. Especially if they had a 'Self destruct' function as their special where you hit the button and they do a significant burst of damage, (But then need to be Revived (Reconstructed)