Tamable Mechanicals confirmed!

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Re: Tamable Mechanicals confirmed!

Unread post by Bulletdance »

I noticed the gnome in the one pic had a mech chicken pet. I would die of happiness if that became a real pet.
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock »

Peridot wrote:Would love a robot raptor pet

I'm very against it being restricted to one race or one profession.
I mean. If it is. Whatever, but.
People who want that sound very anti-fun. It's annoying
Yes, I guess I'm terrible and anti-fun.. excuuuuuuse me for wanting value to my profession...

Since so many here like to throw around the term.. I'll go ahead. Mech-pets that don't involve engineering in some way are a slap in the face to those that have stuck with engineering.

At a minimum, those tomes should be crafted by engineers.
Account has been closed at user's request.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

If we don't get a mech hydra with some biological parts, I'll be a little sad. Even more sad if there's no robo-Gorilla pet for us to tame. A-ME-01 is the only gorilla I'd ever want to tame, since their models are ugly as sin. I loved doing the A-ME-01 quest pre-cataclysm, because it was simple and easy. I was sad when I couldn't tame the robot gorilla too.

As for how the taming fluid is obtained, it should be a joint effort between Alchemy and Engineering.
1. Engineer makes a quest item
2. Requires an item that Alchemists make for the quest
3. Mix them together, wait for a short time (kind of like the decoder ring for the rogue dagger legendary)
4. Once time's up, it can be traded and used
5. From there, it becomes a repeatable quest that has a shorter time to wait (You learn how to do it quicker, basically)

I'm sure people would hate it, since waiting is a sin and all, but I would love a bit of realism. I mean, waiting for the nanobots to disperse in the liquid enough so that they're entirely unnoticeable to the naked eye would be better than random clumps that would clog your veins, for example. I'd hate to be the guy who died of a "blood" clot caused by nanobots, to be honest!
MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

As long as it's not race-restricted, I have no issues with this being made by engineers. It seems to have no level restrictions (nice) and it's not bop, which kinda suggests maybe it'll be a created item that you'd be able to buy/make multiple times for multiple hunters.
Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Arthur »

Slickrock wrote:
Peridot wrote:Would love a robot raptor pet

I'm very against it being restricted to one race or one profession.
I mean. If it is. Whatever, but.
People who want that sound very anti-fun. It's annoying
Yes, I guess I'm terrible and anti-fun.. excuuuuuuse me for wanting value to my profession...

Since so many here like to throw around the term.. I'll go ahead. Mech-pets that don't involve engineering in some way are a slap in the face to those that have stuck with engineering.

At a minimum, those tomes should be crafted by engineers.
It wasn't even directed at you, but alrighty.

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

As a lifelong engineer, I have personally have no problem with mech-pets not being tied into professions. There are folks on both sides of that coin, and thats OK.

Engineers can be involved in a way that adds flavor to taming mechanicals, but doesn't add unnecessarily stumbling-blocks. I think it would be neat if engineers made the item that allowed taming mechs and could sell them. As long as they aren't stupid expensive to make (they shouldn't be), that would be cool to me. I think the Inscription "Certificate of Ownership" is as close as we've gotten to this kind of profession/pet relation, but even thats not apples to apples.

I am fine with Engineering having a part as long as its from a flavor/fantasy standpoint, and doesn't interfere with people taming them. I am however strongly against mech pets being tamed by Engineers only. In my opinion that would be a bad move on so many levels.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Quiv wrote:As a lifelong engineer, I have personally have no problem with mech-pets not being tied into professions. There are folks on both sides of that coin, and thats OK.

Engineers can be involved in a way that adds flavor to taming mechanicals, but doesn't add unnecessarily stumbling-blocks. I think it would be neat if engineers made the item that allowed taming mechs and could sell them. As long as they aren't stupid expensive to make (they shouldn't be), that would be cool to me. I think the Inscription "Certificate of Ownership" is as close as we've gotten to this kind of profession/pet relation, but even thats not apples to apples.

I am fine with Engineering having a part as long as its from a flavor/fantasy standpoint, and doesn't interfere with people taming them. I am however strongly against mech pets being tamed by Engineers only. In my opinion that would be a bad move on so many levels.
I second all of this. :D That way, engineers can profit, hunter-engineers don't have to pay, and non-engie hunters aren't locked out of the possibility.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Oona

Unread post by Oona »

MaximumOverdrive wrote:What's ability do you think they'll have? A passive buff like most or an active use? The only other pet like the mechs is the direhorns, and they have an active use, but man do I not like it. Hopefully it'll be something more useful...maybe a stun...
!
Most likely a stat buffing ability,perhaps called "overclocking" or "gearshift " or something along those lines.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Apparently using the Mecha-Mind Synchronization Fluid adds Mechanically Synchronized to your hunter, probably like the Ancient Zandalari Knowledge did.

http://beta.wowhead.com/spell=205154/me ... ht-by-item

As an aside, MMO-Champion's hunter talent calculator has Ancient Zandalar Knowledge as baseline at level 1. Edit: Its this way now, false alarm.
Last edited by Quiv on Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

Quiv wrote:Apparently using the Mecha-Mind Synchronization Fluid adds Mechanically Synchronized to your hunter, probably like the Ancient Zandalari Knowledge did.

http://beta.wowhead.com/spell=205154/me ... ht-by-item

As an aside, MMO-Champion's hunter talent calculator has Ancient Zandalar Knowledge as baseline at level 1.

Yeah, probably the spell is baseline lvl 1, but the item to learn it is level 90. While this new mech item doesn't have a level restriction to use. Which will be nice for when you make new hunters so they can tame mechs right away.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

MaximumOverdrive wrote:Yeah, probably the spell is baseline lvl 1, but the item to learn it is level 90. While this new mech item doesn't have a level restriction to use. Which will be nice for when you make new hunters so they can tame mechs right away.
Indeed it turns out it is currently listed as baseline level 1. I thought since it required 90, it would list at 90, which is what threw me off. I edited my post. False alarm!
Kalliope

Quiv wrote:
MaximumOverdrive wrote:Yeah, probably the spell is baseline lvl 1, but the item to learn it is level 90. While this new mech item doesn't have a level restriction to use. Which will be nice for when you make new hunters so they can tame mechs right away.
Indeed it turns out it is currently listed as baseline level 1. I thought since it required 90, it would list at 90, which is what threw me off. I edited my post. False alarm!
It's probably a level 1 ability so if Blizzard decides to make it baseline in the future, all they have to do is activate the spell and remove the tomes. A natural error to make. :)

YouTube Edition

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

There is no way they'd require a profession in order to tame an entire family of pets because it would have the effect of making that profession feel almost obligatory. Having engineers make the teaching item is a viable possibility, however. If other 'fringe' groups of pets are ever opened for taming then it's possible the teaching items could come from other player sources, e.g. more elemental beasts taught by a shaman item, mana worms from mages, maybe more undead beasts from a death knight source. I don't want to divert the discussion into whether those groups should be allowed, they were just given for the sake of examples.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Wain wrote:There is no way they'd require a profession in order to tame an entire family of pets because it would have the effect of making that profession feel almost obligatory....
What about Archeology? Would be a nice benefit there, for those that put in the work.

The problem with the "obligatory" argument is that if you make everything accessible without effort, then the value is diminished. Same problem crafting professions have.. why put in the work if you have the gold handy?

I'll be willing to bet that the spirit moose from Arch in Legion will be sellable.. and that makes me sad.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Kalliope

It takes work to get the gold in the first place. It doesn't always have to be the iron price. :)

YouTube Edition

Calomel
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Icecrown

Unread post by Calomel »

I'm not an engineer, but I really support the idea that engineers could craft this item. If the level 1 gnome hunter is any guess, it could possibly be craftable at a very low engineering level, unless gnomes get the ability automatically as a racial.

Tanin - Troll - Beast Master - Icecrown, US
Currently Hunting: ...for the pacifier...

PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

I got this nasty feeling in my gut that it may be related to Beast Mastery and its artifact. Its artifact is connected to Mimiron, the weapon itself is hyper-tech-y, and BM is the most pet-focused spec. Dual-spec was ditched in favor of having access to all specs at any time, which seems to encourage everyone to gather every artifact. If mechs aren't exotic (which I hope they aren't; that's assuming they even keep exotics) then maybe the requirement to tame them is to finish the BM artifact quest line. Letting gnomes start with one could be similar to pandaren being the only hunters with access to cranes and quilen until Pandaria (but once a gnome abandons the pet, it has to wait 'till 100 to get it back).

While I'm all for having neat stuff like that tie in, it'll also mean that mech pets could be restricted to level 100, but perhaps also expand on the "fantasy." For example, marks can be a cunning sniper with the perfect touch (Nathanos Marris or Alleria maybe?) or a dark magic-slinging spellbow type with the dark ranger talents (Sylvanas, of course). Survival seems to be just a name and similar to beast masters in their natural affinity and overall sense of "savagery" but with their own unique twist on surviving in the wilderness for an extended time, one of their talents even being tied to the mok'nathal (Rexxar). Beast masters can be interpreted as the most in-tune with nature and animals, unleashing the most in a beast companion and taking the aspects of these creatures unto themselves (another side of Rexxar)... or as a literal master of beasts with a pack of hounds at his beck and call, ready to seek the next big game (can be seen in Nesingwary). With these mechs, being able to be a madman engineer/scientist with a swarm of robots to unleash similar to the Tinker hero from WC3 is a really cool thought. I've personally always wanted a tinker-esque class and this could be the closest I could get. Blizzard likes to build fantasy on race stereotypes, not individuals; if your gnome or goblin is a nature-loving friend of animals, that's all well and good, but most gnomes and goblins aren't - this gives Blizzard justification for making gnomes and goblins able to be hunters and beast masters by explaining that they're just sending a bunch of robots to attack something.

i get off track too easily
Last edited by PrimalTazza on Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Sha'Halo

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

I seem to be the odd one out, but this doesn't have me all that excited. Nor do I feel it's obligatory. There are 100s of pets. If you want mechanical pets I feel being an engineer or getting an engineer to make the item is fine. My hunter 'is' an engineer but I seldom do too much with it.

Still the entire 'mech family' is getting ALOT of press with ALOT of speculation. It could be a rather minor thing thrown in for flavor and the "family" may be very small. Akin to Spirit beasts when they first came out. 1-3 pets that fit and that's it. They might throw in another now and then. People seem to be thinking they'll suddenly have access to dozens and dozens of different robots to sic on people. It might not be that. (It might, but that seems like alot of work, for what's down to 2 specs of -one- class now).

More over I half wonder if this "Gnome hunters/mech pets" is why BM is getting shafted so hard in their Artifact weapon.

If you look at MMO they have up galleries of most of the Artifact weapons now. That BM Rifle looks BAD Compaired to most every other one. You put it up beside some of them and you'd almost swear they're from different games.

if my weapon for the entire expansion sucks, because somone at blizzard wanted to devote manhours into 'comedic' gnome hunters and a few robo-pets I'm gonna be pretty angry.

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Slickrock wrote:
Wain wrote:There is no way they'd require a profession in order to tame an entire family of pets because it would have the effect of making that profession feel almost obligatory....
What about Archeology? Would be a nice benefit there, for those that put in the work.

The problem with the "obligatory" argument is that if you make everything accessible without effort, then the value is diminished. Same problem crafting professions have.. why put in the work if you have the gold handy?

I'll be willing to bet that the spirit moose from Arch in Legion will be sellable.. and that makes me sad.
To be honest I don't really see how making a profession feel almost obligatory equals effort? These days professions are a breeze to level and except for spending a few gold on mats or quickly running out to farm it takes very little "effort". While it wouldn't be the biggest deal, I just feel like making a profession required to even tame something sucks the fun out of the whole idea.

Besides, not everything in this game has to be "valuable". I like a good challenge and I don't mind dishing out gold for some things, but a fun pet family should be accessible to everyone or at least the majority of players. If that requires a small fee to an engineer to make that item that's fine. But no one should be forced to level engineering themself and I don't think the item should cost ridiculous prices.

Also why would the spirit moose end up as BoE? The bug isn't.

Edit:

I highly doubt that allowing gnomes to be hunters and making a certain family tamable ... Which probably took them very little time... has anything at all to do with us getting the short end of the stick in the artifact department. The two things are completely separate.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

SetsunaChan
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by SetsunaChan »

First just want to say the reason for gnome hunters is to finally even out the class/race combo for alliance. As of right now horde has 51 class/race combos while alliance sits at 50.

As for the mech pets I'm going to say the item is probably going to be the new direhorn book. Most likely crafted via engineering.