Bulvinkel laziness problems?

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Bulvinkel laziness problems?

Unread post by Wain »

Is it just me noticing this? Maybe I have something set wrong.

When I'm using Bulvinkel, I'll range attack some mob, and Bulvinkel will... often just stand there for a bit. Then he may eventually do the rear-up thing and then toddle along into combat.

Sometimes he and I are in melee with the mob and I'll be spamming Dire Frenzy yet it says he's out of range 3-4 times before it finally works.

He's specced Ferocity and and both Assist and Dash are switched ON. So it's not that.

I've tried a normal moose as a pet and it seems to be fine. My other pets seem to be fine. But Bulvinkel takes forever to get into combat and start chewing on things.

Also, I've noticed he's occasionally nowhere to be found, and seems to have lagged way behind me. So I'll go to fight and suddenly realize he's not only not in combat, but also nowhere near me. When it's happened I've wondered if it was a pet pathing issue, but maybe it's just him and linked to the thing above.

Or is it just me seeing this?
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: Bulvinkel laziness problems?

Unread post by Kalliope »

I remember seeing this behavior before on other pets. I don't remember if we ever found out what the problem was. :/

Sorry, that's not very helpful. Just that it's probably not due to anything you did.

Edit to clarify that I'm not in the beta and that these observations are from past experiences on the PTR.
Last edited by Kalliope on Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

I'm having the "stand and not attack" problem ever since Beta opened, and not just with Bulvinkel. I always run with Assist, Ferocity and Dash on auto and I have to manually command my pets to go into battle (they act like they are set to Defensive, but are clearly not).

So I don't know if it's Bulvinkel specifically. My Bulvinkel does it too, but again, all my pets do this including Hati @_@

As for the other problems, I've been having that issue off and on with all pets, not just Bulvinkel.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Oh ok. I'm afraid I'm not seeing this issue on the other pets I'm using commonly, but maybe I just haven't used the right ones.

The general pathing issue I am seeing on all pets, and seems to be a separate issue. It seems like pathing has changed in Legion and pets are getting stuck in more situations than on live. Hopefully that's resolved before launch!
lilaughingwolf
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Zul'gin

Unread post by lilaughingwolf »

I've also been having this with random pets in Beta too. I figured it was some sort of a glitch.
Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

Unread post by Bendak »

I've noticed some general lag with pets. I also noticed lately that there is a delay before they follow you, and then they wait til you stop moving for a few seconds before they line up beside you. Not sure if that is intentional. Couple of times when I had Bulvinkel as Hati, he pretty much tiptoed up to the target while my main pet ran at normal speed. It's so inconsistent that I assume it's a server problem.
Eyes of the Beast - My Hunter Blog
Jangalian
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Jangalian »

Same here, they actually respond faster in defensive but I eventually hotkey'ed his attack so when I use cobra shot it makes him attack also. Probably will get patched though.
( •_•) Many whelps!
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■) Handle it.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

I noticed this sort of thing in a few areas on live, actually. However, it was specific areas, rather than consistent.

As such, check *where* it is happening with the pets, and see if there is a common theme: phasing? A certain zone? Certain areas within the zone? Certain terrain? Certain atmospheric things?
Come see Kurasu's stables!
NazzyDragon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Emerald Dream (US)

Unread post by NazzyDragon »

My thunder lizard as survival also does this...

(Click image for Hunter!)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Nomsidious
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Nomsidious »

Wain wrote:Is it just me noticing this? Maybe I have something set wrong.

When I'm using Bulvinkel, I'll range attack some mob, and Bulvinkel will... often just stand there for a bit. Then he may eventually do the rear-up thing and then toddle along into combat.

Sometimes he and I are in melee with the mob and I'll be spamming Dire Frenzy yet it says he's out of range 3-4 times before it finally works.

He's specced Ferocity and and both Assist and Dash are switched ON. So it's not that.

I've tried a normal moose as a pet and it seems to be fine. My other pets seem to be fine. But Bulvinkel takes forever to get into combat and start chewing on things.

Also, I've noticed he's occasionally nowhere to be found, and seems to have lagged way behind me. So I'll go to fight and suddenly realize he's not only not in combat, but also nowhere near me. When it's happened I've wondered if it was a pet pathing issue, but maybe it's just him and linked to the thing above.

I had the same issue with other pets in Beta. After some digging,I found talk in forums about hunter pets not attacking at the start of a fight,even with Assist on. The way I solved this was by creating a Macro, I open with it and after that my pet stays on target.

/cast Cobra Shot
/petattack [harm]

This should solve your attack issues. Now your pets will still sometimes lag behind you questing or even in Beta dungeons. I have found nothing to fix that. Now,if we could get Blizzard to increase the stable size by a lot. lol

Happy Hunting everyone :D
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Nomsidious wrote:
Wain wrote:Is it just me noticing this? Maybe I have something set wrong.

I had the same issue with other pets in Beta. After some digging,I found talk in forums about hunter pets not attacking at the start of a fight,even with Assist on. The way I solved this was by creating a Macro, I open with it and after that my pet stays on target.

/cast Cobra Shot
/petattack [harm]

This should solve your attack issues. Now your pets will still sometimes lag behind you questing or even in Beta dungeons. I have found nothing to fix that. Now,if we could get Blizzard to increase the stable size by a lot. lol

Happy Hunting everyone :D
Aha! Thank you :)
SamS

Unread post by SamS »

In addition to the movement delays, I've also noticed that when attacking multiple mobs with Multi-Shot or Barrage that my pets no longer auto switch targets when one is dead. On live I can Multi-Shot into a crowd and when one is dead my pet will automatically switch to another one that I've tagged. On Beta when one is dead my pets starts running back to me while I'm trying to target the next one.
kanoku
Realm: Turalyon

Unread post by kanoku »

SamS wrote:In addition to the movement delays, I've also noticed that when attacking multiple mobs with Multi-Shot or Barrage that my pets no longer auto switch targets when one is dead. On live I can Multi-Shot into a crowd and when one is dead my pet will automatically switch to another one that I've tagged. On Beta when one is dead my pets starts running back to me while I'm trying to target the next one.

yea i noticed the same & reported it, really annoying & a dps loss i guess
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I thought that was the case on Live too. If I use barrage / multi, my pets will ignore the other mobs and won't switch until I hit them at least once as main target. :/
SamS

Unread post by SamS »

Wain wrote:I thought that was the case on Live too. If I use barrage / multi, my pets will ignore the other mobs and won't switch until I hit them at least once as main target. :/
I just tested this on live and pets are definitely switching targets on their own after an AOE attack.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

SamS wrote:
Wain wrote:I thought that was the case on Live too. If I use barrage / multi, my pets will ignore the other mobs and won't switch until I hit them at least once as main target. :/
I just tested this on live and pets are definitely switching targets on their own after an AOE attack.
Weird. Maybe it's just me :/
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

I just don't understand why such problems are now occurring with pet attacking/actions, they work just fine on live?
If they introduced a new system sure you would have to expect some teething problems, but (apart from the addition of Hati, which technically belongs to the gun anyways) has there been any mention of new coding/additional things/system added to pets that could be responsible? Other wise I'm at a loss to why :|

As yeah we can weave in workarounds like macros and such to try and make it work, but they already work fine on live and seems backwards to have to try and add additional workarounds just to get back our current pet functionality.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Who knows? It feels like they looked at years of spaghetti code and thought "we can do better if we rewrite this and streamline it" and therefore missed all the wisdom of years of additions to cover problems and special cases. And doing this to all specs of all classes at once means they simply don't have time to do them all well.

They still have a bit of time to fix things properly before launch, but it's getting very late now.

I fear it's like the home renovator who gleefully tears down all the plaster and bricks at once - the easy and fun part - but doesn't have the time and resources to finish the job before the rain hits. I'm worried that Beast Mastery is going to be that spec that has plastic sheeting where walls should be. :P
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I just moved a bunch of posts from here to the BM grumbling thread, since it was getting more and more off-topic ;)
http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic ... 8&start=60

My fault, I started referring to this issue in context of all the other problems with BM and that opened the gates for people to discuss those problems here.