Tome of Dinomancy: Extended Cut

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.

Include what dinosaurs?

Pterrorwings
76%
Diemetradons
14%
Stegodons
No votes
And other dinosaurs that could be introduced?
10%

Total votes: 29

Takanuka
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

Tome of Dinomancy: Extended Cut

Unread post by Takanuka »

Putting the Stegodons in their own family with the chain lightning breath? With shit hating the fan maybe the Zandalari may lend a helping hand? Since the ones that didn't side with the prophet Zul may want to help? The Zandalari or maybe even during out venture to the Broken Isles Inscriptionists could find lost tomes from Zandalar drifting at sea one that teaches a extended version? And they can learn and craft a extended version for more dinosaurs like pterrorwings and diemetradons?
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Re: Tome of Dinomancy: Extended Cut

Unread post by Quiv »

Pterrowings/Skyscreamers for me pls

I imagine it'll have to "make sense" for the current story for this to expand but I'd love to see more dino love!
Araucaria
Realm: Ghostlands

Unread post by Araucaria »

Skyscreamers would be great, even if they only kept their ground or flying animation. If rylaks are a tamable, why not add Skyscreamers to our stables?
Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

Unread post by Bendak »

I feel like pterrorwings/skyscreamers are inevitable. May have to wait for another expansion though.
Eyes of the Beast - My Hunter Blog
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Wheres the "All of the above" option? :D :mrgreen:

Zulmalakhan
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Defias Brotherhood

Unread post by Zulmalakhan »

Skyscreamers :D, also other dinos if they would add a frilled dilophosaurus with extra spikes on his crests and lower part of the frill :D
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Neither Petrosaurs and Diemtradons can be classified as Dinosaurs.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

However they ARE beasts and thats all that matters :D
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

It is a possibility for the future. Maybe a patch or xpac. :)
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

My prediction (well over 50% wishful thinking) is that the middle content patch will include a prehistoric island or giant crater or something. It will have those feathered/scaled terror birds (as tall striders), trolls and lau (including whomever Voljin is trying to recruit), a jungle gnome tribe (with voodoo priests and head hunters), giant gorillas with a new model, and dinomancy: pterrorwings/skyscreamers.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

If they go with Pterrorwings I think they really need to fix the run thing first. Like rylaks they "run" by hopping along the ground, when they should switch to flying mode at that point. It currently looks absurd.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

It would actually make sense for them to walk using their legs and the ends of their wings. RL Pterosaurs, as proven via fossil track ways, walked on all fours and were competent walkers and runners. However, when it came down to a fight against another dinosaur (velociraptor, for example), they just didn't have the offensive and defensive capabilities to win. Obviously, the Skyscreamers are much bigger and deadlier than Pterosaurs, but I wouldn't bind if they walked on all fours like their RL inspiration :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Valnaaros wrote:It would actually make sense for them to walk using their legs and the ends of their wings. RL Pterosaurs, as proven via fossil track ways, walked on all fours and were competent walkers and runners. However, when it came down to a fight against another dinosaur (velociraptor, for example), they just didn't have the offensive and defensive capabilities to win. Obviously, the Skyscreamers are much bigger and deadlier than Pterosaurs, but I wouldn't bind if they walked on all fours like their RL inspiration :)
Yeah but I'm not talking about walking, it's when they run :)

They look fine walking along on their pinions. But at running speed they look like a crack user on crutches.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Currently, the Skyscreamers only run on their hind legs. With some alterations, they could either make that look better or make them run on all fours.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Wain wrote: They look fine walking along on their pinions. But at running speed they look like a crack user on crutches
:lol:

From memory they used the Protodrake running animation?

OT ~ Maybe I'm reading the Topic wrong (Include what Dinosaurs?), but it could be a little tricky to just add more models to the Tome of Dinomancy, simply because if you deviate from just the Dire horns to other Dinos, especially to such a different type such as Skyscremers, then you'd have to think... then why would this group not include, Devilsaurs, and Raptors, and... etc.

Now if they introduced a Tome that was an additional one, like a Tome of Pteromancy, now that would work just awesome. They could put the pterrordax and Skyscreamers in no problemo. I'm not sure what animations are specifically missing for either of these to be introduced, but both would be great.

I really liked the idea of Tomes and slowly introducing families that become "Discovered" as you discover new lands/areas. I know Blizzard feels compelled to have a certain amount of new Families for each expansion, but if they held off at the start and only made 2 available that would be fine imo (We are up to 52! families now) They are always going to make new beasts that will fit in existing families and thats totally fine. That way they could always add extra families later on down the track?

Or the other way could be to introduce tomes that then allow access to a particular model type that then fits into a current family?
Maybe there is a new Earthen Faction, and they introduce a new Shale Spider model. But you have to get revered with them before you can discover the secrets of taming them?
Or maybe add in a ravenspeaker arakkoa artifact that you can discover/complete via archeology? It could be potentially traded too? And once you read/study you could learn to tame dread raven models as apart of the Birds of Prey Family?
Etc, etc, etc.

I think the Pterrordax and Skyscreamers really should be a priority somehow though, people have wanted and loved those ever since they appeared in game :)

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
13thmaiden
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by 13thmaiden »

^ I was thinking they would just add another tome to allow you to tame Pterrorwings, not add on to the original tome, that would be way too much work on coding to do that.
Nazja
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Nazja »

Although they're not really dinosaurs, I voted for pterrorwings. Mostly because they've got the newest models and because stegodons/thunder lizards/salamanders are actually relatives of the kodo, so it makes sense for them to be in the same family.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Xota »

Wain wrote:If they go with Pterrorwings I think they really need to fix the run thing first. Like rylaks they "run" by hopping along the ground, when they should switch to flying mode at that point. It currently looks absurd.
I think this should happen for a lot of different models of pets and minipets. Walk is fine for when you're walking, idling, or sometimes even fighting; but some of them start looking bad at running speed, and some of them start looking bad when you're running at mount speed or flying. With flying animations, they don't have to be synced with how fast the ground speed is. (the same goes for swimming animations).
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Quiv wrote:However they ARE beasts and thats all that matters :D
Oh, by right they should not need dinomancy tome then
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Xota »

They're dino-maurs. It's like dinosaurs, but maur.