Last And First Thing On Pre-Patch Day Plans?

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Re: Last And First Thing On Pre-Patch Day Plans?

Unread post by Quiv »

zedxrgal wrote:I've changed my mind!
I must follow the crowd and lemming up and move all my girls out of their garrisons, major cities etc.

Aren't we getting one new character slot too?
Yes we get one new slot! :D

Also why is everyone moving out of cities and garrisons? I feel I missed something.
Magnakilro
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Eonar

Unread post by Magnakilro »

Quiv wrote:
zedxrgal wrote:I've changed my mind!
I must follow the crowd and lemming up and move all my girls out of their garrisons, major cities etc.

Aren't we getting one new character slot too?
Yes we get one new slot! :D

Also why is everyone moving out of cities and garrisons? I feel I missed something.
To avoid the thick wall of lag of everyone logging in at once on patch day/xpac launch I think, since most ppl will be in those areas
Avatar made by the awesome Senna-umbreon
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Oooh good point. I'm already hitting queues on my server in the last week or so, an influx of pre-xpac people would be expected to cause even more lag.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Are Garrisons affected by that sort of lag, being that they're individually phased?
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Since they're individually phased, I would think not. The lag in the capitals in due to a bunch of people in the same phase logging in at, generally, the same time.
Nimrod
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU - Ghostlands

Unread post by Nimrod »

The problem is they're still on the same server hardware. Too many people trying to log into Garrisons at once can quite easily destabilise it.

All my characters have their hearthstones set to Shrine, so I'll likely just hit hearth before patch day.

Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

From what I remember at the start of WoD, the garrisons (while individually phased) are all on the same server, so if too many people try to log in their garrison at the same time, the server will crash. I know they made some fixes to it since WAY too many people where just stuck in limbo trying to enter their garrison, but the start of an expansion might bring back the problem.
ImageImage
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Vephriel wrote:Are Garrisons affected by that sort of lag, being that they're individually phased?
Considering they have their own 'world server', and that 'world server' crashing brings down all garrisons (it's what happened in the opening; anyone but me remember that for weeks?), yes. They're affected by lag *and* crashing. So's Stormwind; on the PTR, it keeps going down due to the mass of people, so I don't want to take the chance. I remember it was lagged to hell on Cata because of all the people getting flying (I bought it in Netherstorm instead).

As for the crates, I have a crapload of them as well. I will be opening them when I'm sure that garrison servers aren't going to be so completely swamped that they're going to be continuously crashing for days on end with everyone else trying to do the same thing, though. ;)
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Ickabob
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Ickabob »

My patch day priorities:

- Give my main a sexy new transmog and matching haircut/recolor.
- Tame a Thunderlizard/Stegodon, preferably the rare one from Southern Barrens.
- Tame Sarinexx.
- Clean my bags, Bank, and Void Storage out on my main.
- Set up my main's Action Bars, Macros, and Addons.
- Do the Demon Invasion events a few times.
- Empty alts bags, Banks, and Void Storage.
- Give alts new transmogs.
- Run HFC with the guild to better see the new class changes and how bad my DPS is.
- Empty my bank alt's Guild Vault and divide the BoEs among my toons for transmog.
- Open my 1000+ Crates of Salvage and divide items among my characters for transmog.
- Do some BGs for kicks and giggles. Also to earn Marks of Honor for some new Transmogs.
- Lots and lots of transmog runs!
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

I would definitely recommend getting out of the garrison if at all possible; not only are they subject to the same lag that Stormshield and Stormwind/Orgrimmar are going to experience, the phasing of them makes them an instance. Enough people logging on combined with potentially unstable post-upgrade server hardware means that "Instance Not Found" is very likely to be the refrain of the day, which means that you're going to go through two loading screens plus a pause (the garrison loading screen, a pause while the game realizes it can't put you there, and another loading screen while it ports you). I know the tech and the behind-the-scenes of the garrisons have improved since the start of WoD but it's still super obnoxious. Me? I'm gonna put all my alts in Exodar/Silvermoon, Shattrath, Dalaran, or Shrine if they aren't there already. It's too bad all of those areas are CRZ-town nowadays, but they should still be calmer than Eastern Kingdoms, Kalimdor, and Draenor. Darnassus might also be an okay city for my primary server, since we're heavily Alliance-dominated (but again, CRZ so that's harder to predict).

The day/night before the 7.0 patch itself drops I'm going to go through all 50 characters (god, why am I character capped) with an emphasis on the... 30? level 100s (GOD WHY DO I HAVE SO MANY LEVEL CAPPED CHARACTERS oh right for the stupid love rocket s i g h). The vast majority of them have a Dwarven Bunker/Warmill and a Salvage Yard at least at level 2 (most have level 3 but the eight alts that hit 100 after the end of April didn't get their garrisons upgraded to level 3 because I wasn't certain I could make the 5k+ costs of level 3 garrison+buildings back before the prepatch hit and all the gold from garrisons gets so severely hit). Any Salvage Yard boxes and bags that haven't been opened GET opened.

Any transmog from the boxes that I don't have that can be used on characters on that server gets soulbound (I've been using Legion Wardrobe and MogIt for this), any transmog that's potentially "worth something" (anything especially pretty or unique looks that can't be obtained from quests or more than three other sources) gets held onto and/or posted directly to the AH (depending on time constraints), everything else gets vendored or disenchanted.

All Iron Horde Scraps get turned into the daily Scrap->Weapon token, Orgrimmar Axes, Stormwind Shields (and then mailed to a Horde character to turn into Axes), and anything that can be afforded (Thunderlord Sabatons on Alliance, mostly doesn't matter Hordeside), in that order. All those pieces and all remaining follower ilvl upgrades get vendored, as ALL those things are losing the vast majority (or all) of their vendor value in the patch. Any remaining scraps get used on subsequent dailies if the character's bunker/mill is level 3 (you still get like 15.4g from turning in the quest on PTR and beta, and like 3% of level 100 on beta lol), and discarded otherwise.

All missions (naval and follower) get collected, but none get sent back out as even 100% success chance missions that are in-progress when a character is copied over are failing on PTR/beta right now so it's just a waste of resources/oil. That may be fixed (though I suspect it's low priority) or it may be a pure character copy issue, I dunno. The exception will be if someone procs a Blingtron's Vault just to spite me in case the issue gets fixed AND in-progress missions don't get their resources changed. I'm pretty sure that's gonna happen cos I haven't seen one across 35ish characters with garrisons in months.

All Garrison Resources get spent unless I can think of a specific need for them. If I've got professions still in progress, resources will go to mats for that, but otherwise they'll be spent on the sacks of gold at the trading post. It's probably not the most potentially lucrative course but it's more consistent than trying to sell Draenor profession mats in an environment where they will probably be in glut (much as Pandaria ones were when 6.0 dropped), and the gold sacks will be removed in 7.0.

On servers where characters are getting deleted once all their potential transmog gets put into my wardrobe and there aren't any additional characters on that server or their faction, any remaining gold is spent on the AH or on vendors for looks I still don't have. If time permits (and I may end up doing this a few days in advance instead of the day before to make sure time permits), I'll sit around on them for two hours to run out the buyback timer, as there has been talk of stuff not getting added to the appearance collection 'til it's well and truly soulbound to you. That's not how it's working on beta right now (at least according to the chatlog), but better safe than sorry. Likewise, any characters with enough honor or conquest to buy ANYTHING moggable will, because that's less pvp tokens or whatever I have to grudgingly collect later on and I'd rather have a piece of transmog than the 35s/point that the honor conversion grants.

All my shirts find their final homes. Whether that'll be my rogue (where they're being stored now) or one of my old mains or just scattered around, I'm not sure yet, but the shirts won't ever be deleted even if they are account-wide. They're too important. So I gotta figure out where I want them once they end up soulbound, lol.

Then all characters are taken to a "safe" location. It's a bit of a shame that all the places with void storage access are likely to be super crowded (Shrine will probably be the most stable but even that's gonna have a lot of folks I think. Stormwind/Orgrimmar may be okay depending on server population since those aren't CRZ'd), but a lot of my characters don't have void storage and I'm reasonably sure that items in void storage are automatically added to the appearance collection (though that's one of the things I didn't actually specifically test and now I'm not sure what I could test it WITH). Actual location per alt doesn't super matter as I have the Grand Expedition Yak so proximity to a transmogrifier (to turn off helms and cloaks since the hiding of those is temporarily stripped and also some alts are using transmog that's gonna get turned into mail or plate and will need to be re-mogged with the leather/mail versions of those looks) is not super important. The exceptions are going to be my main, who will be in Stormshield to purchase the CM weapon account-wide token (though I may play it safe and put her somewhere safe and just wait on that, we'll see), and my paladin, who will fly out to the Veiled Stair to prepare to pick up the two legendary cloak looks I no longer have in any of my bags (tank and healing). She could technically pick them up prior to 7.0 since the epic cloak does appear to be rewarded retroactively since they were quest rewards (while the legendary is crafted), but... I dunno. That's another one that will depend on how I feel at the time, haha.

After that, make a backup of my WTF and Interface folders and download any necessary addons that have a Legion update available already (some already do as they're both beta/ptr and live-compatible and are in double development). Remove any addons that don't have an update available AND are non-vital, make note of both those and the ones without an update that ARE vital, and do any necessary set-up on new or existing addons (something to shrink the Order Hall "TitanBar" is looking like the most vital but that doesn't have to happen for 7.0 proper). Once we get a drop date for the prepatch I'll start seriously looking into 7.0 addons and preparing for the drop, including figuring out what sort of weakauras I need to set up for 7.0 MM and either BM or whatever I've decided on for my proper Legion main (raid composition permitting, since I still don't know and thus haven't sent Naha a PM about it and am probably pretty far back in the queue).

Then head to the guild website and update our recruitment widget to include Demon Hunters and Survival under "melee dps," activate the "Demon Hunter" class group for our forum class colouring, edit the Tank Discussion forum's text to indicate there are now five tanking specs, and then wonder why I didn't do the non-widget stuff sooner. Maybe I should do that now, actually lol

On the day of the patch itself, log onto each alt in turn, backwards from my main (as my main is using transmog that's getting turned into plate in five of her nine transmoggable slots and will need my others alts to provide the BoE versions so I can re-transmog it), turning off or re-updating addons as indicated by any LUA errors that might be spit in my face. At least two alts who are slated for deletion will be deleted to make room for two Demon Hunters (Alliance and Horde), though the others can wait a bit to be sure the wardrobe doesn't get reset the way the pet collection did (I still don't have a Spirit of Competition because it got eaten in that fiasco and I couldn't get it restored ;_;). Characters that desperately need bag space can delete some of their (non-essential) transmog but a lot of that can wait for later, less hectic days. Use any upgrade items for Draenor profession items on them to gain the additional skins assuming that's been fixed by the time 7.0 drops.

As I hit Scarlet Crusade and Korgath, open a second copy of WoW to delete the placeholder characters on my RAF account that have been holding my preferred names and create the characters on those servers—Demon Hunters if the pre-order DH bonus happens at patch drop, new placeholder level 1s if not (so I don't have to worry about the RAF account anymore). If for some reason the two names don't work out (get sniped or are still locked to the RAF account or whatever), this step can be skipped 'til I figure out different names.

Pick up the Legendary Cloaks on my paladin and the CM gold weapon token on my hunter. Then, get my hunter somewhere safer than Stormshield to set up any additional addon shenanigans she needs to deal with and re-practice the 7.0 MM garbage until raid time.

Speaking of raid time, all this patch day planning goes horribly awry if servers don't come up til like, 4:30 PDT (or later) because raid starts at 5. If time is running short, all the rest of the horsing around has to be put on hold in favour of prepping my main for raid. If time is REALLY short, I may even have to use a different transmog 'til I can get my Soldier's set back D:

If raid goes well(-ish, and a lot of that is dependent on how much prep the rest of the raid has done as well as whether our raid comp and strat can even work on mythic Archimonde anymore) and I haven't been up all night/day I can finish anything I ran out of time for pre-raid and possibly look into invasions, if there's something there interesting. To be honest, I haven't looked into invasions at all so I'm not sure how that's gonna work out or if I have to prioritize it (time-sensitive transmog a la the teal Judgement) vs finishing quest transmog or running old raid instances or actually doing non-WoW things or whatever.
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Ickabob
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Ickabob »

Damn, that's one detailed plan. You didn't leave anything up to question.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Oh I forgot about addons. I'll have to strip out the ones I don't use anymore, download updates, code and upload updates to a couple, and see if I can fudge the ones that aren't updated yet.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

I, uh... tend to overthink things. And then babble about it. I'm positive there's stuff I've forgotten, though hopefully I'll remember before the day of lol

Addons are gonna be the worst part, I think (they usually are). Actual patching has gone reasonably well for the most part in the past couple expansions, though there are the occasional "oops it's 8pm and servers have been down since 3am" maintenances still. Most addon authors at least have a beta build ready prior to an actual major patch drop, though they can be marginally harder to track down and a bit chancy since there's no guarantee they're actually complete and mostly bug-free.
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Bambu
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo/Eitrigg

Unread post by Bambu »

I think I'll park my Tauren Hunter in Southern Barrens for Thunderstomp and Arra'chea (who's just a little ways off) and my Goblin in Ironwing Cavern for when the patch hits. Not playing on either of them until then anyhow.
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Might race change my main to a Gob, a male Gob, kinda a big thing for me as she has always been female. Everyone thinks I should change her to the "Master Race" for raiding (Master Race being Blood Elf, AoE silence). If I did that she would again be male as I can't stand how spindly the females are. So I'm a bit torn. :| :mrgreen:

Helsinki
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Dalaran - US

Unread post by Helsinki »

Rawr wrote:Might race change my main to a Gob, a male Gob, kinda a big thing for me as she has always been female. Everyone thinks I should change her to the "Master Race" for raiding (Master Race being Blood Elf, AoE silence). If I did that she would again be male as I can't stand how spindly the females are. So I'm a bit torn. :| :mrgreen:
Mechanicals are so much more fun than I imagined, and I love goblins anyway. Rocket jump is amazing! I vote gob for sure.
Sarynotsorry - Dalaran
Helgada - Nesingwary
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

I'm debating race changing to gob myself. Animations and utility are the most important thing to me.
Ickabob
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Ickabob »

I just remembered that I need to clean out my stables to make room for the new pets I plan to tame.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

With how many garrison lockups as are happening with just Squirt + Pet Weekend on the EU servers, I'm *definitely* suspecting that having a start outside of a garrison is something to consider.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

SOOOOOOON. There's a Patch Is Coming alert on the official forums so I'm betting it drops next week.

...And apparently there's a shizbucket of stuff to farm, like a pet, weapons, mog gear...

Thankfully we've got a month and a half to do it...

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket