The amount of people race changing Goblin/Gnome...

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Torachi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg, Ysera, Wyrmrest Accord

Re: The amount of people race changing Goblin/Gnome...

Unread post by Torachi »

Valnaaros wrote:Understandable, but still the method of earning tons of gold has been available since the Treasure Hunting perk was added in 6.1. Blizz themselves have commented on this many times - talking about how they wish they never made so much gold available via a few pushes of a button (assuming you've built up your Garrison), and how they're going to make many, many gold sinks in Legion to drain that gold. The hundreds of thousands I've earned is nothing compared to what others have earned. There are those whom have made MILLIONS of gold off of the Garrison.

Because of this, Blizz is adding things like the Curious Coin vendor, the 2 million gold mount, the 1 million gold pet, etc etc.
Don't forget that they're also increasing the gold cap, too. :lol:

Personally, I never make more than 500-1000 gold per week from my garrison. While I was excited by the aspect of it before WoD went live, as soon as I actually got into it and started building it up, I quickly began to hate it, and just said 'heck with it' after a few months. My income is primarily from transmog sales and 25H Cata raids. Thing is, on my server at least, I'm not the only one who frankly hates the garrison, and I don't feel it's necessarily right to punish those who didn't 'take advantage' of it's gold-making ability. That's like punishing those who prefer PvP over PvE and vice versa.

I also can't really justify spending 100k gold on one item that lets me tame mechanical pets. They're cool and all, I do want certain ones (CHICKEN!), but I'm not that particularly nuts over them. XD

GM of <Darkness Dawning>
Casual Gaming - LGBT Friendly - Furry Friendly
VICTORY!
(Signature made by me)

mpd_84
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by mpd_84 »

I was sick of my garrison within the first 5 minutes. Good thing the hunter alt I'm leveling has engineering/skinning, I guess.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Whilst many hated them, those same people toughed it out for the gold earnings. I myself earn a few thousand a week PER character. I have ~12 100s, so that very quickly adds up. Not only that, but selling the extra Follower gear that the bunker makes earns be a good amount. I'm not a huge fan of the Garrisons, but it cannot be denied how much gold they produce when utilized properly.
Torachi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg, Ysera, Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Torachi »

Not the people I've seen. Most log on long enough to do weekly raids, and then log off for the rest of the week. Some might do their weekly mount farms before they log, but the majority have abandoned their own garrisons, and some even the game itself until Legion comes out and they don't have to deal with the garrison ever again. Whether it's the mindless monotony, the lack of interaction with other players, or just plain dislike for the whole garrison idea in the first place, there's a hefty amount of players who do not use them anymore, period. The draw of making gold isn't enough to them. You might like it, you might benefit from it, but not everyone is like you.

Regardless, there is no reason to essentially punish those who didn't use the garrison, be it on their own will or not.

GM of <Darkness Dawning>
Casual Gaming - LGBT Friendly - Furry Friendly
VICTORY!
(Signature made by me)

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I'm not saying that everyone uses the Garrison to the extent I do, but apparently more than enough do for Blizz to have mentioned it directly. A few weeks ago, I believe in the first Q and A, or sometime around that, Blizz said that the reason there are so many things in Legion that cost high gold (such as those I mentioned) is due to the Garrisons. Whilst you did not use it, and your friends did not, does not mean that most people haven't. If it was a minority, then I highly doubt Blizz would've brought attention to it multiple times.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I have done the garrison missions at least a couple of times a day on 3 toons for most of the expansion. It really only takes a few mins, and if you have the inn and pick only followers with the gold bonus you can make quite a lot. But the point is mostly moot as I think they're gimping that in Legion. Two weeks ago I decided to stop doing missions cold turkey as I had enough to worry about :P Plus I looked at how many followers it was possible to collect and realized I'd be running it for years more if I was going to collect them all and decided to stop being crazy-obsessive and just stop ;)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Precisely, it really doesn't take long at all. If you have a Garrison helper addon, it goes even faster. :)

Not exactly moot. I mean, the Garrisons will become near-useless in Legion, since they are removing the gold rewards, cutting pet charms in half, etc. But for now, it is still useful and can still earn gold up until the Pre-Launch Patch. Is that gold that people have been earning for a year and a half that has made Blizz decide to add plenty of gold sinks in Legion.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Wain wrote:...
Plus I looked at how many followers it was possible to collect and realized I'd be running it for years more if I was going to collect them all and decided to stop being crazy-obsessive and just stop ;)
I'm still trying to get all gnome followers (plus robots). I'm at about a 20% and 25% chance to get a gnome when I visit the recruiter, with 8 left and 10+1 left, on my two gnomes. If they don't make recruitment daily instead of weekly, I'll probably never finish.

My understanding is that the gold inflation because of garrisons is permanent, even if garrison gold isn't. So people who haven't stocked up on gold in WoD will only be a little behind, instead of unreachably behind. I wouldn't panic about the curious coins either, if they end up being too rare at release, I'm sure their rate would be increased. Curious coins are also spent to buy relic patterns, and relics have real game utility, they're not just vanity items.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

That's my feeling too, Xota. Maybe they'll let them be rare for a little while so that gnomes and goblins have something unique for a while, but I would be shocked if they didn't increase the drop chance for the curious coin at some point down the road. I wouldn't sweat it too much just yet.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Well my gnome will be an engineer. My gobbie is already an engineer so hopefully that may give me a leg up on things. :lol:
Shoot that may be my ticket to actually making some money come legion. *snerk*

Thought I do hope the curious coin becomes a little less rare after a few months because the RNG gods hate me. :lol:

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Xota wrote:
Wain wrote:...
Plus I looked at how many followers it was possible to collect and realized I'd be running it for years more if I was going to collect them all and decided to stop being crazy-obsessive and just stop ;)
I'm still trying to get all gnome followers (plus robots). I'm at about a 20% and 25% chance to get a gnome when I visit the recruiter, with 8 left and 10+1 left, on my two gnomes. If they don't make recruitment daily instead of weekly, I'll probably never finish.

My understanding is that the gold inflation because of garrisons is permanent, even if garrison gold isn't. So people who haven't stocked up on gold in WoD will only be a little behind, instead of unreachably behind. I wouldn't panic about the curious coins either, if they end up being too rare at release, I'm sure their rate would be increased. Curious coins are also spent to buy relic patterns, and relics have real game utility, they're not just vanity items.
Which is part of the problem.

Another thing that the mech taming item has to compete with.

They're essentially punishing Horde hunters for rolling non-Goblin, and punishing Alliance hunters for rolling a hunter pre-7.0.

Some of us actually want a Mechanical Squirrel and not want to pay out the wazoo for it. And you can say, "Oh, but it's just cosmetic. Well, then why have any pet species at all? Why not remove all hunter pets and only let each race have a single pet? Exactly. To let us have a choice. That's the entire reason a site like petopia exists.
Zalani
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring, Arathor, Moon Guard(US)

Unread post by Zalani »

Personally I find it a waste of money since i'm an engineer and was already planing on going after it for myself and too possibly sell some. I can see why some would do it but y'know.

I'm also once of those people who didn't make much from the Garrison lol. WoD lost my interest after like 4 months and I really didn't feel like playing the Garrison simulator. I actually made more from tmog farming since MGs good for selling pieces. I also only have like 4 toons at most compared to other peoples full realm lists of alts.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

The relics that the vendor sells aren't engineering recipes, so unless you are a double crafter (which has a lot of cons this xpac) you have no competition, which I stated earlier.

As for saying they are punishing those whom didn't roll a Goblin or rolled a hunter pre 7.0, I would say that is ridiculous. It's not like Blizz has been planning Mechs for a long time or that Mechs have some sort of gameplay ramifications outside of cosmetic.

If someone really wants it, they can either spend rl money to get it, spend the gold on it (which is not hard to get in Legion. You have to actually try NOT to get it), or be an engineer and make it themselves. If you want choices, that is basically all of them. Blizz isn't going to change it so that some vendor just sells the matrix for cheap, otherwise it dilutes gnome's and goblin's ability to tame them.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Valnaaros wrote:The relics that the vendor sells aren't engineering recipes, so unless you are a double crafter (which has a lot of cons this xpac) you have no competition, which I stated earlier.

As for saying they are punishing those whom didn't roll a Goblin or rolled a hunter pre 7.0, I would say that is ridiculous. It's not like Blizz has been planning Mechs for a long time or that Mechs have some sort of gameplay ramifications outside of cosmetic.

If someone really wants it, they can either spend rl money to get it, spend the gold on it (which is not hard to get in Legion. You have to actually try NOT to get it), or be an engineer and make it themselves. If you want choices, that is basically all of them. Blizz isn't going to change it so that some vendor just sells the matrix for cheap, otherwise it dilutes gnome's and goblin's ability to tame them.
An ability that was introduced after the fact.

And why should only goblins and gnomes have that ability?

Engineers should also have that ability baseline. Goblins and Gnomes having it as a racial makes zero sense, to be quite honest. It makes more sense to be a perk of an engineer, not as a racial perk.

And saying "spend real money on it" is not an acceptable response.
cerpin
Realm: moonguard

Unread post by cerpin »

I think it actually makes a lot of sense for goblins and gnomes to have that as a racial - I mean, engineering comes in two forms, goblin and gnomish engineering...their racial lore is deeply steeped in their love and affinity for technology, so to say it makes zero sense is a bit of a stretch.

I plan on race-changing, but only because I want to play a gnome hunter, not just to tame mechanical pets. People might think it's a waste of money, but I've race-changed characters before based on my desires for what I end up wanting to play, so that's fine.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Precisely, Cerpin. It makes perfect sense for Gnomes and Gblins to. What doesn't make sense is for it to be baseline for Engineers. That just means that you can swap to Engineer, and you can immediately get any Mech you want. What kind of reward is that? And again, it takes away from Gnomes ans Goblins.

As for RL money, it is a very acceptable answer. You said there should be choices, and that is one. It may not be one you like, but it is a choice - much like all the others I listed. If it was the only choice, then there would be an issue. But it isn't.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I tame pets based on my toons' rp background stories, so I think mech pet only suits Gnomes, Goblin and to some extent Dwarves. Thus, I wouldn't be bothered with mech pets on my Blood Elf hunter who is a Farstrider, but I would get the item for my Orc since he was part of Korkron but then realized that Garrosh was in the wrong.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I tame pets based on my toons' rp background stories, so I think mech pet only suits Gnomes, Goblin and to some extent Dwarves. Thus, I wouldn't be bothered with mech pets on my Blood Elf hunter who is a Farstrider, but I would get the item for my Orc since he was part of Korkron but then realized that Garrosh was in the wrong.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Same here. My Draenei will never tame a mech (unless there are Draenei-themed mechs in the future), but my gnome will. There are no other races that have the technologial background that gnomes and goblins have.
Even everything the dwarves have was give to them by the gnomes. And with orcs, it has been stated a few times in lore that they don't have the mental capacity for technological innovation. Similar to dwarves, the goblins gave the orcs their technology.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I wouldn't race change for it. I'm certainly going to make a gnome, and maybe a goblin. But none of my hunters want to be anything other than what they are and mechanical pets would not fit with any of them. Besides, I don't have an engineer, so this would be the perfect time to make one. And a fresh alt never hurt anyone. Just ask all 17 of mine :D