The amount of people race changing Goblin/Gnome...

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

The amount of people race changing Goblin/Gnome...

Unread post by Maizou »

Does Blizzard not see an issue with this?

I've had quite a few friends already race change to Goblin and I have quite a few planning to change to gnome once 7.0 hits. For some of them, once they tame all the mechanical pets they want, they plan to race change back.

All because learning to tame mechanical pets is so hard as a non-gnome/goblin. First, it requires a hard to obtain currency just to buy the recipe as an Engineer, then you have to opt to spend the materials which are also used on artifact progression, crafted gear, etc. on the actual item instead.

This isn't like the Certificate of Ownership. This will be something that competes with legitimate progression items. High level progression items and even artifact weapon progression.

When I first heard mechanical pets would require an engineer crafted item, I was excited. I figured, awesome, maybe it'll be like an item from a rare spawn a hunter has to track that then drops the recipe for everyone that participates in the kill. (as in only a hunter can see the tracks like the pandaria rares, then they have to flare it out like pandaria rares, only make it so the monster is stunned for like 15-20 sec or so after getting flared out and can't be damaged, so anyone nearby has a chance to get to it, and anyone who touches it in that stunned time gets a tag, so it's not burned immediately)

Then have the materials be something basic, not competing with progression crafted gear/artifacts. :/ Have the fun part be getting the recipe.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: The amount of people race changing Goblin/Gnome...

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Gobs and Gnomes being able to tame Mechanicals inherently is just a bonus to being those two races. If it was easy to be able to gain the ability to tame Mechanicals on other races, it would take away from the benefit of being a Gnome or Goblin. By making it harder to obtain for other races, it makes it a well-earned reward. Further, Blood of Sargeras is not terribly difficult to get. You primarily get it from Gathering, but it also can be earned from dungeons, raids, bgs, etc.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

If people are willing to plunk down real money to race change just to tame pets, that's their business. Personally I think it's silly since they're functionally no different than other pets.

However, I understand what you're saying. It seems they've made it SUCH a chore that some people would rather pay real money to circumvent the issue.

.....*gasp* Maybe that's what they want! :lol: I kid, I kid.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I wonder if its partly due to the effort/luck required to get the mech taming item or how long it'll be before they even get a chance to do it in game. I've considered race changing, but $25 is a lot to plop down just to tame mechs.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

I know one of my guild's hunters is planning to go gnome, but I think he's also planning on staying. Personally, if I was gonna pay to race change I'd go back to NE (since the new models didn't get my human's skin tone right, and you can't use the barber shop to change skin colour on non-furry races. So sad, both my hunter and druid only need to go down/up one number in character creation to be right again :\)

Then again, I'm also willing to wait to be able to tame mechanicals as I've got my sporebat and my dustwallow ghost wolf on my main hunter and none of the new mech pets really jive with any of the 4-5 hunters I've got scattered around so it's kind of a moot point in my case. Sooner or later one of my engineers will level to 110 and can make the item for me, if it hasn't gotten super cheap by then.
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

If it's for a 2-3 month headstart on taming mechs, then I think they're wasting their money. But it's theirs to waste. Mechanical pets aren't an in-game advantage. And it's not 'cheating' engineers out of their gold any more than store mounts cheat mount crafters out of their gold. I expect the amount of people race changing and then back again won't be that large.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Agree with the others that I don't think there'll be a mass influx of race changes come Legion /pre-launch to be honest. I wouldn't do it either because to me I personally see it as a large waste of $25. If you think about it it will actually be more.
$25 to become a gnome /goblin
*tame tame tame*
$25 to go back to the race you originally were.

That's $50! There's so many more things I'd rather do with $50 than race change a toon.

But if that's what makes another player happy then more power to them. :)

I don't think it will be enough to make Blizzard take notice and think "Hhhmmmm maybe we should make this easier". Like Rhyela said. They wanna make that money. I love you Blizzard but it's true

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Tammo
Realm: Blade's-Edge EU

Unread post by Tammo »

I went on ptr, racechanged my hunter when possible to gnome/goblin and tamed allot of mechs there. So in a sense ive tamed them the new and fresh is off and I dont mind waiting for couple of months. Nothing special about the mech besides looks, and they cant beat the new bears in my opinion.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I admit I'm fairly disappointed with the apparent rarity of the recipe. I haven't heard of a single coin dropping so far from anyone I know. Has anyone here obtained one personally? If you look at the recipes the vendor sells, there's no parity between them - the recipes for each profession vary greatly in type of function and degree of importance. It's pretty obvious there wasn't much design here and the vendor thing was just put together after the fact. It's odd.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I haven't seen any nor have really heard of many getting a coin.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

And don't forget those that will sell these for billions of gold.
Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

Unread post by Bendak »

I did a lot of world quests on the beta and I never saw a Curious Coin.

Wouldn't be surprised for the first ones to sell for 100k+. Especially with everyone being gold rich from WoD.
Eyes of the Beast - My Hunter Blog
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I wouldn't get too concerned just yet, guys. If enough people bring it to Blizz's attention, there's a decent chance they'll make the mats a bit more easily obtainable in a future patch. If you want to be able to tame them out of the gate, you'll probably have to pay for it. But if you can wait a bit, I have a feeling they'll start increasing drop rates and/or reducing costs of various things. At least, I hope so. I've really wanted A-Me for a while now. :lol:

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

Rhyela wrote:I wouldn't get too concerned just yet, guys. If enough people bring it to Blizz's attention, there's a decent chance they'll make the mats a bit more easily obtainable in a future patch. If you want to be able to tame them out of the gate, you'll probably have to pay for it. But if you can wait a bit, I have a feeling they'll start increasing drop rates and/or reducing costs of various things. At least, I hope so. I've really wanted A-Me for a while now. :lol:
Not even just the mats. As others have pointed out, the vast majority of people on beta haven't even seen a Curious Coin, which is the currency required to buy the recipe.

And the recipe will compete with -other- recipes on the vendor for people.

Which means realistically, there's only going to be a handful of crafters per server for the first like 6 months of legion. And those people will also need to spend those BIND ON PICKUP CRAFTING MATERIALS (Blood of Sargeras is one of the materials) on upgrading their artifacts, as well as crafted gear.

This is not going to end well at all. Hunters -need- to make this known. It's GOING to be a serious problem. Like, unless you're filthy rich gold wise, it's about 90% likely going to be cheaper to buy 2 race changes than it will to buy WoW tokens to buy the item off the AH for the first 6-8 months of Legion.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

There is only one Engineering recipe sold by the vendor, and Blizz has made it clear that those with two Crafting professions will be at a disadvantage.

It is possible that Blizz will either reduce the amount of mats needed, but I doubt they'll outright remove the Blood of Sargeras from it. If someone chooses to spend RL money on race changes, that is their decision. I think it is ridiculous, seeing as Mechanicals give no advantages over other pets, but that is their decision. Further, the Garrisons have been a HUGE source of gold during WoD. If people have chosen not to take advantage of the situation (I myself have earned hundreds of thousands off of it), then that is their own fault. It does not take hours to truly utilize the garrison. Just 10-20 mins is all it takes to earn Garrison Resources, build up the Bunker and Tavern, and get followers that have the Treasure Hunting perk.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

Valnaaros wrote:There is only one Engineering recipe sold by the vendor, and Blizz has made it clear that those with two Crafting professions will be at a disadvantage.
They immediately backtracked on that and said they want it to be a viable way to do things. They even lowered the blood of sargeras dual gatherers get in world quests to compensate. xD Gotta keep up. :P

In fact, they even said they're heavily considering making gathering professions secondary professions after legion.
It is possible that Blizz will either reduce the amount of mats needed, but I doubt they'll outright remove the Blood of Sargeras from it. If someone chooses to spend RL money on race changes, that is their decision. I think it is ridiculous, seeing as Mechanicals give no advantages over other pets, but that is their decision. Further, the Garrisons have been a HUGE source of gold during WoD. If people have chosen not to take advantage of the situation (I myself have earned hundreds of thousands off of it), then that is their own fault. It does not take hours to truly utilize the garrison. Just 10-20 mins is all it takes to earn Garrison Resources, build up the Bunker and Tavern, and get followers that have the Treasure Hunting perk.
Not everyone played all of WoD. And saying it's their fault for that is not okay. Making a hunter pet a gold sink is not okay, lol. And to act like it is is ridiculous, when 2 races get it for free.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Not saying it is their fault if they haven't played WoD, but it is if they did and did not take advantage of the situation. Also, if someone truly wants item to tame Mechs, then they'll get it. Whether it is via buying it, being an Engineer, making/race changing to a gnome or goblin - that is their choice. It is a perk that Gnomes and Goblins get. Just as Night Elves get a stealth. Tauren and Pandaren get an additional stun. Humans, until Legion, had an ability to get rid of most CCs. Those racials affect gameplay a lot more than access to additional hunter pet skins.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Forgive me but NONE of my toons have made "hundreds of thousands of gold" in their garrisons. Not even remotely close. To be even more honest I've never uses anything in my garrison to earn gold. I truly just don't have the time for that with my job. To some 20 minutes seems like a long time but when your available play time is some days 45 minutes to an hour it's hard to justify spending 20 minutes mucking around to earn gold when I still have rep to earn cause none of my toons can fly in Draenor still.
So to somewhat imply people like me may be assed out because of not being able to take advantage of earning gold kind of isn't cool.

I have NO QUALMS in waiting to tame mech. Frankly none of my other girls other than my goblin & gnome will probably have mech pets but that doesn't mean I want to have spend what little available time I have to either farm up gold or pray to the RNG gods I get lucky and actually get a coin. That's not fun. I'm sorry but it's just not. I'd rather just not tame a mech and would rather spend my hard earned money on other things than race changing multiple hunters just so they can tame mechs because the coins are near impossible to obtain either by finding them or buying them.

I sincerely hope Blizz does increase drop rates on the coins. The /nerdragetableflip will be extreme if they don't :lol:

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Understandable, but still the method of earning tons of gold has been available since the Treasure Hunting perk was added in 6.1. Blizz themselves have commented on this many times - talking about how they wish they never made so much gold available via a few pushes of a button (assuming you've built up your Garrison), and how they're going to make many, many gold sinks in Legion to drain that gold. The hundreds of thousands I've earned is nothing compared to what others have earned. There are those whom have made MILLIONS of gold off of the Garrison.

Because of this, Blizz is adding things like the Curious Coin vendor, the 2 million gold mount, the 1 million gold pet, etc etc.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I think gold may be easy enough to make in Legion. But if the recipe is as rare as it seems then they're turning a widely coveted hunter ability into a gold mine for a few lucky engineers who are elevated by chance. That part I'm not so happy with. But maybe the coins will become more common.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.