Rare Tames now count towards Bloody Rare/Frostbitten!

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Slapperfish

Rare Tames now count towards Bloody Rare/Frostbitten!

Unread post by Slapperfish »

So I've been having problems taming pets on the PTR, and decided to shift my focus to checking out the status of Dalaran in the wake of the approaching expansion. Since I had race-changed a copy of my main into a female Blood Elf (don't ask), my Hearthstone was now set to Silvermoon for some reason, so I used my Northrend Wormhole Generator to teleport to Sholazar Basin. Curious to see if King Krush had Spawned just south of where I ended up, I flew down from the pillar and, sure enough, there he was in all his green glory. Despite being unable to tame pets (it seemed to be on and off, I could tame some pets but not others), I decided, "Ehh, what the heck, I'll see if it works on him."

What happened next was completely unexpected.

At first, I thought it was some weird bug, but I was so ecstatic about this possible change that I teleported to Area 52, which ended up making me look like a Tauren that just raided Lara Croft's wardrobe. As an engineer, you get used to this sort of thing. :mrgreen: My next test subject was Nuramoc, who I managed to find a his northernmost spawn point. I cast the tame, and sure enough...

...my hypothesis was right! After YEARS of hardships plaguing the hunter community over these achievements, decisions that have caused those who are both pet lovers AND achievement hogs to make the ultimate decision, taming "extremely rare and hard to find" beasts around Outland and Northrend now contribute towards Bloody Rare and Frostbitten, respectively!

I can't wait for this change to go live! :D
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Re: Rare Tames now count towards Bloody Rare/Frostbitten!

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Oh that's awesome. I just wish it was retroactive. (or is it?) I already tamed Loque, and don't fancy finding her again and stealing her from another hunter.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Oh very nice. What a lovely change :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

I wonder if this was done in order to fix the problem that 'tamed pets break dungeons or questlines'.

Which might also mean that now, taming a boss *could* count as killing it for the purposes of continuing a dungeon or the like as well. Which would be helpful!

Either way, even if it *wasn't* done for that, this is fantastic. :D Came too late for poor Loque for me, alas.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Aaahhh, that's so nice!

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Kurasu wrote:I wonder if this was done in order to fix the problem that 'tamed pets break dungeons or questlines'.

Which might also mean that now, taming a boss *could* count as killing it for the purposes of continuing a dungeon or the like as well. Which would be helpful!

Either way, even if it *wasn't* done for that, this is fantastic. :D Came too late for poor Loque for me, alas.
That would be nice, wouldn't it? Hmmm, if that's the case the taming Thok should unlock raid progression now.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

This is an amazing change, lets hope the word gets out!
Serenith
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US, Bloodsail Buccaneers Classic

Unread post by Serenith »

I hope this is true. I felt pretty terrible killing Loque for the achievement....but I like achievements. I also quickly skinned her so I didn't have to view the corpse and so no one else knew I was horrible :C

Adorable avatar by the very talented Lupisdarkmoon! Thanks!

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Well, I'm glad they did it, but it's a little late for me. I already murdered them, a long time ago :( Plus people will still assume they have to be killed. But, for the educated hunter, I suppose it's a blessing.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

Teigan wrote:Well, I'm glad they did it, but it's a little late for me. I already murdered them, a long time ago :( Plus people will still assume they have to be killed. But, for the educated hunter, I suppose it's a blessing.
Plus, Loque's cloak is still a unique transmog, unless they make the DK-only stuff into stuff others can use (and they're pretty directly stating that they aren't intending to).
Divixon
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Frostmourne Alliance

Unread post by Divixon »

omg about time..
lilaughingwolf
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Zul'gin

Unread post by lilaughingwolf »

:o **Happy Dance!!** :headbang:
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Wain wrote:
Kurasu wrote:I wonder if this was done in order to fix the problem that 'tamed pets break dungeons or questlines'.

That would be nice, wouldn't it? Hmmm, if that's the case the taming Thok should unlock raid progression now.

It does act like a kill. I tamed Thok shortly after servers came up today, and found that when tame finished, it acted as though I had killed him (giving me the option to use a coin for gold/loot). I didn't catch whether it gave me loot automatically. I'm pretty sure it didn't. But it definitely otherwise treated my tame as a boss kill.

WhyNotCats909
Realm: Misha, Kul Tiras

Unread post by WhyNotCats909 »

I asked a GM if I could get credit for the Loque'Nahak in my stables...

...and unfortunately, this appears to be a bug.

"Greetings [name]! Game Master xxxxxxxx here!

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch with us. I understand you are wanting to know more about getting credit for Frostbitten and Bloody Rare. Don't worry I did some digging for you and found those achievements are for killing the rare beasts not taming them. :)

If you see others getting credit for these achievements by taming instead of killing, please bring this bug to our developers attention:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1012660/

I hope this information finds you well. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact us. :)"

Edited to protect identities. I may link them to this thread... should I?
Please don't hug the shiny kitties. The shiny kitties are angry all the time, and I wouldn't want Crazy Red Eyed Kitties to nom your face.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

Keep in mind that GMs don't know everything. GMs are not developers. They do not have a lot of the information that Devs have.

Yes, it's possible it's a bug. It's also possible that it's something the GMs didn't know about.

I have been used as a 'test subject' by one GM trying to work out why a bug was happening, for instance; they'd gotten reports, and when I made my report, we decided to do some testing so they could give a better info.
WhyNotCats909
Realm: Misha, Kul Tiras

Unread post by WhyNotCats909 »

I decided to reopen the ticket, citing the amount of bugs that would be caused if this feature were removed. Also, I pointed out that there would be one less deep crying session for me.
Please don't hug the shiny kitties. The shiny kitties are angry all the time, and I wouldn't want Crazy Red Eyed Kitties to nom your face.