The hunt for the Long-Forgotten Hippogryph mount

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

The hunt for the Long-Forgotten Hippogryph mount

Unread post by Quiv »

I have invested a ton of time trying to figure this thing out.

Summon trigger: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=215345/sum ... hippogryph
NPC: http://www.wowhead.com/npc=108366
Mount item: http://www.wowhead.com/item=138258
Learned mount: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=215159

Although it may make it easier, I'm hoping its not some rare Class Hall mission similar to the Llothien Prowler.

Theres a certain high mountain in Azsuna that has my attention as a place for this NPC. The path up wasn't obvious (to me anyway), and at the top of the long winding path is a pavilion with a couple NPC that summon a rare felbat. Thats all I can tell happens up there, and its not an insignificant chunk of map. Heres the map with 3 yellow X where the points of interest I found are.

First X (south west): This is an odd circle of stones right off the side of the path. Nothing here that I've found.

Second X (east): Abandoned horde painting items. This is neat but I don't think its relevant. Probably flavor. It does make for a good view though.

Third X (center north): This is, to me, the most interesting. Its not directly off the path, you have to wander a little ways down. The path leading up to this mountain is full of neutral cliffwing hipoogryphs and llothien foxes that run around. The way the foxes run made me think they were leading you somewhere, but now I don't think they are. Anyway, all the wildlife up here is neutral except these two hostile buggers.

These are Bloodthirsty Foxes, and from what I can tell, these are the only two in the game. They are programmed to stare at this tree. Every minute or so they will both walk up to it then run back. Theres nothing there, its not like they have prey cornered. They are staring at a blank trunk.

You can climb the tree. And I have, multiple times. I've camped in it, visited it at odd hours, hoping to see maybe a nest or something that would trigger the Long-Forgotten Hippogryph. I've jumped from it with a glider thinking theres something I can only reach from here. I've killed these foxes over and over (they are hostile afterall). Nothing so far.

Besides these, I have ran all over this mountain looking for clues. I even went back to Feralas where the model was first introduced to look for clues. Nothing is jumping out to me. MUST FIGURE THIS OUT.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: The hunt for the Long-Forgotten Hippogryph mount

Unread post by Wain »

Azsuna seems like a strange place, since the zone uses new hippogryphs and the mount is a really old model but it's perfectly possible. :). Especially because, in what is pretty much a converse situation, the new fox model mount is obtained in a zone that uses the old fox model for its NPCs. I can't help but feel this seems disjointed but that's how it is.

I've been up the mountain you mention many times, but never found anything either. Happy hunting :). I'll maybe have another look at old zones soon.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Wain wrote:Azsuna seems like a strange place, since the zone uses new hippogryphs and the mount is a really old model but it's perfectly possible. :). Especially because, in what is pretty much a converse situation, the new fox model mount is obtained in a zone that uses the old fox model for its NPCs. I can't help but feel this seems disjointed but that's how it is.

I've been up the mountain you mention many times, but never found anything either. Happy hunting :). I'll maybe have another look at old zones soon.
I agree 100% it makes sense to be in old zones. The "long forgotten" angle attests to this in my opinion. Thats why I thought Feralas was a logical choice.

The sole reason I've spent hours in Azsuna is because of the mount guide, so if I find out they changed the location and didn't update the guide, I might cuss a little. :lol:
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

If it isn't in Azsuna and without any clues this thing could be anywhere with hippogryphs or night elves. Ashenvale, teldrassil, hyjal, winter spring, moonglade, howling fjord, feralas, crystal song forest... I still don't have beta, otherwise I'd help you look :(

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Zelhashan
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Windrunner/Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Zelhashan »

Something tells me this mount is going to be the new Time-Lost Proto Drake of Legion or at least a rare that drops itself like the other specific rates we have in draenor like poundfist
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

...does Feralas have a 'Forgotten Coast'?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

GormanGhaste wrote:...does Feralas have a 'Forgotten Coast'?
It does indeed!

My original thought was that it may have been on the Isle of Dread off the coast of Feralas, which sank during the Cataclysm and people have forgotten about for years. I thought maybe it was trapped in an air-filled cavern there or something. I surveyed the area and found no caves or anything unusual, though. It's also an annoying area to survey as much of it is just deep enough to give you the fatigue bar, so you have to stick to the encircling mountains most of the time.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

I've went all around the Forgotten Coast too. Rediscovered Prince Lakma, which about gave me a heart attack when he came into view. If there is anything there, it has completely escaped me.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

If it's anything like the murloc pet it could be on some desolate island, in a cave with a tiny crack for an opening, some ruins on a mountain top... Who knows.

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

biscitandchina
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: winterhoof

Unread post by biscitandchina »

Anyone try Desolace? last i checked there were purple gryphs there if I'm correct.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

I'll give Desolace a looksee.

I found a bunch of the blue/orange Hippogryphs in the Cenarion part, but nothing that jumped out at me for the mount. Then again, I don't know what (if anything) I should be looking for.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

My bet is that it would somehow tie in to the old Hippogryph Eggs quest, Egg-o-Matic and so on. Maybe you can still loot the nests (I couldn't find any spawned on the Beta, but they were still available as vendor bait post-Cata, along the cliffs behind Isildien, Feralas). Alternatively maybe those who completed the quest chain in Vanilla/TBC can find a rare in Azsuna, but somehow I think Blizzard wouldn't lock new players out of it.

Strange thing is I'd swear I had a hippogryph egg in my bags and now I can't find it after the Legion patch. Maybe I deleted it, whoops.

Edit: I found a HIDDEN cave. There's nothing inside. When you're running up from the blue dragon flight path toward the ring of dirt/twin aggressive foxes, the first owl that will lead you to that cave on the right-hand side--a fox will run past you the other way. It runs to a family of foxes with kits in a tree. Jump into the bushes behind them and you'll FALL into an oddly large, empty cave. But there's just an empty fountain. :( I'm not sure if this is for a class quest, or what!
Last edited by Acherontia on Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Or could it just be tied to a world quest in Azsuna we haven't seen yet? I know there are hundreds of possible quests but not much beyond that.

Or maybe even Blizz forgot about the hippogryph and its source.

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Well a recent Wowhead interview said Legion has a ton of hidden things in it, so I imagine this is part of it. There may not be clues.

Although I did remember that the Rygarius NPC in Stormwind was this exact same model, and "long forgotten" made me think its a possible ironic reference to them leaving a couple weeks back. I highly doubt it, though I personally think it would be funny.

BTW I went into specifics on the interview in this post: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic ... 55&t=24090
Sigrah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Sigrah »

God help anyone hunting for it if it's another Time-Lost Protodrake. There's still people out there that have been playing since Vanilla and BC that still haven't ever seen it, let alone collect the mount that drops from it.
Chaix
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: malfurion

Unread post by Chaix »

playing since vanilla and bc doesn't really help since TLPD was added in wrath
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I'd think if it was like TLPD though, SOMEONE on beta would have said something on wowhead by now. Even with a long spawn, it's impossible that no ones killed her at least once... unless she's also in a super secret location. But both would be kind of overkill.

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Poearia
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Fizzcrank

Unread post by Poearia »

So what IF this is Rygarius? Maybe you need to visit this peak on his birthday? Could be a once a year spawn? Or bring/drink coffee up to the mountain? Want this mount so bad....There's gotta be a clue in the flavor text....
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

That's good lateral thinking :)

Maybe the "forgotten" part isn't only that the beast itself was forgotten.