no more artifact weapon, right?

For discussion while BlizzCon is running. Anything pertinent to WoW will be moved to the appropriate forums after BlizzCon is over.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

no more artifact weapon, right?

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I'm presuming that with the new expack that we lose our artifact weapons and a new system is installed for gear?

I'm going to say that this does worry me a little.
One thing I've immensely appreciated about the artifact weapon, AP, and relics, is that this is the very first time I have multiple toons, of multiple classes, levelled to max and with gear scores above 900 (what I mean is with gear that's appropriately high level).

If they go back to the previous models of gear acquisition, this will mean that people like me will not get better weapons/gear unless we do dungeons and raid.

In Legion, crafting was entirely pointless for gear. Anything I could make (and I have all crafts maxed) was already too low level for any of the toons I could make it for. So I made do with quest rewards (usually far better than crafted gear) until I hit level 110, then moved to the Broken shore 850+ gear, and then world quest rewards that were often higher than 900.

Unless there's a major reworking of how crafting works in the next expansion, I'll probably be dropping any crafting at all. I hate the idea of having to do dungeons with mean and obnoxious strangers just to get a pattern/recipe that I really want.

The acquisition of crafting recipes was also very unbalanced. On some of my toons I quickly got the level 3 recipes because they were either world drops, or purchasable. While others I'm still stuck on level 1 or 2 because the next rank requires a heroic dungeon or raid.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: no more artifact weapon, right?

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Artifacts are going away, but the Heart of Azeroth system will be taking its place. It is a medallion that empowers your helm, shoulders, and chest. These things grant access to traits, much like the Artifact system, but with many more choices. It is a rather lengthy thing, so your best bet would be to read the articles in regards to it on Wowhead :)

I don't think they'll be changing the professions much. If they were, they would've announced it at Blizzcon. I believe they said in some interview that they are largely happy with it and the obliterum system. The obliterum system allowed for crafted gear to be an actual option, rather than just being a brief thing at the start of an xpac.

Those ranks are fairly easy to get. I think most, if not all, are a guaranteed drop from whichever boss they are listed to drop from :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Apparently we'll be saying good bye to our artifacts in an epic fashion, but they said they're not ready to talk about how just yet. I assume it's tied to a major plot point in an upcoming patch.

I thought professions in Legion were terrible and a waste of effort, with probably cooking being the low point. Obliterum gear was still (but only just) below par, and the effort to produce it was, I think, less fruitful than other activities that awarded gear. I always enjoyed my professions and this is the first expansion where I crafted nothing for use, only some things for transmog. The level restrictions on crafted gear made it not worth making for leveling alts or 110s. I did enjoy some of the quests, though, especially the mining ones - they had a great story. I felt bad that the designers who spent a lot of time on those quests probably didn't receive much appreciation because they were tied to the profession system.

Also, we went from previous expansions where generous people would almost always lay down feasts in raids, and create a feeling of sharing, to a situation in Legion where nobody did anything. That was a really poor change.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I all but ignored professions in Legion and I usually max them all for the sake of it. I did max engineering for Blingtron 6000 and other toys, and secondary professions as well. Other than that, I just ignored them. If I'm being honest, it was a relief. One less thing to do on an alt in an expansion that had a ton to do on alts with class story etc.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

It depends on the crafted gear. The darkmoon card decks are considered amongst the most powerful trinkets ingame, especially the tank and healer ones.

It depends on the raid difficulty. Lfr is hit and miss. You might get kind people who place them, or not. They may not even have time to place them due to someone randomly pulling a boss. In premades, I have almost always been in a group that has put down feasts.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Ion Hazzikostas said a couple of things in an interview about artifact weapons (and Hati). He has a history of making pronouncements about their plans, doubling down, and then have things turn out differently.
Will artifact skins be locked to the spec they are from?
Current thinking is yes, they will be spec restricted.

Will artifact skins earned on a current character be available on a new character of the same class?
The artifact skins will be account-wide as long as its the same class and spec.

What's going to happen with Hati for BM hunters?
Hati is very closely tied to Titanstrike. There's something very cool about having multiple pets and could expand more.
The Hati answer wasn't very informative, I suppose the question was kind of vague too. "Multiple pets" looks like a possibility, I just hope it doesn't end up mandatory again. I'm not going to read anything into his answer, regarding the Hati models.

I expected the "same class alts" plan. But I hope they change their mind about making them spec restricted. It would mean BM couldn't use any of the MM models (and vice versa). A fire mage couldn't use the frostfire staff model. A few of them would be absolutely incongruous. And that has never been a restriction before. Shadow priests can use holy looking weapons, fire mages can use swords that look like they're made of ice.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I think they didn't say much about Hati because it might hint to what is happening to the Artifacts in the story and/or they not entirely sure yet.