Twitch Drops Question

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Twitch Drops Question

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

I've asked all over the place in relevant locations, but nobody ever gives me a real answer. Not even Twitch's own customer support was helpful (The TWO representatives I spoke to didn't even understand what I was saying). So, since the folks at Petopia are actually helpful, I'm hoping one of you can help me figure this problem out.

Around February, any Twitch drop campaigns I want to do don't start immediately. Examples include but aren't limited to World of Warcraft and Don't Starve Together. I'll go to participating channels at the correct times, check my drops inventory, and the drops won't even register as starting. Most recently, for DST, it took approximately two HOURS for the drops to actually start counting down. In those two hours, I could've had two of the three drops done (30 min and 1h30m, respectively), but instead, when the drops finally started counting, I had passed two hours and only had like 5 minutes on the 30 minute drop. It's NOT that I'm not connected, as I've done all the previous drops for that game. The same happened with WoW's more recent twitch drops, where I'll have a stream open for a few hours, and none of the progress counts until much later. Originally, when you start watching a stream that has drops enabled, progress is immediately started and you can see the progress on the Inventory page under the Drops section. That isn't happening like it's supposed to, thanks to this unusually long delay that I can't figure out how to resolve.

I have connections set up. I followed every guideline, and I've received past content from last year without problem. Now, it's just taking forever for progress to start when I have everything necessary set up. Anyone have any idea why this is happening and how to resolve the issue? Drops always have more than enough time to collect everything, but the fact that I'm wasting hours without getting any progress is pretty frustrating. That's wasted time.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Twitch Drops Question

Unread post by Vephriel »

That's really strange, I haven't encountered any issues like this and I use Twitch Drops quite frequently from some other games I'm active in.

I don't really know how to go about troubleshooting, but my only suggestion that I've seen others talk about is to try having the stream open and unmuted in your primary browser?

There's some that say the drop progress won't count if the stream is up in another tab or muted, but personally I've never had a problem with that so it seems like a flimsy argument. Even right now, I have a WoW stream open and muted in a tab I'm not even watching and I can see the progress filling when I go check on the inventory page:

https://www.twitch.tv/drops/inventory
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

The progress did start about 3 hours ago now, when the servers came up early (hence why I'm only now posting lol). Though, that's definitely not a factor since others (literally a neighbor and a few other friends) were getting credit before then. Regarding the primary browser, that's no problem since I only use one browser. I'll never unmute the streams though. I only use twitch for drops, not for the annoying chatty people talking to themselves. I did try sending a customer support ticket again in the hopes that the representatives give me a real answer this time instead of just referring me to guides on how to set up connections. This was an hour before I posted here, so...not exactly holding my hopes for that.

I did think it might be an addon issue, and I did try turning off uBlock Origin (what a horrendous thing to do), but thankfully that wasn't a factor.
Vephriel

Yeah, like I said, I doubted the tab or mute have much effect because I regularly watch Twitch channels muted and in the background and I still get drops just fine, but I figured I'd mention it just in case it was a factor.

I actually ended up getting both rewards today (the Portal and the Mount), even though I just claimed the first drop, I guess something bugged on their end. :lol:
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

I found that the twitch thing needs to be the tab you have open to even register. You can have it in a different window if you want, but it has to be the active tab of that window. Otherwise it wont count.

Siggy under construction!

Vephriel

Bowno wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:31 am I found that the twitch thing needs to be the tab you have open to even register. You can have it in a different window if you want, but it has to be the active tab of that window. Otherwise it wont count.
I wonder if this is browser-specific behaviour then, because I can tell you that with Firefox at least I keep my Twitch open in a tab I don't even look at, it's not active or visible, and it's on mute, and I passively earn drops that way.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Vephriel wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:05 am
Bowno wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:31 am I found that the twitch thing needs to be the tab you have open to even register. You can have it in a different window if you want, but it has to be the active tab of that window. Otherwise it wont count.
I wonder if this is browser-specific behaviour then, because I can tell you that with Firefox at least I keep my Twitch open in a tab I don't even look at, it's not active or visible, and it's on mute, and I passively earn drops that way.
It very well could be! My fiance was struggling to get it to work with Chrome until we made sure he had it in the first tab of a window.

Siggy under construction!

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I finally got a response from Twitch that actually tried to help, rather than just telling me how to connect accounts and such. Here's what they said;

Code: Select all

Thank you for contacting us about this.

On the Drops Inventory page, the progress bar is not real-time, so users should refresh the page in order to see the latest inventory data. There can be a delay of up to 24 hours for progress to reflect accurately.

As a first step, please attempt to refresh your Drops inventory page. This usually solves this issue, as progress doesn't live update. Please also try deleting your browser cookies and cache, then check the page again. As a further step, make sure you're checking your progress on the Drops inventory page of the same Twitch account you're using to watch the stream.

If after following these steps you believe that your progress still isn't updating and reflecting accurately, please provide us with the following information so we may investigate further:

Device or Twitch app used (if you're not checking on a browser):
    If viewing on a mobile device, please include both the device’s operating system number, as well as the Twitch App version number.
    Drops campaign name:
    Participating Twitch channel you watched on:
    Screenshots of your Drops inventory page:
    Any error messages received (if applicable)

Thank you for your cooperation!
So, first thing to note is the horrible fact that there actually IS a delay. That's both reassuring and depressing since A) it wasn't just me and B) this is even an issue in the first place. At least I know I'm not the only one who would suffer this inconvenience. Next is that they tell me to refresh my inventory page and that it doesn't live update; I've said that I refreshed the page and still never saw it pop up, and I've said that I've had no problems before, so I'd already know about the no live update thing. That's likely just covering every base they can just in case, but it still feels kind of annoying that they'd say that when I've clearly stated to them enough to imply I knew both of these already lol. Now, after those kind of crummy parts, the real juice is in the other steps they've offered.
- I haven't cleared cookies and cache prior to sending the report (I never do this for any website. Never a reason to do it.), but I cleared it after reading the email response
- I've stated I watch from Firefox version 112.0.2 (64-bit)
- I did include two different games; Don't Starve Together and World of Warcraft. I didn't write out the campaign names when I sent the ticket though. Will do that when we can get our Blazing Hippogryph Mount if this continues.
- I didn't include the streams, but I watch Towelliee for all the WoW rewards and just pick one of the no-name streamers at random for DST (10 or less viewers, always the most chill and fun)
- A screenshot of my inventory when no progress is shown would be pointless, since the issue I have is that nothing shows up in that section, but I'll give them that if/when it happens again.

The Blazing Hippogryph is already showing in the inventory page, though we still have a few days to go before credit is actually obtainable. Here's hoping this issue is resolved with clearing the cookies and cache, and that no further issues happen that require several days of waiting for a response again. At least now I know there's a reliable answer somewhere on the internet now, and hopefully anyone that experiences this issue and googles it finds this post. Also, I want it to be a known fact that whoever is in charge of the automated messages doesn't seem to know how to attach image files to emails, since they included a broken image link that likely would've shown the Twitch logo/name. I find that hilarious.

@Bowno: Yeah, definitely a chrome thing. As Veph said, I too never have the tabs active and still got credit just fine in every other drop campaign. I can't imagine it being a requirement; that'd basically be locking you out of doing other things with your computer. That would drive me up a wall in no time flat.