No kids should watch these "Kids movies" ><

Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: several

No kids should watch these "Kids movies" ><

Unread post by Redith »

So there is a list of movies that just got put out warning parents not to let their kids see these kid movies. Tell me what YOU guys think lol

'The Wizard of Oz- Too scary
'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory' -Too violent
'The Nightmare Before Christmas'-too scary
'The Labyrinth'-Sexuality, too violent
'The Princess Bride'-Too violent
'The Dark Crystal'-too scary
'The Neverending Story'--sexual themes
'Jumanji'-too scary too violent
'Hook'-Sexual themes, Pedofiles, violence
'Flight of the Navigator'-Too violent
Senna-Umbreon
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Eonar, Nesingwary, Windrunner and the Venture Co.

Re: No kids should watch these "Kids movies" ><

Unread post by Senna-Umbreon »

Um, what? I can't see how The Nightmare Before Christmas is too scary. It's an epic movie and shouldn't be called "not kid friendly". As for Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? I honestly loved that story when I was younger.. So I don't see how the movie would be bad. Two of my best friends LOVED The Dark Crystal, and one of them is like.. 10 currently. I also happened to adore The Princess Bride when I was younger (Agh how I love that movie XD) and same for Jumanji.

Too many people have the mindset that anything that has even REMOTELY not completely "kid friendly" is horrible and should never be seen by children. It's getting really annoying, to be honest. A lot of those movies never did ME any harm, despite the fact that almost all the ones I saw I did at a very young age. Hell, Watership Down NEVER "scarred" me or anything when I saw it. And I was about 10 when I saw it. I even saw it in the home threater that some family friends have, so it was on a giant screen. Did it freak me out? No! I LOVE Watership Down! It's always been one of my favourites, and nothing changes that. Another movie that some would deem "bad" would be Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It has sexual themes and the like in it, but I saw it when I was fairly young and it's, again, one of my favourite movies ever.
Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

Redith wrote:So there is a list of movies that just got put out warning parents not to let their kids see these kid movies. Tell me what YOU guys think lol

Hmm, as the mother of a three year old who loves his films, let's see how I would rate these:

The Wizard of Oz - He saw it once, thought the witch was me, and persisted telling everyone that the good fairy "Isn't really pretty.". He was not scared.

Willy Wonka - Hasn't seen it yet, but I don't know what's violent about it. I'd be more concerned for that whole weirdo vibe going on there, but I'd still let him watch it.

The Nightmare Before Christmas - Probably one of his favourite movies of all time. He could watch it endlessly, and sings the songs constantly. Not scared. Oogie Boogie is his favourite character.

The Labyrinth - I've not seen it myself, so know nothing about it.

The Princess Bride - I consider it a waste of film history, and would be more offended letting my son watch something that stupid. But, since I don't let it in the house, he is more than welcome to go and watch it somewhere else. No qualms.

The Dark Crystal - Never seen it.

The Neverending Story - We don't have it, so my son hasn't seen it, but I don't recall any sexual themes in it. Then again, I watched it years ago, and probably wouldn't have noticed them, even if they'd been there. Because you know, kids rarely notice that crap until it starts being of interest to them anyway.

Jumanji - I loved it as a young teen, but we don't have it, so my son hasn't seen it. It is pretty exciting though, so I can see it being a bit "scary". Nothing to censor from children though.

Hook - Pedophiles? What? What the hell? It makes me wonder what kind of people the ones giving these ratings are. Trying to dig out anything and everything naughty about a film. I visualise them with Interrogator Vishas' voice "NAUGHTY SECRETS!"

Flight of the Navigator - Never seen.

What confuses me is that these films have been deemed too whatever for children to watch, but films like The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disney's) are considered ok for them. I mean, have you seen that film? There is a scene where Frollo holds Esmeralda by the arms, stands behind her and sniffs her hair in a rather repulsive way. Then he goes on to say that he's imagining a rope around her pretty neck, and she responds "I know what you were thinking."

ORLY?

Later on Frollo belts out a rip-roarer of a song (one of my son's favourites, since he considers Frollo "cool", I know I should be worried) where he deals with issues relating to his desire for Esmeralda conflicting with his religious obsessions. The words "This burning desire." are actually included in the lyrics.

But yeah, The Wizard of Oz is TOTALLY inappropriate. :roll:
Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Redith »

I know right. However I got to say that Labyrinth did have some ..erm sexual themes.
I mean when the biggest scariest puppet is hiding in David Bowies spandex pants i can see why some children were scared. :)

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h110/Redith/bulge.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Warning, Here be Monsters
Moonlost
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

I can't help but notice that there seem to be no animated movies on this list. Because obviously, all cartoons are totally fine for kids to watch. Secret of NIMH is totally less violent than the Wizard of OZ. (Not bagging on NIMH, which is an awesome movie, just making a point.)
Honestly? This list comes as way, way too overprotective. Don't the people who write these things remember watching The Wizard of OZ themselves as children? I'm a firm believer that sheltering kids to violence and anything beyond sugary pop happy good feelings will just make them all the more unprepared for the harsh realities of life.
Hell, when I was a kid, I watched much, much more mature stuff than bloody Nightmare before Christmas, like Akira (which, by the way, you should most definately NOT show to younger kids unless you're a sadistic brother. I'm looking at you Brickwall >.>), and I turned out fine. Hell, I'm very non-violent in real life.
Mozag wrote: Willy Wonka - Hasn't seen it yet, but I don't know what's violent about it. I'd be more concerned for that whole weirdo vibe going on there, but I'd still let him watch it.
Maybe when the kids get punished for their selfishness during the factory part of the movie? :S I'm surprised they're not going on about how the infamous tunnel scene will scare kids silly.

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Nonsense.

I agree with everyone who disagrees with these lists.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Moore
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Venture Co.

Unread post by Moore »

Pee Wee's big adventure should be on that list, but none of those movies should I LOVED 3-4 of those when I was a kid. However, Large Marge from Pee Wees big adventure still scares the shit out of me.

Ugh when she turns to face the camera and says Tell em Large Marge sent ya!

^ creeps me the eff out D:

Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

Redith wrote:So there is a list of movies that just got put out warning parents not to let their kids see these kid movies. Tell me what YOU guys think lol

Does it specify the age ranges for which they consider the movies inappropriate?

Really, the list doesn't seem to make tons of sense. "The Wizard of Oz" is considered too scary? The movie came out in 1939. Is there anything at all in there that's more scary than almost any cartoon a kid could watch on tv in the afternoon nowadays?

Willy Wonka is too violent? I'm assuming they're referring to the original movie with Gene Wilder. I'll admit the movie scared the stuffing out of me when I first saw it, but I was 5 and it was the tunnel scene that did it. That tunnel scene is about the only place that there's any 'violence' in the whole film (the chicken head bit) and even that is about a half second long. For the record, seeing the movie again 4 or 5 years later, I actually enjoyed it, primarily because of the creepy way that Wilder was so casual about whether or not the kids would actually survive the things that happened to them.

"Princess Bride"? Yah, there's sword fighting and such, though it's akin to an old Errol Flynn movie.

Now I do think that some of these movies such as "The Dark Crystal," and "Labyrinth" could be scary for really young kids, but then they're not intended for really young kids.

Honestly, I'm almost surprised that "Bambi" isn't on the list since there's violence and scary situations.
Sonata
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill, Bloodhoof.

Unread post by Sonata »

Can't speak for every movie here, I've only seen a handfull of these. Honest opinion I think it's a bit personal on what are kids afraid of these days.
I'll tell you a personal secret, when I was scared in Aladdin when Jafar called the Cave of Treasures it was the scariest bit in the entire movie for me, yes a giant cat head rising up from the sand. Mom challenged me to watch it when I was a kid so she would buy me Lion King.

Well the "Wizard of Oz is" a pretty old movie to be honest and back then the movie industry was a bit different. But I'd say it's hard to define the scary in it besides the witch and the house falling on somebody.
"Nightmare before christmas" I'd want to join the bandwagon on the no since even if it is of a darker themed everybody in Halloween town are happy and not cutting people up or doing scary things...because there are no ghouls jumping out of closets that will make you have a gasp.

How come I don't remember Neverending story having any sexual reference. Better yet what doesn't have a sexual reference.

Moonlost awoke personal demons in me by saying Akira, oh the sleepless nights...I want Kaneda's bike.
brb, going down nostalgia road.

"I'm in SPAAAAACE"

Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

What ages did they say this applies to? Or did they say these were inappropriate for anyone under 18?
Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Redith »

Worba wrote:

What ages did they say this applies to? Or did they say these were inappropriate for anyone under 18?
kids under 12
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Ok that's f'ed up. If they said under 6, that would be one thing, but 12 is ridiculous.
Senna-Umbreon

Redith wrote:kids under 12
I'm sorry, but that's just crap. ALL of those movies that I saw.. I saw when I was definitely under 12. Heck, I'm pretty sure I was under 10 when I saw them.

Here's the thing.. Kids do not need to be sheltered from things like this. Like Moon said.. It'll just makes things WORSE for the kids when they grow up and are exposed to that sorta thing daily.
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Senna-Umbreon wrote:Here's the thing.. Kids do not need to be sheltered from things like this. Like Moon said.. It'll just makes things WORSE for the kids when they grow up and are exposed to that sorta thing daily.
As a parent I respectfully disagree - stuff that seems harmless to an adult (e.g. Jack Skellington pulling his "scary face" on Oogy Boogie's henchmen for example) can indeed cause a typical 3 or 4 year old to have screaming nightmares, e.g. gradual introduction with age-appropriate material is what's needed, not baptism by fire.

Again though I think everyone is in agreement that the "12 and under" label is stupidly overprotective.
Senna-Umbreon

Worba wrote:As a parent I respectfully disagree - stuff that seems harmless to an adult (e.g. Jack Skellington pulling his "scary face" on Oogy Boogie's henchmen for example) can indeed cause a typical 3 or 4 year old to have screaming nightmares, e.g. gradual introduction with age-appropriate material is what's needed, not baptism by fire.
That may be true, but did I ever say that it should be shoved in their faces? Not really. (Not saying you're accusing me of doing so, really, just pointing it out.) But it shouldn't be treated like the most horrible thing in the world and totally abolished from a kid's childhood. I agree on the gradual introduction, but some parents are far too sensitive to that sort of thing and will "shelter" their kids from something that might not even phase them.
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Senna-Umbreon wrote:
Worba wrote:As a parent I respectfully disagree - stuff that seems harmless to an adult (e.g. Jack Skellington pulling his "scary face" on Oogy Boogie's henchmen for example) can indeed cause a typical 3 or 4 year old to have screaming nightmares, e.g. gradual introduction with age-appropriate material is what's needed, not baptism by fire.
That may be true, but did I ever say that it should be shoved in their faces? Not really. (Not saying you're accusing me of doing so, really, just pointing it out.) But it shouldn't be treated like the most horrible thing in the world and totally abolished from a kid's childhood. I agree on the gradual introduction, but some parents are far too sensitive to that sort of thing and will "shelter" their kids from something that might not even phase them.
Yes they are - I think if the max age on that list had simply been lowered to something like 6 it would have been a non-issue.
Senna-Umbreon

Worba wrote:Yes they are - I think if the max age on that list had simply been lowered to something like 6 it would have been a non-issue.
For the most part, yeah. Though I know some people who wouldn't have been phased by those movies at around 6. Heck, I might not have been. But.. Yeah. That "Any kid below 12 shouldn't watch these" is complete crap XD
Moonlost
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

Sonata wrote:Moonlost awoke personal demons in me by saying Akira, oh the sleepless nights...I want Kaneda's bike.
brb, going down nostalgia road.
*Snicker* I hear you on that. I am still very, very unhappy with my brother showing me Akira when I was about 8. I think I've mentally repressed the scars I must have suffered from that though. I can barely remember what is was about, other than the high octane nightmare fuel flesh blob monster at the end... Which is why I'm currently searching for our old VHS player to watch the film again! :B

On topic, yeah, I can see how children years 6 and under could be scared by some of the entries here, but I do agree that it's probably and individual thing. As a young girl, I loved big fanged reptiles that lived millions of years ago, but was scared of little beetles. But 7-12 year olds? No way. Like, half of those movies were films I enjoyed at that age.
Redith wrote:I know right. However I got to say that Labyrinth did have some ..erm sexual themes.
I mean when the biggest scariest puppet is hiding in David Bowies spandex pants i can see why some children were scared. :)

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h110/Redith/bulge.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Warning, Here be Monsters
You make it sound like staring at David Bowie's crotch is a deporable thing. >.>
... *cough*

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Sonata wrote:Moonlost awoke personal demons in me by saying Akira, oh the sleepless nights...I want Kaneda's bike.
His bike was badass.

BUT.

Garland from Megazone 23 > Kaneda's bike

:headbang:
Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Alterac Mtns, Maelstrom, Nesingwary, Silver Hand

Unread post by Cerah »

The Wizard of Oz:

Come on, the film came out in 1939 and generations of children have watched it. Some parts might be scary, like the freaky flying monkeys, but hey, if you want freaky, look at the original book. In it, the Witch has the monkeys pull all the Scarecrow's stuffing out and leave him hung over some tree branches, and drop Tinman onto some rocks, battering him so badly he can't move, so he just lays there and rusts until after Dorthey defeats the Witch, which is implied to be weeks later. The movie has nothing on that!

Willy Wonka:

Again, the whole point of the "violence" was to teach morals, in the same way fairy tales have for generations, by exaggerating the consequences for bad acts. Hell, the Ompa Loopas spell that out for the audience! Mike TeeVee's "punishment", being literally sucked into the television, could be argued to be particularly useful for today's audiences.

The Nightmare Before Christmas:

Please. The residents of Halloweentown are just overly enthusiastic about first their holiday, and then Christmas, with their "boss", Jack, just being the worst of the bunch. Again, it's even spelled out in song: "That's our job, but we're not mean/ In this town of Halloween" and "Although I'd like to join the crowd/ In their enthuisatic cloud". If anything, it teaches the lesson to not get too obsessed over something, and to consider the consequences for one's actions, which Jack has learned by the end of the movie (and also sings about).

Labyrinth:

Yes, there is sexuality in Labyrinth -- what do you honestly expect when David Bowie plays the villain? However, what's a kid more likely to focus on? Probably all the weird but cool muppets over David Bowie's crotch. They might get freaked out by the Fireys (especially when they start dismembering each other -- then try to do the same to Sarah), but I think it depends on what that particular kid is like. My 8 year old niece-in-law just loves singing the songs -- the visuals in the movie don't seem to phase her.

I'd do the rest of the movies on the list, but I have to get ready for school now. Anyway, my point is that blanket bans on anything don't really do anyone any good. Also, like another poster, I noticed there's no animated films on the list. The things that freaked me out the most as a kid were certain scenes in animated movies. I still can't watch "The Land Before Time" without crying when Littlefoot's mom dies.

I think it all depends on the kid, what their own personalities are like. Some things may freak out some kids, but not phase others. I think as parents/caregivers, people have to actually put effort into watching stuff *with* their kids, and letting them see stuff that they consider appropriate for their ages/personalities based upon that, rather than what some random list says.

Visit Pop Seagull Publishing
Original Canadian Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
Sleep is Temporary. Reading is Forever!