Being called 'gorgeous' offensive?

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Being called 'gorgeous' offensive?

Unread post by Lisaara »

I'm just a little curious cause I saw this topic in the Magistream WoW guild.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4253904851

I wanna know your thoughts Petopians. Do you think it's offensive or are they just making a mountain out of a molehill?

My opinion: No, he's not. He's giving her a compliment, saying she's pretty. I don't see why the OP of said topic is up in arms over it. I read the text. It doesn't come off as creepy to me. I've had a random dude say I looked pretty. It made me bashful, yeah, but not creeped out. I appreciated the compliment. I think some people are being seriously too sensitive about that.

(I'm confident we're all a bit better at not ripping each other apart than people on the Battle.net forums.)
Last edited by Lisaara on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Arwyn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Re: Being called 'beautiful' offensive?

Unread post by Arwyn »

Meh..I treated like I would with any cheesy pick up lines in RL. Rolled my eyes and went on with life or in this case getting the quest done.
Last edited by Arwyn on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

It's an unusual quest text, I'll give them that, however, it's no more creepy than quests called "Camel Tow" or "Just the Tip." And it's not exactly the first time Blizzard's had NPCs like this, although Ji might be a little more blatant about it. If anything it could be placeholder text or even just a show of social awkwardness where he's just sort of blurting things out (no reason NPCs can't have traits like real people after all).

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:It's an unusual quest text, I'll give them that, however, it's no more creepy than quests called "Camel Tow" or "Just the Tip." And it's not exactly the first time Blizzard's had NPCs like this, although Ji might be a little more blatant about it. If anything it could be placeholder text or even just a show of social awkwardness where he's just sort of blurting things out (no reason NPCs can't have traits like real people after all).
Yeah really. I thought that too. He's just an overly friendly dude so I was like "....whats the problem?"

Some of the comments in that topic just make me facepalm SO hard. Like....the ones claiming there shouldn't be 'creeps' in Azeroth like there are IRL cause Azeroth is a perfect place.

LisaaraPokefarm

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I don't get it. O.o
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

cowmuflage wrote:I don't get it. O.o
Theres an uproar. People in said topic think being called 'beautiful' is a bad thing now I guess and its creepy.....*shrug*

LisaaraPokefarm

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Ji of the Huojin wrote:You're some kind of gorgeous, aren't you? I bet you can't keep the men off of you!
Join me! You and I are going to be good friends!
If some guy I had Just met said that to me, I would find it inappropriate. And a little creepy.

But mainly, I dislike the gender inequality. Do we really have to continue the stereotype of valuing females only for their appearance?
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

GormanGhaste wrote:
Ji of the Huojin wrote:You're some kind of gorgeous, aren't you? I bet you can't keep the men off of you!
If some guy I had Just met said that to me, I would find it inappropriate. And a little creepy.

But mainly, I dislike the gender inequality. Do we really have to continue the stereotype of valuing females only for their appearance?
I don't really see it as inequality. He's judging them both by their looks. He compliments your skill and strength through the whole thing from what I'm reading.

Either way, seems kind of silly to have a big bruhaha over this.
Last edited by Lisaara on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LisaaraPokefarm

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I'm not sure I would call it an uproar. What I've been reading in the thread is more thought out than what I expected for the official WoW forums. However, I do think the OP and people agreeing with her are pulling that one bit of quest text waaaaaaaayyy out of context. From what I'm reading about the Ji character from other people who have done the entire questlines, he's a tactless kind of guy--he just sort of does things and says things without thinking about them first. I could easily see myself rolling my eyes at his statement, or giving a shitty little grin, but I personally, as a woman in real life who hates those creeps that follow your character around even when they're not half naked, do not find that quest text offensive.

Hell, I was more offended running around doing all the quests where we need to dig through poo for Blizzard. >_> Not offended enough to throw a stink about it (hahaha), but I do think they're gross quests and I have to pretend like I'm doing something else to get through them.

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

I read the first page of that post and while, yes, its a little odd, its frankly retarded. Like, look at Brazie Getz. Sure he doesnt talk to you creepily but his level and 'legal' items are quite suggestive (i say the level cause of derps that think 69 is hilarious). Luckily of course you cant acquire the items he sells but they are datamined and it is known they exist and are held onto by him and that we can read the tooltips which have text but i dont hear anyone complaining about them.

If people are getting offended by a NPC hitting on them, they need to quit the game. I first thought this complaint was over players hitting on people but when i read it was an NPC, i facepalmed so hard.. i just cant see how an NPC, something that has specific text prewritten for it, and cant act on its own and only does what its programmed to do is causing such a commotion. Its not real. Theres no one playing it. I can tell it my whole life story and every little detail about it and it wont have a single opinion.
Last edited by Chimera on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

GormanGhaste wrote:

And end up useing another sterotype? The "strong independant woman" one people useally use nowadays? XD I find that worse >.>
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

GormanGhaste wrote:

I have to strongly disagree. There isn't an inequality, just different reception. There are plenty of female characters in all sorts of fiction that swoon and melt at the sight of some tanned Adonis looking man. Men don't find it inappropriate nor offensive, we appreciate the appreciation. Also, what Ji says to males is almost exactly the same. It may be slightly (and very slightly) toned down towards males b/c Ji IS a womanizer (or failed one at least), and it would be odd for him to hit on a male toon, but I honestly see no difference than reception by same-gender audience.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:I'm not sure I would call it an uproar. What I've been reading in the thread is more thought out than what I expected for the official WoW forums. However, I do think the OP and people agreeing with her are pulling that one bit of quest text waaaaaaaayyy out of context. From what I'm reading about the Ji character from other people who have done the entire questlines, he's a tactless kind of guy--he just sort of does things and says things without thinking about them first. I could easily see myself rolling my eyes at his statement, or giving a shitty little grin, but I personally, as a woman in real life who hates those creeps that follow your character around even when they're not half naked, do not find that quest text offensive.

Hell, I was more offended running around doing all the quests where we need to dig through poo for Blizzard. >_> Not offended enough to throw a stink about it (hahaha), but I do think they're gross quests and I have to pretend like I'm doing something else to get through them.
Yeah it's just....blown out of proportion. Then theres some commenters on there that are like "Uh...wtf are you talking about?" like panties comes up for some reason when he never mentioned that.....ever.

Stink about it. I see what you did there, Tyger. Harhar! XD

LisaaraPokefarm

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

If in the real world someone said that, one would have every right to be a little thrown back, but then people DO say stuff like that in RL. (Especially if they are drinkers (Yes I'm looking at you pandas!) )

But seriously, his character plays a little bit of a boisterous, randy, old panda. Sure it's a little different, but I think it's kind of cool that there is an NPC that throws you off a little and you think... "Dam that cheeky old panda has got a bit of a mouth on him." It spices up the game a bit. That and it's not overly offensive, just a little overly admiring some of your more outer qualities. :D

TLDR, IMO, He thinks your smexy, deal with it! :lol:

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

It would be a boring game if everyone acted the same. I mean it's not like he openly says he wants to bend you over a table and have his way with you XD.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Spiritbinder wrote:If in the real world someone said that, one would have every right to be a little thrown back, but then people DO say stuff like that in RL. (Especially if they are drinkers (Yes I'm looking at you pandas!) )

But seriously, his character plays a little bit of a boisterous, randy, old panda. Sure it's a little different, but I think it's kind of cool that there is an NPC that throws you off a little and you think... "Dam that cheeky old panda has got a bit of a mouth on him." It spices up the game a bit. That and it's not overly offensive, just a little overly admiring some of your more outer qualities. :D

TLDR, IMO, He thinks your smexy, deal with it! :lol:
"Sexy and you know it!" *does the dance*

LisaaraPokefarm

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

You know what would make my day, is if blizzard now went back and editied the whole thing... and made him a boisterous, randy, GAY, old panda. Spin the whole thing around and says...

What he says to women:
Hello, friend!
You've got a strong look to you! I bet you're all the rage with the ladies!

What he says to men:
Hello, friend!
You're some kind of handsome, aren't you? I bet you can't keep the men off of you!

Now THAT would give people somehting to talk about :D
Last edited by SpiritBinder on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

­
­
­
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Total win, Spirit! :lol:

[/center]
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

I think now every panda in the starter zone should be openly gay. Yup cos that was win.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Jessibelle wrote:"Sexy and you know it!" *does the dance*
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle yeah, Yeah!

Last edited by SpiritBinder on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

­
­
­