Geek Girls Have Nothing to Prove

Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Geek Girls Have Nothing to Prove

Unread post by Silivren »

This video made me SO HAPPY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Rjy5yW1gQ

Seriously, if you've ever been ridiculed for being a girl and liking what you do.. Watch this. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen GIRLZ DONT PLAY VIDEO GAMES LAWL or.. THERE ARE NO GIRLS ON THE INTERNET.. or.. YOU ONLY LIKE THAT CUS YOUR BOYFRIEND DOES.. or.. YOU USE YOUR BODY TO GET FREE STUFF FROM NERDS DONT YOU? Yeah enough of that shit. Like this video shows.. I got nothing to prove to nobody. 8-)
Last edited by Silivren on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eternallylostx
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Main is on Wyrmrest, alts on Mok'nathal

Re: Geek Girls Have Nothing to Prove

Unread post by Eternallylostx »

More people need to see this, especially more of the males going'girls don't play games'

i lost it at 'Who died and made you Batman? Your parents? Oh, sorry then' omg

Signature credit to Ashaine; avatars by various people. Thanks! | Tumblr

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Squee Wil Wheaton! Love it Doctress!! I used to get the weirdest looks when I went into comic shops, i know exactly how those girls feel!

Also "I will do anything for 5$" made me lol ^.^

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Very cool :)

I've been playing online games since about... 92 or 93? And the jokes are that old. Long before the current batch of ignorant little shits were even born. But I've always seen a large female contingent in games I've played, in fact the class I played in the game I played for most years had a majority female membership.

Sadly it's basically "girls have cooties" extended from childhood to teenage years by boys who have no real understanding, or perhaps a very real fear, of girls and women. Most will be too ignorant, and too full of themselves, or just too glad of the negative attention, to see otherwise until they eventually grow out of it.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
ashdawn
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by ashdawn »

People who do make fun of the opposite gender should see how it feels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpdAcwCaCNQ

(contains some swearing and stuff)
Derax
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Area 52 - US

Unread post by Derax »

At the risk of being blacklisted by everyone.. I do like that video and it is a good video and truthful to an extent (I agree with the video). But then I watched the video ash posted and wonder why is it more acceptable for girls to stereotype guy gamers as being total douche bags (talking about how it seems all girl gamers think guys are tits or gtfo, Go make a sandwich, Shouldn't you be in the kitchen, Girls don't play games, etc..). Yet guys stereotyping girl gamers as (Bad, Getting free stuff, Only doing something cause BF, etc..) is more wrong. I feel like guys should be making the same video but with signs combating our stereotyping.

I guess in short I am saying is both guy and girl gamers get stereotyped online both are equally as bad treat them as such.

(Hope stereotyping was the right word lol)

Deraxacus - Area 52 (US) (Horde)

Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Those were pretty awesome

and holy shit

I flipped and squealed in joy at Alton Brown in the one Doctress posted. ALTON BROWNNNNNNNNN OMFG /dies

I absolutely LOVE him and everything he does on Food Netowork, can't believe he was in that video holy crap thats so fricking awesome!

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

i just saw this... LOVE IT. I been a geek ever since i was 9 and was in my first computer club.

I am a geek and im proud of it

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Makoes

Unread post by Makoes »

Derax, its not about what is more acceptable or not, stereotyping either way is detrimental, regardless of which gender is doing it. The link Ashdawn posted, its a parody of a (common) stereotype that men portray to women (I've been on the receiving end more times then I'd like), where as the women assume the role that men often portray. No-one here (I believe) is saying that only women can make stereo types and men can't, because everything goes both ways. Both these links are in RESPONSE to stereotyping that women receive, and there already things like this from the men's pov defending their rights against stereotyping as well.

As ashdawn said: People who do make fun of the opposite gender should see how it feels
(and that is what their link was about...so how did that parody make you feel? now you have an idea on how females feel when it happens to them.)

~~~
~~~
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: several

Unread post by Redith »

I like that there were some well known guy geeks in the vid. Not all of us guys hate gamer or geek girls. Most of us LOVE them lol
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Haha, this is awesome!!! I see that "There are no girl gamers" crap online all the time, and sometimes I wonder if they're doing it just to get a rise because they know how ridiculous it is. But, I don't doubt that some really do feel that way.

I've never been a comic book person, but I do like super heroes. My big passion has always been video games. My first console was the Nintendo Entertainment System. My dad probably bought it in '88 or so? So yeah, I think I've been playing games since I was about four years old, hehe. And 25 years later, I play Pokemon on my lunch break at work. I love being who I am and if people don't like it, then they don't have to talk to me. Simple as that!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

Derax wrote: But then I watched the video ash posted and wonder why is it more acceptable for girls to stereotype guy gamers as being total douche bags (talking about how it seems all girl gamers think guys are tits or gtfo, Go make a sandwich, Shouldn't you be in the kitchen, Girls don't play games, etc..). Yet guys stereotyping girl gamers as (Bad, Getting free stuff, Only doing something cause BF, etc..) is more wrong. I feel like guys should be making the same video but with signs combating our stereotyping.

I guess in short I am saying is both guy and girl gamers get stereotyped online both are equally as bad treat them as such.

(Hope stereotyping was the right word lol)
I'm not going to repeat everything that makoes said but you kinda missed the point of the video if thats what you got out of it. Guys already say this stuff about girls, this was just a role reversal to show men what it feels like when certain people say that stuff about girl gamers. It's not acceptable for either sex to sterotype the other and I'm sure the video's intention wasn't to justify that girls can do so more than guy's can..

I'm not having a go at you mate but there are already 100's of positive videos of what it means to be a male gamer, one negative one isn't going to harm you or make your gender be perceived as bad. Meanwhile many girls put up with this kinda crap on a daily basis, i've only got to read trade chat and atleast once a day i see the words "girls don't play wow" or the like. Troll or not it gets abit old.

Shadowlands

Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Um, by how I'm reading Derax's post, all who have commented on it seems to be missing what they're saying... In society, or at least the society I hear and see, people seem to think that a girl can rat on a guy and get away with it but the second a guy does it to a girl, everyone who hears about it flips shit and goes psycho with a sleigh of various things that often target the male but then will turn tide and also attack the female.

But its always the male who gets attacked first if a male rats on a female. The fact males rat on females to begin with is wrong and shouldn't be 'the norm' and I see that in Derax's post. He's saying that it isn't right for this to be the norm, for females to be able to rat on males and get away with it, and that both stereotyping should be treated equally when putting a stop to it.

As for 'one negative wont harm you' bit which irks me a bit, remember, it always starts at one. This is bullying and it only takes one comment or action for it to start rolling downhill. Of course it depends on the negative and how its presented to the public as we all have strengths and weaknesses that are biological and cannot be helped, but in this conversation I can't help but think of the scenario involving a comment as the source of the negativity.

I hope this makes sense, I'm not grrr arghs, so, I won't bite and I hope this isn't sounding like I am, I just want to try and see if I can make better sense of Derax's post and see if I'm the one who read it wrong or if I've made sense of his intentions in his comments ^^ And of course general awareness about gender stereotyping :3

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Makoes

Unread post by Makoes »

I'd suggest you re-read my post then...

"its not about what is more acceptable or not, stereotyping either way is detrimental, regardless of which gender is doing it. "
" No-one here (I believe) is saying that only women can make stereo types and men can't, because everything goes both ways."

~~~
~~~
~~~

Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

Makoes wrote:I'd suggest you re-read my post then...

"its not about what is more acceptable or not, stereotyping either way is detrimental, regardless of which gender is doing it. "
" No-one here (I believe) is saying that only women can make stereo types and men can't, because everything goes both ways."
Pretty much this.. The video is a joke video that is tackling this issue. It's a "See how it feels?" scenario. It isn't right on either foot but yes, some guys I know, think this is still ok behavior. Girls don't think EVERY guy is like that but a lot of girls, including most I know, have experienced the "Get back in the kitchen" attitude.

Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

Shalyth wrote: As for 'one negative wont harm you' bit which irks me a bit, remember, it always starts at one. This is bullying and it only takes one comment or action for it to start rolling downhill. Of course it depends on the negative and how its presented to the public as we all have strengths and weaknesses that are biological and cannot be helped, but in this conversation I can't help but think of the scenario involving a comment as the source of the negativity.
What I meant by this is there is already 100's if not 1000's of videos/blogs/message boards out there that slander girl gamers. One negative video (meant as a humorous parody at that) won't harm how the male gamer is perceived as a whole. I didn't mean it wouldn't harm him as a person, more the gender as a whole. And this video isn't bullying, more a funny defense to stuff that already happens to girls on a daily basis. Keep in mind, if a guy ever entered vent this would never actually happen to them but it does happen to girls.

Again sterotyping is never a good thing and nobody is saying it is or trying to justify that. Girls and guys are both guilty of it and when either does it it isn't good. "Walk a mile in someone elses shoes..." and all that.

Its also interesting to note that it was a guy that made this video in the first place (edit: ok 2 guys are in it! but i'm sure they approved of it since they contributed to it!) so it's obviously something the male gaming community is aware of and maybe is more of "we know how you feel" piece rather than an attack on male gamers. Food for thought :)

Shadowlands

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The second video is meant as a parody. Its not meant to be taken at face value. Rather, the twisting of something to show how absurd the original situation is.

For example, this Blurred Lines parody...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKfwCjgiodg
(hilarious if you haven't seen it. I hate the original song!)
... isn't meant to say that men should be regarded as subservient sex objects, but rather that the gender switch shows just how ridiculous the original was.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Makoes

Unread post by Makoes »

lol, hadn't seen that one yet Wain!!! That's awesome!

And just to point out in all those link video's, men and women have worked together and participated in their production ;)

~~~
~~~
~~~

Derax
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Area 52 - US

Unread post by Derax »

Let me try and clarify what I was meaning in my post..

First the original video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Rjy5yW1gQ

I completely support this! I don't know why some guys think girls can't be gamers/nerds/geeks. I have known some that can completely out geek me in stuff I love (Doctor Who, Babylon 5, Star Trek/Wars, etc..) and then some who can kick my ass in video games. I mean if they can't be nerds/geeks or a gamer then I can't even rank. The gender of someone should not be a factor at all in deciding if they are geeks/nerds or gamers.

The second video was were my comments came into play.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpdAcwCaCNQ

Yes I know its a parody its meant to be taken lightly and funny which I can find the humor in it so don't be thinking me a prude. When I watched the video it was like ohh its ok for girls to stereotype the guy gamers as douche bags and have it be funny and ok, But if a guy does it he takes flak for it. I get the feeling when I girl watches that video the thoughts will be "That's totally how guys act" "Nailed it" which in turn feeds the stereotyping of a gender.

I just think by making a video as a gender reversal kinda thing and using the stereotypical version of a guy you are in turn promoting stereotyping of a gender which doesn't help anything. If that made sense at all.... I just think the first video was perfect it was promoting equality and showing how anyone can be a nerd. The second video not so much.

idk I just can't get the right words to describe what I think in my head so I am just gonna stop talking before I sound more like an idiot.

Deraxacus - Area 52 (US) (Horde)