The Twelfth Doctor

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: The Twelfth Doctor

Unread post by Wain »

While each Doctor is unique, there need to be some constants, or at least things that change slowly. The fact that he's very English is one of them. Maybe he'll use a Scots accent, but I suspect he won't. And while I'd be open to a female incarnation of the Doctor, his gender is something pretty constant about him. And gender *is* something that figures strongly in the way we identify people. Anyone who says he's too old clearly doesn't know much about the show. :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Nevish
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Eonar, Thunderhorn

Unread post by Nevish »

cowmuflage wrote:That's 99% of American tv for me. You ask me where in the states some random yank actor is from and I'd have no clue :lol:

I don't think it will go away anytime soon. Not on Tumblr it wont. That's a breeding whole that kind of person. It's kinda sad.

David Tennant's accent in the show is English tho. But that's acting!
As someone who is active on tumblr, you might only be seeing the tip of the iceberg. It's goddamn bonkers in there, but the truly ugly parts of super popular fandoms tend to come and go in waves. And, as usual, a small but vocal group of bad eggs usually spells death for the remainder of decent, out-shouted remainders. :\

And to be fair, American TV is really boring. ;)

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Yay like others i might start watching it again, Matt Smith made me switch off, just couldn't see him as a serious Dr character. I just didn't get into him I guess.

I think its a little too PC to expect the Dr to suddenly become coloured or a woman all for the sake of equality. We've had alot of other characters that filled that role. Martha filled both and we even had a homosexual character in Torchwood. The Dr's character is that of a english gent who is typically represented by a white male. I think its fine to leave him this way but thats just my opinion.

I hope this incarnation revitalises the series at any rate.

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Derax
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Area 52 - US

Unread post by Derax »

Something I noticed when I was looking him up..

Deraxacus - Area 52 (US) (Horde)

Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

lol Bean....

Shadowlands

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

I'll admit, I don't like how old he is.

But that's ENTIRELY because of how I imagine his dynamics will be with the other characters. Keep in mind I sort of stopped watching Doctor Who recently, so I only get these ideas from tumblr and friends. But as far as I can tell, the recent set of companions were completely wrapped around the Doctor's finger, even romantically or along those lines. Which, arguably, strikes me as very, very, very creepy. I don't really want old dude making out with young lady episodes plzkthnx.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The Doctor was traditionally fairly mature. And he still looks younger than...

And no, there have been no romantic involvements recently. Some infatuations, but not like you describe.

Hopefully the companions will vary more, and not just be "girl sidekick and her friends". Donna remains my favourite from the new era. She didn't fit the mould and there was ZERO chance of romantic attraction.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Donna was definitely my favorite too. I also really liked Amy/Rory as well as Clara.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah, I liked the Amy/Rory thing too. Having a couple with him changes the dynamic a lot :)
Nevish
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Eonar, Thunderhorn

Unread post by Nevish »

Azunara wrote:I'll admit, I don't like how old he is.

But that's ENTIRELY because of how I imagine his dynamics will be with the other characters. Keep in mind I sort of stopped watching Doctor Who recently, so I only get these ideas from tumblr and friends. But as far as I can tell, the recent set of companions were completely wrapped around the Doctor's finger, even romantically or along those lines. Which, arguably, strikes me as very, very, very creepy. I don't really want old dude making out with young lady episodes plzkthnx.
Doctor and reciprocated romance is a recipe for disaster anyway. If this'll keep plotlines from turning into romantic tumours, I'm all for it.

Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Unread post by Aeladrine »

I haven't watched anything with Clara, so I can't say much on it, but... There was definitely romantic stuff with 11. And I don't even mean River (and let's not get started on that creepfest). There was a whole period of time where Amy up and ditched Rory, said she didn't want to marry him anymore because she met the Doctor, kissed the Doctor, and basically fell in love with him right off the bat. With a man she met when she was a child. Ngl, every time Moffat has touched romance it's been creepy.

One quote about Moffat's writing strikes me really, really well. The person pointed out that while previous female companions (at least in New Who) always had something about them that intrigued the Doctor, it was part of their personality. It was who they were. How human they were. Since Moffat has taken over, it's been about something that happens to them. Some ~*~special mystery~*~ that they're not hiding from the Doctor, they just don't know it. Amy had a crack in her wall. Clara died before she met the Doctor. Twice.

I do want a female doctor. Or any other Doctor that's not just white and male and straight. I want role models for my future daughters. I want them to see they don't always have to be the companion, even if the companion can kick some serious ass. They can be the Doctor, too. They can save galaxies and worlds and people and revel in humanity and be the main character. They don't just have to be part of someone else's story. They can have their own. They are not doomed to be the Manic Pixie Girl.

I haven't been watching Doctor Who, because Moffat's writing is terrible, he has more plot holes than actual plot, he can't actually develop characters (11 didn't change from the time he was introduced to the time I stopped watching, and that was over two seasons of him running around), and he just sucks. While I'm glad he's not writing a female Doctor, I'm still disappointed that I am still to be relegated to the role of companion.
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog

Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

Aeladrine wrote:I do want a female doctor. Or any other Doctor that's not just white and male and straight. I want role models for my future daughters. I want them to see they don't always have to be the companion, even if the companion can kick some serious ass. They can be the Doctor, too. They can save galaxies and worlds and people and revel in humanity and be the main character. They don't just have to be part of someone else's story. They can have their own. They are not doomed to be the Manic Pixie Girl.

I haven't been watching Doctor Who, because Moffat's writing is terrible, he has more plot holes than actual plot, he can't actually develop characters (11 didn't change from the time he was introduced to the time I stopped watching, and that was over two seasons of him running around), and he just sucks. While I'm glad he's not writing a female Doctor, I'm still disappointed that I am still to be relegated to the role of companion.
I defiantly don't want a female doctor and I will explain why. I have watched Dr Who since Dr 1 - 10 (the last one did nothing for me so didn't watch) and his character is not a woman. It would seem very wrong to me and to others who have watched it from the start for him to suddenly go from 11 odd english men to suddnely a woman. It doesn't make sense and to be frank I don't think in the context of the Dr Who universe it would work.

BUT in saying that you should not discount the role of the companions or rule them out as inferior to the Dr, far from it. They are often very clever and very brave in their own right, just because they are not the main character doesn't mean they are not as important or the viewer does not see them as such. Hell one of the 4th Dr's companions was a Time Lord in her own right and she was brilliant. He's also had male companions so it's not just the role of the woman to be the sidekick. And lets not forget the first companion was potrayed as the Dr's Granddaughter. And they often do have their own stories, Sarah Jane for instance is just as regonisable as any man who has played the Dr. Badass Ace taking on daleks with a baseball bat, Rose the "Bad Wolf" or even Martha's travels around the world. These may be part of the Dr's world "story" but they have a significant impact on the universe as a whole.

The romantic stuff lately, defiantly not a fan of. That was never the role of the companion to be a love interest. I suspect they think this will appeal to a "modern" audience meh who knows.

Shadowlands

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I don't think I could get behind a female Doctor. I just can't see him as one.

Not all of his companions are human. I mean there is that Timelady Romana (who I'll agree was badass) and the robot Kamelion! I'd love another non human companion!
Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

How does it not work in the context of the universe? They can completely change their appearance. It's already been proven, thanks to River, that they can change race. Gender isn't that far of a jump. The Doctor is, primarily, not human. That means he's not constrained by our ideas. The Doctor would be no different as a woman than he is as a man. it changes nothing, except showing little kids that girls can also be the main character. Doctor Who has changed with the times, and often reflects how the world currently views a lot of things. Just look at Captain Jack.

Though woman are now allowed to save the Doctor (sometimes), they are still always demoted to companion. And it is a demotion, despite how amazing those companions can be. A woman has never been allowed to be the true hero. The main character. The one we are supposed to care the most about. A woman has never been allowed to be the Doctor, and that needs to change.
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Sorry for not agreeing with you. Sheesh. And no I don't think it's a "demotion"
Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I was more addressing Castile, Cow. And there are tiers to how important a character is. There is the main character, secondary character, reoccurring characters, and background characters. By not allowing a woman to be a main character, you are forcing her to be, at most, a secondary character. If that is the case, the woman will always be less important than the man. It's a demotion because they are not allowed to be on equal ground, when, in actuality, men and women are equal.
• Aela's Pet Journal

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

I still don't think I want a female Doctor. I can't see him as one.
Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

It's fine for you personally not to be able to get behind it, but that doesn't change the fact that it's something many, many people across the world would like to see, or the fact that there's not reason for him not to be female. Personal preference is fine, but there are reasons people want the gender and race of the Doctor to change, and those aren't just based in preference.
• Aela's Pet Journal

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Well those people NEVER seem to nice about it EVER. Like at fucking all. Who ever says people on Tumblr are smart is wrong (it's fucking worse then Facebook in levels of stupid people but they are worse as they act like they are smart and there is nothing worse then a dumbass who acts smart)

Like I will give a shit about someone when they call you a sexist/gay hater for not wanting a female Doctor. I mean for fuck's sake.
Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I apologize if anything I have said has come off as rude or snippy. I'm fairly certain I didn't call anyone sexist, including Moffat, but I still believe it's long past time we had a female Doctor. As I said, it's fine if you don't want a female Doctor. But it is important to understand why people do want one, and why they are upset they have been once again denied.
• Aela's Pet Journal