What was the last movie you saw??

Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow

Re: What was the last movie you saw??

Unread post by Agravaine »

Snowy wrote:You think that's bad? How about when people try and imitate us Brits? They either make us all out to be ridiculously posh... or chavvy. Also omg I was looking up some Brave memes and stuff and the amount of people who think that Brave is either IRISH OR WELSH... Irish, Welsh, Scottish and British are all completely different things, guys. x____x Interwebs...

Oh and the amount of times no one can tell the difference between Aussie and British baffles me. They sound nothing the same. o.O
Yep, up here in eastern Canada I've heard people mistaking the English for Australians for years. You can probably tell the difference between Steve Irin's Croc Hunter and Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock, but for something eerie, try listening to Cumberbatch as Julian Assange in The 5th Estate -- it's an atypical Australian accent, but critics say he nailed it.

To confuse things further, there's different Irish accents and Scots accents and Welsh accents and English accents, plus diaelects like Glaswegian and Cockney.

Examples -- Irish: Daniel Day-Lewis famously aced the Belfast accent for In the Name of the Father; Colin Farrell is a real Dubliner.

I've got a soft spot for the Scots, having been educated by them in my formative years, and it hurts to hear the horrible stereotyped accents in commercials and such -- but if you're into them, there's a great little documentary about their accents and dialects on the Brave video.

Welsh accent varieties you can hear from Richard Burton, Anthony Hopkins, Gwen Cooper (Eve Myles in Torchwood) and interviews with Rhys Ifans (Mycroft in Elementary, Dr. Connors in the Amazing Spider-Man).

In England, the Beatles made Liverpool Scouse famously imitable; poor Yorkshire used to get such a bad rap ("that unfortunate accent") until Sean Bean did Sharpe, and after that they even had him narrate war documentaries without dressing his English up. Robbie Coltrane, a Scot, does a passable West Country (Forest of Dean) accent as Hagrid.

Needless to say, when my young nephew asked why everyone in Harry Potter was Scottish, we soon set him straight.
Last edited by Agravaine on Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snowy
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Snowy »

Agravaine your font is *very* difficult to read. I have to highlight it and strain my eyes just to see it. x___x

In other news, I finally caught up with the Saw series and I have to say... everything after the third one just sucked in terms of actual story. :/

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Snowy wrote:Agravaine your font is *very* difficult to read. I have to highlight it and strain my eyes just to see it. x___x
It's the default font, but I think I know why. How is it now?

Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

It's the default font? But... it's dark red. o.o Just realised though, I have the dark layout and I'm not sure how many people use that. I've been using it for the many years I've been here though so I just forget it's not the default one, arg. >___<

Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Snowy wrote:It's the default font? But... it's dark red. o.o Just realised though, I have the dark layout and I'm not sure how many people use that. I've been using it for the many years I've been here though so I just forget it's not the default one, arg. >___<
It's the default font in a non-default dark red. Guess it's back to black for me. :mrgreen: The dark layout looks cool; I'm glad it wasn't colour blindness that was making my text hard to read.

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Tonight i watched a little jewel of a film:

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

maybe because I'm getting up there in age, but I REALLY related to the film and was deeply moved by it.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Agravaine wrote:It's the default font in a non-default dark red. Guess it's back to black for me. :mrgreen: The dark layout looks cool; I'm glad it wasn't colour blindness that was making my text hard to read.
See, because of the dark layout, your 'black' font to me is white. :P The only reason I have this layout though is because I hate bright white backgrounds when I'm browsing forums, they hurt my eyes, so this was the only option. But yes, sorry, what I meant was that the font colour was different, not the actually font itself. ^^; The font is fine but since it's dark red on a grey background, well, that's hard to read. But it's not up to me! Post however you like. (:

Jurz
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Scryers, Earthern Ring, Feathermoon

Unread post by Jurz »

I just wanted to say that when you meet very few Brits and Aussies, it can be hard to tell the difference in accents... I'm pretty sure I've only met one Brit in RL and I've only met a handful of Aussies in high school. I'm getting better at distinguishing the difference since I watch Doctor Who, but...yeah...

Anyway, I saw The Nut Job. It was a cute kids movie. Last week I saw The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and that was pretty good, and I saw The Wolf of Wall Street the night before that and...that...was an interesting movie to say the least :lol:

Sig drawn by the amazing Lupis! and avatar drawn by the wonderful Senna!

Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Jurz wrote:and I saw The Wolf of Wall Street the night before that and...that...was an interesting movie to say the least :lol:
I've heard... odd things about this film. Not bad things, but it certainly doesn't seem like the sort of film I'd ever want to watch, but I'm curious. What exactly happens? o.O (Plus it's got Leonardo DiCaprio in it and, sue me, I don't like him, so meh, I'll pass on it.)

I went to see Devil's Due tonight. Either I'm getting bored of the same old camera-held possession/devil baby films, or they're simply not scary anymore.

Jurz
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Jurz »

Snowy wrote:
Jurz wrote:and I saw The Wolf of Wall Street the night before that and...that...was an interesting movie to say the least :lol:
I've heard... odd things about this film. Not bad things, but it certainly doesn't seem like the sort of film I'd ever want to watch, but I'm curious. What exactly happens? o.O (Plus it's got Leonardo DiCaprio in it and, sue me, I don't like him, so meh, I'll pass on it.)

I went to see Devil's Due tonight. Either I'm getting bored of the same old camera-held possession/devil baby films, or they're simply not scary anymore.
I heard many people didn't like Devil's Due, including coworkers of mine and my bf. It never seemed like my cup of tea though so I will be skipping out on it.

Wolf of Wall Street was pretty good, imo, but...you have to be very comfortable with seeing naked women, sex, drugs, and, of course, some violence. It was also very long (3hrs, not including previews, which is longer than the 2nd Hobbit movie)

If you can get past all of that then the movie itself is pretty good. It reflects human nature nicely. People resort to illegal activities when they are dirt poor and trying to give their children a better life. Money and greed and absolute power corrupt absolutely. They should have stopped while they were ahead but they didn't. I'm not sure how else to explain the movie without telling the entire story XD

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

The trailer I saw for Devils due just reminded my of Rosemary's Baby but found footage XD and after reading reviews I might just rewatch that instead :lol:

So Rosemary's Baby is on the Do watch list.

But tonight is Aliens!
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

cowmuflage wrote:But tonight is Aliens!
Most epic badass action scene ever throughout film history if you ask me! You just can't beat the moment when the cargo door opens to reveal Ripley in a power loader... =)
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

That is indeed a badass scene! Ripley is such a badass <3
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Sukurachi wrote:Tonight i watched a little jewel of a film:

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

maybe because I'm getting up there in age, but I REALLY related to the film and was deeply moved by it.
When I watched this one I must admit I was quiet dissapointed. The trailer and cast made it out like it was funny comedy and it really wasn't. It was nice don't get me wrong but yeah they kinda showed the best bits in the adds and that was it.

I watched the Nadescio movie The Prince of Darkness . The ending was abit dissapointing but i liked the film. The series ended very open and I thought the movie would answer alot more questions than what it did but on face value I enjoyed it.

Off to see The Hobbit on Friday in gold class :D very excited!

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

I saw Jack Ryan the day it came out. It was'nt bad, but kinda boring. I like economics and the news, but even I almost fell asleep three times. My sis loved it though.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Madoka Magica: Rebellion

That movie was a mind fuck

Dat ending yo. Lol wut was dat ending.

Cheeese

But the guys who dressed as Mami and Homura where pretty lol awesome. (there was a cosply contest at the viewing )
Litlemouse
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Vashj, Whisperwind

Unread post by Litlemouse »

I've been recently reading the Harry Potter book series, so I'm planning to watch all of the movies in a day or so.

All of them.

Jurz
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Jurz »

I watched The Nut Job. Cute movie.

I also saw I, Frankenstein. Better than I expected. I liked it more than the Underworld movies (they're alright)

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE LEGO MOVIE!! EEEEE!!

Jurz
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Jurz »

I just watched an anime movie called Wolf Children....It hit me in the feels T.T

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Jurz wrote:I just watched an anime movie called Wolf Children....It hit me in the feels T.T
Oh I bought that on Blu Ray, it was very different than what i expected tbh but I loved it! Was very touching :)

Also got to see The Hobbit at gold class recently too...omg smaug!! <3 Was awesome can't wait for the third. the fire song at the end is really good too. I saw a tribute video to firefighters set to that recently and that song was so moving...

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~