WoW survey for chance at 180 days of game time!

Zanthe
Realm: Muradin

WoW survey for chance at 180 days of game time!

Unread post by Zanthe »

Hi all! I am doing a research project for my Computer Science degree, and I am collecting some data on how people play World of Warcraft (more detail is provided on the survey consent page). I'd really appreciate it if you could fill out the survey here: http://hci-mturk.usask.ca:8080

Five participants will win 180 days of World of Warcraft game time, and you can enter this draw by providing your email address at the end of the survey. It shouldn't take longer than 15 minutes or so to complete. Thanks so much for your time!
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: WoW survey for chance at 180 days of game time!

Unread post by Vephriel »

This sounds really tempting but I'm hesitant to click the link from an unknown poster and url;;
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Dont risk it if there's a potentially poisoned biscuit.

Siggy under construction!

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I don't even know who has web addresses like that?
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Okay boyfriend checked it out for me, it's a legit site, the University of Saskatchewan. :lol: The 8080 is just a port that's used for the survey. Nothing fishy. Didn't mean to sound paranoid, but, you never know.

I filled it out OP!
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Today I learned that Saskatchewan is in Canada and not America.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Ok, I took it. I do have some feedback on the structure of the survey though. In the agree/disagree sections, you have it set up as "strongly disagree" > "slightly disagree" > "disagree" > "neutral" > "agree" > "slightly agree" > "strongly agree" and the questions scroll down past where you can see the rankings. Given that you chose a counter intuitive layout, you should have been sure the rankings were visible at all times. Or you should have gone with the logical progression of strongly > disagree > slightly > neutral > slightly > agree > strongly.
The last section was also poorly structured, but I already forgot what bothered me about it. It's late haha
One question was worded very oddly, about other players "seeing me". I'm not sure what that meant.
I'm guessing you're an undergrad and haven't designed a survey before, but I'd be hesitant to trust data gathered from a poorly designed survey.
Zanthe
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Zanthe »

Thank you all for the feedback and sorry for not getting back to you sooner! This last week was our "reading break" as they call it here in Canada, and I was away from my computer for a few days!

Yes, the link is from the University of Saskatchewan, where I am pursuing my undergrad degree. I am working directly with a professor from our HCI (Human Computer Interaction) lab on this survey. While she has done many of these before, it is my first time doing a survey, so I apologize for some of the issues.

I definitely agree about the ordering of the strongly -> disagree -> slightly. It was originally a 5 point scale that we modified to be a 7 point scale, and it looks like there is a an ordering error in the code. Thank you for pointing this out!

As for the wording of some of the questions, these were not written by me; they are all from different widely used scales that measure different things (loneliness, passion, social capital, etc.). Because we wanted to maintain the integrity of these scales, we did not want to change the wording of the questions, except to make it clear that they are intended to be answered about World of Warcraft specifically.

Again, thank you all for the feedback and I very much appreciate you taking the time to fill out the survey! I know that I am new to these forums, but I have been a WoW player since vanilla! I am just not super involved in the forum community, but a guildmate of mine suggested I post this here so I can hopefully get a wide range of participants. So again, thank you all!!