Personal rant: Identity Crisis lol

Dead_Jackrabbit
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Personal rant: Identity Crisis lol

Unread post by Dead_Jackrabbit »

just need a place to vent I suppose, but It feels so silly. I left WoW about a year ago in a rather huff because at some point I was just so frustrated with the game, it wasn't making me happy anymore so I quit. During that time and even now, I felt like a lot of that negativity was coming from my personal life and irl troubles.

Not knowing where my future was going, financial issues with tuition which ultimately left me putting college on hold while I work on myself, typical 20-year-old stuff. On top of that I was still in the closet. I had just come to terms with my sexuality as a lesbian after a heartbreaking break-up with my ex during the holidays. He broke up with me, but it was possibly the best thing to happen because it forced me to actually look at myself and ask if I was being true to who I was. I finally came out to my mother who is very supportive.

Shortly after that I realized I didn't want to go back to school. I was sick of tuition sucking up all of my money for a degree in a field that I don't even need a degree in. I found a new job, and I'm putting all of that energy I put into school now towards learning to drive and earning the money for a car.

I'm getting into new interests and coming back to gaming like I just shed an old skin. But now that I'm back, I find that I still have that lingering negativity about WoW. And I think it's because I grew so much in the past year since I stopped playing I no longer see myself in my main, Shelly. And unfortunately Shelly carried with her all the baggage that I used to hold on her.

The sadder part is, Shelly became who I was known as to my group of friends and online. When I'm in game, sometimes people will see me on Shelly and recognize me and it gives me some glee. Picking up a new main, now, after being known as the girl who held her breath for gnome hunters until she was blue in the face before Legion, feels like i'm cutting off more than just an in-game avatar. I want to move on to my draenei but I feel like by moving on from Shelly I'm leaving behind all the memories I made while I was on her and the identity I made for myself. But I also feel like that identity came with a lot of negativity I don't want to be associated with anymore.

Even now, I really really wish there was a way to change my petopia forum name. I guess I'm just stuck and could use some... advice? Maybe support?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Personal rant: Identity Crisis lol

Unread post by Wain »

I’m glad this has been a growing year for you, and while this probably sounds cliche, it is true that growing usually comes with some pains, but it sounds like you’ll be a much truer and happier person as a result :) And congrats on coming out 😊

And I can change your forum name easily. I’ve done it for Petopians quite a lot. Just let me know what name you want and assuming it’s not taken it’s yours :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Dead_Jackrabbit

Thanks so much! If you don't mind, I was thinking Dead_Jackrabbit, assuming it's not taken. If not then D_Jackrabbit
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Done! Shelley is now Dead_Jackrabbit. :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Dead_Jackrabbit

yay! thank youuu!