What are you reading right now?

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread post by Anyia »

SylviaDragon wrote:After years of reading and waiting with baited breath my journey through the Wheel of Time series has come to an end. My mom surprised me with the book when she stumbled across a paperback at walmart.
I gobbled that thing up so fast. So it makes it all the more disappointing when the ending can be summed up in one unenthusiastic "meh." :(
Really? I quite enjoyed it I must say, and thought the ending was surprisingly good. Except for one particular character* dying - that was totally wrong! /sad /rage
It was in dire need of an epilogue. In a world filled with so many tiny details, side stories, massive arcs and important figurehead spearheading the conclusion, the ending was a very vague, unfinished thing with more questions thaen answers.
An epilogue would have been great, I agree. But, there were so many different stories being told throughout the series, they'd really need another series just to conclude those...

Anyways, I am in need of more books to read now. Anyone have some suggestions? big books or long series don't intimidate me and I love sci-fi and fantasy stories. (if its got aliens or dragons that's a bonus.)
I'm quite a fan of Peter F Hamilton's works (http://www.peterfhamilton.co.uk/index.p ... bliography), as well as Richard Morgan (http://www.richardkmorgan.com/novels/). Pandora's Star and Altered Carbon respectively would be good starting points. Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy is a wonderful epic, except for the ending. It's well worth the read, just don't expect much from the ending.

Both authors do an excellent job at creating believable worlds and immersive stories, and it's hard to put down the books...

*) Name omitted to avoid spoilers.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

A Storm of Swords :D the third book in the Song of ice and fire series by George rr Martin. My favorite series by far. I've always loved anything medieval. And these books .. They're just so compelling and make you feel so strongly one way or the other. Whether that feeling is excitement, anger, sadness or disgust... More oft than not, all of the above xD

Have quite a few other series lined up but I'm savoring these books. With really good series like GoT or Harry potter etc., the last thing you want is for it to end too quickly. I want to read what happens next so badly but I've found slowing down a bit means less depression in the end lol.

Probably going to take a break from books when I'm done with this series though. Finishing something this epic, I can't enjoy another series immediately. Thank god George is still writing more books. The wait will be terrible though...

I ramble too much.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Jurz
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Scryers, Earthern Ring, Feathermoon

Unread post by Jurz »

I need to read GoT but every time I look at the books I think "Where am I going to find the time to read this much!?" x.x

Sig drawn by the amazing Lupis! and avatar drawn by the wonderful Senna!

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Jurz wrote:I need to read GoT but every time I look at the books I think "Where am I going to find the time to read this much!?" x.x
Haha, I know what you mean. But I can't stress enough how worth it it is :D At least in my opinion. It can be a bit... Vulgar I guess. Without going into details lol. Though you might've already heard some things. But I just love it. Even if it might take you a .. While to finish them.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

SylviaDragon wrote:I am in need of more books to read now. Anyone have some suggestions? big books or long series don't intimidate me and I love sci-fi and fantasy stories. (if its got aliens or dragons that's a bonus.)
Hmm...books with dragons that can take human form:
Hartman's Seraphina has highly rational dragons in an uneasy truce with humans.
Sagara's Cast in Shadow is the first book of a series about a cop from the wrong side of the canal in a city with six different races, ruled by dragons.

aliens:
The series by Karen Traviss that begins with City of Pearl has multiple alien species in conflict over a planet.
I like a lot of Cherryh's work, but I especially love the atevi from the series that starts with Foreigner.

Oh, and Swanwick has an interesting take on dragons in a couple of novels: The Iron Dragon's Daughter (out of print) and The Dragons of Babel.
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

Attempting to read George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones, The first book in the Song of Ice and Fire series.

It's gonna take me a while, lol.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Oh, I just recently finished Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin.

A Song of Ice And Fire had been my favourite books for years, but for some reason I hadn't checked out his other works. I was in the book store a couple weeks ago and I noticed Fevre Dream - a vampire novel. I wish I'd known sooner that he'd written a book like that! It was right up my alley.

I absolutely loved it, very reminiscent of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. If you're a fan of that sort of genre I'd definitely recommend checking it out. :)
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

Vephriel wrote:Oh, I just recently finished Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin.

A Song of Ice And Fire had been my favourite books for years, but for some reason I hadn't checked out his other works. I was in the book store a couple weeks ago and I noticed Fevre Dream - a vampire novel. I wish I'd known sooner that he'd written a book like that! It was right up my alley.

I absolutely loved it, very reminiscent of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. If you're a fan of that sort of genre I'd definitely recommend checking it out. :)
Oooh! Sounds intriguing! I'm new to the GoT books but I'm a huge, HUGE fan of the HBO series and of Anne Rice's Interview with a Vampire (both the movie and the book). Sounds like something I'd very much enjoy.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Torachi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg, Ysera, Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Torachi »

The Silver Gryphon - Part 3 of the Mage Wars Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon. I can't even remember how many times I've read this trilogy, all I know is that we had to order it brand new because my original copies were falling apart from being read too much. I blame Skandranon. Stupid, vain gryphon.

GM of <Darkness Dawning>
Casual Gaming - LGBT Friendly - Furry Friendly
VICTORY!
(Signature made by me)

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Been reading the manga series "Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Different Story" which focus on Mami and Kyouko as main characters rather than Madoka. I always liked Mami and was sad what they did in the series but Ive finished the first two and now have to wait for the third to be published eee!

Also plan to start "A Feast for Crows" in the Game of Thrones series but haven't had the time yet (and its too massive to take on the bus to work lol!!)

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Just finished The girl on the cliff by Lucinda Riley .. it made me cry.. not sure if its good or bad

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

It's been ages since I posted anything, but as I know how much many Petopians love dragons, I just had to share that I'm currently reading Walton's Tooth and Claw which is basically a Jane Austen novel with dragons instead of humans. I'm enjoying it so far!
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I'm not reading this one yet, but have put in a library system request for it: Rocannon's World, the debut novel of Ursula Le Guin. Classic sword and spaceship SF, but the reason I'm mentioning it here is that I found out that the riding mounts on this planet, which are some kind of cat/horse hybrid, are called Windsteeds. Obviously, the wow mount looks very different, but I wonder if it started out as an homage to Le Guin?
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Started reading War Crimes by Christie Golden. I really enjoyed her book on Jaina Tides of War so this one looks to be good too :)

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Castile wrote:Started reading War Crimes by Christie Golden. I really enjoyed her book on Jaina Tides of War so this one looks to be good too :)
I really hated that book. But I wont go on why I hate it XD
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I picked up a book called His Majesty's Dragon, which turns out to be the first in a series called Temeraire, and I'm completely hooked on it. We were at the bookstore and I was debating over what to get because I was in the mood for something new but didn't know what, so my boyfriend randomly points to something on a shelf because it had a dragon on the cover. I took it out to read the summary, not really expecting much, but it grabbed my interested almost immediately, and within moments a random passerby paused, seeing me holding it, and gave his recommendation on the series. Feeling like it was somewhat fated I purchased it and have already gone through half of the book while on vacation. I have a feeling I'll be picking up the next novels in the series very soon. I'm not very good at summarizing, but essentially it takes place in an alternate reality of our world where dragons exist and take part in actual wars that happened and it involves ships and airborne combat and a pretty fascinating relationship between riders and their dragons. That doesn't do it justice but anyways, it's very enjoyable so far and I'm so glad my boyfriend happened to point it out to me. :)
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I got the K-On! Collage book from the library. It's good and like the others the 4 panel format makes it for easy reading.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Vephriel wrote:I picked up a book called His Majesty's Dragon, which turns out to be the first in a series called Temeraire, and I'm completely hooked on it. We were at the bookstore and I was debating over what to get because I was in the mood for something new but didn't know what, so my boyfriend randomly points to something on a shelf because it had a dragon on the cover. I took it out to read the summary, not really expecting much, but it grabbed my interested almost immediately, and within moments a random passerby paused, seeing me holding it, and gave his recommendation on the series. Feeling like it was somewhat fated I purchased it and have already gone through half of the book while on vacation. I have a feeling I'll be picking up the next novels in the series very soon. I'm not very good at summarizing, but essentially it takes place in an alternate reality of our world where dragons exist and take part in actual wars that happened and it involves ships and airborne combat and a pretty fascinating relationship between riders and their dragons. That doesn't do it justice but anyways, it's very enjoyable so far and I'm so glad my boyfriend happened to point it out to me. :)
*makes a note*
You're like me :lol: if it has a dragon on the cover, it has peeked my interest :D

I'm rereading the Eragon series, if that counts for anything?
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Just finished reading " To Late to say Goodbye" by Ann Rule. First time ever i read a book from that genre and i liked it alot.

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Vephriel wrote:I picked up a book called His Majesty's Dragon, which turns out to be the first in a series called Temeraire, and I'm completely hooked on it. We were at the bookstore and I was debating over what to get because I was in the mood for something new but didn't know what, so my boyfriend randomly points to something on a shelf because it had a dragon on the cover. I took it out to read the summary, not really expecting much, but it grabbed my interested almost immediately, and within moments a random passerby paused, seeing me holding it, and gave his recommendation on the series. Feeling like it was somewhat fated I purchased it and have already gone through half of the book while on vacation. I have a feeling I'll be picking up the next novels in the series very soon. I'm not very good at summarizing, but essentially it takes place in an alternate reality of our world where dragons exist and take part in actual wars that happened and it involves ships and airborne combat and a pretty fascinating relationship between riders and their dragons. That doesn't do it justice but anyways, it's very enjoyable so far and I'm so glad my boyfriend happened to point it out to me. :)
Ahhhh! I love that series. I think it is my new favorite. I decided to look into it when another petopian mentioned it and i was hooked within the first few pages. I think i only have one or two more books to read in the series. I just picked up Crucible of Gold last night which seems to be off to a strong start so far. Fair warning though, the quality goes down a bit midway through. I wish i had skipped tongue of serpents since almost nothing but eating and flying happened during the whole book. other than that i have been loving the series.

not sure if i mentioned these books before but another interesting read was a series of books called dragon champion, dragon avenger, & dragon outcast. they are supposed to be a trilogy but each book is written in a way that makes them all feel like a stand alone story and thus can be red in any order. this is also really good since from what i understand, the quality takes a huge nosedive after these three books, so you can enjoy the three best books without feeling like you left the story unfinished.
they are about three different siblings who are separated from each other (each book follows a single sibling) when their nest is raided. the whole story is from the dragon's point of view and you just follow them as they grow up, avenge loved ones, learn to live in the world of men and find mates. the dragons are well written and the humanoid races were quite interesting as well.