What are you reading right now?

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread post by Karathyriel »

I do like Tad Williams "Dragobone Chair" but I can't get myself to read "Otherland". It's so weird!

I really would have loved to read the "Chronicles of Narnia" but then something awful happened: They made it into a movie! And a movie it is I still shudder with disgust when I think about it. That movie was so awful, so stupid that I can't bring myself to touch one of those books.

You remember the scene when they've been chased over that frozen lake and it turns out to be Santa who was after them? I mean, WTF?!? What is Santa doing in a fantasy world? OK, it may be hard to think of some way the heroes get their special weapons but honestly, Santa coming along and giving them as presents with a "Hohoho"?!? C'mon! You just can't be serious!
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Santa gives them the weapons in the books too. I found it a bit weird.

Eragon by Christopher Paolini.
It's written in an odd way at some places, but I like it nonetheless.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

That's because the author was still a kid (age 14, I believe) when he wrote that first book.
Didn't turn me on, either...
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

A lot people don't like Eragon. The plot is, to be fair, very classical, but to be fair he was 14 and published it at 19. And don't throw shoes at me for saying this, but if I had to choose between Eragon series, (the 2nd I hated...) and Twilight, I would go Eragon in a heartbeat.

*ducks under the table, hiding from shoes.*

And did you ever noticed Eragoin is only Dragon except one letter down the chain, E?
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Yup, one of the first things I noticed. It's like HAL from 2001. It's IBM shifted one letter.

And yes... Twilight sucks...
*Throws shoes at self*

How can anybody like that?

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Darkharvest
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Runetotem, Nesingwary

Unread post by Darkharvest »

Currently on "Soul of the Fire" one of Terry Goodkinds books in the Sword of Truth series.
"Don't take life to seriously, you'll never get out alive."

"He's a Theodore Roosevelt, speak softly and carry a loud obnoxious wasp." BRK
Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

Unread post by Dulanie »

I love the Sword of Truth series and absolutely loathe the TV series they made based on it. >.<

What I am reading right now is the "Pawn of Prophecy" by David Eddings. It is the first book in the Belgariad series.
We don't die. We multiply.
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

There you picked up something epic!

I so love the books and read them in german and english more often than I can remember.
If you like it, don't miss the Malloreon Saga, which tells a story several years after the Belgariad and uses the same characters!
Jadvya
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard US

Unread post by Jadvya »

I'm almost done with A Lion Among Men by Gregory Maguire, and as soon as I'm done with that it's onto The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne.

And to add onto the ASoIaF discussion on the last page, Daenerys is my favorite viewpoint character, with Jon in second place. Dany's just a badass.
Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

Unread post by Dulanie »

I have had both series for years, Karathyriel. This is baout the 5th time reading them. :lol: If you liked them you should try his other dual series that is similar. They are called "The Elenium" and "The Tamuli" They are both 3 book series.
We don't die. We multiply.
Ungoro
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Shattered Halls PVP EU

Unread post by Ungoro »

I was at school the other day (It was a half-day, so the lesson i was in was just a relax and lay-back class) and i looked in my bag and discovered a book that some of my parents' friends let me have. The book is called Serpent and is by Cive Cussler, it's quite an interesting novel. The only problem being is that i stated to read it in Spain last summer when i recieved the book, but then put it down for a few months and i can only vaguely remember what i've read in the book.

Don't get me started on Eragon. I love the Eragon series but i have this one friend, no matter what it is he only ever looks at the bad parts of anything and everything. I can't remember why he didn't like Eragon but he loves to read manga and even with the manga's he reads he only ever see's the faults in it...It's quite annoying as he always disses games, books among various other things.

Does anyone have Wizards First Rule by Terry Goodkind? I got the book from the same people that gave me the Clive Cussler novel. I mainly chose the book as it's a fantasy novel and i can't wait to read it without getting interrupted by any other books (I always seem to pick up 2-3 different books and read one, then another and it's all just a mess).

Ungoro of Khadgar

<Disturbing The Peace>

http://dragcave.net/user/Ungoro

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Wizard's First Rule is the first novel of a series called The Sword of Truth. Personally, they're my second favourite books ever after A Song of Ice and Fire.

If you read the first one and love it, there's 10 more afterwards. :D
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Anyone ever read The First Law by Joe Abercrombie?
Three novels called The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged and Last Argument Of Kings.

Absolutely fabulous! Check it out!
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

This is going to get me into trouble, I know, but I loathe Terry Goodkind. Absolutely loathe.

And I can't read David Eddings either, although in his case it's not his fault so much as the lecher who got me reading them. (Okay, at 16 I looked reasonably mature, but once you know that I'm 16 and you're 30+, you'd think you'd back off a bit. *sigh*) Anyway.

Connie Willis' new book in her time-travel universe, "Blackout", came out this week. These books are not a series so much as a loosely-connected group of characters centered around the time-traveling history department at Oxford University in 2060 or so. They are, against all odds, very good sci-fi romantic comedies. You can start anywhere, but I'd recommend "To Say Nothing of the Dog".

Connie Willis also writes amazing sci-fi drama. Check out "Passage", about a scientific researcher looking at near-death experiences to find drugs to restart the heart; and "Lincoln's Dreams", a much sadder work about a girl who seems to be dreaming about General Lee's dreams from the American Civil War.
Vephriel

Heh, yeah I know a lot of people dislike Terry Goodkind and the way he writes, moreso because he's a very opinionated person and injects that into his characters sometimes. (A few of the middle books in Sword of Truth do this a bit too much for my taste). Overall I still really enjoy the books as a whole. ^^ I can totally understand not liking them though. :)
Suzi
Realm: Elune US, Nesingwary US

Unread post by Suzi »

I was given Warcraft: War of the Ancients Archive by Richard A. Knaak for Christmas but didn't start reading it until the other day. I recently finished the first book called The Well of Eternity and I'm about to start The Demon Soul. I thought the first book was quite good, although it does take me a while to get into his novels.

Tivoni of the Petopians on Nesingwary-US

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

With the warcraft novels, there is one little problem.
They are written by 2nd class authors, as most licensed novels are.
But I read all of them. I'm a nerd, ya know? :lol:
Vephriel

Karathyriel wrote:With the warcraft novels, there is one little problem.
They are written by 2nd class authors, as most licensed novels are.
But I read all of them. I'm a nerd, ya know? :lol:
Haha, yeah pretty much. They really are rather amateur compared to what I usually read, but I just love learning all the Warcraft lore that I can so I read them anyways. :3
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

I love Rise of the Horde, just finished it for the third time.

Jakkra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow US

Unread post by Jakkra »

I'm currently listening to The Magicians by Lev Grossman. I say listening, because I borrowed the audiobook version off my library's website, since the actual book was checked out. My sister asked me to join her online book club, and that was the book they chose. It's interesting enough, but I can't say I care too much for the character so far.