im a bit sad

Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

im a bit sad

Unread post by Zangor »

so recently my computer has been freezing up for about 40 seconds at random intervals and it started to give me blue screens....i tried everything i could to fix it but nothing worked.
at the moment i have none of my files because i opted to just go ahead to and restore the system to factory defaults. this should get rid of any past problems since they didnt appear to be caused by the actual computer but rather what i did with files and stuff.
i guess this time ill have to be more careful about what i download and manage my memory and stuff better. i guess it could have been worse and i could have fried the computer or broken it some other way.

do you guys think i did the best thing i could do? program files can be replaced computers arent that easy.
Mr. Perfect
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Re: im a bit sad

Unread post by Mr. Perfect »

That's a brave outlook on life. :) I generally feel the opposite. The PC is replaceable, even perishable(they're worthless so fast), but my files are not. If a part goes bad, there's always a dozen to choose from at Newegg. If I loose years worth of screenshots and such, there's no getting them back. After reading your story, maybe I should get one of those external hard drives and start backing things up more regularly. :oops:
Mr. Perfect - A nickname fraught with peril.
Moore
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Venture Co.

Unread post by Moore »

I bought an external harddrive specifically to copy and paste WoW to and from because I reformat so many times. That and my music. That's all I ever really keep backed up.

Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Zangor »

well aside from vista's usual unresponsive programs......i havent had a freeze in 8 hours so its good
today im gonna be updating the video card again and reinstalling WoW so it should be a fun day
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Zangor »

okay so i didnt fix it and im starting to suspect something inside the computer is failing.
now i get blue screens after a freeze and after rebooting it gives me a message that tells me it failed to find a boot driver or something like that.
been reading online and it looks like it may be the video driver thats gone bad. whatever the case i may not be able to play WoW for a while until i figure out the problem and fix it
Mustafah
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU

Unread post by Mustafah »

blue screen.. I had that thing when I played Assassin's Creed. I think its a problem with your CPU. My whole computer was pretty strong then except my CPU. I had the same problem but it happend for me only once.

Lots of thanks for TygerDarkstorm for the awesome sig!! =D

Mustafah wrote:Playable Pandaren with racial camel mount!!!
Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

I had a similar occurrence with my pc many months back. The warranty had just ran out. I was mortified,but I called the geek squad guys and they came to my house and managed to fix it. It cost a good bit about 2-300 dollars. I'd suggest having someone take a look at your pc if you're knowledgeable about these things you can probably find someone to do it for a much more reasonable price.
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Zangor »

well im borrowing a laptop from my mom so at least i can watch videos and post on the forums.
i still wish this wasnt a problem that id need money to fix... my family isnt so well off.
mom and stepdad dont have jobs so i wont have the money to fix whatever is wrong with the computer
Mearra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon mainly, KilJaeden, Auchindoun.

Unread post by Mearra »

I'm really sorry about your PC, I can understand the stress. I personally just feel so helpless when things go wrong with my computer, though my significant other works with computers and usually fixes whatever is wrong, but until he gets home, I just feel like someone severed off a limb. Dramatic I know :P.
Course it depends on the severity of the issue, but blue screens definitely upset me, particularly if I know I haven't been downloading anything etc or done anything different from usual. I just sit there going "I don't understand!!!!"..then as soon as he gets home "Fix it!".

He'd never let me call GeekSquad, he's a bit paranoid, something about thinking that they spy into your computer etc etc etc.

Recently my best friends computer had been bluescreening on him, he doesn't have much money, so sending it to get it fixed wouldn't be an option. After a conversation on the phone with my bf, it turned out it was actually something as simple as his computer was just over heating.
My friend has 2 fluffy cats.....and as much as I love his cats, they are the bane of his computer. Suffice to say he's been really bad about cleaning his tower recently, and it turned out there was enough computer usual junk that builds up in there..along with a ton of cat hair that his fan couldn't move at all >.<.

Ever since he's cleaned it out it's been running smoothly.

I guess that's a perk to having parrots instead of cats, their feathers don't usually get in there. ;)
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Zangor »

im wondering if it could be my RAM at the moment my computer is telling me it has like 2k mb of ram and i dont think thats a good number. also the computer worked great until about 3 days ago and it seems to act up alot when im runing lots of stuff. also doing a complete system restore to factory defaults didnt fix the problem so i know its something within the system.
right now i have it on and im waiting to see if it blue screens again so i can read the error message for a clearer picture
Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

Could be a over heating problem. Having vista doesn't help either.
Felidire
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary(A/H), Wyrmrest Accord(H)

Unread post by Felidire »

Bleh, that sucks, I hate it when that happens...

I always hook up at least one extra HDD on RAID or as a slave drive when I build a new computer. Like instead of making a new folder on the desktop for music, I make the new folder in the U: Drive (lol, umbreon fan?) and then place a shortcut to that file on the desktop. That way, if the computer kicks the bucket you can just nuke it without the worry of losing anything important. You can just unplug the second hard drive before rolling back via Systems Restore, and you shouldn't lose anything that you may have installed or downloaded into that drive. X3

I mean when you have your WoW UI configured all nicely, tons of music, loads of art-stuffs and files that you've carried from computer-to-computer for the last 12 years, it becomes increasingly difficult and inconvenient to have to replace it all! You probably did the best you could do right now, but if you notice stuff like this happening frequently it's always good to take steps early to lessen the potential impacts later on. xD

|Felidire| - |Harkoa| - dA - |Kibblepaws| - |Tiril|
B/W: Feli // 0347 2599 7931

Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

If you can start it at all you could try running a virus scan in safemode. When I got a screen like that it turned out my MacAfee which I had uninstalled properly according to MacAfee.... Had left a bunch of driver's on my system that clashed with my new anti virus software and had to be removed. Good luck with it, I hope things get better.
Mr. Perfect
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Er... :shock: Did it say couldn't find boot driver or boot drive? If it's "driver" then it's software, if it's "drive" without an s then it's going to be your C: drive going funny. You'll want to do a disk check, just in case. In Windows Explorer, right click on the C: drive and pick properties. Click the "Tools" tab and click "Check Now" in the section labeled "Error checking". On the little window that pops up, check "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". It will require that you reboot and will perform the scan when it's starting back up. It should look like this:

Alternatively, if you suspect the memory(are you not supposed to have 2GB of ram?) you can check with Memtest 86+. Just burn it to a CD, put it in the drive and let the PC start up from the disk. It will loop through eight different memory tests, reporting any problems or giving you good a good "Pass" for every time it can complete the eight tests without issue. It loops continuously, so if you get a good pass or two, just remove the CD and reboot.
Attachments
Scan Disk.png
Scan Disk.png (53.28 KiB) Viewed 2868 times
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Zangor »

well now it wont even load past the windows screen.....all i get is a black screen

also iv noticed whenever it freezes that something sounds like the fan restarting and something making a sorta buzz/click at least four or so times right before a freeze.
Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

Have you checked to make sure the fans are moving properly and are not seizing up ?
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Zangor »

yep opened it up to dust it as soon as i got home. all fans spin and work normally.
its also started doing disk checks whenever i start it. then i get a black screen after the vista logo then i have to shut the computer off by holding the power button.

im really starting to think my hard drive is dying. iv had the computer for 3 years but its much older than that and before i got it my mom used to always leave it running at night and when she wasnt on it.....which cant have been good for it.
Mr. Perfect
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

The click of death! :o Ten to one says you've got yourself a dead hard drive.

They're just about giving hard drives away these days though. Newegg has a grand selection of Seagates. The current price leader is the 250GB drive for $44.99 - $10 promo code(till Jan 31st) and with free shipping leaves you with a grand total of $34.99.
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Zangor »

yea if it is indeed my hard drive failing then it would explain why windows seems to be failing too....OS are stored in the hard drive right?
Mr. Perfect
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Yeah, afraid so.