Locks of Love [WARNING, IMAGE HEAVY]

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Locks of Love [WARNING, IMAGE HEAVY]

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

So! Anyone heard of Locks of Love? Long story short, they accept donated hair and turn them into hairpieces for children with illnesses that cause them to lose hair.

I've been growing my hair out for years to donate to this cause. Today, I finally cut it all off and sent it in! I thought I'd share the pics with you all.

I started growing my hair out about six years ago. It jokingly began with my mother "complaining" about how fast my hair grew, and yet it was still very thick. She joked that she'd want my hair. So finally I said, "Fine! If you'd want my hair, then maybe somebody else will too. I'll give it away!" So I started growing my hair out long, which I previously hated! Only a few months in, I was half dared to see just how long I could grow it, and see if I could get it down to an absurd length, like my knees.

Well, it wouldn't go that far. It got to my waist and stopped. For the past two years, I haven't been able to get it to grow any farther, no matter what advice I take. So I decided, it's time for it to go! So here's a before pic, just so you know how long it was:

Headed down to the mall to get it chopped off. The two girls there were very helpful and were even willing to take pictures of the cutting for me as it happened. Here's a few (there were tons more though):

And then...it wasn't attached anymore!

Afterwards the girl neatened up my new, much shorter hairstyle. I prettymuch gave her free reign with my head, as I really know nothing about hair, despite browsing hairstyle sites for the past week. It's longer in the front and shorter in the back.

It feels so weird! My head feels so light now. It took me only ten seconds to brush my hair, instead of the usual 5-20. I will not go through an entire bottle of shampoo and conditioner in 2-3 weeks. People will stop complaining about me shedding on their sofas, beds, chairs, rugs, and in their shower drains. I won't need to worry about tying it up or back before I do anything artsy.

For the finale, the NEW ME!

I donated 18 inches of braid today. I feel very proud of myself :)

~VelkynKarma
Attachments
before.jpg
before.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 1099 times

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Saturo

Re: Locks of Love [WARNING, IMAGE HEAVY]

Unread post by Saturo »

What a nice cause. And yay more economically efficient shampooing!

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Wow, what an awesome thing to do! :D You look great with the shorter hair too, the new cut looks very nice! ^_^
Darkharvest
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Runetotem, Nesingwary

Unread post by Darkharvest »

Yes I've heard of it a great cause. I usually see clips in are paper about kids or teachers and what not donating to them.
"Don't take life to seriously, you'll never get out alive."

"He's a Theodore Roosevelt, speak softly and carry a loud obnoxious wasp." BRK
Dakonic
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Baeglum

Unread post by Dakonic »

Thats very nice of you! Definatley for a good cause, my uncle donated 13 inches o.0
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Dakonic
Formally known as "celestial88"
Image Image Image Image
VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

celestial88 wrote:Thats very nice of you! Definatley for a good cause, my uncle donated 13 inches o.0

Ooh, grats to him. It really is a good feeling when you hand it in :D

I couldn't believe how heavy it was! When I held it in those last pictures I was astonished I put up with it attached to my head as long as I did XD

~VelkynKarma

Help my Dragons

Jadvya
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard US

Unread post by Jadvya »

That's what my best friend did--she never cut her hair until she was about 14, so it was about halfway down her thighs, then she had it cut to just above her shoulders and donated it as well; wish I knew how many inches in total. The new cut looks great on you!
Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Here in Montreal they have annual radio-thons on a couple of the radio stations - they'll go to malls and people's work places and 'shave to save' (I guess that "save" part is because they try to raise funds for cancer research while doing the radio-thons). It's awesome!

I agree with Veph, your short style really flatters you. As does the gesture. ;) Great effort for a great cause. :)

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Kamalia
Realm: Kael'Thas, Nesingwary

Unread post by Kamalia »

How ironic - just as I decide to start growing my hair out after four years of wearing it short. :lol: It's wonderful you donated to a good cause! Must have felt strange holding your chopped braid of hair.

Chibi-Jen signature done by Sat, all other sigs and avatar done by me.

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Kamalia wrote:How ironic - just as I decide to start growing my hair out after four years of wearing it short. :lol: It's wonderful you donated to a good cause! Must have felt strange holding your chopped braid of hair.
It is totally worth doing :D

And yeah, it was a very surreal experience. It wasn't alive of course, but all the same, I was holding a part of myself in my hand and yet strangely, it wasn't a part of me anymore. It was very...weird. VERY weird.

Also, thank you all for the compliments on the new cut ^_^ I must admit I was a bit nervous about how the new look would pan out, as I've had long hair for six years, but I feel much more confident about it now haha!

~VelkynKarma

Help my Dragons

Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Unread post by Aleu »

Funny thing... I recently cut 12 inches off my hair yesterday. XD I need it cut for a cosplay outfit for Anime Boston in April and my moms friend is a hair dresser. I need to cut it to my shoulders and she suggested I send it into Locks of Love. I RARELY if EVER donate to non animal causes, but I said what the hell. Wasn't going to use it for anything else anyways. XD

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Oh really? Wow! Yeah if anybody is going to get a lot of hair cut I ALWAYS suggest they donate it. A lot of them have never heard of the cause before. But like you said...it's not like it'd be used for anything else. Might as well :)

~VelkynKarma

Help my Dragons

Dragonpuff
Haiku Master
Realm: Duskwood (US)
Location: On an undisclosed island that is being shredded by giant boss fights

Unread post by Dragonpuff »

Wow, that is alot of braid. XD

I think what you did is a wonderful thing, especially with so much! 18 inches is awesome! Not top mention that the short hair looks really good on you too!
Around half a year ago, a friend of mine did something similar, but she donated her hair to the Cancer Society, and shaved her head after the ponytail came off. It was fun to watch it grow back!

I'm actually attempting to grow my hair out as long as I can right now too. It always stopped just after going past my shoulders as a kid, so I went to short hair for a long time after that. Now, I want to see if I can get it any longer. Maybe once it stops again, I'll have enough to donate too! :D
/Now has a real, actual goal

Taz'dingu of the Petopians Guild, Nesingwary Server

Here there be Dragons (and Eggs)

Skyshot
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Fizzcrank US

Unread post by Skyshot »

Your hair was about as long as my hair is right now. I was sitting here thinking mine was well due for a trim just the other day... I think I've just been inspired. :D
I might just have to donate my own here when I go to get it cut.

I also agree with everyone saying that the new cut looks really great on you. =)

Edit: I also just noticed your shirt.. I love what it says. xD
Last edited by Skyshot on Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

<My whelps - My Dragons>
"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept."
-Calvin and Hobbes

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Mmm, I thought about doing this awhile back. Unfortunately my hair grows into a natural, bushy afro. Minimal caring (washing, combing, and that's about it) will cause it to grow like that. It get's ridiculously bothersome... but it is fun... I could never get it long enough to donate without actually ending up like Cousin Itt.

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Dragonpuff wrote: I'm actually attempting to grow my hair out as long as I can right now too. It always stopped just after going past my shoulders as a kid, so I went to short hair for a long time after that. Now, I want to see if I can get it any longer. Maybe once it stops again, I'll have enough to donate too! :D
/Now has a real, actual goal
Yeah, it can be tough to get it to go any farther. Getting it trimmed regularly (I was always told every 6 weeks or thereabouts) and certain vitamins supposedly help, but even so hair eventually just gives up and won't go any farther. The waist was apparently the mark for me.

And it's great to have a goal! It feels really good to know you're doing it for somebody else :D I've always wanted to donate to charities and such, but I'm in college and money is not really something I have. It's nice to know I can help out in other ways :) Do it, it feels great!
Your hair was about as long as my hair is right now. I was sitting here thinking mine was well due for a trim just the other day... I think I've just been inspired. :D
I might just have to donate my own here when I go to get it cut.
Bahaha...I love inspiring people :D Try it! It feels really great to get it all off, and if your hair is as long as mine was it'll be a bit of a relief too. You don't realize how heavy it is until you're holding it in your hand!
Mmm, I thought about doing this awhile back. Unfortunately my hair grows into a natural, bushy afro.
Afro, huh? Neat! Yeah that might be hard to donate XD You can pull curly hair straight to meet the minimum requirement of 10 inches, but that's still a lot to grow for that kind of hair.

~VelkynKarma

Help my Dragons

Tilo
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, Cenarius, & Ysera-US

Unread post by Tilo »

Way late in the reply... that's great Velkyn :) :hug:

I too donated my hair to this as well...

A few years ago my stepdad went through cancer, he'd had it for several years, well in september 09 he went through his 2nd round of chemotherapy & lost all his hair; along with my two brothers I, for my stepdad, shaved my head & sent my hair to Locks for Love; thankfully, he was able to see my gesture before he was called away from us too soon.

Before:
Image Image

After:

I love my hair very short unfortunately... the husband has a different view, however my hair now, is long enough I can tie it all back without any clips, so guess that's ok...

I also had no problems shaving my head, as this is the third time I've done it, though not for the same reason, & for the cause' I'd do it again too.
Last edited by Tilo on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪
Signature Kamoodle []
Siliverin
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nazgrel, Nesingwary, Dalaran

Unread post by Siliverin »

*hugs* MAJOR kudo points to you vel *hugs* what you did is wonderful :) i have heard of the cause, a friend of mine cut her hair and donated it.. though i am jelous of how long your hair was... mine NEVER grows :(
Sig by Kurenio!
Anansi wrote:But OJC is just Old Jumper Cliff, a cranky old crazy guy who hops around making grunting noises to scare away children and small animals. Not sure if he's tamable, probably not.
Siliverin
Credit to Seilahyn and Kurenio for the avatars
Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Monastary, Sentinels

Unread post by Palladiamorsdeus »

Ayup, I grow my hair out to donate to them as often as possible. I figure it's just hair, and they need it a lot more then I do...

Thanks go to Saturo for the signature.
Moore
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Venture Co.

Unread post by Moore »

I remember cutting my hair after it was long, and having phantom hair syndrome, I was so used to having it long I'd instinctively move my head a certain way and expect my hair to go too, but it was gone :(