Battle for Azeroth creatures

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Battle for Azeroth creatures

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote:Major update on the Anklyodons; they got hit by the grammar police. Their names are now Ankylodon. Hooray!

Also, still not tameable. Not hooray!
Sweet! :) I'm glad I used the corrected name.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

So, Jeremy tweeted that the "secret leak" of the week is tameable horse2s / scythehorns / dreamrunners.

https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/995093760882106368

It's hard to be sure if he's trolling or not, but the possibility is exciting. He also stated that they're not the only thing, which makes it sound like he's treating it seriously.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Very interesting! I look forward to seeing whether or not it is true :)
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

If this is a troll, I hope he is ready for a sh*tstorm! Ain't no amount of leeks gonna help him :lol:

He also said theres at least one new pet family and if we can guess it. That makes me wonder. If I were to guess, it would have to be pterrodax/skyscreamers. Too many dinosaurs for us not to get them, and they dont really fit anywhere now.

But then again, dreamrunners dont fit anywhere either. I guess they could put them in stags or goats but thats weird. The Ankylodons and Sabertusks dont fit anywhere either, and I would say they were shoe-ins for tameable.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

My guess is a Pterrodax/Skyscreamer family and a Equine family. He said at least one, so that leaves the possibility of two+ families. Frogs are also a possibility. Saurolisks and Ankylodons could join with Scalehides. The Direhorn family could be renamed and expanded to include more dinosaurs. Krolusks would need their own family, since none of the existing families really fit them. Ravasaurs and Saurids could be in the Raptor family. Sabertusks could join with a general dinorsaur family or have their own, though the Cat family wouldn't be the worst fit for them. I'm doubtful that Crawgs and Blood Ticks will be tamable. Maybe Brutosaurs, but imo they would look rather odd being small. Even the babies in the wild are much larger than the PC.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Valnaaros wrote:My guess is a Pterrodax/Skyscreamer family and a Equine family. He said at least one, so that leaves the possibility of two+ families. Frogs are also a possibility. Saurolisks and Ankylodons could join with Scalehides. The Direhorn family could be renamed and expanded to include more dinosaurs. Krolusks would need their own family, since none of the existing families really fit them. Ravasaurs and Saurids could be in the Raptor family. Sabertusks could join with a general dinorsaur family or have their own, though the Cat family wouldn't be the worst fit for them. I'm doubtful that Crawgs and Blood Ticks will be tamable. Maybe Brutosaurs, but imo they would look rather odd being small. Even the babies in the wild are much larger than the PC.
Excellent analysis. I think with Rylaks being merged into Chimeras, Blizzard is consolidating pet families where possible. Your predictions seem to match this trend perfectly.

I just hope and pray that we get Pterosaurs this expansion.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Thanks! :)

Pterrodaxes are a given, I think. Though, if they aren't made tamable, there is no doubt that there'll be a riot since this is the perfect xpac for them and the new ones look great.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Valnaaros wrote:Thanks! :)

Pterrodaxes are a given, I think. Though, if they aren't made tamable, there is no doubt that there'll be a riot since this is the perfect xpac for them and the new ones look great.
I think so too. I have no info to that effect, but it seems likely they'd add them in this expansion.

Oddly, the Un'goro ones were still using the old model when I checked recently. I thought they'd be updated by now. They're a far better update match than many things they've already updated.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Possibly an oversight, something they haven't gotten to yet, or they don't intend to update them (which would be a bit odd).
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah, the model is a lot like the old bat one - very low poly and kind of weirdly-angled. I'm also surprised they didn't replace the original bats with that newer model. I guess because at the time they decided the skins didn't match well enough, though that no longer seems to be an obstacle.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

I don't want the Un'goro pterrodaxes updated to the new models. I love the old bat styles, and I would totally use one if I could. I loved those guys back when I first stepped into Ungoro. If they update them with the new bat skeleton, I'd be happy, but I don't want that sweet batsaur removed.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Even with the newer ones, I wish they could figure out how to make bat models without that awkward gap where the wings meet the body. >< It's always bothered me.

The horse tweet is exciting though! :D Ahhh I hope I can tame unicorns, and I hope they might put a rare somewhere with the Lucid Nightmare skin. Like Quiv said, it would be kind of hard to take that back or go 'lol jk' now that he's let those words out, so it seems like a safe bet to me.

I'm also leaning toward pterrodaxes being a shoe-in, I'm interested to see what else we might get though. Diemetradons feel like they should be added to a family somewhere for sure.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I forgot about Bees. Most likely they'll be made tamable, either as their own family or added to an expanded and renamed Wasp family.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Valnaaros wrote:I forgot about Bees. Most likely they'll be made tamable, either as their own family or added to an expanded and renamed Wasp family.
Yeah, Wasps already include fireflies, so there's no reason they couldn't accommodate bees too. I'm not sure what you'd call them as a generic name. Dreadstings?
Aroim
Pet Finder

Unread post by Aroim »

Oh my...
If the "unicorns" become tameable.. °__°, I need more stable slots ... D:
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Yeah, maybe Dreadstings or Stingers. I don't think there is really a good broad name that could be applied to Wasps, Bees, and Fireflies.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Hymenoptera is the scientific order name that covers RL bees and wasps, but I really don't think that would work out in WoW
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

If this turns out to be true, I'm kickin' a lot of pets out of my stables. Oh man, I so want the unicorns. So so so so bad. I will even forgive them for a certain some one going darkside, crazy and for the lack of my dragon mount due to rng insanity.

"I like to watch them. They fill me with joy. The first I felt it I thought I was going to die. I said to the Red Bull I must have them, all of them, all there are. For nothing makes me happy but their shining and their grace."
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Teigan wrote:Hymenoptera is the scientific order name that covers RL bees and wasps, but I really don't think that would work out in WoW
Yeah, there'd be constant obvious jokes by 15 year olds :P
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Unofficial family page for horned steeds (which is what I'm calling them until we see an official name):
http://www.wow-petopia.com/family.php?id=hornedsteed
Many of them are unused colours. A bunch of them were added later, when they made new skins for the amoured prestige mounts. Wowhead hasn't listed most of those yet and they're probably not really aware of them :D

List of beasts that use the dreamrunner model (model #8939):
https://bfa.wowhead.com/npcs?filter=34;0;8939
There's actually not that many at the moment.

List of beasts that use the zhevra model (model #212):
https://www.wowhead.com/npcs?filter=34;0;212
Only the white and the infernal appearances don't seem to be used.