Battle for Azeroth Story Thread (Spoilers within)

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Re: Battle for Azeroth Story Thread (Spoilers within)

Unread post by Rikaku »

Imo that'd be even more out of character for the MU Draenei to do that. As people who fled war and execution more than once, it doesn't make sense that they would go and encourage these Lightbound AU Draenei to do that when the AU Draenei could've just lived in peace. Plus Velen would condemn any of his MU followers for that behavior.

But maybe? Idk, either way I look at it, I'm with Valnaaros and Wain on this. It's just bad. The Mag'har didn't need this kind of "justification" to join the Horde. The Lightforged certainly didn't need something like this to justify joining the Alliance and fighting the Horde. So the Mag'har did not need this. And like others said, the Lightbound AU Draenei aren't even part of the Alliance?

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Agreed. The MU Draenei never would've encouraged this. They would be appalled. Even if they would, they couldn't since, apparently, we have been cut off from Draenor for the past couple of years. They would need the Bronze Dragonflight's help to get there. This is just one big mess.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Eh I'm going to hold judgement on it until it comes out and I make a brown orc. Maybe it will make sense? Who knows!
Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

That's just.. It's just..

In all seriousness, it's really really stupid. It's out of character and just soooooo bad? Yrel would never do that, but let's just tear down another strong female character and give her a case of the crazies. :roll:
Last edited by Silivren on Wed May 09, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Silivren wrote:That's just.. It's just..

Well to be fair WoWs just been bad writing for ages right now. Look at the mess that is the Horde ATM :lol:
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I'm just so hoping that there is much more to this. If this is it, then it is terrible writing. :(
braunmar
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Grizzly Hills

Unread post by braunmar »

I have a theory about how could Yrel go "evil" like this. It is, what if she was force to become lightbound, like the orcs that the light is force on and now they fight their own kin. The idea that the Naaru, or at least the naaru pushing this, didn't like the fact that it was taking so long to convert the orcs and Yrel wasn't about to force the issue then a scene like what happened with Illidan happens, but Yrel doesn't have eye-beams, and she now cares little about what they want or even if she should.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

It's possible, and we'll have to see if there is more explanation given. The only issue with this is that Ion stated in a 7.3 Q and A that Xe're is an exception amongst Naaru. They could ignore this, but that wouldn't be something that would earn them the praise of the playerbase.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I absolutely detest this. Taking a character that was basically an Alliance racial leader (I know, AU Draenei aren't Alliance) and corrupting her and all she stood for in order to have some cheap thrills for a single-use, throwaway quest that is only for one faction. This is such crap.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I'm not a huge fan of the direction, but a lot can happen in 30 years. On Azeroth, we've endured a zombie apocalypse, a dragon aspect literally broke the world, someone let the pandas get loose, killed multiple old gods and faction leaders, time traveled, defeated a titan, stopped the legion, and now we got a giant sword penetrating our titan soul planet. Compared to all that, a little religious zealotry doesn't seem that big of a turn of events.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

It's bizarre considering that the Draenei were on Draenor for 200 years and lived peacefully with the Orcs. Even after the Genocide, and they were able to build themselves up over the course of about 10 years, the Draenei still never expressed interest in coverting everyone to the Light, nor have the Naaru (outside of Xe're) ever tried to "compel" them into doing it.

You're entirely correct in that a lot can happen in 30 years, it's just that prior lore suggests that what has happened on the AU shouldn't have happened.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Apparently they've had a bunch of crazy expansions come out too! Need to read up on Chronicles for Draenor to keep up with this curveball! I hope they reconsider it.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I do hope hope they either reconsider or show that there is much more to it. More than just Orcs and Draenei lived in peace for a few years, then Naaru told Draenei to start converting, forced coversions started to happen, and now there is a war with overly zealous Draenei.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Don't they need to retcon their own Chronicles if they want to make the Naaru evil?

And yeah, it's been 30 years and alot can happen. For short lived mortals. But, Draenei, though mortal, are anything but short lived. Think about the Draenei lifespan. 30 years is the blink of an eye. For a human, that is as though you awoke one day as a normal pious but otherwise quite rational clergyman and and by bedtime are foaming and raving about fundamentalism after having impaled your neighbors on their lawn for being heathens. It's a bit abrupt.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Teigan wrote:Don't they need to retcon their own Chronicles if they want to make the Naaru evil?
Not really as these would be AU ones and time travel can changes things. It's already changed the history of Dreanor.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

When we met Yrel, she was imprisoned, possibly to be used as a sacrifice in a blood ritual to make some bleeding hollow brutes. On behalf of Grommash. Then, the shadowmoon tried to wipe out the draenei at Karabor using a dark naruu in conjunction with the Iron Horde Fleet, on behalf of Grommash. Then, the Iron Horde attack Shattrath on behalf of Grommash, and when Orgrim Doomhammer objects to killing innocents, Blackhand kills him for being a traitor to the Iron Horde.

It wasn't demonic corruption or old gold corruption that made Grommash decide it was a good idea to try to wipe out the Draenei.

And then he was just let go. Eventually becoming the leader of the AU orcs. Did they even bother to put him on an Elba? Whether or not he did anything aggressive after we left him, I don't think it's out of character for the AU Draenei or Yrel in particular to turn to the their religion to fight against that perceived threat. Any lessons about cooperation learned from Azerothians would likely include, "and they will turn on you given the chance."
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

They worked together for several years after the forces of Azeroth left, according to the datamined text. Those years were very good years. As soon as the remants of the Legion were killed, the Naaru started compelling the Draenei and Yrel to convert the Orcs. At first, they didn't force any Orc to be converted, but naturally the Orcs as a whole weren't fond of having to give of their reverence of their ancestors and the Elements, so they started to push back. The Naaru kept compelling for the Draenei to convert the Orcs, and that is when they started to perform forced conversions on them, and Grom's son was one of them.

So it wasn't Yrel nor the AU Draenei that decided to do any of this. Were it not for the Naaru pushing them, there is no reason to believe that the Orcs and Draenei would've continued to live in peace; just as they did for the 200 years prior. From what I've read across the Story Forums, Mmo-C, SoL, etc. is that most people would be fine if it was Yrel and the Draenei making the decision. Instead, it is the Naaru (whom, outside of Xe'ra, have always been benevolent) acting like Yellow Old Gods and compelling them to convert and, eventually, go to war with the Orcs.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

So it is the Naaru then? huh I was just guess on that one XD
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Mhm, though it doesn't make a ton of sense, seeing as the Naaru on Draenor are the same ones that were on Outland (D'ore and K'ure), and they never expressed any sort of interest to convert other races. The ones in Shatt certainly didn't, seeing as Khadgar was taught bv A'dal but was never converted.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

An interesting post from the Story Forums

"So, uh, theres some Amazon previews of Before the Storm.

https://www.amazon.com/Before-Storm-War ... 399594094/

Including...the epilogue?

Its difficult for me to understand this information without context, but I'll do my best. It seems to be set in Arathi, before BFA starts. It's from the point of view of Anduin, so recognize we only have one side of an untold story here.

- The Desolate Council make a deal with Anduin to maybe join the Alliance? It's unclear. Sylvanas kills them, somehow.
- Some humans and Forsaken interact with eachother...relatively peacefully in Arathi? This is super weird and I don't understand it fully.
- Calia was working with the Desolate Council? And is now dead. Genn calls her a "would be usurper" and says Sylvanas executed her plan so smoothly he "can't even call her on it".
- Genn remarks that Sylvanas comes out of the situation looking like a "noble leader" for "not attacking the Alliance". There's also something about her "not breaking her word".

It seems like maybe there was a coup stirring with Calia and the Desolate council, possibly backed by the Alliance, and Sylvanas eliminated it. Keep in mind this is all very out of context and a lot of guessing."