Proposal: Pet Mog. (Solution for stable slots)

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Everywhere

Proposal: Pet Mog. (Solution for stable slots)

Unread post by SlickrockGhost »

So.. we all know the stable slot issue. So, what I propose as a solution is: Pet Mog. Let's say you tame a cat. Once you do, you learn that cat's "skin". You can then release that cat to the wild, but you'll always have that "skin" available at your stable master. So we would only need enough stable slots for each pet base model. After that, you'd learn skins as you collect then from tames in the wild.

I know this is heresy to some, but we've already been doing this with Hati. Let's do it for the rest of our pets.

Con: You loose the attachment to that specific pet you tamed many years ago. (You wouldn't have to release them all though).
Pro: You really could "tame them all".

The biggest plus I see here is that this relieves your stables of the pets you tamed "just to have them". After all, for most of us, a good 2/3 of your stable falls into that category.

Thoughts?...
Rozzana
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Shattered Hand, Elune

Re: Proposal: Pet Mog. (Solution for stable slots)

Unread post by Rozzana »

I dunno, with all the hassle it just seems easier to give us infinite slots instead.

I'd rather not lose even more of the class fantasy, by reducing pets to mere skins. In a way you're right--they kinda are--but I'd prefer to not just make them skins outright. It reminds me of the complaint with spirit beasts--we're getting more and more, but they feel more like "blue reskins" rather than anything cool. I don't want all pets to just be "skins".
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Rozzana wrote:I dunno, with all the hassle it just seems easier to give us infinite slots instead.

I'd rather not lose even more of the class fantasy, by reducing pets to mere skins. In a way you're right--they kinda are--but I'd prefer to not just make them skins outright. It reminds me of the complaint with spirit beasts--we're getting more and more, but they feel more like "blue reskins" rather than anything cool. I don't want all pets to just be "skins".
Maybe we can just get a sort of heirloom, appearance, toy, mount tab for our hunter pets, and just make it infinite, or a loooot of slots.

I mean, it would feel less personal, but going to a random npc to call forth our pet from the void already is.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I think if they were going to give us unlimited slots, it would only be storing the appearance, not a name. Of course, I think they should do away with requiring a renaming scroll, and let us rename our pets without them...maybe with a cool-down?
SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Qraljar wrote:
Rozzana wrote:I dunno, with all the hassle it just seems easier to give us infinite slots instead.

Maybe we can just get a sort of heirloom, appearance, toy, mount tab for our hunter pets, and just make it infinite, or a loooot of slots.

I mean, it would feel less personal, but going to a random npc to call forth our pet from the void already is.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. It will solve the slot issue, and you can still hang onto the pets that actually have an emotional contact with you. (I have 2-3 tames that would fall into that category.. the rest are really just a collection at this point).
SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

GormanGhaste wrote:I think if they were going to give us unlimited slots, it would only be storing the appearance, not a name. Of course, I think they should do away with requiring a renaming scroll, and let us rename our pets without them...maybe with a cool-down?
My solution would also help with organizing.. past 50.. you kinda loose track of what you have as it is.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Does anyone have a number for how many pet models there are in-game? Because many families have multiple models. Or did you mean that you could mog the pet with all the skins from the whole family?
SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

GormanGhaste wrote:Does anyone have a number for how many pet models there are in-game? Because many families have multiple models. Or did you mean that you could mog the pet with all the skins from the whole family?
You'd probably need to collect each model. Of course, they could do model+skin too, but that would take it down to just each family.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I think it would just be easier if they gave us more slots over a Pet Mog tab. As has been suggested here before, just have it so that if you want more slots, you can spend gold for them. Those who want more slots can buy them, and those that don't won't need to.

If pets were just reduced to a skin that you can spawn from a Pet Mog tab, I think that would make pets even less personal. Yeah, we go to a Stablemaster and they summon our pets forth, but this how it has always been. Summoning a skin -- especially if it doesn't keep the pet name -- would take a lot away from the Hunter class, imo.
SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Valnaaros wrote:I think it would just be easier if they gave us more slots over a Pet Mog tab. As has been suggested here before, just have it so that if you want more slots, you can spend gold for them. Those who want more slots can buy them, and those that don't won't need to.

If pets were just reduced to a skin that you can spawn from a Pet Mog tab, I think that would make pets even less personal. Yeah, we go to a Stablemaster and they summon our pets forth, but this how it has always been. Summoning a skin -- especially if it doesn't keep the pet name -- would take a lot away from the Hunter class, imo.
Where does it stop though.. 200? 500? I really don't want to sort through 500 pets in the current stable interface.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

They could add a search function. If you are attached enough to all of your pets, then you would know their names, so you could search by name or by pet family.

Honestly, 200+ pets seems like a lot. I just can't see how one could spend time with all of them.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Interesting idea, but I don't like it. A pet shouldn't be a collectible skin. I know I flip-flop on the issue of stable slots, but I don't think this would be a good thing. Expanding the stable already diminished the feel of the pet being an individual, which I for one valued. Taking it to the extreme of a pet just being an accessory doesn't sit right at all. Hati was...hopefully a fluke. I think they only did that because they realized people wouldn't like being up to their necks in blue wolves. Hati was badly handled over all and maybe "mogging" him was a stop-gap measure. I hope we never have something like that again.

I remember when I only had a handful of pets. Each one mattered. Each one was an individual. Each one's fate had to be carefully considered. They were a character in my story. Now....well, I still have those, but they are buried in a mountain of other ones that are just kinda....there. I have about as much of a bond with them, those others, as I do with my hundreds of minipets and mounts that I never use, which is to say not at all.

If they were reduced to being skins, whatever bond is still there would be greatly diminished
Last edited by Teigan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Teigan wrote:Interesting idea, but I don't like it. A pet shouldn't be a collectible skin. I know I flip-flop on the issue of stable slots, but I don't think this would be a good thing. Expanding the stable already diminished the feel of the pet being an individual, which I for one valued. Taking it to the extreme of a pet just being an accessory doesn't sit right at all. Hati was...hopefully a fluke. I think they only did that because they realized people wouldn't like being up to their necks in blue wolves. Hati was badly handled over all and maybe "mogging" him was a stop-gap measure. I hope we never have something like that again.

I remember when I only had a handful of pets. Each one mattered. Each one was an individual. Each one's fate had to be carefully considered. They were a character in my story. Now....well, I still have those, but they are buried in a mountain of other ones that are just kinda....there. I have about as much of a bond with them those others as I do with my hundreds of minipets and mounts that I never use, which is to say not at all.

If they were reduced to being skins, whatever bond is still there would be greatly diminished
This is basically how I feel on it. If Blizz decides to give more slots, then have it be something you can buy with gold. But I personally prefer to bond with mine rather than to have an army of pets which are rarely used.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Valnaaros wrote:
Teigan wrote:Interesting idea, but I don't like it. A pet shouldn't be a collectible skin. I know I flip-flop on the issue of stable slots, but I don't think this would be a good thing. Expanding the stable already diminished the feel of the pet being an individual, which I for one valued. Taking it to the extreme of a pet just being an accessory doesn't sit right at all. Hati was...hopefully a fluke. I think they only did that because they realized people wouldn't like being up to their necks in blue wolves. Hati was badly handled over all and maybe "mogging" him was a stop-gap measure. I hope we never have something like that again.

I remember when I only had a handful of pets. Each one mattered. Each one was an individual. Each one's fate had to be carefully considered. They were a character in my story. Now....well, I still have those, but they are buried in a mountain of other ones that are just kinda....there. I have about as much of a bond with them those others as I do with my hundreds of minipets and mounts that I never use, which is to say not at all.

This is basically how I feel on it. If Blizz decides to give more slots, then have it be something you can buy with gold. But I personally prefer to bond with mine rather than to have an army of pets which are rarely used.
This has always been my stance as well, but I'm not going to actively advocate against new stable slots. I would just prefer not to have a ton of them myself, if it were up to me. :( I do miss the unique bond that pets used to have when we were forced to choose them more carefully.

This is the trouble I have with minipets these days, and it's why I don't want to see hunter stables turn into the same thing. I love minipets, I collect as many as I can, but these days I end up forgetting more than half of them because of the sheer quantity. I hardly use some of the ones I used to go crazy for because I simply...can't remember all of them in the massive collection. It's not as exciting getting a new minipet these days, even one I was really pining for, because it feels like I'm just tossing them into a huge pile never to be seen again unless I happen to remember that one specific one. Sure I have favourites and I'm very glad to have them, but the feeling has definitely diminished due to how many there are to keep these days.

As always, because this topic has come up often over the years, I want to toss in the disclaimer that I know I don't speak for everyone, and I'm not trying to. I think there's just a part of me that wishes we could have those special tames again that spoke more of character than of a trophy cabinet. But I also know there are people who love to play hunters for that reason alone, and want to collect all of the rares. It's a tough issue. I just really don't want them to become the next minipet collection. I was able to go through Veph's stables last night actually and clear out an entire page in anticipation of the new expansion. Not because I didn't like those pets, but because I realized I hadn't used them in a long time and if I desperately wanted to, I could just go tame them again.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I'll also be clearing out some in my stable, Veph. There are several that I haven't touched in a very long time, and I could easily get them again if I wanted to.

I love to collect minipets, but you're right, they're just becoming a faceless mass at this point. I forget about most of them, and the only ones I really care for are those which are particularly good in pet battles. The same applies to mounts. I usually just use the Xmog Yak, a two-person land mount, a two-person flying mount, a water strider, and a mount or two that fit with with each of my individual characters. I actively farm for more mounts but, honestly, I rarely use the ones that I farm for. I would hate for Hunter pets to become this.
SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Vephriel wrote:...but because I realized I hadn't used them in a long time and if I desperately wanted to, I could just go tame them again.
That's the other thing. Over the past year, I've probably used 10 different pets at most. Have my favorites of each family, and the rest? well.. they're in the pile someplace.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Valnaaros wrote:

Echoing this. Turning pets into transmogs and collectable items takes away a huge part of the class fantasy. Imagine tracking Loque'nahak for days, struggling against achievement hunters and the unmentionables, to finally tame him, and then straight away get rid of him because 'oh, I have his skin now'. I feel it reduces the drive to really 'hunt' if the pet you tame simply becomes a skin that you unlock.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Yeah, having pets just be a skin for transmog would feel impersonal, but I don't think a tab similar to the heirloom tab that allows you to pick which of your named pets you want to summon would make it any more impersonal than it is currently.

If you want to complain about a hunter pet being rather impersonal once you get to it, that's an issue that has existed since stable masters existed, and won't be solved ever, probably. That can only be solved if you gave player housing and it included personal stables.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Qraljar wrote:That can only be solved if you gave player housing and it included personal stables.
Man, on this note, I'm so bummed out that Trueshot Lodge didn't have something like this. :( I would have loved if there had been a big stable area that used the same tech that the garrison mount stables did and let us see our own pets walking around, eating, sleeping, etc. For being such a large part of our class identity, pets didn't feel like they had much of a presence in our order hall.
SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Krysteena wrote:Imagine tracking Loque'nahak for days, struggling against achievement hunters and the unmentionables, to finally tame him, and then straight away get rid of him because 'oh, I have his skin now'. I feel it reduces the drive to really 'hunt' if the pet you tame simply becomes a skin that you unlock.
It's not as special as it used to be anyway.. There isn't a tame now that has the feel of Loq/Krush/Aotona. The rares now either have a short respawn time, a common beast with the same skin, or they're part of a quest chain that everyone can follow.

The old days are gone regardless.