BFA Taking a Step Back for Pets. :/ (Specializations)

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Re: BFA Taking a Step Back for Pets. :/ (Specializations)

Unread post by Xota »

If the talent "Aspect of the Beast" remains the same, then damage of the pet specs won't be equal.

edit:
If they switched Aspect of the Beast to be based off of "Growl" instead of the pet spec, it would work. If Growl's cast on a player character, it slows the character's run speed (for the same length of Growl's CD). If it is cast on an npc, it reduces the pet's damage taken, and if Growl is off cool-down, then Kill Command could do bonus nature damage (or it's weird bleed thing it has right now).
Aweena
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Aweena »

To be honest i currently dont mind it, all tho i would prefer to be able to specc my pets as i like, i like the idea of a single talent bar for pets where we can choose from 3 talents, no matter how much they try to balance things there will always be that cookie cutter spec people will want to use.

Again all we can do is test give feedback and be as vocal as possible.

If love is an illusion to hell with reality

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Thus far, I haven't had any issues with any of the specs whilst I solo quests and run dungeons. Tenacity, Ferocity, and Cunning all seem to do the same amount of damage and are all equally survivable.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Reminder about the official discussion thread on this topic. As we get more and more into Alpha, I am curious how others feel about this! https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/top ... 019?page=1

I've personally done a lot of playing around with it. I am glad they are focusing on pet family flavor and giving each family an ability. I was hoping for more than 6 family abilities. Wain wrote a good reply on the official thread about BM and family specs and a family crunch (consolidating some families). I really hope they use this time to clean up the families a little.

My main concern at this point is this: If every spec can bring all 6 of the family abilities, whats the point in locking them in the first place?

Here is a table of all the family abilities, and which pets/specs can use them. Note Rylak and Feathermane are absent from this table.

[table=border:1px solid #CDBEE9; background-color:#DCFFDC; border-collapse:collapse;color:#35336F;padding:5px 10px;text-align:center;font-weight:bold;font-size:85%;line-height:130%;][tr][td]30% Dodge
  • Fox (Cunning)
  • Monkey (Cunning)
  • Wind Serpent (Cunning)
  • Cat (Ferocity)
  • Serpent (Ferocity)
  • Dragonhawk (Tenacity)
[/td]
[td]50% reduced dmg taken for 12 seconds
  • Boar (Cunning)
  • Mechanical (Cunning)
  • Core Hound (Ferocity)
  • Scalehide (Ferocity)
  • Basilisk (Tenacity)
  • Beetle (Tenacity)
  • Shale Spider (Tenacity)
  • Turtle (Tenacity)
[/td]
[td]Healing reduced
  • Hyena (Cunning)
  • Raptor (Cunning)
  • Rodent (Cunning)
  • Carrion Bird (Ferocity)
  • Devilsaur (Ferocity)
  • Ravager (Ferocity)
  • Scorpid (Ferocity)
  • Wasp (Ferocity)
  • Direhorn (Tenacity)
  • Hydra (Tenacity)
  • Riverbeast (Tenacity)
[/td]
[td]Purge 1 Enrage and 1 Magic
  • Crane (Cunning)
  • Moth (Cunning)
  • Sporebat (Cunning)
  • Water Strider (Cunning)
  • Bat (Ferocity)
  • Nether Ray (Ferocity)
  • Spirit Beast (Tenacity)
  • Stag (Tenacity)
[/td]
[td]Reduced dmg taken at 40% HP
  • Goat (Cunning)
  • Clefthoof (Ferocity)
  • Gorilla (Ferocity)
  • Bear (Tenacity)
  • Oxen (Tenacity)
  • Quilen (Tenacity)
[/td]
[td]Slow 50%
  • Bird of Prey (Cunning)
  • Silithid (Cunning)
  • Spider (Cunning)
  • Warp Stalker (Cunning)
  • Chimaera (Ferocity)
  • Crocolisk (Ferocity)
  • Dog (Ferocity)
  • Wolf (Ferocity)
  • Crab (Tenacity)
  • Tallstrider (Tenacity)
  • Worm (Tenacity)
[/td][/tr][/table]

So if you want the Spec ability Pathfinding and the family ability Reduced Healing, I hope you like Hyena, Raptors, and Rodents! And this is my point, why couldn't a Devilsaur or a Hydra give Pathfinding? Whats so "pathfindery" about rodents anyway? In my perfect world, I would allow the Hunter to train any family to do any of the 6 abilities and be any of the 3 specs (since that would be very thematic for a hunter to do). However at least they can let us choose the spec.

At the end of the day, its the philosophy behind this decision that doesn't make sense to me, and only serves as artificial restriction without substantive reasoning.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I agree that some of the specs for some of the families don't make sense. For example, Scalehides are clearly Tenacity. I would say that a Tallstrider is either Cunning or Ferocity. Things like that should be changed so that it makes more sense.

That being said, I don't know if we can expect big changes to the pet specs, pet families, or to BM. The Pre-Patch will be arriving as early as late June, so that leaves about 3 months worth of testing. I expect Beta to start within a month, since most of the main features have been added. Surv and Demo are the main specs getting big changes to them. I'm not exactly fond of BM's current state, but I'm also not expecting it to really change from Legion.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I like that there's something different between pet families. In Legion, like half the families were practically identical. If the pet spec isn't going to matter dps-wise, just utility-wise, I like that for every Spec X ability, there's a family. That means some of the families won't make perfect sense to everyone, but this is vastly superior to going a whole expansion without having pet abilities assigned.

While most of the abilities are standard, the slow is different. Two of the exotic families with slow (worm and chimera) have a 30 yard range. Silithid's slow is melee range only, so far. If it got a ranged slow, then that would make 1 family of each spec with a ranged slow.