BFA Taking a Step Back for Pets. :/ (Specializations)

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: BFA Taking a Step Back for Pets. :/ (Specializations)

Unread post by pop »

Zetharl wrote:Curious if I am the only one who misses the days of Cata/MoP when hunters could bring almost any (all if BM) buff in the game to fill in the ones that were missing from your group. Was nice to have an excuse to swap pets. Still feels odd having so many stable slots, but not needing more than three.
I hate that because I HAD to bring the pet's buff instead of the pet I wanted.
NazzyDragon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Emerald Dream (US)

Unread post by NazzyDragon »

pop wrote:
Zetharl wrote:Curious if I am the only one who misses the days of Cata/MoP when hunters could bring almost any (all if BM) buff in the game to fill in the ones that were missing from your group. Was nice to have an excuse to swap pets. Still feels odd having so many stable slots, but not needing more than three.
Well you're going to have to bring the pet that's better instead of the pet you wanted unless the pet(s) you wanted fall into the correct spec(s), and for many of us, they absolutely do not. :(

(Click image for Hunter!)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

NazzyDragon wrote:
pop wrote:
Well you're going to have to bring the pet that's better instead of the pet you wanted unless the pet(s) you wanted fall into the correct spec(s), and for many of us, they absolutely do not. :(
no not really. Better is subjective. I actually prefer to move at a faster speed on my Dark Iron and I would be bringing a cunning pet, so it would stack up with its dungeon delver runner racial.
NazzyDragon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

pop wrote:
NazzyDragon wrote:
pop wrote: Well you're going to have to bring the pet that's better instead of the pet you wanted unless the pet(s) you wanted fall into the correct spec(s), and for many of us, they absolutely do not. :(
no not really. Better is subjective. I actually prefer to move at a faster speed on my Dark Iron and I would be bringing a cunning pet, so it would stack up with its dungeon delver runner racial.
Better is.. not subjective whatsoever in a competitive setting, I.E. any progression whether it be PvE or PvP.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

NazzyDragon wrote: Better is.. not subjective whatsoever in a competitive setting, I.E. any progression whether it be PvE or PvP.
I can sympathize with pvp. Cunning is a lot more mandatory, it's literally another freedom/trinket... so I can see how that'll be an issue. But at least you have quite a few options to choose from now.

But pve? Speaking as a mythic raider... The only instance where tenacity would be more heavily desired - but by no means necessary - is on mythic progression kills, much like prydaz is desired currently to help with survive-ability when learning fights and gearing up despite a dps loss for most. But in many cases the damage reduction and increased hp - which is only applied to yourself and your pet - isn't going to make or break a kill in a group of 20+ people, unless you've got multiple bm hunters. Especially in farm content and lower difficulties.

For dungeon content, M+ mainly, you'll likely be bringing a ferocity pet unless you happen to have a mage or shaman in your 5 man. I've pushed score pretty hardcore in legion and I'm constantly having to use my corehound or brez, and never have the freedom to use anything else. SO I'm pretty stoked to have more lust options.

Questing... it'd be such a minor difference when it comes to survive-ability you could take the slightly squishier pet for the sake of cosmetics, or you can choose not to (if it's even noticeable to begin with); entirely up to the individual.

Seriously, unless you're pushing world firsts I don't think it's as extreme of a situation as it's being made out to be.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

NazzyDragon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Lupen202 wrote:
NazzyDragon wrote: Better is.. not subjective whatsoever in a competitive setting, I.E. any progression whether it be PvE or PvP.
I can sympathize with pvp. Cunning is a lot more mandatory, it's literally another freedom/trinket... so I can see how that'll be an issue. But at least you have quite a few options to choose from now.

But pve? Speaking as a mythic raider... The only instance where tenacity would be more heavily desired - but by no means necessary - is on mythic progression kills, much like prydaz is desired currently to help with survive-ability when learning fights and gearing up despite a dps loss for most. But in many cases the damage reduction and increased hp - which is only applied to yourself and your pet - isn't going to make or break a kill in a group of 20+ people, unless you've got multiple bm hunters. Especially in farm content and lower difficulties.

For dungeon content, M+ mainly, you'll likely be bringing a ferocity pet unless you happen to have a mage or shaman in your 5 man. I've pushed score pretty hardcore in legion and I'm constantly having to use my corehound or brez, and never have the freedom to use anything else. SO I'm pretty stoked to have more lust options.

Questing... it'd be such a minor difference when it comes to survive-ability you could take the slightly squishier pet for the sake of cosmetics, or you can choose not to (if it's even noticeable to begin with); entirely up to the individual.

Seriously, unless you're pushing world firsts I don't think it's as extreme of a situation as it's being made out to be.
Hardly the case -- I play on a PvP server and usually run with a rez friend and lust friend (we like keys and like to play together, I have a discord full of friends for PvE stuff) and I rarely find myself needing lust or brez as a result. Opening up lust more is awesome, sure, but restricting so much more is worse. Why can't you just bring your favorite lust pet since it's all on ferocity pets now and let me change my spec? Why is there an argument against this aside from "I like pets seeming as if they are more unique" (spoiler: they're really not)? I don't understand why there's defense here, this is all around a bad decision to lock specs.

I love all of the specs abilities (but I do feel the leech on ferocity is entirely pathetic and useless), but locking specs is a step backward, not forward. I will definitely use tenacity 85% of the time, cunning 10% of the time, and ferocity 5% of the time.. of which all of my pets are now ferocity. I don't like many pet skins. I like the four in my sig really. That's it. They're all ferocity. It sucks. Big time.

Point is -- it feels bad. I feel forced to use the pet I am more likely to need on an encounter (defensive, especially as melee...), and that's what blizzard wants to get AWAY from... and they're doing the opposite. To be blunt, it's pretty crap.

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

NazzyDragon wrote:
Lupen202 wrote:

Why is there an argument against this aside from "I like pets seeming as if they are more unique" (spoiler: they're really not)? I don't understand why there's defense here, this is all around a bad decision to lock specs.
I'm not arguing against it; frankly I don't care if pets are spec locked or not, even though IMO either case is still better than what we have in legion. (Having more lust options alone is a big improvement) I'm just stating that it really isn't as serious of a situation as you're making it out to be, and regardless it is still early alpha. /shrug
Last edited by Lupen202 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

NazzyDragon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Lupen202 wrote: I'm not arguing against it; frankly I don't care if pets are spec locked or not, even though IMO spec-locked or not this is still better than what we have in legion. (Having more lust options alone) I'm just stating that it really isn't as serious of a situation as you're making it out to be, and regardless it is early alpha. /shrug
A fair point. It is very good there's more lust, but I still think that it should be open to swapping because it feels worse than it does right now to me, and I know several friends I've been discussing it with a lot also feel the same.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I am so so so thankful they wrote such a long post just for hunters to explain things. This was the biggest thing I was wanting, open discussion!

Well... "open" discussion ;)
Beta account required to post in this Forum
I think I can live with this without much fuss. I don't think they are quite accomplishing their first goal of moving away from tank/dps pets with Tenacity having very attractive active and passive for tanking challenging things. And I do wonder how often raid leaders will require hunters to bring tenacity for the +10% HP but hopefully thats not an epidemic.

And hey every family having access to passives such as Blood of the Rhino is awesome to me. And losing Battle Rez makes sense, but I sure will miss it. It has been clutch in many 5 mans for me, even if it was clunky as hell to use.

I can live with this. I'm just overjoyed we got such a long detailed post. Moar of this plx!
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I don't like the total absence of Thunderstomp which is basically a prerequisite while doing questing/world content. I've seen how swarmey the mobs are in BFA and keeping them on your pet is going to be super critical. Sure, I have a MD macro and there's always spamming macro+multishot but that's really a bandaid.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

It really isn't a big deal. Like what Lupen said, unless you are pushing world/realm firsts, you're not going to be pressured into bringing any particular pet. All pets will be able to deal the same damage and will have the same health. More pets will be capable of using Hero instead of just the two we have now.

Of course changes to the pet specs aren't perfect and not everyone will be happy, but there are no perfect solutions. But I fail to see how this is a large step backwards. From what I've seen, most people are happy with the changes, and most of those who aren't don't fully understand what Blizz is doing.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

In hindsight, after a few days to dwell on the changes, they aren't that bad, really? Pets were spec locked before, which is what would often prompt people to tame bears or turtles, because they needed that tank pet whilst soloing. Right now, i can have a tanking wolf, a dps wolf, and a cunning wolf, and not even have to change from that one pet if I really wanted. At least for me, this will prompt me to use more of my pets, because they'll have a specific role to play.

I'm also quite pleased with the concept of dealing the same damage. Whilst soloing current content, it felt like I had to make the conscious decision between a ferocity pet to kill mobs faster, or have a tanking pet for that extra safety. Of course, having an MD macro worked wonders, and will continue to work those wonders, but at least I don't have to sacrifice speed for safety anymore.

Of course, I am as casual as casual comes in terms of my play style, so these changes don't have a truly negative impact on my gameplay. For others, though, I understand that these changes may have a negative impact, especially for those who already feel they need to bring a specific pet to contend with the more challenging content.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

In regards to challenging content, people will always be pressured to do what it is best, and that isn't just for pets. Every class and spec is pressured to choose the talents that provide the best results, and many are fine with just doing whatever it takes, regardless of whether they are actually fans of the talent(s) or not.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Valnaaros wrote:In regards to challenging content, people will always be pressured to do what it is best, and that isn't just for pets. Every class and spec is pressured to choose the talents that provide the best results, and many are fine with just doing whatever it takes, regardless of whether they are actually fans of the talent(s) or not.
That's very true. Hunters would be very lucky to not experience this, even with pets, and it's not likely that a favourite pet is also the best for challenging content. In that case, then these changes aren't half as bad as they initially appear at all :)
SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Everywhere

Unread post by SlickrockGhost »

The way this is likely to go unless they change the numbers is that tenacity will be used 90% of the time for raiding, in which case they'll nerf the percentages eventually..
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Assuming Tenacity ends up being the best option, then of course it'll be used. Even if it is just a 2% better than Cunning and Ferocity, it will be used, but that is how it has always been with everything. There is always a best choice and, in raiding, that is what you go with to get the best results. It has been that way since Vanilla and it will always be that way.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I want suggest a new Hunter ability:
"Bestial Versatility"(ph)
The hunter is granted with a utility spell depending on the hunter's main active pet's spec for 12 seconds, 2 minute cool down.

Ferocity: The hunter and the beast receive 25% less damage, and they share 25% of damage and healing taken.

Tenacity: The hunter's and the beast's movement speeds are increased by 40% and increase any healing received by 10%.

Cunning: The hunter and beast gain 25% avoidance and leech.

It's kind of s rough draft, but I would love a utility CD that changes depending on the pet the hunter is using.
Bluefire
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Duskwood

Unread post by Bluefire »

If they go through with this BS and force this on us hunters I may, for the first time since vanilla... not play my hunter.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Bluefire wrote:If they go through with this BS and force this on us hunters I may, for the first time since vanilla... not play my hunter.
What are your issues with it?
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Valnaaros wrote:
Bluefire wrote:If they go through with this BS and force this on us hunters I may, for the first time since vanilla... not play my hunter.
What are your issues with it?
I know this isn't directed at me, but I'm on the same line of thought lol

After reading the updates, this changes is not AS BAD as i initially thought. However, i still greatly dislike the idea of spec locking.

I understand why they are doing it, but understanding and liking something are not the same thing. I feel that pet damage normalization could've been done without spec locking if the idea was more fine tuned.

Tl;dr I understand the changes, i get it's not as bad as initially thought, but as a player who has personal opinions i still don't like spec locking.