BFA Taking a Step Back for Pets. :/ (Specializations)

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Re: BFA Taking a Step Back for Pets. :/ (Specializations)

Unread post by Xella »

This new system reminds me of a slightly more complex version of warlock pets, and warlocks have been complaining about that for years. Tank pet, group pet, four (or more) useless abilities on your bars/spellbook.
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Tankperson
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Tankperson »

Thinking I may be looking at a new main all these years since Wrath. Well good thing I like Locks as well.
NazzyDragon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Emerald Dream (US)

Unread post by NazzyDragon »

This is a horrid change. I want to change my pet's spec at will. We're going backward here, not forward. I understand that many of us have said we would like all pets to feel useful, but this isn't a proper step in that direction.

Giving all pets a skill of some sort was good, but locking pet specs is bad. Please let me change my pet's spec. I hate this one change.

(Click image for Hunter!)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Myzou wrote:If anything, give HUNTERS the heroism spell, so even marksman has it. Just callit something like aspect of the raptor.

Like I said, just give hunters aspects that act as heroism and possibly battle res, so that pets are not required for these (so marksman can also use them, since they're forcing lone wolf on marksman again).
The BFA version of Lone Wolf is NOT the same as the Legion version. You have +18% personal damage if you don't have a pet out. If you call one out you lose that buff since the pet should do around that % of damage. With all the utility coming back for pets there was no way Legion Lone Wolf would stay as is.
ImageImage
Lycanthrope
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Sisters of Elune, Cenarion Circle, Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Lycanthrope »

Quiv wrote:Wowhead suggested they may have locked pets to spec so moth/crane/quillen can't have both Bloodlust (from Ferocity) and Battle Rez (from the family ability). I have looked through the abilities and don't see any other combinations that struck me as "unfair." I don't see why those two are particularly powerful together, but I suppose putting them on one family/spec could make them mandatory in certain situations and no one wants that. No player class has those two naturally.

This leads me to believe the problem isn't with family abilities and pet specs. The problem is this design direction of tying big abilities (mainly Bloodlust) to a spec. so I have to wonder:

Is having powerful abilities like Bloodlust tied to spec a good idea?

Since this is the result, I say no its not. I want specs to have unique abilities and flavor, but lust is too big. This leads me to think that the big abilities like lust and rez need to be rethought. I don't think tying them to a spec (and therefore forcing pets into a spec) is a good idea. I think the pet talent idea is the better solution, even if its only one row where we choose one of the big abilities.

This would give all pets access to rez and lust, but I don't see the big deal with having a devilsaur rez you over a crane. It could be a generic ability like they did with calling Bloodlust "primal rage."

Though to be completely honest, I didn't see a big deal with tying lust and rez to specific families anyway. They were already on an exotic and non-exotic family, and we have 5 call pet slots. We can have them if needed. This part of the changes strikes me as trying to fix something that isn't necessarily broken. I'm glad families got some normal abilities back (although they are woefully boring), but the spec/big ability change was unnecessary.
We can already bring Brez via month/crane and Lust/Hero via LWing drums.

I don't see the pets having both as unfair at all. Someone's dropping the ball at Blizzard and I feel as though it's some new blood they've brought in recently.
Joonces
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring

Unread post by Joonces »

Signs of Kelani has a good video on it: https://youtu.be/OYbK_7rtwno
Zetharl
Realm: Hydraxis

Unread post by Zetharl »

I fail to see the issue here. With damage being normalized among the specs, which pet we use will still be up to personal preference. I foresee viable arguments for using any of the three specs during a raid.

Regarding pet-specific abilities, none of them are mandatory for group content. It is highly unlikely for a progression raiding guild to not already have a few people who bring Battle Rez and Heroism. Mythic+ dungeon runs are the only area where you will be coerced into bringing one of those pets, but that happens *now*, so there is no change.

Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I'm actually ok with this now. I think I was being overly dramatic. *cringe*

The base damage is the same. Each could have their use. And any raid worth it's salt is going to be bringing res and lust in many forms, which means maybe you can bring that movement speed. I can see this working out.

Edit: Though, they better make those families make sense! Boars should be tenacity. Dragonhawks should NOT be. And why is a scalehide not tenacity? Make them fit properly, please!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Yeah, this really isn't as bad as we all initially thought. Just some tweaking of some of the family specs is what is needed at this point.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Normalized damage is very unexpected, and a little strange to think about after so many years of specs having specific outputs, but that definitely makes this less grim that it originally appeared. Hopefully things work out in the end.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I feel like I missed something with this normalized damage thing. Does Ferocity not have Spiked Collar anymore?
NazzyDragon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

It still isn't cool to restrict pet specs after all these years. Hate it very much. I like everything but that. Dunno how some people are ok with it.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

It isn't bad since all three specs deal the same damage, but each provides different benefits. Instead of always using Ferocity for dungeons and raids, you can bring Tenacity or Cunning and not receive a dps loss.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

I don't see why they're locking families to specs though.

What if I want a mechanical pet that gives me +10% health? What if I want a spirit beast that gives me heroism? What if I want a raptor that gives Master's call?

The changes to the specs aren't bad. They're good.

The spec-locking is terrible though, and a huge step backwards.
NazzyDragon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Valnaaros wrote:It isn't bad since all three specs deal the same damage, but each provides different benefits. Instead of always using Ferocity for dungeons and raids, you can bring Tenacity or Cunning and not receive a dps loss.
Yes, but utility loss here is very important. Currently, tenacity pets are extremely useful. Ferocity? Hardly compares. Lust is almost always covered & the leech seems very lackluster. The 10% extra HP and extra defensive will be invaluable, ESPECIALLY for survival hunters (where we struggle in melee).

Cunning will still be the go-to for PvP it seems, as master's call is MANDATORY for any hunter.

No. Not digging it. Let me change specs. NOT COOL.

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

The damage thing is fine. The utility locking is not.
viaradda

Unread post by viaradda »

Myzou wrote:I don't see why they're locking families to specs though.

What if I want a mechanical pet that gives me +10% health? What if I want a spirit beast that gives me heroism? What if I want a raptor that gives Master's call?
It's the same reason they won't let you tank with your Priest by shooting arrows from your 2H axe. They're moving away from homogenization (in response to player demand), and this is part of that trend.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

viaradda wrote:
Myzou wrote:I don't see why they're locking families to specs though.

It's the same reason they won't let you tank with your Priest by shooting arrows from your 2H axe. They're moving away from homogenization (in response to player demand), and this is part of that trend.
This, essentially. Players have been complaining about homogenization for years, and so Blizz is doing things like this in order to get away from it.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I don’t recall widespread complaints about pet homogenization, though.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Could just be Blizz taking a look at everything. I recall them mentioning in an interview a while back that they were going to work on Warlock demons, so maybe they decided to do the same to pets?