War of the Thorns annoyances

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Re: War of the Thorns annoyances

Unread post by Sukurachi »

THE quest series I most loathe getting to: in Val'Sharah, helping that whiny Tyrande and Malfurion... the voice acting is SO high-school drama club level.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Sukurachi wrote:THE quest series I most loathe getting to: in Val'Sharah, helping that whiny Tyrande and Malfurion... the voice acting is SO high-school drama club level.
I know that the "Tyraaaaande" thing is Xavius imitating/mocking Malfurion, but it somehow doesn't matter and someone just fits them. I was already frustrated with and just about done with those two before that, but that really just put it over the edge. And I'm Alliance, mainly. And I love Night Elves. But I can't stand Malfurion and Tyrande anymore.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

The Warbringer for Sylvanas has been released. She does burn Teldrassil intentionally. She confesses that she hates the living and wishes for the Kaldorei to have no hope.
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

So, that Warbringer short....

Well then.

I guess on some level I didn't expect her to yell "burn it".
Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Unread post by Aleu »

This is what you call morally gray Blizzard?

We can still kill Tyrande and Mal right?

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

The only thing 'grey' about the whole situation are the ashes of Teldrassil.

The art was beautiful, but everything else about it left much to be desired. Jaina got a really gorgeous song with moving lyrics and so much hidden meaning within it. Sylvanas got the point blank 'she's morally grey' approach. Come on, Blizzard.
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

If we are calling "black" a shade of grey, then sure, she's morally grey.
Aggannor
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU Wildhammer

Unread post by Aggannor »

Saddest part about this all is that with a bit of rewriting this could have been good (at least by WoW standards). Horde digs Azerite in Silithus, Alliance sends scouts there. Then by some broken communication (or Genn hating Sylvanas and being Genn) those scouts start to kill the Horde miners. Sylvanas fears all out weapons race and decides to conquer Teldrassil as a preemptive strike. Fighting gets out of hand (let's say untested Azerite weapons), tree burns by accident and Alliance is forced to declare an all out war.

Instead we have a pretty much confirmed end boss and enough "morally grey" memes to last the whole expansion.

Also, found this on MMO-Champion:
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

The only good thing to come of this is an explanation for Sylvanas' ugly makeup (which is just tears burnt into her skin. Metal as hell). Blizzard needs to prune writers instead of skills and abilities next expansion, because oh boy was that a horrible story.

EDIT: Can't wait for Siege of Orgrimmar 2.0 when we kill the dumb banshee. Heroes of the Storm does her better justice than this awful story, and she doesn't even HAVE a story in HotS.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

The video was interesting, but not as good as Jaina's, by a Longshot.

I didn't like Sylvanas' decision in the video, but I liked the video because it's shown how far Sylvanas has fallen. She went from being the Elven ranger trying to defend her home from an invasion of Undead, to killing a Young Elven ranger defending her Homeland from Sylvanas and her Horde.

Sylvanas has gone full circle imo. She's gone from Noble defender, to vengeful banshee, to being Arthas herself in that single moment of time. And she makes the decision Arthas would've (and had once before aka Stratholme) to not capture, but burn.

But idk, I'm not surprised, but only disappointed in what's become if Sylvanas. I used to really love her character, but after Wrath it seemed to fall apart.

Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

At least Arthas had a good reason to burn Stratholme. He was trying to contain the plague. Sylvanas burnt Teldrassil in a fit of pique because a dying nightelf didn't kowtow to her.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

WerebearGuy wrote:The only good thing to come of this is an explanation for Sylvanas' ugly makeup (which is just tears burnt into her skin. Metal as hell).
That's a reference to Banshees. In Irish myth they had them.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Teigan wrote:At least Arthas had a good reason to burn Stratholme. He was trying to contain the plague. Sylvanas burnt Teldrassil in a fit of pique because a dying nightelf didn't kowtow to her.
Definitely agreed.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

I wish they used an in game cut scene instead of a glorified motion comic just because it did not fit? That style works great imo as a short on Youtube but in game? felt a bit lazy.

It was great and very well done but I don't know if it was the right fit personally.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Was probably done to save time and resources. They probably already intended to have one of the shorts be a depiction of the burning of Teldrassil, and figured that having an ingame cinematic of the same thing was redundant.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

welp, that was about as bad as i expected it to be. I totally called it that she would burn the tree due to a tantrum- it just wasn't a tantrum caused by failing to kill Mal. (who she doesn't even know is still alive at the time of her choice- she thought he was dead and she had won. She just wanted to double down on the two-for-one evil special.) I had no doubt in my mind that she would intentionally burn the tree over something petty but it was still...disappointing to confirm. I kind of feel sad for lots of different reasons now.
I'm sad the tree is gone, sad the Night Elves suffered this injustice for a flimsy reason, I'm sad about the writing and sad that they are taking Sylvanas down this path. (Although i have seen it coming for a while.)

That being said, i thought the cinematic was very pretty and i really did enjoy it. (Although I think Jaina's is still my favorite. gave me chills!) I have always had a bit of a soft spot for that kind of half-animated high detail art style. And the parallels between her living self standing against the Lich king vrs her Banshee self and the wounded Night Elf were very nice.

I think I will be more invested in the taking of Undercity than I was with the burning of the tree because at least I know that strike will be pretty well justified now and I have a little more hope for the writing there. But I will still be sad to see the city go. I have fond memories of that grungy place- even if i did always manage to get lost. :P

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

I don't have any hopes for any good writing there personally @.@
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

There will be a timey whimey dragon for UC too, I hope?
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

I think I read that they will have them for both cities. I could be wrong.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Zidormi will be in both zones.