War of the Thorns annoyances

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: War of the Thorns annoyances

Unread post by Wain »

It's really too late to complicate things with the current Alliance leaders without it looking forced / bad writing at this point, as it would look like a big personality change in any of them. Even Velen's sudden "stop fighting, he's my son" moment, I think was really awkward and not believable.

The biggest opportunity I can see for a crack in the Alliance right now would be the Dark Iron Dwarves, because even if Moira is sincere, they can't have all suddenly become good guys.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Wain wrote:It's really too late to complicate things with the current Alliance leaders without it looking forced / bad writing at this point, as it would look like a big personality change in any of them. Even Velen's sudden "stop fighting, he's my son" moment, I think was really awkward and not believable.

The biggest opportunity I can see for a crack in the Alliance right now would be the Dark Iron Dwarves, because even if Moira is sincere, they can't have all suddenly become good guys.
True I mean they've been at odds with the others for a very long time. All this turmoil going on right now would be a perfect time for them to do something. Like assassinate someone and frame someone else for example and that would be right up their alley.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

I'm just waiting for it to be Tyrande that makes the morally grey move on the Alliance side, tbh. What was she doing when the Horde were killing her people and moving towards Teldrassil to take it? Why, running through the forests screaming Malfurion's name, of course. What is she presumably* doing while her tree burns? Cooing over her husband. She really looks like she's got some askewed priorities going on (I get that he's her husband but, come on, her people are burning alive), and I wonder if it's going to manifest into some radical decision to be made in the future. Maybe there's some guilt brewing in there, or a hatred that's taking shape, and it's the one the other leaders wouldn't expect over someone like Genn that penultimately snaps.

*I say 'presumably' above because I haven't done the Alliance side so I don't actually know if Tyrande comes back to save her people, but even if she does, the point still stands.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

There is more to it than that. The Alliance novella goes into Tyrande's perspective on the events and what she was doing during this time.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I currently don't have access to the novellas, so :') is there somewhere I can find them online or are they not avliable for that yet?
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Wowhead made an article specifically about her role here :)
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Thank you~ I've just read it, and I must say, she has got a much greater role than what they show in game, which leaves me to ask why her role in-game looks so different in comparison. It's not just a simple missing out of a line or two, it's a huge difference. To the point the interaction between her and Saurfang is completely different. I'm not sure how I feel about such a major difference, but thank you for correcting me! :) I'll have to read those other novella summaries now, to ensure I'm all caught up~
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Happy to help :) I agree, there are a lot of vital details that were left out of the game that shouldn't have been.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Valnaaros wrote:Happy to help :) I agree, there are a lot of vital details that were left out of the game that shouldn't have been.
This is my entire problem with the books and some cinematics.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE having more content in other sources and mediums. Like Warbringers or Warlords videos are great. And I love to read the books.

But some content, like what's in the novellas, is so different and had such a different meaning/expression/result, that it absolutely should've been in the game. A few minor differences I can understand but... The Tyrande stuff is so different that I'm a little upset it wasn't portrayed even close to in game.

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

ANYTHING that affects the game should be IN the game.
Screw the books.
While some of you may think the books are well-written, or by "recognized" authors, they are amateurish and more fan-fic than anything as far as I'm concerned, I have no time to waste reading 2nd-hand literature.

If the information is required to understand what is going on in the game, then it MUST be In. The. Game.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Sukurachi wrote:ANYTHING that affects the game should be IN the game.
Screw the books.
While some of you may think the books are well-written, or by "recognized" authors, they are amateurish and more fan-fic than anything as far as I'm concerned, I have no time to waste reading 2nd-hand literature.

If the information is required to understand what is going on in the game, then it MUST be In. The. Game.
Agreed.

The extras like Daughter of the Sea are great and all, but important lore needs to be in the game.
Lamiara
Realm: EU- Moonglade, Darkmoon Faire

Unread post by Lamiara »

Sukurachi wrote: While some of you may think the books are well-written, or by "recognized" authors
kek.

Whenever I see some enthusiastic young person mention one of the Hack-narcissist-selfinserts that put any cringey fanfiction Gary Stu to shame, I facedesk so hard it hurts.
(Usually when I tentatively inquire as to why they think those "books" are acceptable, it turns out it is the first book they've actually read. No idea how that is possible, obviously schools aren't today what they used to be.)

Everything related to the game's story should be in-game, period.
If it's not there, it doesn't exist.

And some things that ARE in the game don't exist for me, either.
(Looking at you, Nhinja. How is your love affair with wild wetlands raptors who fell in love with you because you are so incredibubbly ruggedly handsome working out?)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I just wanted to share this image that made me laugh - attributed to @ChiefVoljin on Twitter.
Attachments
TyarendeMalfurionSpider.jpg
TyarendeMalfurionSpider.jpg (59 KiB) Viewed 3189 times
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

Wain wrote:Image

I just wanted to share this image that made me laugh - attributed to @ChiefVoljin on Twitter.
That is beautiful.

:lol:
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

That's 100% confirmed lore.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Have to say I really liked the Siege for the Undercity scenario. I've only done the Horde side so far but I enjoyed it. Sure the bit with Jaina felt a bit mary suey but they really did write themselves into a corner so i can understand. That ending cutscene was cool and much better done then the burning one.
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

The Alliance Siege of Lordaeron scenario was freakin amazing! Loved it! I'll have to do the Horde version also to see how that all went
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

ok so right off the bat this one feels much more thought out and was just.....better. I enjoyed it 150% more than the burning- even if there was some cliche elements to it. ( i kept waiting for Jaina to start singing "let it go" >.>)

two things that really stuck out to me: Anduin's line: "The alliance dose not leave anyone behind- not this time..." ouch :(
the whole parallel between Anduin returning to Lorderon vrs the cinematic where Arthas returned in the ally version of the cutscene.

At this point i don't think you can make much room for the case of Sylvanas being morally gray whatsoever. She did just gas her own troops after all. I guess the gray character is supposed to be Saurfang because they are reaallly leaning in hard on the "Evil Bitch Queen" path with her.

Setanta
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terrokar, Dentarg, Alexstrasza

Unread post by Setanta »

Key things that stuck out.....the conversation between Sylvanas and Saurfang just before the alliance arrive and take Saurfang prisoner.

The sacking of Lordaeron was expected by leadership as they made a point of stating that all the civilians had been saved prior to the battle for Lordaeron beginning. Baine's loyalty is to the idea of the Horde, but he's definitely not happy with the actions of Sylvanas.

The horde novella brought in an interesting perspective from the mind of the blood elf rogue character. The blood elves could potentially be all in on the tree scenario because they have some potentially serious animosity toward the night elves for throwing them out centuries ago, and not having any part in assisting them in the troll wars when they resettled in the Eastern Kingdom. Or when they as High Elves were nearly wiped out by Arthas and the scourge (as well as the losses they had against the Amani and the original orcish Horde).

Sargman (Void Elf) Terokkar
Serkrun (Orc) Dentarg
Untamabull (Tauren) Area 52
Sargmar (Blood Elf) Alexstrasza

If you're taking my posts 100% seriously, you're probably 150% too serious to read them.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Millennia. The Highborne were exiled from Kalimdor about 7k years ago. BE/HEs do not live that long at all. The fact that the Rogue was around then is due to Blizz forgetting that bit of lore. Even still, until we actually see how Lor'themar and others react, we cannot really say for certain how the BEs view it.