War of the Thorns annoyances

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Re: War of the Thorns annoyances

Unread post by Thwip »

All I can say is 'Welp.'

I don't mind Sylvanas being herself. It's just frustrating when it's her doing her thing as the Warchief and dragging the whole Horde into it. Sylvanas has always been kinda...on that side of things. If Gilneas was any indication of that. I'm also slightly frustrated that a no-name solider's comments caused her to just go full bitch mode for no good reason? She kept insisting we were there to just take the tree. Even Nanthos was in the background like 'Wat.'

I main a Forsaken. That's my Queen. I just don't want Garrosh 2.0 with SoO 2.0. I just don't get why they basically built up the suspense of 'OMG IT MIGHT NOT BE SYLVANAS' with how adamant she was about taking it. Even in the beginning of the cinematic, she said 'Invade' only to get miffed at this nobody.

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I wish I could say that a leader making a devastatingly destructive decision, out of a moment of spite, undermining their own strategy, was unbelievable. Believable or not, though, it didn't make her a more interesting character.
Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

I'm just as annoyed with Anduin at the moment on the Ally side. When you come back after everything he has "no words" at first and then instead of going after the entire horde for their part in this he specifically points out Sylvannis. If you do the quests on ally side you see blood elves, goblins, undead, orcs, and tauren attacking too. Even from a game play perspective this doesn't work entirely. The mounts are short term rewards, but if this whole event which is crucial to the story is going away new players in the future will be in the least down two cool mounts if not they won't know what's going on. They might keep it in, but the legion invasions went away so I don't know what to think at the moment. The bat mounts description too gives away what will happen in the future. Not every player keeps up on these things and that's wrong of them to spoil.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

It goes back to Before the Storm. At the end (after Sylvanas kills her own people), Anduin comments on how he has always believed that everyone is capable of change, and still does believe that. However, he believes that Sylvanas will not change, and that is why she needs to die. Sylvanas is dragging the rest of the Horde down with her. I feel that it wouldn't be incorrect to say that, were it not for her lies, the majority of the Horde would not want to go to war.
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

I believe Vol'jin grossly misinterpreted the spirits whispers.

I don't think they were whispering the name Sylvanas as an answer to who should be warchief. I believe they were calling out for the return of Sylvanas' soul instead.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

Niabi wrote:I believe Vol'jin grossly misinterpreted the spirits whispers.

I don't think they were whispering the name Sylvanas as an answer to who should be warchief. I believe they were calling out for the return of Sylvanas' soul instead.

Speaking of Voljin, wasn't there a screenshot of Thrall with Voljin's ashes when this expansion was first announced? Is that going to come into play at some point?

As to Sylvie, I started the game as a horde but main Alliance these days. I liked her back then and hated Jania with a passion, it feels odd to be wavering now. I dont really hate Sylvannas, but I do agree this was just a bad story turning her into Garrosh 2.0.

Ah well, it will all keep going with the back and forth till someone invades/attacks the world again.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I think they take them too troll land.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Thrall never shows up. He was originally going to, but there has been no sign of him. Vol'jin does show up, however.

Spoilers below

He has become a Loa.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Flyra wrote:Sylvanas does not want to burn the world tree she wants to capture and occupy it. I think it's going to either be an accident or the Nelfs doing it - preventing people from occupying their tree.
WELL don't you all look silly now er? *puts on shades*

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Castile wrote:
Flyra wrote:Sylvanas does not want to burn the world tree she wants to capture and occupy it. I think it's going to either be an accident or the Nelfs doing it - preventing people from occupying their tree.
The writing lied to us, it's not our fault! XD
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

cowmuflage wrote:
Castile wrote:
The writing lied to us, it's not our fault! XD
Haha! I feel bad for most of the horde races EXCEPT the forsaken. Ya'll just evil and I'm burning your dumpster of a sewer city the ground.. *kitty swaggers away*

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Unread post by Thwip »

Castile wrote: Haha! I feel bad for most of the horde races EXCEPT the forsaken. Ya'll just evil and I'm burning your dumpster of a sewer city the ground.. *kitty swaggers away*
Ahahaaaaa, nope. We take that away from Alliance too. Ya know, with Blight. Lots of Blight. >}

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Honestly, this was like being shat upon by Blizzard's writers.
I hate it and hated how it ended. It made absolutely zero sense.

As a Blood Elf, I was not in the Horde to be a "bad guy", a baby-killer, a sacker of villages, a killer of innocents.
It really makes me wonder if those people I saved from Lor'danel really WERE spared, or if the minute I turned my back the Forsaken scientists didn't drag them all off to be experimented on.

This really makes it hard to continue playing. I won't turn to my Alliance characters, there are too many aspects of the Alliance I don't agree with and would not feel comfortable joining.
But if Blizzard's writers think they are going to foist this kind of crappy writing on us and have us be "happy" about it...
I've been proudly Horde since vanilla.
This is the kind of stupidity that would make me seek out other games.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Edit: Didn't realize how much this looks like my signature :oops:
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Garrosh's actions are tame compared to what Sylvanas has done and is going to do.
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

I wouldn't call Garrosh's genocide and torture of the Horde and Alliance both exactly tame, even compared to what Sylvannas just did- he did kind of tear apart all of Pandaria, kill trolls and goblins in the streets, and take over the entire home city of the Horde for war crimes and medical experimentation.

That said, the two plots are looking VERY similar. Can't say I'm exactly surprised, but I am disappointed. This is exactly what my pessimistic brain said Blizzard was going to do and I was so, so hopeful that I'd be wrong.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

LupisDarkmoon wrote:I wouldn't call Garrosh's genocide and torture of the Horde and Alliance both exactly tame, even compared to what Sylvannas just did- he did kind of tear apart all of Pandaria, kill trolls and goblins in the streets, and take over the entire home city of the Horde for war crimes and medical experimentation.

That said, the two plots are looking VERY similar. Can't say I'm exactly surprised, but I am disappointed. This is exactly what my pessimistic brain said Blizzard was going to do and I was so, so hopeful that I'd be wrong.
Next she'll be going back in time and killing Arthas.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

cowmuflage wrote:
LupisDarkmoon wrote:I wouldn't call Garrosh's genocide and torture of the Horde and Alliance both exactly tame, even compared to what Sylvannas just did- he did kind of tear apart all of Pandaria, kill trolls and goblins in the streets, and take over the entire home city of the Horde for war crimes and medical experimentation.

Next she'll be going back in time and killing Arthas.
If only she knew about the Caverns of Time, she could go there , kill Arthas, and erase her own undead persona from history.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Thwip wrote:
Castile wrote: Haha! I feel bad for most of the horde races EXCEPT the forsaken. Ya'll just evil and I'm burning your dumpster of a sewer city the ground.. *kitty swaggers away*
Ahahaaaaa, nope. We take that away from Alliance too. Ya know, with Blight. Lots of Blight. >}
To make matters worse, bet you that when we inevitably take out Sylvanas, we'll be storming into Undercity, using the light to cleanse it somehow.
Leading to Horde being able to use the Undercity again after they return to their "we're just the underdogs" spiel, while the Night Elves are still stuck with a burning tree for the next 8 expansions.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

I've been doing some thinking, so I'm going to add more to my opinion that no one asked for

The morally grey part of this is most likely the actual players than the events going on. I main Horde. I have done ever since I first started playing. I may not agree with Sylvanas' actions but I can understand why she's acting a certain way. She wants to kill Malfurion because that would kill the hope of the Night Elves. She then follows the same sort of 'killing hope' thing by taking down their tree and seems to wholeheartedly believe that, if the situations were reversed, the Alliance would act as the Horde are now. She's paranoid and has backed herself into a corner of her own design. I can get behind that. Not so sure on the fact that she's decided to cook a load of civilians, though.

Blizzard don't want to write a bad story. They want to write a story that gets people to react to it. This is giving them exactly what they want. I don't believe that it's necessarily bad writing, it's just writing that people don't like. What I will say, though, is that I have this awful feeling that these events are going to reflect badly on those who actually play Horde, and that there's an imbalance. Anything bad that the Alliance do can now easily be met with 'yeah but we didn't burn Teldrassil'. I doubt the Alliance are going to do something majorly awful in the Seige of Undercity, either, and, even if they do, we know that Sylvanas loses it and unleashes the plague so, again, imbalance.

At this point, Sylvanas =/= Horde as a whole. I'd even argue that Sylvanas =/= the Forsaken as a whole, considering some of her actions in BtS.