8.1 Story - Spoilers

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

8.1 Story - Spoilers

Unread post by Valnaaros »

These thread contains lore and stories in Patch 8.1. If you want to go into the patch spoil-free, then please leave the thread :)

Vol'jin is going to be confronting the Lich King. Bwonsamdi is also involved in this scenario. Why Vol'jin is doing this is unknown but it is speculated that Bwonsamdi's "boss" is the Lich King.

Tyrande returns to Darkshore and undergoes the Ritual of the Night Warrior. Night Warrior is one of the titles of Elune, and it looks like Tyrande is possibly becoming an avatar of Elune. Upon completing this questline, other Kaldorei will be able to customize themselves with the aesthetics of the Night Warrior.

The Blood Elf Heritage Armor questline involves returning to Quel'thalas and reliving the events that led to the destruction of the Sunwell.

The Dwarf Heritage Armor questline involves returning to Ulduar, though exact details are unknown at this time.

For some reason, the Horde free Ashvane and other prisoners from Tol Dagor.

In the Darkshore Warfront, efforts are being made on both sides to rebuild Auberdine and Bashal'Aran as settlments/forts.

Xal'atah is still around, though dormant. A Quest Item-version of her has been datamined.

Sylvanas is sending assassins to kill Saurfang. You get a hood and cloak to disguise yourself in order to try and throw them off of his trail. The hood and cloak have the flavor text "Some revolutions begin with the smallest acts of defiance." So it looks like Blizz is potentially paving the way for Saurfang to overthrow Sylvanas.

Sylvanas is also raising Kaldorei as Dark Rangers. I'm not sure how she is able to do this, seeing as it has been established that her Val'kyr can only reanimate Humans.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Re: 8.1 Story - Spoilers

So, it looks like the Loa did not tell Vol'jin to make Sylvanas the Warchief. Rather, an evil and powerful force made him do it.

This being/force caused him to get killed at the Broken Shore. It prevented Vol'jin from noticing the Felguard that killed him. When he was dying, he expected the Loa to come to him, but instead a evil force did. He called out to Bwonsamdi, but he didn't answer. This force told him to make Sylvanas Warchief, then took Vol'jin somewhere, but he doesn't remember where he was taken.

Something powerful and good saved him and sent him back to Azeroth, but he also doesn't know who or what did that. The Horde PC travels with him, Talanji, and Baine to try and find an answer. You first go and speak to Bwonsamdi, who remarks that he had nothing to do with it. He wants war and death, but there has to be a balance. Further, he doesn't like Sylvanas since she has a tendency to keep what isn't hers.

They then go and talk to the Lich King. He also says that he had nothing to do with it and that there must be a balance. He also tells Vol'jin that he has been altered in some way.

They then go and speak with Eyir in Stormheim. She tells them that she had no hand in it and also did not save Vol'jin, but that whatever it was is a noble force.

They all then return to Zuldazar. Vol'jin tells Talanji to lead the Zandalari righteously (confirming that Rastakhan is killed) and to do what she can to keep Sylvanas under control.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Oh great they are going to make us kill Sylvannas eventually. *sigh* But of course they will I mean Blizz always kills off the Horde leaders so I don't know why I'm shocked anymore. I'm shocked Thrall is not dead at this point.

This "powerful and good" thing is either going to be Azeroth it's self or The light and it's bound to be lame and the Alliance will be all high and mighty about it.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Vol'jin's story is shaping up to be pretty cool, as is Saurfang's.

I guess Wrathion could be involved, and it sounds like they didn't ask him. Though I'm not sure why anyone would expect the culprit to just confess by being asked, so it could easily still be the new Lich King. Hell, given his origins he could actually be a fragmented personality by now and be both the strong force for good and evil in this story ;)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Wain wrote:Vol'jin's story is shaping up to be pretty cool, as is Saurfang's.

I guess Wrathion could be involved, and it sounds like they didn't ask him. Though I'm not sure why anyone would expect the culprit to just confess by being asked, so it could easily still be the new Lich King. Hell, given his origins he could actually be a fragmented personality by now and be both the strong force for good and evil in this story ;)
The Lich King could potentially be lying. Though one part that I forgot to add is that, after Vol'jin asks his questions, the Lich King tells him that he (Vol'jin) is neither undead nor damned and that he doesn't belong here (ICC). He tells them all to leave immediately or to stay forever (then begins summoning Scourge).

It's definately possible that him or Bwonsamdi are lying. I think they are telling the truth, but there isn't anything really stopping them from lying to Vol'jin.
Setanta
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terrokar, Dentarg, Alexstrasza

Unread post by Setanta »

cowmuflage wrote:Oh great they are going to make us kill Sylvannas eventually. *sigh* But of course they will I mean Blizz always kills off the Horde leaders so I don't know why I'm shocked anymore. I'm shocked Thrall is not dead at this point.

This "powerful and good" thing is either going to be Azeroth it's self or The light and it's bound to be lame and the Alliance will be all high and mighty about it.
after seeing what Xe'ra did with Illidan, I prefer to think that it's the Naaru that sabotaged Vol'jin :)

Sargman (Void Elf) Terokkar
Serkrun (Orc) Dentarg
Untamabull (Tauren) Area 52
Sargmar (Blood Elf) Alexstrasza

If you're taking my posts 100% seriously, you're probably 150% too serious to read them.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Valnaaros wrote:
Wain wrote:Vol'jin's story is shaping up to be pretty cool, as is Saurfang's.

The Lich King could potentially be lying. Though one part that I forgot to add is that, after Vol'jin asks his questions, the Lich King tells him that he (Vol'jin) is neither undead nor damned and that he doesn't belong here (ICC). He tells them all to leave immediately or to stay forever (then begins summoning Scourge).

It's definately possible that him or Bwonsamdi are lying. I think they are telling the truth, but there isn't anything really stopping them from lying to Vol'jin.
Maybe they are both telling half truths? They both come off to me as people who you really show not trust fully. I do agree Vol'jin's story is starting to be neat. I liked giving his urn to Bwonsamdi and him having a fit that he was not in there XD I can't make myself throw it away even if it is taking up bag space.

I mean yeah it could be the Naru I would not trust them also
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Could also be a new foe. Blizz is building up Death as potentially the next enemy faction. It could've been Mueh'zala (commonly just called Death), whom is a Death Loa like Bwonsamdi but completely evil. He is commonly seen as a shadow that towers above everyone and constantly shifts his form.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Hmm I did not even think about that. If I was death I'd be a bit angry with all these undead people running around.
Setanta
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Setanta »

Valnaaros wrote:Could also be a new foe. Blizz is building up Death as potentially the next enemy faction. It could've been Mueh'zala (commonly just called Death), whom is a Death Loa like Bwonsamdi but completely evil. He is commonly seen as a shadow that towers above everyone and constantly shifts his form.

He'd have to be pretty powerful to hide himself from even the other Loa, presumably on the same level as the Naaru or Old Gods, no?

Serkrun (Orc) Dentarg

If you're taking my posts 100% seriously, you're probably 150% too serious to read them.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

He is powerful enough that he is capable of destroying Azeroth on his own, according to the Traveler novel.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Yo I hope it's literal Death, that's so cool

Probably super bad news for us, though
Setanta
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Setanta »

Krysteena wrote:Yo I hope it's literal Death, that's so cool

Probably super bad news for us, though

It is going to jump the shark if we end up with a Thanos that is trying to court Death :)

Serkrun (Orc) Dentarg

Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Sha'Halo

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Some of the new stuff leaked today.

Tyrande goes to Anduin and asks for help getting the Horde out of Darkshore as they're still there killing night elves. Anduin basicly tells her he's busy doing other things and can't do it.

Tyrande, who in her best of times is rather imperial and "DO WHAT I FRAKING SAY!!! OR DIE!!!" Has a rather... justified hissyfit. Pointing out that the Night Elves -are- Alliance and they need help now.

Anduin tells her he can't do it. The other war fronts are more important.

Tyrande tells him to get bent and she'll go do it her damn self and storms out.

Anduin looks to Genn and is like "Dude you didn't back me up!? What's up with that?"

Genn looks to the little lion and goes "When the forsaken came for my people, noone else would take us in. The Night Elves did. They gave us shelter. Saved my girl. You (Anduin) Won't send people.... but the WORGEN will go. The Night elves will not stand alone"

Which.. just makes Anduin look like more a prick. His lack of sending the ships the FIRST Time lead to the Tree burning. Now he's still refusing, basicly writing the night elves off as a lost cause.

This leads to.......

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

It should be noted that the Alliance does aid but only so much. They are currently investing a lot in Arathi, which is why he can't send a large force to Darkshore.

Rastakhan will be killed in the Burning of Zuldazar. He calls upon Bwonsamdi's power again, but it ultimately doesn't stop the Alliance from killing him. Talanji swears vengeance against the Alliance.

Whilst retreating, the Horde fights Mekkatorque and Jaina. Jaina is badly wounded, whilst Mekkatorque is on the brink of death and is frozen by his own technology. Jaina is unable to unfreeze him and the Light cannot do anything. This could possibly lead into the speculated Junker Gnomes being an allied race.

Prior to the attack, the Alliance detonates the explosives on the Zandalari ships. This greatly weakens the Zandalari fleet and, even if merged with the Horde fleet, could not stand against the Kul Tiran fleet.

Derek Proudmoore is reanimated by Sylvanas, which greatly angers Baine.

Saurfang escapes the Stockades and Stormwind. The Horde PC is sent with an elite group of Dark Ranger and Zehkan (Zappy Boi) to find him and bring him back to Orgrimmar. He is eventually located in the Swamp of Sorrows, but it then learned that the Dark Rangers lied and they were instead sent to kill Saurfang due to him committing "treason". The Horde PC, Zekhan, and Saurfang fight and kill the Dark Rangers. Saurfang then tells the PC and Zehkan to return to Orgrimmar and to lie about what happened, and to also bring hope to those that still believe in Honor.
Last edited by Valnaaros on Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Tyrande going to do the "Rite of the Night Warrior" Which pretty much everyone seems to think is a bad idea. It seems even witnessing the Rite, can kill you. And (Taking a page from Dune here.) Everyone that's attempted the rite, has not only failed but died. (Well everyone since way way the hell back when the NightElves claimed Kalimdor).

Meive and another couple of Night Elves try and talk Tyrande out of it. But she's having none of it. (And considering the last time some night elves didn't instantly jump to, when Tyrande tried something, they got slaughtered by Tyrande herself... they don't try TOO damn hard.. least she just kill um.)

So they kinda follow along behind.

Yadda yadda. You learn a bit about the Rite. Tyrande is basically forsaking the Good healy lovy Elune priestess role, and becoming an avenging incarna of the "Dark side of the moon" the "Night Warrior". Which is an ultimate badass. Basicly Night Elf Batman... (It's not really said what it IS, just that it's badass and dangerous to try)

Tyrande does it. It works and she becomes the Night Warrior.. but it's not with out problems.

Tyrande loses one of her Wardens (Sira) along the way.... and guess what? The Horde (Mentioned above) __IS__ Still in Darkshore.... they've killed the warden and Raised her as undead and she turns on the Night elves. Seeing Elune as having stood by and watched the night elves burn, she embraces being forsaken and joins up with the horde full tilt as a Dark Warden.

you find out later that the horde are raising many Night Elves to use... against the other night elves. Including the Captain that lead the Night Elves through the Pre-launch event,and died in the Cinematic after talking crap to Sylvanas and triggering the Tree burning.

When Tyrande finds out about this. Needless to say Mrs "I am the Night!!" is pretty pissed. She goes to put boot to ass and finds out Nathanos is out there with Sylvanas' Val'kyr raising the night elves.

Nathanos is just as sassy as you think he'd be and talks crap pretty well. In the end, He didn't realize that he was fighting Night Elf Batman though and Tyrande wins. She ALLLMOST kills him (or DOES kill him) but he's saved last moment by the Val'kyr sacrificing herself (Either to save him before death or raise him after, it's not clear)

This is significant, because unless my count is wrong..... that was Sylvanas' -last one-. And if she's dead (and I'm not wrong on the count) Sylvanas can't be rez'd any more... and she's lost the ability to make 'new' undead.

It's doubtful that Sylvanas is going to be too happy. She's already having a bad day.....

Which leads us to....

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Sylvanas has three Val'kyr left. However, if one more is killed, she will be unable to be resurrected, since it takes three Val'kyr to do so.
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Saurfang....

Last we saw him he was chilling in the Stockaids, and refuses to leave when we bust out the Troll Princess.

Well. It seems he got tired of being there and.. you know. Just up and left. Broke himself out. When ever he felt like it.

The Horde spies have caught wind of this so your PC is sent to find him, along with a Dark ranger tracker.

Yadda yadda you sneak around and pick up his trail. Follow him a bit as he's evading the alliance. Some fun interactions with people that saw a HUGE ORC, and huge orc prints and some racist dogs. Just racist I tell ya! Anyway. Long story short you're looking for him and you run into....

ZAPPY BOI!!!

Zappy is like 'Dude this way. Saurfang is hiding out we gotta get him out of here before the excrement hits the rotatory oscillator!!

So you head that way with Zappy....

And as best I can tell... the Dark Ranger suddenly flipps the script and goes "You (Pc) and you Zappy, stand back! I'm here on orders from the Queen!

Saurfang! You're under arrest for treason and helping the alliance! Now come out or I'll burn down this hut like we did that tree of your new aliance Frakbuddies tree!!"

And Zappy (and likely the PC) are like "The Frak did you just say????"

And she's all "Shut up. Orders from the Queen!" and she's got back up (Doesn't say what it is, but apperently there's a lot of them)

Saurfang comes out and are all "Are you kidding me? Really?"

And she's all 'Fo sho!"

And he's like "You really don't want to do this."

And she's all 'You hear me!"

And he's all "Ok.... lets dance"

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd Whups their asses up around their shoulders. Cuz he's Saurfang.....

In the end the tells Zappy, you gotta go back to org, and start a sort of underground. Telling those Horde with Honor, to hang in there. I gotta bolt.

Zappy's all "Naw Bro! My place is with you!"

And Saurfang is like 'Dude she's gonna kill you dead as crap if y ou don't go back. You gotta"

Zappy doesn't wanna go. Saurfang makes him, but to "Sell' it. Zappy's gotta be injured. So Saurfang is like 'Buck up.. I'm not used to NOT killing the things I hit!"

And hits him. Damn near kills him anyway... but Zappy lives.

Goes home to report to Sylvanas, who's all 'Saurfang.... single handedly. Killed EVERYONE I sent....... except YOU... who got... a bruise. (I get the feeling she's down playing his injuries)

Zappy's like "um...... Yes?"

She's like "Yeah right asshole." but doesn't press too hard.

So.... Saurfang is out there and telling people of the horde who have honor to hold that honor.

He's not -activly- moving against Sylvanas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Personal Theory. I don't think we're going to get Gorrash 2.0. I think Sylvanas is going to keep doing what she's doing but will end up having to turn and use her might on the "Big bad" of the expansion. The old gods or the "Death thing" that's out there jerking Vol'jin' around or what have you. And in the fight she either gets killed, saving US (Or Azeroth) Or gets injured and 'saved' by Saurfang coming in with the "honorable horde" and she passes off the leadership to him (As she never really wanted it anyway) and Saurfang is like "You can lead the undead but I'mma be watching your dead ass" and she's all "Ok as long as my undead have a place in the horde" (Or if she dies.... Arthas' lil sister takes over the Undead and keeps them in the horde)

But I don't think we're going to 'kill her' as a raid boss.

Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Valnaaros wrote:Sylvanas has three Val'kyr left. However, if one more is killed, she will be unable to be resurrected, since it takes three Val'kyr to do so.
I'm not sure she does.

She had three.

She threw herself off Icecrown, and one Sacrificed itself to Rez her.

Then she 'died' again when Godfrey shot her in the back, and the second one sacrificed itself to Rez her.

Which would leave her with one. If it sacrifices itself to Rez/save Nathanos. She may be out.

Unless you're saying she had 5, the first two did the above, and the third, does the Rez/save with Nathanos and she has two left.

But I was pretty sure she just had the three. Which is why the lantern in Legion was a big deal to her.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

She had nine to start with. One took Sylvanas' place in the darkness when she committed suicide. Eight. Three sacrificed themselves to resurrect her in Silverpine. Five. The Alliance killed one in Andorhal. Four. One of them was weakened when Nathanos' body was restored, but it wasn't killed. Now there is one being killed in Darkshore, so that'll bring the number down to three. It took three to resurrect her in Silverpine, so we can assume that it would take three to do so again should such happen. So, if the Alliance can kill another one, they would not be able to resurrect her.