8.1 Story - Spoilers

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Sha'Halo

Re: 8.1 Story - Spoilers

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Hurm. I could be mistaken. I wasn't -sure- about the number of them.

Point remains the same. She's gettin' low, and really needs them. So the loss of one is bad news. If she's still got three, that' snot as bad as if they were all dead but they seem to be a finite resource so she's gotta be careful.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

In the Dwarf Heritage Armor questline, you first retrieve a tablet from Gol'Bolar Quarry in Dun Morogh. You take this ancient tablet to Brann, whom learns from it an armor called the Bulwark of the Mountain King. You learn from Advisor Belgrum that this armor was worn by Madoran Bronzebeard, a past Thane of Ironforge and ancestor of Magni, Brann, and Muradin.

You fight through some Trogg invaders in Old Ironforge and reach Madoran's Study. When you find the armor, it is shattered. This is due to it having been enchanted to shatter when its wearer has died. You seek out Grumnus Steelshaper in Thelsamar and learn that the armor can be reshaped, but that the flames of the Great Forge are not hot enough to withstand the ancient metal.

Brann decides to journey to Ulduar and request the aid of old friends. Arriving in Ulduar, we can see that the Titanforge are hard at work repairing the facility. You see new versions of the Flame Leviathan and XT-002. Ignis the Furnace Master is also there, but he has lost control of the heat of his forge, so we help him get control of his. After helping him, he agrees to help us with the ritual to repair the armor.

Returning to Thelsamar, another friend has arrived to help: Bouldercrag the Rockshaper, whom is the leader of the Earthen in Storm Peaks. He is here to help us obtain a longer lasting Stoneform so that we can craft the armor again. However, to create the ritual, we need a piece of the latest Earthen Ritual that happened before, which is the one that turned Magni to diamond.

You get a piece of the ritual of Advisor Belgrum and make your way to the Great Forge. Ignis is already there, sitting in the lava pools, and with his aid you are able to repair the Bulwark.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Hurm. I could be mistaken. I wasn't -sure- about the number of them.

Point remains the same. She's gettin' low, and really needs them. So the loss of one is bad news. If she's still got three, that' snot as bad as if they were all dead but they seem to be a finite resource so she's gotta be careful.
There is a section about The Nine here on Wowpedia.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Xal'atah has returned. Though a lot of the events revolving around her aren't clear yet, there are a few things that are known. First off, we find her locked in a chest after being sent by someone to find her. She is in the possession of someone named Tanatoa. We uncover Xal'atath and decide to reawaken her by empowering her with the souls of Naga. The person that sent us to find her then asks for us to take her to the Precipice of Oblivion, which is a location by the Shrine of the Storms. Turns out that this person wanted to find Xal'atath so that N'zoth's army could be empowered. She awakens and offers something to N'zoth so that she can break out of her own prison, which is the dagger itself.

Xal'atath is then freed and appears as a Void Elf woman. She tells us to pray that our paths don't cross again, then departs. She does have some unique dialogue for Priest, which basically is her displeasure for how she was used in Silithus, but that the Priest was still her favorite wielder.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Personal Theory. I don't think we're going to get Gorrash 2.0. I think Sylvanas is going to keep doing what she's doing but will end up having to turn and use her might on the "Big bad" of the expansion. The old gods or the "Death thing" that's out there jerking Vol'jin' around or what have you. And in the fight she either gets killed, saving US (Or Azeroth) Or gets injured and 'saved' by Saurfang coming in with the "honorable horde" and she passes off the leadership to him (As she never really wanted it anyway) and Saurfang is like "You can lead the undead but I'mma be watching your dead ass" and she's all "Ok as long as my undead have a place in the horde" (Or if she dies.... Arthas' lil sister takes over the Undead and keeps them in the horde)

But I don't think we're going to 'kill her' as a raid boss.
You know I'd be pretty cool with that, if they did that but we all know they wont. She'll be Garrosh 2.0 and we will have another dead horde leader >.>
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

cowmuflage wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Personal Theory. I don't think we're going to get Gorrash 2.0. I think Sylvanas is going to keep doing what she's doing but will end up having to turn and use her might on the "Big bad" of the expansion. The old gods or the "Death thing" that's out there jerking Vol'jin' around or what have you. And in the fight she either gets killed, saving US (Or Azeroth) Or gets injured and 'saved' by Saurfang coming in with the "honorable horde" and she passes off the leadership to him (As she never really wanted it anyway) and Saurfang is like "You can lead the undead but I'mma be watching your dead ass" and she's all "Ok as long as my undead have a place in the horde" (Or if she dies.... Arthas' lil sister takes over the Undead and keeps them in the horde)

But I don't think we're going to 'kill her' as a raid boss.
You know I'd be pretty cool with that, if they did that but we all know they wont. She'll be Garrosh 2.0 and we will have another dead horde leader >.>
Thing is, They've said straight up that they're not doing Garrosh 2.0, and "If something looks a lot like_____ you can usually bet it's NOT" in relation to questions about her.

Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Well, they also said that the tree burning wasn't what we expected. So....they're credibility on make things subtle and complex...yeah, not so good.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Yeah, they haven't really shown that the end of the xpac won't be the same or similar to MoP. Yeah, the Horde are fighting over morals and beliefs rather than defending themselves against a ruthless dictator, but thus far they are setting up Sylvanas to be killed one way or another.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I'm still wondering if Sylvanas's storyline is leading her not necessarily to die, but to something Death related. Like the (perhaps wild) speculation about a new undead faction has some grain of truth. I keep noticing so many references to different death spirits and underworlds in this expansion not just the troll one that you'd expect. Even little references, like a ring that drops in IE that starts a small quest, the only point of which is to remind you that while Helya is defeated she isn't dead and is rebuilding her forces. Perhaps it's all coincidental and unrelated but it feels like something big is going on there.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

I mean, to be fair, we were led to believe Helya -was- dead until this week when the ring started dropping.

They kinda retconned the fact she can't die. I don't think Odyn would've sent us to kill her if he knew she couldn't be killed.

Don't forget the other Loa of Death (Mueh'zala). There's even a shrine to him in Tul'farrak in Dazar'alor. It's speculated that he's the one who brought Vol'jin back.

Also, as for Tyrande, it's important to note that Tyrande threatened to forsake Elune if she did not grant her the power for justice. So she was willing to die doing the ritual and did not want to be saved by Elune if she did die if Elune did not give her the power. That's kinda a huge character development step for Tyrande.

I am curious how Tyrande becoming the Night Warrior unlocks the Night Warrior skins for other Night Elves though. It doesn't really make much sense lore wise.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

I'd assume it's a bit hard to kill something related to death ya know? Even the Lich kings not dead it's just got a new "host".
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Mueh'zala is an evil Death Loa and believed to have been the one that told Vol'jin to choose Sylvanas as the next Warchief. The one that saved him and brought him back is a "noble force".
Setanta
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terrokar, Dentarg, Alexstrasza

Unread post by Setanta »

So what I'm getting from this storyline is that someone is going to have to "put down" Tyrande for the safety of all Azeroth :D :D :D

Sargman (Void Elf) Terokkar
Serkrun (Orc) Dentarg
Untamabull (Tauren) Area 52
Sargmar (Blood Elf) Alexstrasza

If you're taking my posts 100% seriously, you're probably 150% too serious to read them.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Why do you think that?
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I don't think that we will. She is wanting to protect her people and regain control of their land. Becoming the Night Warrior isn't an evil thing and has been done several times before (albeit it has been a long time since it last happened successfully). In lore, the Kaldorei used to be a very vicious people, but that ended when WoW started. True Kaldorei fans have been asking Blizz for years to return them to the way they were, and so this could be the first step in Blizz finally honoring their requests.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Wain wrote:I'm still wondering if Sylvanas's storyline is leading her not necessarily to die, but to something Death related. Like the (perhaps wild) speculation about a new undead faction has some grain of truth. I keep noticing so many references to different death spirits and underworlds in this expansion not just the troll one that you'd expect. Even little references, like a ring that drops in IE that starts a small quest, the only point of which is to remind you that while Helya is defeated she isn't dead and is rebuilding her forces. Perhaps it's all coincidental and unrelated but it feels like something big is going on there.
I hope she does not die. I'm mean I liked her and we need as many strong female characters we can get in this game!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

cowmuflage wrote:
Wain wrote:I'm still wondering if Sylvanas's storyline is leading her not necessarily to die, but to something Death related. Like the (perhaps wild) speculation about a new undead faction has some grain of truth. I keep noticing so many references to different death spirits and underworlds in this expansion not just the troll one that you'd expect. Even little references, like a ring that drops in IE that starts a small quest, the only point of which is to remind you that while Helya is defeated she isn't dead and is rebuilding her forces. Perhaps it's all coincidental and unrelated but it feels like something big is going on there.
I hope she does not die. I'm mean I liked her and we need as many strong female characters we can get in this game!
While I never particularly liked her - I was just never a fan of the Forsaken - the latter part is so true. And they need to be interesting and involved, on Jaina's level. To their credit, the creators do seem to be working towards that, though.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Valnaaros wrote:I don't think that we will. She is wanting to protect her people and regain control of their land. Becoming the Night Warrior isn't an evil thing and has been done several times before (albeit it has been a long time since it last happened successfully). In lore, the Kaldorei used to be a very vicious people, but that ended when WoW started. True Kaldorei fans have been asking Blizz for years to return them to the way they were, and so this could be the first step in Blizz finally honoring their requests.
Well that's the thing. Tyrande, is described as wise and sweet and a priestess of Elune.... that's what ... we're -told- she is.

But what we --see-- is a chick that drops right off her rocker at the drop of a hat. When she went to BREAK ILLIDAN out of Jail, with a "Beyond life sentence" Sort of deal, the Wardens were like "Um. Hold up. We were sworn never to let this dude out, for his crimes" and Tyrande just flips her shit and kills them. Not just like commands them aside or anything but flat out slaughters her own police/jailers/special forces units. Murders them and if memory serves a few Ancients that were there too.

She's done stuff like that before. Not to mention all the trouble she gets in routinely saving Malfurion (Who while described as totally Boss, seems to need saving every other expansion or so doesn't he?). in Legion there's entire quest lines where she's out running around slaughtering things on her own (Well with the PC) Due to Malfurion.

So she's pretty vicious and savage, even though they make out like she's some wise priestess standing in the back, smiling as moonlight plays off her hair. So the Night Warrior thing is kinda just embracing who she's always -been-, even though we've been told she wasn't.

She's Grape Flavored Batman.

SHE IS THE NIGHT!! lol

Remember. Malfurion has a new Bear form now. They didn't take the time designing that if it's not going to be used.

Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Valnaaros wrote:I don't think that we will. She is wanting to protect her people and regain control of their land. Becoming the Night Warrior isn't an evil thing and has been done several times before (albeit it has been a long time since it last happened successfully). In lore, the Kaldorei used to be a very vicious people, but that ended when WoW started. True Kaldorei fans have been asking Blizz for years to return them to the way they were, and so this could be the first step in Blizz finally honoring their requests.
Ehh yes and no. It's more like Annikin or Jacen becoming Sith, to 'Protect those they love" than anything. The Night Warrior may not be "An evil thing" but it's not a fluffy thing of light either. Isn't there some dialog where she states "Come I need to kill some more, Vengence hungers" (paraphrased, not quoted) or something like that? Implying that the powers fuling her now (Night Warrior) Are demanding slaughter and killing to satiate?

As to the question of "How does Tyrande becoming a night warrior open up the skins for us"

Because it's cool.

I mean you could look for a deeper explination if you want but it's a cool option. In Theory if Tyrande could do it, others could too and boom there ya go. Just like some bloode elves could be 'healed' by the new sun well enough to lose the Fel tint to their eyes (And gain golden eyes.)

It's neat. It gives new customization, and appeases players. The implication is that Tyrande is the 'first' to succeed in the ritual and many Night Elves that feel Elune stood buy and watched their people become crispy critters, want to do the ritual.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Tyrande has been shown to be both wise and savage. That is the way that post Kaldorei Empire and Pre-Vanilla Kaldorei were.

The Night Warrior is the vengeance aspect of Elune. So becoming a Night Warrior is to become a manifestation of vengeance, which is why she desires to kill more Horde -- the same faction that burned Teldrassil and all of the innocent people within. She does not say anything along the lines of "vengeance hungers". She asks Elune to make her into her (Elune) instrument of vengeance. She also states that she is not a queen but is instead the Kaldorei's vengeance. She also states that they will kill all of them (referring to the Forsaken), and that the more that are killed in Lor'danel, the less they have to fight later on.

The Night Warrior customization is different than golden eyes for Sin'dorei. The renewed Sunwell, now imbued with the Light, affects all Sin'dorei whether they want it to or not. Some may embrace it more than others, which is why some could have golden eyes, but it is ultimately something that could happen to any Sin'dorei. The Night Warrior ritual is a very dangerous ritual and one that often kills those that attempt to undertake it since most cannot handle Elune's raw power. And Tyrande is not the first to succeed in the ritual, just the first in a long time. The Kaldorei used the ritual to secure ancient Kalimdor, but the ritual eventually was forgotten.