Blood Beast taming search

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Re: Blood Beast taming search

Unread post by Teigan »

SlickrockGhost wrote:
Vephriel wrote:As someone who has been in love with the crawgs since they showed up, one of the saddest outcomes of this ordeal has been seeing the community change from lighthearted anticipation and excitement to bitter and jaded anger. We were all so eager to find a way to take them home. There were fun memes and optimistic suggestions. Now the community's turning on itself and everyone's feeling hurt and disappointed. Even once the "real" method is worked out I'm afraid this will have soured them for many players, and that's a real shame. :(
Plus the added spice that the first impression of this to the rest of the playerbase isn't a positive one either.
yeah :cry:
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Yeah, I wish the whole thing had been implemented differently. I don't like the idea of locking some players out of an entire family of new, highly-anticipated pets. This should have been something we all could achieve and share in together.
evil950510
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Alleria

Unread post by evil950510 »

Vephriel wrote:As someone who has been in love with the crawgs since they showed up, one of the saddest outcomes of this ordeal has been seeing the community change from lighthearted anticipation and excitement to bitter and jaded anger. We were all so eager to find a way to take them home. There were fun memes and optimistic suggestions. Now the community's turning on itself and everyone's feeling hurt and disappointed. Even once the "real" method is worked out I'm afraid this will have soured them for many players, and that's a real shame. :(
Then there was all the work that went into finding the secret and people coming together to solve the problem. Only in the end to find out we need to go farm a raid for a chance of the tome, no special hunt or trick to it, just go kill H Zul a X number of times and hope the RNG God's like you that day.
evil950510
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Alleria

Unread post by evil950510 »

This is a bug, it's a dead giveaway the tome is tied to a negative condition with the Zul fight - you are awarded the tome if the boss dies after you meet a certain condition. The condition is probably not taking damage from a certain ability or not dealing damage to adds. There are only a few things it could possibly be. One is corrupted blood, if aspect of the turtle blocks the first application.
Aroim
Pet Finder

Unread post by Aroim »

WHAAT? we need to do something in HC Raid..
This is really one of the dumbest things I've seen in my wow live .. I think at least.
If it's just killing the boss, with not 100% drop chance.. or worse, you have to do something specific in the boss fight.
*sigh*
that's really not good .. I'm pretty disappointed
Paradise Woods

Unread post by Paradise Woods »

Equeon wrote:Something few people are addressing: what the hell would the actual method be? Just a normal heroic drop without hearthing?
If that were the case, surely SOMEONE would have seen it drop by now. How many hunters, across all regions, have killed H Zul? Unless it NOT dropping in heroic was part of the bug which is definitely possible. But, now we have;

001] seeeeeekritz!!
002] "it's in game and obtainable" "...whoops, it was bugged"
003] it seems to be locked not just in a raid, not just in a current raid, but in a current heroic raid - overkill for the ability to tame a pet family
004] some players that will have crawgs and, assuming they fix this, the rest of us who didn't want to risk our accounts and don't have them

This is not like Fenryr - he was one skin in a readily available family. This is not like prestigious mounts - there are coveted mounts in many different avenues, not JUST PvP, or JUST raiding. This is one of their biggest flops, from it being overly secretive to a weird "unintended acquisition" to the implications of the actual acquisition.

I too am one of those disappointed that something with initial promise of fun turned out so horribly. At least BfA's track record remains intact.

Edit: Someone did confirm she took damage from everything and hearthed out at 3%, and still got the tome. I don't believe not taking damage has anything to do with it.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Minor rant incoming, apologies up front.

This whole thing is pretty dumb. I respect that they tried something different, but I'd rather just have it drop at an obscenely low rate from some rare out in the world with a weekly lockout than this nonsensical "puzzle". All this running around for something trivial irritates me, and it bothers me even more because I fell in love with crawgs the moment I saw their model. I don't know who wished on a Monkey's Paw for crawgs (and blood ticks), but this is not the future we deserved.

Challenge tames are fine, and I have no problem with them. Deth'tilac and the Molten Front spiders, Fenryr and the solo mythic run, and so on were amazing ideas. They provided an actual challenge that required us to understand our class. Items obtained through simple methods are also great, as Direhorns and Mechanical pets are loved by many and are easily obtained. They all have a level of satisfaction available to even the most casual of players. Even elderly players could do Fenryr at level (I had a guild member who did it, bless her heart. She cursed up all kinds of storms when she finally did it), and it was an extremely satisfying thing to accomplish. The Mage Tower was another amazing example (though poorly done for many classes), and things of that level should have become the norm; dungeon tames with a simple solo challenge, NPCs outside that require simple and obvious requirements but excellent timing and coordination, or simply a satisfying item that requires a little work to obtain. This book however threw a wrench in the gears and makes up the worst challenge tame yet, going by exploits and current knowledge as of this post.

On the topic of items, the previous two were not hard to obtain in any fashion. The Tome of Dinomancy was wonderfully implemented on the Isle of Giants, being a nice bonus for Hunters who farmed for their raptor mounts. It was a pleasant "Oh, neat!" moment, even if the pets are pretty useless to this day. Without it, we wouldn't have had the glory of the late giant babies. As for mechanicals, this was the most impressive and out of left field choice; Engineers simply made nanomachines that you snort, and you can magically "tame" robots as a result. It made no sense, and was out of place in so many ways, but obtaining it and taming your first mechanical pet just had that strange level of satisfaction. Even better were those insane challenges to obtain some robots, like the squirrel and the Gnomeregan dog. Simple, fun, and easily completed with enough patience; that is truly satisfying. This tome however holds not only dark secrets, but dark practices with the exploit folks found. To loosely quote a plethora of wowhead and discord comments, "why was this not tested?" This puzzle, which required absurd levels of investigation and near-bullying of folks who got lucky, has been nothing but horrible. Involving a raid group in a person's own greedy antics is not good practice, and I hope that when this is properly solved, it won't be something that hurts the rest of the group like the incredibly irritating (fun to use on pugs) achievement on the big bug boss whose name eludes me right now.

I hate to sound negative, but I really wanted to do the exploit prior to the extremist reactions. Unfortunately, I was too low ilvl to get pulled in to a heroic run at a meager 360. I exploited Fenryr, but later went back and did the challenge properly for the satisfaction of "earning" the tame. I wouldn't have done the same for the blood beast tome, especially since Uldir is boring.

TL:DR; This book is poorly implemented, and should have been tested. We really should have been given better notice of this, rather than a misleading twitter emote and barebones hint. The effect it had today with raiding was a disaster.
MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

Screenshot_20181223-011054.png
Screenshot_20181223-011054.png (923.96 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
I noticed wowhead used a particular image for their preview on FB...
Paradise Woods

Unread post by Paradise Woods »

MaximumOverdrive wrote:
Screenshot_20181223-011054.png
I noticed wowhead used a particular image for their preview on FB...
Yeah, I saw that too. Wondered if Veph gave permission or something, but didn't see it mentioned so I didn't ask.
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

This......this just seems lazy. :| No Hunter-esqu tracking or road trip puzzle, just a drop from a Heroic raid. I'm just sad now, got all my hopes up for a drop rate. :| :mrgreen:

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

(I was approached and asked about the xmas crawg graphic! I didn't mind them using it, though at the time I had hoped it would be for more cheerful news.)
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

I refuse to be the type of person to use an exploit that is detrimental to an entire raid group just to get Crawgs.

Yes, I could easily get into a heroic pug, but I won't do it because it'd hurt 10-20 other people.

And if it's just a low drop rate, that's not okay.

Not everyone mains their hunter, and people shouldn't have to wait until next expansion to tame an ENTIRE FAMILY on their alts.

Blizzard needs to fix this. Period.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Wow I missed everything. I am still playing catchup, but has the officially intended method been discovered? I saw rumblings it's not a 100% drop on HZul so it's intended to be farmed? That makes me shudder.

To me, this isn't like the challenges of Fenryr, porcupines, or even the tracking tames. Those brought hunters together in a lot of ways. I remember getting tips from other players on how to solo MHoV, and I have helped many with tracking and the porcupines. Even last month, while on an alt waiting for Sha of Anger to spawn, I helped a hunter who was having trouble with the blue porcupine. It was wonderful.

But this.... it feels so out of touch. I love muffinus, he (and others too) has done so much for us, and I imagine this shouldn't lie completely at his feet but I'm seriously disappointed. It's not prestigious if I could just pay for carries. Kinda the opposite really. What an absolute dumpster fire.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I don't have a problem with individual pets being limited to heroic raiding, but it doesn't seem right to me to lock a whole family behind raiding (maybe LFR would be acceptable). With that being said, has anyone tried feigning death right at the end of the fight?
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

GormanGhaste wrote:I don't have a problem with individual pets being limited to heroic raiding, but it doesn't seem right to me to lock a whole family behind raiding (maybe LFR would be acceptable). With that being said, has anyone tried feigning death right at the end of the fight?
Yes, plenty have (myself included). The intended method doesn’t involve not getting hit by certain spell since a few others and I confirmed that it doesn’t matter. Nor does it matter if we hit Crawgs or not since I helped with killing the Crawgs that spawned, and I’m sure that most that joined a group and got the tome also did.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

I stick by what I said on the main forums.

They need to make the book drop in all difficulties, including LFR, as long as whatever the hidden trigger is done. An entire family should not be locked behind a current expansion heroic raid, period. Especially a pet family that's clearly designed around PvP. (Ranged Snare, really?)

If they want a "prestigious" Crawg Model for BFA, then give the second boss in Underrot a unique model in 8.2, and add a Fenryr situation. If a hunter can solo Leaxa and him in Mythic, then a tameable version spawns.
Dino
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Dino »

My problem is this:
1. It wasn't tested on the ptr. Only that the tome "works" with taming the mob. It was a vendor item test. It didn't come from drops and there was no secret hunt to get the item.
2. It goes live with new patch with no word on how to get it. So I just assume that it's a secret put in the game. May be a secret quest or vendor. Which would have been a great method.
3. It gets locked behind a heroic raid boss, A WHOLE PET FAMILY. A huge exploit bug that people are taking advantage of, and are ruining pug groups for the raid itself and stopping natural progression.

It was a huge mistake to lock it behind a raid. And if we bring it up on the wow forum we get told that we're not trying hard enough, get good, that we don't have a right to complain, etc.

I have wasted a lot of time since the patch went live trying to find this item along with helping to solve the Hivemind. Others have wasted their time trying to help with the hunt. This is how the community is rewarded? I come back from college with time to try and help find this item only to find out that I can't help find the solution. I'm stuck trying to catch up with my gear now to even hope to attempt to get into a raid. And that's if people will let hunters back in the raid since this bug hurt the chance of any hunter queing now. I can not bring myself to hurt a raid group like that. Not when my morals are to always be a team player. I just can't.
Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

Once the right way is found then there may be friendship crawg groups forming like how players helped others get the bird and moose as much as I want a crawg I am going to wait till the real way is found by then hunters won't be in a bad place like they are now so getting a group shouldn't be that hard. And yes this is a dumb move on their part not everyone likes to raid but there are times we have to suck it up.
SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Everywhere

Unread post by SlickrockGhost »

evil950510 wrote:The whole intent of this is the emoji Muffinus posted to farm Uldir over and over, so even months from now hunters will be making H Uldir groups for a chance of the tome. Blizzard is really grasping at straws to find ways for players to go back and play same raids even after the next one releases. They have ran out of ways to keep players invested in thier game and are stooping to the laziest way. Wonder how many months from now before hunters will be able to get into a Uldir pug once again?
If that's the case... I may go try and it it the "bad" way, as eff farming for it..
SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Everywhere

Unread post by SlickrockGhost »

Myzou wrote:I refuse to be the type of person to use an exploit that is detrimental to an entire raid group just to get Crawgs.

Yes, I could easily get into a heroic pug, but I won't do it because it'd hurt 10-20 other people.

And if it's just a low drop rate, that's not okay.

Not everyone mains their hunter, and people shouldn't have to wait until next expansion to tame an ENTIRE FAMILY on their alts.

Blizzard needs to fix this. Period.
Yeah, this too. Unless I find a pug group fine with me hearthing out at 3%, not going to do it. And no way will I farm it after the next raid is out.

If there's a mechanic to it, we can form mostly hunter raids to get it. If it's just a stupid low drop rate, then screw that.