8.2 Beasts

For discussion of the current expansion - pets, mounts, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
User avatar
Wain
The Insane
The Insane
Posts: 11844
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:54 am
Gender: Male

Re: 8.2 Beasts

Unread post by Wain » Fri May 03, 2019 10:17 pm

I guess they could be given their own family. It’s just there’s nothing about them physically that fits with the serpent family, other than a long body. They may as well classify shark rays as birds of prey because they can fly.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.

Valnaaros
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3910
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:16 pm
Realm: Shadow Council
Gender: Male

Re: 8.2 Beasts

Unread post by Valnaaros » Fri May 03, 2019 11:37 pm

Wain wrote:I guess they could be given their own family. It’s just there’s nothing about them physically that fits with the serpent family, other than a long body. They may as well classify shark rays as birds of prey because they can fly.
Agreed. I'm hoping that them being in the Serpent family is just temporary and there are other plans. I personally wouldn't mind them being an Exotic pet, seeing as they are rather exotic and use electricity in their attacks and defenses, which is more than what worms can do. If not an exotic, then they should still have their own family. They are too different from any other existing family.

User avatar
Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 4458
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:44 pm
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.
Gender: Female

Re: 8.2 Beasts

Unread post by Silivren » Sat May 04, 2019 12:14 am

I'm BM on my main but if we're being honest.. nothing about worms as a whole says exotic. Sure make them worms if you want but worms don't need to be exotic. Blizzard's families are so messed up what is exotic and what isn't that it isn't even funny. I could tame a freaking hydra as a survival or mm hunter but not a freaking worm, are you kidding me? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image


User avatar
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 16010
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:07 pm
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US
Gender: Female
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: 8.2 Beasts

Unread post by Vephriel » Sat May 04, 2019 1:13 am

The exotic specification makes sense actually, I hadn't thought of it that way, but I do hope Serpent's just a placeholder in that case because they feel like they should have their own family, especially since they should have some sort of unique lighting ability.

User avatar
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Posts: 371
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:17 pm

Re: 8.2 Beasts

Unread post by Dialga » Sat May 04, 2019 1:44 am

Speaking of beasts in 8.2, I checked on tamed Marsh Gulpers/Bufo/Stunted Direhorns on the PTR, and it seems they're still bugged and shrunk sadly :( Hopefully a patch can fix them up to a proper size someday.

User avatar
Wain
The Insane
The Insane
Posts: 11844
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:54 am
Gender: Male

Re: 8.2 Beasts

Unread post by Wain » Sat May 04, 2019 11:19 am

Valnaaros wrote:
Wain wrote:I guess they could be given their own family. It’s just there’s nothing about them physically that fits with the serpent family, other than a long body. They may as well classify shark rays as birds of prey because they can fly.
Agreed. I'm hoping that them being in the Serpent family is just temporary and there are other plans. I personally wouldn't mind them being an Exotic pet, seeing as they are rather exotic and use electricity in their attacks and defenses, which is more than what worms can do.
I've been wondering for some time if different models, or even individual NPCS, in the same family could be configured to have different damage types, even though they still do the same amount of damage. Maybe they could all still do physical damage + another type. For example, some chimaeras (in the game, not as pets) do electrical (= nature) damage and others do frost (and I think others do fire, and maybe even acid/nature?). Hydras display a similar range of damage types. In the case of worms, most have acid attacks, while tidal guardians (if they were classed as worms) are electrical, and both these types are just nature damage. Spirit Beasts could do arcane damage. Void Stalkers could do shadow damage instead of the usual type for warp stalkers.

Family special abilities would have to be configured to give different wording depending on the individual's attack type.

I don't know if this is feasible (could the game query the damage types of their spells?) but it would give pets in the same family a little more variety, in an interesting way.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.

Valnaaros
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3910
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:16 pm
Realm: Shadow Council
Gender: Male

Re: 8.2 Beasts

Unread post by Valnaaros » Sat May 04, 2019 11:28 am

That'd be interesting if they could do that. :)

User avatar
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 1933
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:25 am

Re: 8.2 Beasts

Unread post by pop » Sun May 05, 2019 11:11 pm

Wain wrote:
Valnaaros wrote:
Wain wrote:I guess they could be given their own family. It’s just there’s nothing about them physically that fits with the serpent family, other than a long body. They may as well classify shark rays as birds of prey because they can fly.
Agreed. I'm hoping that them being in the Serpent family is just temporary and there are other plans. I personally wouldn't mind them being an Exotic pet, seeing as they are rather exotic and use electricity in their attacks and defenses, which is more than what worms can do.
I've been wondering for some time if different models, or even individual NPCS, in the same family could be configured to have different damage types, even though they still do the same amount of damage. Maybe they could all still do physical damage + another type. For example, some chimaeras (in the game, not as pets) do electrical (= nature) damage and others do frost (and I think others do fire, and maybe even acid/nature?). Hydras display a similar range of damage types. In the case of worms, most have acid attacks, while tidal guardians (if they were classed as worms) are electrical, and both these types are just nature damage. Spirit Beasts could do arcane damage. Void Stalkers could do shadow damage instead of the usual type for warp stalkers.

Family special abilities would have to be configured to give different wording depending on the individual's attack type.

I don't know if this is feasible (could the game query the damage types of their spells?) but it would give pets in the same family a little more variety, in an interesting way.
I support this whole heartedly. I want a fire damage % implemented for my dragonhawk and its basic attack renamed into dragon hawk breath!

User avatar
syiler
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:54 am
Realm: Outland Alliance

Re: 8.2 Beasts

Unread post by syiler » Tue May 07, 2019 10:20 pm

Found a tamable crab in Nazjatar

Image

This was Needlespine a rare found just to the left of The Tidal Conflux. Nothing noteworthy regarding the tame.

WerebearGuy
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:37 pm
Realm: Shadowsong, Borean Tundra
Gender: The Left Checkmark

Re: 8.2 Beasts

Unread post by WerebearGuy » Tue May 07, 2019 10:21 pm

Excellent! There is hope for more after all.

Image

Crawgs are the best hunter pet. Prove me wrong.
Oh wait...you can't!

ImageImageImage
Name the game these characters are from, and I'll be amazed.


Valnaaros
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3910
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:16 pm
Realm: Shadow Council
Gender: Male

Re: 8.2 Beasts

Unread post by Valnaaros » Tue May 07, 2019 10:40 pm

Tide Guardians are now members of the Worm family.

Valnaaros
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3910
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:16 pm
Realm: Shadow Council
Gender: Male

Re: 8.2 Beasts

Unread post by Valnaaros » Tue May 07, 2019 10:47 pm

New Hermit Crabs are tamable with today's build
Image

It looks like the rest of the Spider Crabs have been made tamable today.
Image

Image
Image
Image

The new hydras are now tamable

Image
Image
Image

worgpower
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:57 pm
Realm: Dethecus
Gender: Male

Re: 8.2 Beasts

Unread post by worgpower » Wed May 08, 2019 12:53 am

Have any of you tested taking the black level 121 snapdragons, it tells me they’re to high of a level to tame, and I love the black one

Valnaaros
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3910
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:16 pm
Realm: Shadow Council
Gender: Male

Re: 8.2 Beasts

Unread post by Valnaaros » Wed May 08, 2019 12:58 am

worgpower wrote:Have any of you tested taking the black level 121 snapdragons, it tells me they’re to high of a level to tame, and I love the black one
Yeah, that one and the Matriarch cannot be tamed until the next xpac, unless their lvls are lowered. :/

worgpower
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:57 pm
Realm: Dethecus
Gender: Male

Re: 8.2 Beasts

Unread post by worgpower » Wed May 08, 2019 1:36 am

Looks like I can’t complete my black reptile collection for now, imma have to tame a white panthara along with a white snapdragon

User avatar
Qraljar
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:21 pm
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU
Gender: Male

Re: 8.2 Beasts

Unread post by Qraljar » Wed May 08, 2019 7:47 am

I'm guessing both the 7.3.5 Silithids in Silithus and the Abyssal Worms in Nazjatar are still untameable?
Image
Kunchong for hunter pets!


Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!

Valnaaros
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3910
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:16 pm
Realm: Shadow Council
Gender: Male

Re: 8.2 Beasts

Unread post by Valnaaros » Wed May 08, 2019 11:12 am

Qraljar wrote:I'm guessing both the 7.3.5 Silithids in Silithus and the Abyssal Worms in Nazjatar are still untameable?
Correct. I checked both :/

That being said, the Abyss Worms are in the serpent family. I don’t recall if they were originally or not.

User avatar
Qraljar
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:21 pm
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU
Gender: Male

Re: 8.2 Beasts

Unread post by Qraljar » Wed May 08, 2019 12:31 pm

Valnaaros wrote:
Qraljar wrote:I'm guessing both the 7.3.5 Silithids in Silithus and the Abyssal Worms in Nazjatar are still untameable?
Correct. I checked both :/

That being said, the Abyss Worms are in the serpent family. I don’t recall if they were originally or not.
I'm honestly just gonna give up on the Silithids. I'd really like one that isn't a garish red, but hey, I'm not a cat lover so I guess it only makes sense for me to wait 1,3 years for them to even flick the tameability switch on something that should've been tameable, well- over a year ago.

Holding out hope for Abyss Worms, still, I guess. Serpent family makes sense for them, whereas worm makes sense for Tidal Guardians. Not sure if them being added to the serpent family is a new development, though. I'm sure Wain would know more about that- here's hoping..
Image
Kunchong for hunter pets!


Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!

worgpower
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:57 pm
Realm: Dethecus
Gender: Male

Re: 8.2 Beast

Unread post by worgpower » Thu May 09, 2019 10:18 am

There are some beasts on the unused looks that are used, like the real snapdragon and the black & yellow tidal guardian(I have on the PTR), brown and gray snapdragon is used aswell

Valnaaros
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3910
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:16 pm
Realm: Shadow Council
Gender: Male

Re: 8.2 Beast

Unread post by Valnaaros » Thu May 09, 2019 11:12 am

worgpower wrote:There are some beasts on the unused looks that are used, like the real snapdragon and the black & yellow tidal guardian(I have on the PTR), brown and gray snapdragon is used aswell
I believe those are all included on my list on the first page of this thread. But if you or anyone finds anything not on that list, please let me know :)

Post Reply